• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh Outlast 2 had me shitting my pants, this is probably scarier, right?

Why am I doing this to myself...

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I bought it on Xbox One on release, but I didn't finish it, so I think I'll buy it on Switch and play it again, it was such a wonderful horror experience!

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Feral has done an AMAZING job with the GRID port, bodes super well for this one and I see that all DLCs, gyro aiming, motion controls have been confirmed already.

Can't wait to see all the Switch-specific features they've implemented for this release too.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It looks like the Switch version is using some kind of temporal AA? The trailer and comparison above looks *very* clean (although obviously a little blurry compared to the XB1X version due to resolution), but still, there's plenty of shader aliasing even on the PC version (without the TAA mod) and consoles as well, and Switch seems to avoid that problem.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
There is no Wii U version of A:I and it never had an X1X patch so it's power is pretty meaningless for this game.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Did the game just not make enough for a sequel? Or is it because Disney has the Alien license now that it won't get a sequel?

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I cant stress enough how much I love this game

Having another of my GOTG portable (Witcher 3 being the other) is magical

What an amazing console the Switch is

The exclusive features are nice, but giro aiming will be basically useless, since this is not a shooter, but its cool.

But I can imagine some smart use of the HD rumble

Visually, Digital Foundry said at the time that PS4 and Xbox could probably run the game at 60 fps, because the game was really optmized.

So from the trailer, I expect the game to run 720p portable but being more akin visually to last gen versions, which arent that much different honestly. Great shadow detail from the gameplay video, which is very important in a game like this

In Feral I trust

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if anyone has not had the opportunity to play elsewhere, this is an excellent survival horror game. One of the best of the gen, easily.

Space Hunter

Feb 12, 2018
So, for anybody wondering about framerate and resolution...

Super stoked for this. I watched a let's play when the game first came out and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I've never played it myself. This seems like the perfect opportunity to jump in!

Oct 26, 2017
This is going to look sharp AF in portable mode. Good thing too. The game has a ton of small texture detail that would be lost otherwise. The visual design of the decals, stickers, signs and logos in this game is absolutely outrageously good.

I am contemplating about getting this version now, but most likely will have to wait for a sale.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
So, for anybody wondering about framerate and resolution...

Super stoked for this. I watched a let's play when the game first came out and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I've never played it myself. This seems like the perfect opportunity to jump in!

1080p for TV mode is really good. That's nice to know. Definitely interested.
Why compare it with prev gen? Wii u is already better then prev gen. Switch is closser to current gen. Anyway the first compare vid which i found:

Remember xbox x is the strongest console atm.

Nice video.
it seems to be a really faithful port all things considered. The most obvious change is the contrast but the rest looks about the same.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol at comparing this to the One X version. The game has no patch or enhancements whatsoever for the console and the texture filtering was already great so even that can't benefit.

Regardless, this port does look good but I'm not getting it if it's digital only.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Not a horrible price, though I expected a bit cheaper. All around though, i'm surprised Sega has been keeping the price of the title rather high on all-platforms. Even on PC it only ever went as cheap as $8 bucks. It must be a decent seller if they aren't just slapping it down to $5 bucks.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
huh, this is more than i ever thought we'd see from this game/franchise again

hopefully this means there's still hope for a sequel

Not a horrible price, though I expected a bit cheaper. All around though, i'm surprised Sega has been keeping the price of the title rather high on all-platforms. Even on PC it only ever went as cheap as $8 bucks. It must be a decent seller if they aren't just slapping it down to $5 bucks.
yeah it's really maintained it's price which i hope is a positive thing?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

I think everything about the game is decided by Feral. Grid Autosport was also $35. Both Sega and Codemasters are not that strict about licenses and it seems Feral picking games with lax publishers from their portfolio to port to Switch.

They denied the possibility of a Bioshock port for instance.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019

Nice video.
it seems to be a really faithful port all things considered. The most obvious change is the contrast but the rest looks about the same.

Most of the time such Youtubers don't know what they do and use Switch with limited RGB settings, the result is a brighter image with less contrast.

If you use a Switch on a modern TV that has full RGB range you should turn on full RGB in Switch settings too.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Looks like the framerate is kinda bad. I think 1080p is probably too much for the Switch.

Also, is it me or does it have TAA? This game was infamous for its jaggies, and there are none to be seen here...

dedge

Sep 15, 2019

Nice video.
Well it's also not X enhanced so it's really Switch vs Base Xbox One but it does look good.

Oct 30, 2017
Most of the time such Youtubers don't know what they do and use Switch with limited RGB settings, the result is a brighter image with less contrast.

If you use a Switch on a modern TV that has full RGB range you should turn on full RGB in Switch settings too.
Is this true? I didn't think this was true. I have a 2018 LG OLED and I had been told limited RGB was the way to go. Same with PS4.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like the framerate is kinda bad. I think 1080p is probably too much for the Switch.

Also, is it me or does it have TAA? This game was infamous for its jaggies, and there are none to be seen here...

Contranetwork has a framerate test video in docked mode and it's a solid 30fps except for a small dip(about 23 fps) in a particular moment. The video creator mentioned in the comments that there was a similar dip at the same spot in the ps360 versions- and there it was in the teens.

Gianko

Nov 1, 2017
ROME, ITALY
Is this true? I didn't think this was true. I have a 2018 LG OLED and I had been told limited RGB was the way to go. Same with PS4.
sorry for the op but i really want to understand this. i have a 2018 sony oled tv and i've noticed that if i use limited range for hdmi, there is more contrast but the image is darker (too dark sometime).
full rgb on the Switch and full range on the tv is the way to go or not?

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019

Just try it? If have a LG OLed and picture looks much better with full range on Switch and TV.

Thats said, if you have a cheap or bad OLed or LCD with a relatively dark/unevenly lit picture limited RGB can help, because it make the picture brighter at the expense of contrast and color accuracy.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just try it? If have a LG OLed and picture looks much better with full range on Switch and TV.

Thats said, if you have a cheap or bad OLed or LCD with a relatively dark/unevenly lit picture limited RGB can help, because it make the picture brighter at the expense of contrast and color accuracy.
This is incorrect. If your levels are matched, they will appear virtually indistinguishable by eye. If full RGB appears darker or limited is washed out then your settings are wrong.

Oct 30, 2017
This is incorrect. If your levels are matched, they will appear virtually indistinguishable by eye. If full RGB appears darker or limited is washed out then your settings are wrong.
I was running Full RGB and Black Level High on my C8, but it seemed like Limited RGB/Black Level Low looked better to me.
Still not clear on what I should be setting my switch and myTV to.

On topic. I love Alien Isolation so much. Will double dip.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019

This depends on the TV. Limited range has lower contrast on OLEDS TV and dark levels are brighter (as they should because darkness of 0 is not possible in limited RGB). Full range looked always better than limited range.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Why are people so adamant that we'll never get a sequel? I know sales didn't meet expectations, but by now the community has pretty much made it clear just how important this game is.

A Switch port, if anything, is a good sign. It wouldn't happen if Sega still felt that the game was a collosal failure, like IGN wanted us to believe ( I still hate them for that review).

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Why compare it with prev gen? Wii u is already better then prev gen. Switch is closser to current gen. Anyway the first compare vid which i found:

Remember xbox x is the strongest console atm.

Looks like they implemented a proper temporal AA, makes huge difference with the chosen art direction.