• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Finally got a copy of this and wow this movie is an surreal trip lol My favorite part is when the girl is being chased by the rabbits minion and fells into the milk turning into a giant doll to be dragged. Or when the sock with teeth is talking to Alice. O.O

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
It's quite a movie with a number of visually impacting scenes, half-way between being a proper adaption of various scenes from the children's novel and some nightmare abomination. Of course it's become one of my favorite Alice in Wonderland adaptions.

I got interested in the film originally learning that this movie was one of the films that lightly inspired Silent Hill 2 of all things, and indeed a few pieces of imagery from Silent Hill 2 do come from this film (the one I remember most immediately being the can full of light bulbs).

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It's quite a movie with a number of visually impacting scenes, half-way between being a proper adaption of various scenes from the children's novel and some nightmare abomination. Of course it's become one of my favorite Alice in Wonderland adaptions.

I got interested in the film originally learning that this movie was one of the films that lightly inspired Silent Hill 2 of all things, and indeed a few pieces of imagery from Silent Hill 2 do come from this film (the one I remember most immediately being the can full of light bulbs).
Had no idea this inspired SH2, but i could definitely see the connection.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea this inspired SH2, but i could definitely see the connection.

It was an inspiration for the original game as well

What major influences were there for the stories of both Siren and Silent Hill, and what pushed you towards the survival horror genre of video games?

Toyama-san:
For Silent Hill, Stephen King's novels and David Lynch's films were major influences. For the nightmarish theme of the game, you should also be able to see influences from films like "Alice" by Jan Svankmajer and "Jacob's Ladder" directed by Adrian Lyne. Siren was mostly influenced by ensemble cast novels such as "Battle Royale" and "Shiki". What pushed me towards the survival horror genre was simply my company's request, but having realised it surprisingly matched my production style, I continued with it for long after all.

caneandrinse.com

Interview extra: Keiichiro Toyama (Silent Hill, Siren, Gravity Rush)

An interview with Keiichiro Toyama, the video game designer best known as the creator of Silent Hill, Siren and Gravity Rush

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is my favourite adaptation of Alice. Luckily, I originally saw it as a child on SBS, so I got the full impact. It feels most faithful to the book, although it has so many original elements. Highly imaginative but also unsettling in parts, like the book. The pig-baby alone is amazing. It also keeps the ending, pretty much, which many adaptations don't.

One of the best elucidations of the power of imagination since the original book.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I saw this piece of shit on Netflix years ago. It's kinda creepy and mostly terrible.
tumblr_oy7391UxUU1wft2beo5_250.gifv

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Saw it on the big screen a couple of years ago, while stoned out of my brain. It was an experience.

The exaggerated sound/foley work contributes heavily to the effect of the film.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
Creepy and low budget? Sure, buts part of the charm of the movie for. What did you find terrible about it? Genuinely curious for your opinion. :)
I mean, I think you said it more eloquently than they did. It looks low-budget and weird, therefore it is a shitty movie. :/

I also remember having a similar experience where my wife and I started watching it on Netflix and didn't get too far before switching to something else. I'll say this much, what little we did see definitely left an impression.

I was always fascinated by Alice in Wonderland, but the novel I read in grade school was an abridged version, and the game I played was rather difficult:

It is a work that I have always found intriguing and I am tempted to revisit now as an adult.

Oct 26, 2017
It might be my favorite interpretation of the original Lewis Carroll book, that and American McGee's Alice. I really enjoyed the trippy and disturbing imagery—Jan Svankmajer's really good at his craft.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Dad took me to see this at the local art-house cinema when I was seven (must have been when it first came out).

Probably the most terrifying experience of my entire life.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Lol this shit is crazy. Just skipped to a random spot in the vid and to describe what I'm watching would sound insane.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Anyone have any good lists or references for things to watch (movie or otherwise) while high?

Recently started smoking after not being able to due to work. Gonna add this to the list.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I would legit have nightmares if I did saw this as a kid lol

I certainly had nightmares. Stop motion creepiness freaked me out for a long time. Didn't even like the Monty Python animated sections

A few years later I saw this with school. Think I was 11

Just added to the problem.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Jan Švankmajer is a wierd and wonderful man. He's made a lot of great works, all of which have been wierd as fuuuuuck.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you should try to go find some of Švankmajer's other movies. Little Otik is wild too.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The only Alice in Wonderland adaptation I Really liked was one we had on VHS as kids, which I think as a BBC adaptation from the 80s... It featured a terrifying Jaberwocky sequence in Alice's house that terrified me. Can't believe my parents let me watch this bizarre shit.

FFS WHY

Basically every anxiety as a child is wrapped up in this. Your parents can't seeing you through the mirror... Jaberwocky being fucking terrifying...

I guess this was the 1985 CBS adaptation. It was pretty fucked up.

bbVAgPW.png

Last edited:

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Švankmajer's stuff is aces. Also recommend checking out Borowczyk, Trnka, and Quay Brothers for more superbly-trippy stop-motion.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
The only Alice in Wonderland adaptation I Really liked was one we had on VHS as kids, which I think as a BBC adaptation from the 80s... It featured a terrifying Jaberwocky sequence in Alice's house that terrified me. Can't believe my parents let me watch this bizarre shit.

FFS WHY

Basically every anxiety as a child is wrapped up in this. Your parents can't seeing you through the mirror... Jaberwocky being fucking terrifying...

I guess this was the 1985 CBS adaptation. It was pretty fucked up.

fuck this scene in particular. it burned itself into my brain as a kid when i turned on the tv and it was on repeat just when the show we were going to watch was about to come on.

it is considerably less scary as an adult though.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
fuck this scene in particular. it burned itself into my brain as a kid when i turned on the tv and it was on repeat just when the show we were going to watch was about to come on.

it is considerably less scary as an adult though.

THe parents in the mirror going on with their lives happily without Alice is something that still makes me feel this deep sadness, hahahaha. I think this video just reminded me of some repressed childhood anxiety.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
THe parents in the mirror going on with their lives happily without Alice is something that still makes me feel this deep sadness, hahahaha. I think this video just reminded me of some repressed childhood anxiety.

that's what drew me in. i think it was some other station (maybe even a repeat on cbs) and we were gonna flip it over to nickelodeon. we were familiar with alice in wonderland through disney so that part was a strange departure - and definitely one of those more subtle nightmare things. SUDDEN JABBERWOCKY wasn't really the worst part - it was the commercial break. we changed the station so it made that whole sequence feel final.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Anyone have any good lists or references for things to watch (movie or otherwise) while high?

Recently started smoking after not being able to due to work. Gonna add this to the list.
Some of my very favorite titles to watch when baked as shit:

Zazie dans le metro
Last Year at Marienbad
Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors
Seconds
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
The Devils
The Hourglass Sanatorium
The Holy Mountain
(1973)
Eraserhead
Narcissus and Psyche
Possession
(1981)
Twilight (1990)
The City of Lost Children
Gummo
Keyhole
(2011)
Upstream Color
November
(2018)
Kenneth Anger's Magick Lantern Cycle (multiple films)

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see Svankmajer get some love! His works are equal parts creepy and beautiful.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Bring it on. I'd be down for some pretty weird/trippy stuff.

Roy Anderson's The Living Trilogy is GOOD. A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence is probably the easiest to find

You can fall down a Takashi Miike rabbit hole... Gozu and Happiness of the Katakuris (idk there are a 100 movies to choose from)

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Still find Charlie Kaufman stuff pretty wild (Synechdoche New York, Anomalisa)

You could get into Greek New Wave (Yorgos Lanthimos, Athena Rachel Tsangari)

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Minishdriveby this is all awesome thanks a bunch for sharing, adding it all to the list to check out.

Getting to the point where I'm thinking of creating some trippy/crazy playlist for my media server so this is all great fuel for that as well.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Was gonna come here and post about how this movie never did anything for me (and I have always been a huge fan of the books), but this has turned into a thread about cool, weird, creepy cinema and I am totally down. Keep the recommendations coming.