• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna get this and try it out. I dig that it appears to be a one time purchase game. I'm all about supporting that model.

However, it got me thinking of what would make for a better mobile Alien game. Imagine Pokemon GO but with Aliens, and even more AR focused. In the game you have your camera open, you're "tracking" the aliens like using the tracker in the movie, and you're trying to find the alien(s) before it/they find you and kill you. You kill them and collect them as trophies. Something like that. That seems super cool. I'm still gonna try Blackout, and I hope I dig it! But I wish it felt more like something specifically designed for the platform.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
I'm ok with premium mobile games, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this now. I'll wait for reviews, if the game's any good I may buy it.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Oh well, FoxNext is involved :( Since I absolutely hate what they did to Marvel Strike Force I'm very skeptical about this. Even if it isn't free to play it'll probably still be riddled with microtransactions.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Is it really high risk? The games always seem to do well, even when they're bad (didn't Colonial Marines sell incredibly well?), and the franchise appears to be strong. A new movie just came and, even though it was terrible, it was fairly successful. I was under the impression the franchise is strong as ever, and having that license was a big deal for a company like Sega.

Colonial Marines being God awful was part of the reason why Isolation didn't sell well, it definitely hurt the series and a few shitty reviews like IGN's way off the mark Isolation review added fuel to the fire.

Such a damn shame because it deserved to do so much better, as it's the definitive Alien game, made with love and incredible attention to detail, nailing the look and feel of the original Alien movie, that you don't normally see from movie licenced games.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was the game teased at the game awards? I don't even have a current smart phone so I couldn't play this if I wanted to.

Good for mobile gamers I guess, def not what i was expecting/wanted.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah man that is one helluva letdown for me as that sort of playstyle and platform is just not my cup of tea and really, a full-blown Isolation sequel is sorely missed these days.

Still, I do appreciate sticking to the vibe of the original film rather than the Cameron stuff.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
So is this game going to be like 5 Nights at Freddy's or something?

Never played those games, but I get that vibe from this for some reason.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
This is a cool idea and i hope it succeeds. any game made for its platform should be good enough, so i don't see why this is getting more shit than any switch or 3ds game.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*groan*

I'd just got done binging a bunch of Aliens media (the audible dramas, isolation, the new Aliens 3 comic based on Gibson's original screenplay) and was really looking forward to finding out what was behind the Alien Blackout rumors. Was hoping for an Isolation successor or an Aliens style game with the engine. This is...

Incredibly disappointing. Shallow gameplay and headed straight to the most oversaturated marketplace in gaming.

I'm hoping that Fox actually gives this franchise another chance and it doesn't just end up like the Jurassic Park series: criminally underrepresented in gaming. So sad that after years of dormancy the Alien franchises best showing is this.

AND BRINGING BACK AMANDA!? WHY!? These side stories gotta divorce themselves from the Ripley family. The Ripley's inclusion also killed the Audio dramas and just continues to pile bad storytelling on a franchise that just might become defined by it.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wow, I'm so disappointed by this. Was really hoping for an Isolation style sequel.

FNAF just not my type of game.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
I'm so irritated by this industry. Gamers love to bitch about everything but a masterpiece like Isolation can barely break even...

Deleted member 12009

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently this is not the shooter that was originally rumored. There is still a traditional shooter game in development at Cold-Iron studios, so now I'm all about this new game and I take back my original disappointing comments.

Otherwise, I await the inevitable disappointment that Cold-Iron's game announcement will bring.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12009

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shallow? We barely seen how this game is going to play out lol, and you say oversaturated, but this is a premium mobile game, which doesn't seem to be that big in the market.

Camera and npc manipulation doesn't sound like a particularly engrossing or expansive experience. So yeah, shallow. Not only that, but premium games tend to underperform on the app store where they have to compete with flavor of the month F2P games. Maybe word of mouth can carry a game like this, but I'm skeptical. Regardless, my expectations have been further tempered, as I said in my follow up post, because this is not the rumored Alien game we expected to hear about at the Game Awards. So, if anything, it might serve a fun distraction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Camera and npc manipulation doesn't sound like a particularly engrossing or expansive experience. So yeah, shallow. Not only that, but premium games tend to underperform on the app store where they have to compete with flavor of the month F2P games. Maybe word of mouth can carry a game like this, but I'm skeptical. Regardless, my expectations have been further tempered, as I said in my follow up post, because this is not the rumored Alien game we expected to hear about at the Game Awards. So, if anything, it might serve a fun distraction.
Not sounding engrossing to you =/= shallow. It seems like a puzzle-style version of games like Duskers and Deadnaut. Have you played those?

Going by the screenshots and description, this is going to be a puzzle game. So saying it's not "expansive" when comparing it to a full-fledged first person horror game is ridiculous.

As for the premium vs F2P, a paid game is never going to make as much as a free one, due to a larger audience, ease of access, repeated purchased versus a single one. So comparing their revenue and going "look, paid games always underperform" doesn't make sense. You have to compare paid games to other paid games

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cant imagine it will be very long or fulfilling at that price

But maybe if we buy this we can get another seq...bwahaha

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
ITT I learned that Deadnaut is a thing.

Aaand from researching that I learned that Scavenger SV-4 is also a thing.

Any opinion on these two, MB? Both look pretty sweet.

(I already own and love Duskers.)
I never played too much of Deadnaut, but it's really cool if kind of janky. The perspective and detached control is well done

As for Scavenger, I did a post about it in the Overlooked Gems of 2018 thread
https://www.resetera.com/threads/overlooked-gems-of-2018.90434/post-16452872

Deleted member 12009

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sounding engrossing to you =/= shallow. It seems like a puzzle-style version of games like Duskers and Deadnaut. Have you played those?

Going by the screenshots and description, this is going to be a puzzle game. So saying it's not "expansive" when comparing it to a full-fledged first person horror game is ridiculous.

As for the premium vs F2P, a paid game is never going to make as much as a free one, due to a larger audience, ease of access, repeated purchased versus a single one. So comparing their revenue and going "look, paid games always underperform" doesn't make sense. You have to compare paid games to other paid games

Dude, I already said I was mistaken and thought this was the rumored FPS, which is what originally upset me. I'm hopeful it will still be fun, especially now that I know this isn't the only game we're getting.

Regardless, I stand by my comment that the game play is still substantially less complex than a full fledged fps horror game, which is an obvious and useless opinion anyway. And yes, even after watching the game play, I'm convinced this is still very much a budget title with limited scope. Which is not a bad thing, because as I said before, I was mistaken and over reacted earlier in the thread and was replying to another user who ignored my follow up post to argue.

But if everyone would like to keep quoting me to pick fights over what constitutes deep game play, I guess I'm down to keep replying.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
...well, it's a paid app! That's cool! I much prefer that over games that are "freemium".

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Its disappointing but Real Talk
We will not get new Alien game title on console any time soon.

Isolation sold 2.1 millions but still didn't make money enough to Fox and Sega since game cost a lot money to make.
I'm not surprise if Sega not renew Alien License.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For $5 I'll wait for feedback. But I like the model with no IAP. And it could be decent.

My other feelings are obvious.