• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
This has been talked about for a while, but has now been confirmed.

https://nerdist.com/article/alien-blu-ray-4k-ultra-hd-40th-anniversary/

To celebrate four decades of this incredible and influential classic, 20th Century Fox is releasing the film with an all-new 4K Ultra HD master, available April 23. A limited edition 4K UHD steelbook of Alien 40th Anniversary Edition will also be available exclusively at Best Buy.

The new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray will contain the 1979 Theatrical Version, as well as the 2003 Director's Cut, with the 2003 audio commentary by Ridley Scott and the Cast & Crew. In addition, the 1999 Audio Commentary by Ridley Scott for the original 1979 Theatrical Version will also be included. This disc will also feature the Final Theatrical Isolated Score in Dolby Digital 5.1, for the 1979 Theatrical Version only, as well as the composer's original Isolated Score, also in Dolby Digital 5.1, and again for the 1979 Theatrical Version Only. Also included are several deleted scenes.

I love the cover:
12020758-1354642385900439.jpg

Best Buy Steelbook:
12023954-1344642708810896.jpg

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Oh shoot they have a steelbook. That's like my one weakness but I have no money arghhhh!

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't remember a scene where the alien dove into a vat of motor oil.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not liking that cover but I'm down for a 4k release of the movie

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
one of the best looking movies ever made

to this very day it looks exceptional

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah! Gimme that HDR contrast boost and all that extra detail.

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I'm in big time for this. Will both regions of the release still have the same extras included?
The special features mentioned in the article:
The new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray will contain the 1979 Theatrical Version, as well as the 2003 Director's Cut, with the 2003 audio commentary by Ridley Scott and the Cast & Crew. In addition, the 1999 Audio Commentary by Ridley Scott for the original 1979 Theatrical Version will also be included. This disc will also feature the Final Theatrical Isolated Score in Dolby Digital 5.1, for the 1979 Theatrical Version only, as well as the composer's original Isolated Score, also in Dolby Digital 5.1, and again for the 1979 Theatrical Version Only. Also included are several deleted scenes.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
I dont even have a 4k blu ray drive but i think i'll buy this, so when i get one i can pop this in.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
It's also getting a limited theatrical re-release of the new remaster in some places. I'm seeing it on Friday.

I can't wait because the Blu-ray looked absolutely extraordinary.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the use of color in that cover at all.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hideous covers. I'll grab the normal one and put the UHD in the much nicer Steelbook I already have.

Future Gazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Neat, was hoping they'd do something for the 40th anniversary. Definitely grabbing that steelbook.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Fox has done a good job on their catalog ones like this so far, and Ridley oversaw the Blade Runner HDR for WB (I think), and that is absolutely stunning.
I have faith.
yeah Blade Runner is one of the few classic titles where I feel HDR greatly added to the movie. Ghostbusters it distracted me. Dracula was in between. Fine but not mind blowing (4K was a much bigger deal there than HDR)

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
yeah Blade Runner is one of the few classic titles where I feel HDR greatly added to the movie. Ghostbusters it distracted me. Dracula was in between. Fine but not mind blowing (4K was a much bigger deal there than HDR)
Looking at Fox catalog stuff, I have Predator, Die Hard, and Independence Day.
Predator is a grain minefield, but that was the nature of the film stock used and shooting style. But, it is the best the film has ever looked. They did a nice job using the HDR color grade for a more natural appearance to everything, and thankfully not DNRd to hell and back like the DVD.
Same with Die Hard. Another late 80s film that is grain heavy, but again best it has ever looked and a natural color scheme from the HDR.
Independence Day was a really nice restoration, that again wasn't overdoing the HDR color grade.
Of the studios though WB has been most impressive with catalog releases. Unforgiven should get more attention for its 4K release because of how subtle and natural the HDR coloring is compared to the blu.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen the DC. I'll be picking this up as long as the transfer isn't garbage.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at Fox catalog stuff, I have Predator, Die Hard, and Independence Day.
Predator is a grain minefield, but that was the nature of the film stock used and shooting style. But, it is the best the film has ever looked. They did a nice job using the HDR color grade for a more natural appearance to everything, and thankfully not DNRd to hell and back like the DVD.
Same with Die Hard. Another late 80s film that is grain heavy, but again best it has ever looked and a natural color scheme from the HDR.
Independence Day was a really nice restoration, that again wasn't overdoing the HDR color grade.
Of the studios though WB has been most impressive with catalog releases. Unforgiven should get more attention for its 4K release because of how subtle and natural the HDR coloring is compared to the blu.
lol I consider insane levels of grain a plus :P

I did forget Die Hard. I'd put that with Dracula in terms of HDR. Neither great nor terrible. Just fine.

But yeah, the more grain the better (actual film grain. not scratches or defects)

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
What is it with the original Alien that it can't get a release with the original poster art. Always some piece of shit CGI model :E

Deleted member 37303

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 2, 2018
I have a harder time appreciating older films in 4K. Newer stuff always looks great but I feel like anything that wasn't made within the last 5-10 years always looks grainy. Yes, I know it's because older stuff was shot on actual film but it just seems like I'm watching a nice 1080p version.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
It seems like everything now these days is being updated to 4K and here I thought DVD's were becoming obsolete and now so are ordinary Blurays.