• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What’s the best film of Ridley Scott?

• Alien

Votes: 331 62.0%
  • Blade Runner

Votes: 203 38.0%

• Total voters

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Seriously watch both preferably in 4K.

Alien is a timeless film that has aged like wine and that has marvelous set pieces.

I can never get over that 80s aesthetic in Blade Runner. It hasn't aged that well, and there are scenes that play funny. The soundtrack creates this cozy feeling though. And Harrison Ford is very handsome in it.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
gotta go Alien

Blade Runner has some incredible highs, but the lows kind of are an issue, Alien is more consistent overall

imagine 2 of your first 3 movies being 2 of the best scifi films ever made

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In a world where most contemporary dystopian cyberpunk aesthetics come from a very Apple-inspired point of view with sleek looks and glitchy interfaces, I feel Blade Runner's aesthetic has aged exceptionally well and is all the more distinct over the ages. Even 2049 manages to recapture much of that analogue feel so well which was one of the things I was worried about.

That said, Blade Runner also feels like such a markedly meandering film which I feel was also improved with its sequel in some aspects, so ultimately I feel like the answer is Alien in term of film making execution.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm doing what Adam Savage does and pretend they're in the same universe, so I'm not gonna choose. :D

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
They got one thing in common! Both have better sequels.
tumblr_inline_p1re4fUmsi1r2mxx4_540.gif

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alien is so close to being visually perfect. I have no idea why during production no one ever said "hey we should cut this shot by half a second so the audience doesn't notice that the alien is just a tall guy in a rubber suit trying to hug them".

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
ALIEN is a better made film in nearly every regard, but I like BLADE RUNNER more.

ALIEN>ALIENS
BLADE RUNNER: 2049> BLADE RUNNER

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The real question is what the better sequel is. Aliens or Blade Runner 2049?
But to answer the question it is Blade Runner for me.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Alien is a better film and more influential as much as I love Blade Runner.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
As much of an Alien fanboy that i am, Bladerunner puts it to absolute shame, masterpiece of film, Alien is just a semi subversive slasher film in space, with good sets, that doesn't mean it's bad, but Bladerunner is just on another level when it comes to ideas & general thought provoking

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Alien is the more entertaining film. Blade Runner is the prettier. Do you want to know what's the nicest looking or the film that keeps me engaged more?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Alien is a better movie, but Blade Runner's cyberpunk aesthetic is iconic and speaks to me more.

BR2049 is better than both.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alien easily. I like blade runner too but not nearly as much. I thought BR 2049 was better in every way.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
The real question is what the better sequel is. Aliens or Blade Runner 2049?
But to answer the question it is Blade Runner for me.
Aliens is one of the best action films ever made and BR2049 is an overlong borefest with pretty visuals, and I usually love Villeneuve's work.

On topic, hard choice, but I'll go with BR, Alien is undeniably more influential though.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Blade Runner is my favourite of the two, but there are more issues present. Certain scenes just look ridiculous... Thankfully, we have the FINAL CUT.

Alien, meanwhile, is nearly flawless. Filming also pre-dates BR by 3 years.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Alien easily wins this. Still a fantastic movie from start to finish.
Unlike the confusing Blade Runner, there's only 1 real version too, the supposed "director's cut" is simply an alternate take that actually cuts other stuff to add in some deleted scenes, it's a curiosity for fans more than anything else.

Blade Runner is super influential and looks/sounds great, but the movie itself is kinda underwhelming. Maybe I shouldn't have read the book first... 2049 is the better film, IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen Alien a million a times. I haven't managed to sit through an entire sitting of Blade Runner even once. (Love BR2 though!)