• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I've heard of some of the people coming forwards. I hadn't heard of Alexis Kennedy. I'm not sure what Rhianna Pratchett would stand to gain by lying here. It's extremely illogical to presume Kennedy is the victim of conspiracy and multiple false charges.

Especially because this isn't terribly uncommon: remember the UK parliament having that document come out written by a spad of all the warnings about various MPs being drunks or 'handsy'?

If multiple people come forward going "this guy's a real creep" and others have gone "I've been warned about this guy repeatedly" then the overwhelming likelihood is that there's more truth to their allegation than exaggeration.

There's (fortunately) not any allegations of sexual assault - just of a man acting inappropriately and manipulatively to vulnerable people he sucked into his orbit - and it's good that this stuff is coming out as well. Abuse is abuse, even if it's emotional. It really needs to be stamped out. This stuff forces people out of the industry.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
So Alexis Kennedy has responded, denying mostly everything.

• I haven't engaged in any kind of abuse or predation, ever.
  • I did have a romantic relationship with Olivia Wood while we were working together, and while I was her direct manager. This was a real mistake on my part. I owned that at the time and I own it now.
  • But the circumstances were very different than Olivia has publicly suggested. We started a relationship over a year before we worked together. She suggested that I hire her. She explicitly requested that the relationship be kept secret. All of these facts are provable.
  • Again, all allegations of abuse, including any I haven't yet seen, are false.
And Lottie Bevan has responded, talking about the impact on the allegations.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, the "Bitches be crazy" defense. Let's see how that works out. "Everything is a lie, it's all lies, nothing but a pack of lies from all the women I never did anything non-consensual with." I for one am sure the "his word against so many others" tactic will work out just fine.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Damn, this is really disappointing. I am a huge fan of his writing. Why do people have to be so awful?

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Where are these two quotes from?

The second relates to old forum drama.

Both the blog posts together are an interesting read. Kennedy nearly killing himself over this is chilling regardless of the truth of the allegations.

If Kennedy's side of the story has any merit, it's as a stark warning to avoid office romances.

The reality is that the vast majority of people are not going to believe anything from the Kennedy side, meaning his career (and that of his spouse) is effectively over.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I think some of her criticisms of call out culture are absolutely valid, but, uh, when mixed with her personal stake/interest/defense in this situation makes it something that will never reach the proper audience.

Alexis' defense is haughty. That's not how you convince people you aren't a creepy asshole.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I met Lottie once and she seemed like a really nice person but bad takes are bad takes this is a real bad take

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
When I read the "...and actually convincing him to do it." line about suicide I stopped reading and figured Lottie could go fuck herself. Phrasing Holowka's death as a sought-after outcome of reporting his abuse was enough for me to write her off. I peeked ahead and saw a few other lines of terrible logic, but that was the point I stopped making any attempt at giving her the benefit of a doubt.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
When I read the "...and actually convincing him to do it." line about suicide I stopped reading and figured Lottie could go fuck herself. Phrasing Holowka's death as a sought-after outcome of reporting his abuse was enough for me to write her off. I peeked ahead and saw a few other lines of terrible logic, but that was the point I stopped making any attempt at giving her the benefit of a doubt.
Fuck, I actually missed that line. That's so fucked up. Her whole article is shit but that's beyond the pail.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Phrasing Holowka's death as a sought-after outcome of reporting his abuse was enough for me to write her off.

The exact quote here is:

Bevan''s post above said:
But I don't think making people feel good or pretending you're making a difference is justification for losing some women their jobs, nearly convincing a guy to top himself, or – in a separate, more serious case – actually convincing him to do it.

I'm not convinced her argument is that people sought to drive Holowka to suicide in this instance, but bringing up the incident didn't assist in her argument.

I'm liable to not jump on the hate train for Lottie Bevan's article, as I'm not exactly sure what position I'd take if it were my spouse that had nearly killed themselves over a call-out campaign.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
The exact quote here is:

I'm not convinced her argument is that people sought to drive Holowka to suicide in this instance, but bringing up the incident didn't assist in her argument.

I'm liable to not jump on the hate train for Lottie Bevan's article, as I'm not exactly sure what position I'd take if it were my spouse that had nearly killed themselves over a call-out campaign.

I only quoted the small part because, in context, it didn't change the meaning of the words. I read it as I did because the "convincing him to do it" is an active phrase, rather than having a passive "unintended consequence" meaning. I'm sure there was an asshole or two who pulled out the "kill yourself" comment, because someone always has to be an utter dick about things, but I'd really want to see the receipts for a claim that people were trying to convince either Holowka or Kennedy to seriously commit suicide. The nice thing about internet comments is that, unlike sexual assault, proof is easy.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I only quoted the small part because, in context, it didn't change the meaning of the words. I read it as I did because the "convincing him to do it" is an active phrase, rather than having a passive "unintended consequence" meaning. I'm sure there was an asshole or two who pulled out the "kill yourself" comment, because someone always has to be an utter dick about things, but I'd really want to see the receipts for a claim that people were trying to convince either Holowka or Kennedy to seriously commit suicide. The nice thing about internet comments is that, unlike sexual assault, proof is easy.

Someone can convince another person, but a person can also be convinced, and being convinced doesn't require an actor. "The results were convincing to Bob". "Bob's humiliation in the press convinced him to go into rehab for his cheese addiction." Someone can convince themselves - in terms of suicide a person convinces themselves that they are better off dead. But your alternative reading is equally valid.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad Failbetter is standing firm (and bringing receipts!) in their account of Alexis Kenneedy. Doubly so because of how AK keeps trying to wrestle control of the conversation.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
And there's the receipts. Appreciate Adam Myers for coming forward with this super-detailed timeline and recitation of events.