• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
You don't need to watch law and order to understand what the actual precedent would result in. People like seem to willfully ignore how draconian copyright already is right now.
Should these mot win simple because you guys are scared of the precedent? Like fuck them if they win the consequences would be to dire in the hypothetical situation I created in my head from knowing the future

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your evidence is linking a video that has an actual attorney going the case is very wishy washy and doesnt have much of a leg to stand on with you going "see its illegal lol"

My point was never that he could win the case, my point was that you can copyright dance moves, which he, for the last time, confirmed at the very start of the video and that Carlton boy has a chance at winning this.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Carlton though...

Not just any dance the Carlton. Come on...

Why? So say you award that copyright, what's next logically? The accent an actor decides on, an adlib joke of 3 words? A single mannerism? One texture or object in an entire game being copyrighted by a designer instead of the studio?

It's stupid and simply leads to destroying any future inspiration or innovations or reimagining that industries and artists constantly call upon to derive their work.

Do you really want the memes being outlawed shit again? There is a reason you can reuse certain amounts of timings of songs or videos etc without paying royalties. Now if EPIC designed a character that looked like, moved like (danced), sounded like, talked like Carlton etc then fuck them that's totally infringement. But perpetuating a 2 second dance that is not the whole embodiment of a character? Come on...

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory commentary. Long history of infractions for similar behaviour.
I

I understand where you coming from but I'm not trying to make cultural erasure an arguing a point its a fact that should be brought up. Yes the law rules but it always does.

If anything it's a compliment that black culture pervades popular products. I'm white and my tastes are full of black artists. I dont even see a colour, I see people who's work I enjoy.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
No, he did create that dance. He created the carlton dance. While visually similar to the references people keep throwing around, what he created is uniquely his own. There are key differences to what he does compared to Courtney Cox and Bruce Springsteen.

I'm not saying it's clear cut, but it seems like you are. He has a very real chance of winning this. I don't know why that is hard for people to understand.
I mean if anything if Epic hasn't said something along the lines of "any dances resembling anything in the real world is a complete coincidence" then they're open to get sued.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The burden of proof is on you. Show me a case won over a dance move. I'll wait. Yikes indeed.

Nope, you're the one who talked about precedent being made and after being asked what that precedent was you failed to produce evidence of it. My point wasn't that he's going to win, my point was that you can copyright these things, which you can.

The burden of proof is on the person who makes the claims. I provided mine, now where's yours?

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
So, and correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying that an attorney who has nothing to do with the case has created a carefully curated opinion just in case he gets hired?

I'm saying attorneys are in the business to create "carefully curated opinions" that say everything but, this will never win in court. It doesn't make him any less armchair, or wrong or right. Lawyers do lose cases and drop cases all the time. Did you watch the video? He is no more armchair than anyone else here. And he actually does explain the difference with copyrighting a dance versus copying a performance. He literally doesn't refute what anyone has said in here, while floating alot of hypothesis or why it may or may not be successful. This is literally what civil lawyers do!

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
If you didn't legally copyright the dance move when you made it, you shouldn't have a leg to dance on.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should these mot win simple because you guys are scared of the precedent? Like fuck them if they win the consequences would be to dire in the hypothetical situation I created in my head from knowing the future
The bad thing is that these people are so hellbent on the law and what this could possibly cause yet ignores the possibility of a new law being put in place. Like its fucking impossible.
Representation =/= compensation.

That would be akin to stealing a tortilla recipe from a shop in Mexico, and then hiring Mexicans to act in your commercials. If they're going to exploit a specific culture almost exclusively for their content, the least they could do is find some way to actually benefit said culture, instead of padding the pockets of rich CEOs.

I couldn't care less if anyone got paid. I DO care, however, that Epic at least acknowledges the shit they're doing, the money they're making off of it, and maybe does some good with all that fucking money they're bankrolling on the backs of said cultural groups.
Thank you. I would say something like this but I aint got the patience and I figured hes just misunderstood.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Why? So say you award that copyright, what's next logically? The accent an actor decides on, an adlib joke of 3 words? A single mannerism? One texture or object in an entire game being copyrighted by a designer instead of the studio?

It's stupid and simply leads to destroying any future inspiration or innovations or reimagining that industries and artists constantly call upon to derive their work.

Do you really want the memes being outlawed shit again? There is a reason you can reuse certain amounts of timings of songs or videos etc without paying royalties. Now if EPIC designed a character that looked like, moved like (danced), sounded like, talked like etc then fuck them that's infringement. But perpetuating a 2 second dance that it's the whole embodiment of a character? Come on...
This really is a circus...why did you forget that part where Epic is charging people for this dance?
If you didn't legally copyright the dance move when you made it, you shouldn't have a leg to dance on.
As far as I know, if I decided to sketch a character right now; it would automatically be copyrighted...should be the same for any art form...

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Do you really want the memes being outlawed shit again?

If I created a really popular meme and a corporate entity used it you betcha. I'm suprised the "What are those" guy didnt try to go after Disney/Marvel for BP...

Oct 25, 2017
Over seen his dance in dozen songs of media since then. He better start making a list.

Most those other examples are just the arm swinging which might be considered too generic to make a claim on. The Fortnite dance goes further and you'd be hard pushed to claim he wasn't the influence. Now we just have to find out if you can copyright a dance sequence that only last a few seconds.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Anyone wanting to know from an actual copyright attorney if you can copyright dances? Here you go.

He's literally wrong here. You can copyright choreography but you cannot copyright individual dance movements:

Individual movements or dance steps by themselves are not copyrightable, such as the basic waltz step, the hustle step, the grapevine, or the second position in classical ballet. The U.S. Copyright Office cannot register short dance routines consisting of only a few movements or steps with minor linear or spatial variations, even if a routine is novel or distinctive.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, you're the one who talked about precedent being made and after being asked what that precedent was you failed to produce evidence of it. My point wasn't that he's going to win, my point was that you can copyright these things, which you can.

The burden of proof is on the person who makes the claims. I provided mine, now where's yours?

You have provided zero evidence. Google proves no one has won suing over a dance move. Your case is dead.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's literally wrong here. You can copyright choreography but you cannot copyright individual dance movements:

Remember, he talks about thresholds and the dance having to meet it. He's not wrong, and he explained what you have to do to meet that threshold. He even stated that small back and forth moves cannot be copyrighted.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
A 2 second dance being copyright protected? GTFO. A full 3-20 minutes sequence from ballet, figure skating or dance routine etc then hell yes, copyright protect that shit. These 2 second loops by developers or the originators should not be covered, legal system stupidity.
It's not 2 seconds.
But as I've said before, Alfonso has used The Carlton as part of his full performance on TV before Fortnite even became a thing. So yea it's like taking 10 seconds out of a 3 minute dance performance.

Check here what Hobbs said here when I asked what if someone takes a few seconds long from a full performance.
Still infringement.

Lets apply this logic to another form of entertainment: Music.

You cannot have even 10 seconds of an AC/DC song playing in your video without it being considered copyright infringement. Same thing applies to dance moves. Same thing applies to movies. Unless you are using these snippets under fair use (this is not), it's infringement.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
As I said, copyright laws should change on this, and it can be...this is how laws work, they change/new ones are added all the time. Donald just set forth a law for digital music that makes sure the artists get paid (one good thing to come out of his office so far)...

It's disgusting how much Epic now "owns" the dance moves and make millions off them...

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This sounds pretty flexible honestly. Do they detail how a routine is defined, how many unique moves are required, how long the routine must last, etc? Is a 45 second "routine" consisting of a single but unique dance move less able to be copyrighted than a 2 minute long routine but made up solely of less unique / existing moves?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Do you HONESTLY think record companies that would own all the dance moves that almost every popular singer does would just sit on these copyrights and choose not to enforce them? I Mean come on, ANYONE that's been alive through the past twenty or so years should know full well that if this is allowed those companies will go to great lengths to exert their copyrights and get any and ALL money they can against anyone that even comes close to using them.

I mean look at the bloody birthday song for crying out loud to see how far a company will go to enforce copyright, even in a "gray" area.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
No, he did create that dance. He created the carlton dance. While visually similar to the references people keep throwing around, what he created is uniquely his own. There are key differences to what he does compared to Courtney Cox and Bruce Springsteen.

I'm not saying it's clear cut, but it seems like you are. He has a very real chance of winning this. I don't know why that is hard for people to understand.
If the script read, "[Carlton dances]" then any dance Alfonso made up is the sole property of NBC. It might be different if it was an ad-lib on his part, but the dance is in the script. Anything he "creates" while on the clock for NBC, becomes NBC's.

He won't win. NBC might have a case, though. If he does somehow manage to get something out of it, he could get sued by NBC.

The dance is "The Carlton", not "The Alfonso". He was the character, but he doesn't own the character.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not watching an unedited 30 minute video just to get a lawyer's opinion of what I can read in the actual copyright law on the matter. Does he say that something like the Carlton or 2 Milly's dance can be copyrighted or not?

A quote from the video -

If 2 milly's dance move is like this, and that's 2 milly's dance move, eh what like really? People dance by gyrating back and forth, that's not copyright infringement. He hasn't even copyrighted anything.

However, if 2 milly's dance move is a very specific motion in a very specific set of timings and is always produced exactly that way and and and and and at some point, yes, it becomes copyright protected. It has to reach that threshold.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This really is a circus...why did you forget that part where Epic is charging people for this dance?

As far as I know, if I decided to sketch a character right now; it would automatically be copyrighted...should be the same for any art form...

Because they are not charging for "Carlton" as a whole character, just like I explained in my original post above. It's a very basic dance move, barely a sequence of moves. Further in all the years post Fresh Prince he's never once sued for use of the dance, never attempted to copyright it etc.

It's a fine line on Carlton's dance specifically but not one I consider passing the threshold of being a rip off. As I said if they sold a character that looks like Carlton, sounds like Carlton and dances like Carlton then it's in breach and fuck them. A single 2 to 3 step dance manoeuvrer isn't copyright worthy to me.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the script read, "[Carlton dances]" then any dance Alfonso made up is the sole property of NBC. It would be different if it was an ad-lib on his part, but the dance is in the script. Anything he "creates" while on the clock for NBC, becomes NBC's.

He won't win. NBC might have a case, though. If he does somehow manage to get something out of it, he could get sued by NBC.

Erhm, the dance is improvised but based on another dance. He makes it his own when he does.

Regarding if it's NBCs, that's only if his contract stipulates that anything created on the show is the property of NBC's.

Oct 27, 2017
Thing is about the "carlton" dance in particular, if you watch any footage of old sock hop dances people were basically doing this, which by the character was used more like a parody of corny dancing. He didn't create it, he mimicked it. There is a great video by Axis of Awesome that best shows this in the music world, how a 4 chord song has been reused for so many songs.
https://youtu.be/5pidokakU4I
Imagine none of those songs ever existing because the first song using that chord progression was locked down in copyright. They don't allow copyright of chords, which I think is similar to a dance move.
Now, imagine what would happen in the gaming world where games already get delisted because of license expirations. Is it really worth it? Uncharted, Destiny, and other examples in this thread would have to be taken of the market. I don't think that anyone wants that, nor do I think that the courts will decide these are copyright violations.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's still an interesting case even though I'm not familiar with Fortnite but it appears they're selling them individually? It's not like they appear randomly during the game.
Both.

I understand where you coming from but I'm not trying to make cultural erasure an arguing a point its a fact that should be brought up. Yes the law rules but it always does.
Time and place. Last thing we want is to literally target one of if not the most inclusive MP game on the market and accuse it of erasing culture since it acknowledges that said culture exists and that a large portion of it's player base are a part of that culture.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It's dumb that you can't copyright individual dance moves but you can choreography. The individual moves can be iconic in their own right. No one remembers entire dance routines. They remember specific moves that stood out from the routine.

@ShenmueGuru

Nov 7, 2017
I don't mean to derail the specific "Carlton dance" narrative, but whilst playing Black Ops 4, one of the new unlockable dance moves is the Jean Claude Van Damme dance sequence from the movie Kickboxer, and my first thought was if they had gotten the permission to use that, thus, how my mind associates certain things with general pop culture. In saying that, I don't know the modern day law interpretation of these things, but I think it's a very interesting topic for sure, and I am interested to see where it goes.
Also, just for clarification, help this middle aged gamer out... Backpack kid, as far as I can piece together, is a kid wearing a backpack in a Katy Perry video coming out and doing a dance called the floss, right?

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
You don't need to know the future to know how companies use and abuse copyright, genius.

So should these guys get fucked over because you're worried about what may or my not happen? Answer that
Clearly you nor I know what this could cause if they win but what we do know is Alfonso has a damn good case

The bad thing is that these people are so hellbent on the law and what this could possibly cause yet ignores the possibility of a new law being put in place. Like its fucking impossible.
That's my entire point they are so worried about a what if they dont care about the people affected now smh

Do you HONESTLY think record companies that would own all the dance moves that almost every popular singer does would just sit on these copyrights and choose not to enforce them? I Mean come on, ANYONE that's been alive through the past twenty or so years should know full well that if this is allowed those companies will go to great lengths to exert their copyrights and get any and ALL money they can against anyone that even comes close to using them.

I mean look at the bloody birthday song for crying out loud to see how far a company will go to enforce copyright, even in a "gray" area.
That means absolutely nothing you cross that bridge when we get there until then you fairly look at the cases in front of you not add some hypothetical baggage on them because you are worried about the outcome

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not 2 seconds.
But as I've said before, Alfonso has used The Carlton as part of his full performance on TV before Fortnite even became a thing. So yea it's like taking 10 seconds out of a 3 minute dance performance.

Check here what Hobbs said here when I asked what if someone takes a few seconds long from a full performance.

So here's a take on why it's not copyright worthy...Alfonso literally explains himself where the inspiration comes from (source)-

And it was also from Eddie Murphy's Delirious comedy video where he does "the white man dance." And what I did was ultimately take those two dances and combined them and made it my own, and made it my character's. But ultimately it's "the white man dance." So that's where the dance kind of came from.

This has more style and popularised his moves but is it that different to the below two they should all receive their own individual copyright? His process is exactly why I feel it's not copyright worthy. Imagine Eddie Murphy suing Alfonso before Fresh Prince really took off. Silly.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6737-1373929148-32.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-26339-1373929536-2.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-24380-1373929760-1.gif

Nah man, it's cool and he's likened it to his character but the dance on its own? It's a no from me. Also Alfonso never felt the need to pay royalties to Eddie or The Boss right?

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
A quote from the video -

I ain't no lawyer but that's not very layman.

So, if I may try and understand, going off what I was told about copyright during high school music class, is it like this;

I can make a dance routine featuring several moves, one of which is more or less virtually identical to the 2 milly move, but not in its entirety, then that wouldn't be copyright infringement.

If however I was to just use the 2 milly move and nothing else, that would be copyright infringement.

Am I understanding that right?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So should these guys get fucked over because you're worried about what may or my not happen? Answer that
Clearly you nor I know what this could cause if they win but what we do know is Alfonso has a damn good case

That's my entire point they are so worried about a what if they dont care about the people affected now smh

That means absolutely nothing you cross that bridge when we get there until then you fairly look at the cases in front of you not add some hypothetical baggage on them because you are worried about the outcome
*what will 100% factually happen because it's literally how these things work. There's quite literally no way around that. That you think otherwise just tells me how ignorant you are of the current music industry and draconian copyright laws.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Videogame companies are the first ones to throw copyright laws, send you c&d for your fan work and make sure no one uses closely or not so closely their work but they have no issues pillaging other art forms and calling it « hommages ».

The hypocrisy is baffling

I hope Alfonso wins and they get a taste of their medicine.