• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I love Aliens but it's such a weird sequel since it's basically a different genre. Like, imagine a Signs 2 where Mel Gibson plays his typical action hero role slaughtering hordes of aliens instead of Saxons. That's Aliens.

It's funny how that's basically exactly the Terminator 1 > 2 arc.

Oct 30, 2017
If it's the first time watching Aliens, I yeah I can understand to recommend the theatrical cut, but for me, since I've already seen it so many times, it not like there is any surprises to the story anymore so I prefer the extended cut every time I watch it now.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Have the people who keep saying Aliens is an entirely different genre to Alien only watched the last 15 mins of Aliens or what?

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Yeah, it's a great, great movie. I still prefer Alien, but it's like 1a and 1b.

One of my favorite movies of all time. I even got a half sleeve tattooed because of it.

www.instagram.com

Josh Bodwell on Instagram: "“They mostly come out at night, mostly.” Made this Aliens halfsleeve over two days on my tough as nails client! Made with @starbritecolors at @downtowntattoosnola ⚜️⚜️Currently Booking Oct/Nov Dates! ⚜️⚜️#tattoo #tattoos #

1,001 likes, 68 comments - joshbodwell on September 22, 2020: "“They mostly come out at night, mostly.” Made this Aliens halfsleeve over two days on my tough as nails client! Made with @starbritec..."

Wow that's pretty nuts.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
What I said is more aimed at people who say that Cameron turned Alien from a tense horror into an action flick.

There is no film on the planet that stretches out a sense of rising tension as long as Aliens and actually manages to successfully maintain it. It's a survival thriller whose first 'action' sequence (that sees the marines decimated in a couple minutes) doesn't happen until over an hour into the film. From there it's just more ramping tension until the finale. Calling it an action flick first has always been weird as hell to me. People just latched into the image of Ripley with a gun belt on and forget what the film actually entails.

Oh, and the special edition/director's cut isthe way to go.

Agreed. It scared the shit out of me when I first saw it. I was 8 years old, but still.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This thread had me hankering for a rewatch. And then my internet went out for most of the day. Luckily I had my bluray rip on my NAS so I watched the directors cut in a massive virtual cinema on my Quest 2. It was fantastic (although pretty grainy and I shouldn't be surprised at the aspect ratio being so tall but I'd forgotten)

Watching it made me wonder if Cameron has a common art/production design team he likes to work with. the Dropship is pretty similar to HKs in T2 and the gunships in Avatar. And the rear projection + electrical arcs had me reminded a lot of T2 as well.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Aliens > Alien > Alien 3 Assembly Cut > Alien 3 > Prometheus > Alien: Resurrection > Alien: Covenant

I have spoken.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The problem I have with Alien 3 which is almost insurmountable, is how they fuck up what Aliens does by what they do to those characters at the start of the film.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am Hispanic and I was never offended by the Vázquez/Vásquez thing.

I'm hispanic and Vasquez is my fave.

AliensVasquez4.gif

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Alien is more horror than Aliens, but I still put the sequel into my "favorite horror movies ever" list

This is one of the best scenes in any horror movie ever.. and for me, it's the most terrifying looking scene in the whole series

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Is Assemly Cut the directors cut of 3 that was on the DVD?

Yes and no, it's not really a director's cut as David Fincher never finished his film and wanted nothing to do with it after the studio interference but the assembly cut is the extended version which was on dvd.

The dvd version audio was pretty poor in some places but they improved it on the blu-ray by getting some of the actors to re-record some of the audio.

Oct 27, 2017
Great film. I first saw it when I was 10, at a friend's house and his 18 year old brother had the VHS so we nicked it and watched it. Terrified me, and it really stuck with me.

I'm in the mood to watch all the films again, are they on any streaming services? Google Play has all 6 films for £29.99 which I'm tempted by.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Calling Aliens an action movie has always been one of the weirdest takes of all time to me.

A lot of people like to parrot the simple talking point that "Alien was a horror movie, Aliens is an action movie."

Every time I've seen this movie with friends, the third act always, without fail, leaves everyone present in stunned, riveted silence, completely caught up in the tension of Ripley's rescue, all the way up to the Alien Queen getting jettisoned out of the air-lock. That is the power of this film.

Nov 7, 2017
Alien is more horror than Aliens, but I still put the sequel into my "favorite horror movies ever" list

This is one of the best scenes in any horror movie ever.. and for me, it's the most terrifying looking scene in the whole series
Great scene. Aliens is my favourite movie of all time- managed to see it in a theatre recently and it was still amazing. The scene where the find the cocooned woman is still horrific even after so many rewatches and to me is more shocking then the one in the first movie. Theres a constant feeling of dread and hopelessness over the entire movie.

I think overall it's a far more tense and suspenseful movie than Alien.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Having just watched it, its much more a suspense/horror movie than an action one. Its pretty slow in many places as it builds up tension and the action (as in shooty shooty aliens) is quite contained and very abstract. You see very little except flashing muzzles, tiny glimpses of exploding aliens, and chaos. Its deliberately hard to follow and disorienting. Heck the first big encounter is almost entirely done through close ups of low resolution, indistinct helmet cams and bio-readouts - not much clear marine-on-alien action at all.

OP
OP
Mona

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
alright im changing the OP to say horror

although i do think theres a considerable amount of action in the film, but "action" movie or no its still one of the best horror movies ever made aswell

Last edited:

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Aliens fucking sucks, don't @ me.

It might have been fine for what it is if only it weren't Alien's sequel. Alien is such a well crafted and paced movie and then Aliens is just... Rambo 2. It's baffling, it's garbage.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

It might have been fine for what it is if only it weren't Alien's sequel. Alien is such a well crafted and paced movie and then Aliens is just... Rambo 2. It's baffling, it's garbage.
You known this isn't true yet you wrote it anyway.

Monster.

Oct 31, 2017
From left to right:
Hudson - Burk - mystery head - Dietrich - Vasquez- Hicks - Wierzbowski - Ripley - Drake - Frost - Spunkmeyer - Bishop - Ferro - Gorman - Apone

As for Jennette Goldstein playing Hispanic, she is part Brazilian, so I'm okay with it.

Brazilians aren't hispanics.

But I'm okay with it anyways. It wasn't in poor taste and she played the role great. Furthermore the movie is awesome. I might watch the movie again tonight

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I mean.. ok?

Otoh, Aliens is one of the best sequels of all time next to ESB and Godfather2, experly crafted and purposedly made into a different genra than the original, on a near shoestring budget (compared to the scale of the result).

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
It absolutely has the depth of the original. It's actually criminal how much people underestimate how much is going on in Aliens' script.

And it's a shame that most people fail to recognise that Aliens basically invented the on-screen 'dude bro space marines'. If it seems cliche to you, it's because literally every film with them since have all copied them from Aliens. It's iconic.
Even Ripley facepalms. At least they were self-aware.

Oct 25, 2017
We got that great 4k remaster of Alien for its 40th anniversary, but I'm holding out hope that they don't make us wait another 5 years for Aliens to get the same treatment.

OP
OP
Mona

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i think it might be in the running for some of the best rear screen projection usage in history

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
It's my all time favorite film, the pacing, the characters, the suspense, the atmosphere. Its amazing start to finish.

Oct 31, 2017
Hispania covered all the Iberian peninsula: Spain and Portugal. So Portuguese people and their descendents come from Hispania.
500px-Conquista_Hispania.svg.png

en.wikipedia.org

Hispania - Wikipedia

www.census.gov

About the Hispanic Population and it's Origin

This section provides detailed information and statistics on Hispanic Origin. Find the latest news, publications, and other content.

OMB defines "Hispanic or Latino" as a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race.

Brazil is not a country with a Spanish culture and it is not a Spanish speaking country. I have had Brazilians get mad at me for calling them hispanics. Brazilians don't see themselves as hispanics. Latinos, yes. Hispanics, no.

Lusophones would be the correct term for Brazilians besides Latinos.

So I will stand by what I said.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
www.census.gov

About the Hispanic Population and it's Origin

This section provides detailed information and statistics on Hispanic Origin. Find the latest news, publications, and other content.

Brazil is not a country with a Spanish culture and it is not a Spanish speaking country. I have had Brazilians get mad at me for calling them hispanics. Brazilians don't see themselves as hispanics. Latinos, yes. Hispanics, no.

Lusophones would be the correct term for Brazilians besides Latinos.

So I will stand by what I said.
Hispania is the name Romans gave to the regions that are now Portugal and Spain. Semantics and all, but people from Hispania are Spaniards and Portuguese.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
An amazing movie, nothing else to say. Vastly preferable to me over Alien, the first movie is a snore fest.

Camerons first major Hollywood movie, not see a big budget debut like it since.

Also, as for female superheroes ...... they ain't got shit on Ripley.

Hope he got banned for calling Alien a snorefest

Oct 29, 2017
It's fine to say it is an action movie. It's not entirely right, same as saying Saving Private Ryan is an action movie, but it's not wrong either.

At the end of the day genre is identifying elements that cater to certain desires the viewer is looking for in a film. Aliens has one big action climax that would make Die Hard blush, if people have that desired for action satisfied, then they are not wrong to label the film that way.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
I would like to appeal to the OP's topic specificy and request that we open the floor on a more general granularity. To this effect I present exhibits A and B (NSFW I.. think):

Aliens is a great movie but there is much more here, folks

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
Easily my most watched movie.

I get the argument that Alien was scarier, but Aliens is just a fun fucking movie.

I watched both when I was far too young to see either but Aliens scared me more at the time. Bought a digital copy of Alien recently and have watched it a quite a few times. It definitely hits different now. But I still like Aliens better.

Oct 31, 2017
Hispania is the name Romans gave to the regions that are now Portugal and Spain. Semantics and all, but people from Hispania are Spaniards and Portuguese.

Hispanics, as it is used today, is not what Brazilians consider themselves. And going by definition they are not. Not sure why you are going down a historic rabbit hole if the term used today is for people of Spanish culture and countries as specified in the census.gov website.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I've always enjoyed Alien (the original) considerably more than anything else in the franchise. It nails the gritty lived-in spaceship, the scifi- horror aspect, practical effects, casting, writing, and pretty much everything in between tremendously. Aliens is still a pretty great action movie and sequel, though, and I understand why many people like it so much.
Totally agreed.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Hispanics, as it is used today, is not what Brazilians consider themselves. And going by definition they are not. Not sure why you are going down a historic rabbit hole if the term used today is for people of Spanish culture and countries as specified in the census.gov website.
No rabbit hole. It's just their History. Just like they call themselves Latin.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Alien is probably my favorite movie of all time but Aliens is still extremely good and possibly top 10. If I have a complaint it's with Hicks, quite a boring character

Fatagnus

Dec 24, 2017
One of the best action films ever made. The 80's were truly a golden age of cinema if you ask me(action genre especially). Used to watch this on a worn out VHS tape as a kid. Hasn't aged badly whatsoever.

just acquired a 35mm film scan of this recently, Great way to view it.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Latin is different and they call themselves latinos/latinas.

You can keep being offensive towards them and calling them something they are not using today's definition of the word. That is your choice.
No difference really. Latin comes from the Romans too, just like the name Hispania. Even the name Portugal comes from the Romans. It's just strange to deny the geography and etymology of the word Hispania. And of course it is not offensive to all Portuguese.