• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DARVO is a really interesting concept. It's amazing how five letters can break down an entire psychological reaction shared universally by abusers when they're called out.

It stands for:

Deny
Attack
Reverse Victim and Offender

Basically, abusers never admit that they were wrong. Ever. It doesn't even cross their mind. Instead, they deny the claims, and then use psychological manipulation to make themselves the victim, and the victim the abuser.

When the victim is made the bad guy, not only does it invalidate the claims, but it also furthers the abuse against the victim, which gives abusers even more enjoyment. It's like turning lemons into lemonade.

DARVO can be very convincing, so spectators can join in the demonization of the victim, which means that the general public starts abusing the individual. It discourages other victims from coming forward, and perpetuates our culture of silence.

You can see this dude start his DARVO spiel when he claims this is a campaign of harassment.

never heard this term before but damn that's so succinct and to the point.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Apologies, but im reading through the threads and not seeing a lot of specifics. What exactly was he doing?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
To be honest, Era should put guideline to this type of Post.

I remember the Cristiano Ronaldo / EA post people get banned and insulted for not taking the victim side in that issue and at the end, the case was dropped by the district attorney's office.

we really need some guidelines or rules about posting this kind of things.
I agree. Posting guidelines on threads such as these would prevent shitty posts tone policing and concern trolling for the accused.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
I definitely remember what the gaming press looked like in the 90s and early 00s, especially the advertisement. GG was just the audience they explicitly catered to and cultivated expressing itself; they wouldn't exist if the industry hadn't been courting their like for decades.
There is something funny about the dumb bro shit that happened at E3s of yore, essentially telling people it's fine, and then being confused why your consumers are filled with dumb bros.

Cultivated that audience.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Corroboration from Olivia Wood, current writer at Failbetter Games:

Dude sounds like a creep (I don't know him or anything about it, and I don't see any specifics other than women saying he is a creep) but how does this colab anything other than he was dating her in secret? I don't get it maybe im missing something.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Dude sounds like a creep (I don't know him or anything about it, and I don't see any specifics other than women saying he is a creep) but how does this colab anything other than he was dating her in secret? I don't get it maybe im missing something.
The accusations are that he used his position in power to enter relationships with women new to the industry, mistreat them and then keep them quiet afterwards through threatening their careers/standing in the industry.

Olivia's account describes that happening to her, I recommend reading the complete thread.

And regardless, CEOs shouldn't have secret affairs with their employees.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017

It's not just that one tweet; it's a whole thread. Click on it to read the rest.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
The accusations are that he used his position in power to enter relationships with women new to the industry, mistreat them and then keep them quiet afterwards through threatening their careers/standing in the industry.

Olivia's account describes that happening to her, I recommend reading the complete thread.

And regardless, CEOs shouldn't have secret affairs with their employees.
Ah ok, just collaborating that he dated underlings essentially. I read most of the thread, and haven't seen specifics other than hes "a predator".
Being a manager/lead myself, I cant say that ever dating a coworker is instantly horrible, but if hes using his position to influence/silence etc than yeah your a PoS.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
A lot of people are forgetting to switch to their 8chan loving alt accounts in this thread...

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, I absolutely loved Fallen London. It's so hard to find good browser games these days.

I'm glad that so many shitty people in gaming are being outed this week. I mean, it sucks that they're shit but I'm glad the ball on this is finally rolling.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Oh crap, I have his games... Seems I have to take a break from buying games until all the creeps are outed to not accidentally support them.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
User Banned (2 Months): Dismissing Allegations of Sexual Misconduct Over Multiple Posts in this Thread
Reporting abusers on Twitter often leads to charges. Much of MeToo broke on Twitter. It's why you have to wait instead of kneejerk posting to discredit victims.

yeah, I totally agree and we should wait too instead of discredit the supposed aggressor don't you think? you know is not fair to discredit the victim without any proof but it should be same for the supposed aggressor.

The fact that some people prefer to wait for the case to be elevated to the authorities doesn't mean that we are Pro- Rape Assholes or that we're denying how big the harassment and sexual assault on women is.

I'm always defending the principle of guilty until proven innocent because I'm from a country were that principles are not respected even when is writing in the law...and believe me, guys none of you want to live in a country where that principle is not respected.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
yeah, I totally agree and we should wait too instead of discredit the supposed aggressor don't you think? you know is not fair to discredit the victim without any proof but it should be same for the supposed aggressor.

The fact that some people prefer to wait for the case to be elevated to the authorities doesn't mean that we are Pro- Rape Assholes or that we're denying how big the harassment and sexual assault on women is.

I'm always defending the principle of guilty until proven innocent because I'm from a country were that principles are not respected even when is writing in the law...and believe me, guys none of you want to live in a country where that principle is not respected.

Like America?

Out_Of_1000_SexualAssaults_053019.png

There's a reason why going to the press or social media actually prompts action opposed to going to the police.

Just saying, "well why didn't they call the cops" is meaningless when most women do, and nothing is done.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

It's extremely difficult for victims of rape and other types of abuse to have 100% evidence. A lot of rape cases get thrown out because it's the victims word against the rapist. This is why we always will believe the victim.

Not to mention that the chance of the victim lying is so, so small in the first place.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But what if all these women (who work in an industry where women get campaigns of harassment against them merely for being women) were lying?

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
As always, it's far more likely that one person will lie to make himself look better than a group of people will lie to make one person look worse.

Fuck this guy.

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, Era should put guideline to this type of Post.

I remember the Cristiano Ronaldo / EA post people get banned and insulted for not taking the victim side in that issue and at the end, the case was dropped by the district attorney's office.

we really need some guidelines or rules about posting this kind of things.

I'm pretty sure nobody got banned for "not taking the victim's side". They were probably banned because they dismissed the victim's claim (even when Ronaldo admitted to everything). There's a massive difference in purpose and goal.

And, since you bring this up: having a case being dismissed does not mean the accusations were untrue. Don't conflate the two things, please.

I agree. Posting guidelines on threads such as these would prevent shitty posts tone policing and concern trolling for the accused.

Nah. Those who post that will continue to do it. They know full well what they are doing.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
It's extremely difficult for victims of rape and other types of abuse to have 100% evidence. A lot of rape cases get thrown out because it's the victims word against the rapist. This is why we always will believe the victim.

Not to mention that the chance of the victim lying is so, so small in the first place.

Shure 100% agree with you and we should point to change the system and make it stronger. But there is a problem with ALWAYS Believe without questioning and forget about the principle of guilty until proven innocent is that at some point it becomes difficult to draw a line between Victim and Aggressor and the consequence of that are always terrible for any society.....because you don't want any group to take advantage of that " I ALWAYS BELIEVE" attitude at the same way that groups take advantage on the ones that never believe .

We can not belive o disbelieve in something blindly

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Shure 100% agree with you and we should point to change the system and make it stronger. But there is a problem with ALWAYS Believe without questioning and forget about the principle of guilty until proven innocent is that at some point it becomes difficult to draw a line between Victim and Aggressor and the consequence of that are always terrible for any society.....because you don't want any group to take advantage of that " I ALWAYS BELIEVE" attitude at the same way that groups take advantage on the ones that never believe .

Ok I'll give an example.

A woman gets raped, there were no witnesses.

Let's say she is brave enough to report it to the police. She has all the stuff including DNA tests to show that yes she did have sexual intercourse with the man that she is accusing.

The police bring the man in for questioning, he denies he raped her and said it was consensual.

The case gets dropped because there isn't enough evidence.

A rapist walks free.

Oct 27, 2017

This is borderline, if not outright, concern trolling.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gross people and things coming out of the woodwork over this. It's disgusting

Took a look at this Twitter account and he's been calling out these abusers and signal boosting victim accounts. Seems like you are really misrepresenting what he is saying. Seems like he has his own story to tell but feels he wont be believed because he's a male victim with a female abuser...which is a huge problem. I just made a thread about Male rape/abuse victims on off-topic two weeks ago which delves into this issue.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Ok I'll give an example.

A woman gets raped, there were no witnesses.

Let's say she is brave enough to report it to the police. She has all the stuff including DNA tests to show that yes she did have sexual intercourse with the man that she is accusing.

The police bring the man in for questioning, he denies he raped her and said it was consensual.

The case gets dropped because there isn't enough evidence.

A rapist walks free.

I'll give you an example totally unrelated to this case 10 years ago a friend's girlfriend came to us crying saying that the Security guy who works in our Apartment building rape her, my friends beat the guy pretty, pretty bad...the police beat the guy pretty bad and send it to jail

The Security guy spends 6 months in jail...without trial or investigation then the court release it.

1-year latter this girl with her best friend, drunk in a party were making fun about how the guy never touches her not even talked to her...and how she faked all that just because his boyfriend was about to leave her for another girl...

Do you see how it works when the guilty until proven innocent principle doesn't work?...the goal should be to get a better justice system not always believe or disbelieve blindly.

BTW I'm not saying in any way that this girl is lying I just trying to show you why I don't believe or disbelieve blindly.

Cycloneon

Banned
Jun 28, 2019
Writing in all sincerity, at what point is it ethical and a principled stand for us, those who are watching stories like this unfold, to treat the accused as outright guilty?

Not even in this specific case. Just the general principle of when we as the public should come down on people. If we are talking reality, people don't risk their careers etc to lie like this. But philosophically, principally, we don't know for sure. And I can't find a fair, just pattern of thought to justify anything but the second approach. Or to simply back off and watch it unfold.

But then the idea of what role the public, or people that are not the accused or the accusers, should play. I haven't thought of the answer to that question outside the immediate idea of backing off and letting everything play out.

And if people disagree with these sentiments, we have to ask where the line is. At what point, if you take the approach many here have and many more will of assuming guilt in the face of good evidence (but still not actually knowing the truth), do we go from taking a neutral stand to taking one side? How many accusers are needed, etc.

Would love to discuss these nuances.

Manggei

Oct 28, 2017
Neeeeeeext! Pull those shitstains out of their wormholes. And to all those nonsensical "butbutbut could be accused falsely!" posters: yeah, can happen. But that's pretty fucking rare and those accusations appear very differently and not in a cascade of different sources as seen in the latest cases.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll give you an example totally unrelated to this case 10 years ago a friend's girlfriend came to us crying saying that the Security guy who works in our Apartment building rape her, my friends beat the guy pretty, pretty bad...the police beat the guy pretty bad and send it to jail

The Security guy spends 6 months in jail...without trial or investigation then the court release it.

1-year latter this girl with her best friend, drunk in a party were making fun about how the guy never touches her not even talked to her...and how she faked all that just because his boyfriend was about to leave her for another girl...

Do you see how it works when the guilty until proven innocent principle doesn't work?...the goal should be to get a better justice system not always believe or disbelieve blindly.

BTW I'm not saying in any way that this girl is lying I just trying to show you why I don't believe or disbelieve blindly.

If we shouldn't believe the victims... Why should we believe you and your story? Do you have any proof of it?

Probably not. Again, concern trolling.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Took a look at this Twitter account and he's been calling out these abusers and signal boosting victim accounts. Seems like you are really misrepresenting what he is saying. Seems like he has his own story to tell but feels he wont be believed because he's a male victim with a female abuser...which is a huge problem. I just made a thread about Male rape/abuse victims on off-topic two weeks ago which delves into this issue.
Yeah I was watching a video about entertainment treating the subject of men being sexually assaulted or raped as a joke once and it was legitimately revolting, I couldn't even finish it.

Oct 27, 2017
There is something funny about the dumb bro shit that happened at E3s of yore, essentially telling people it's fine, and then being confused why your consumers are filled with dumb bros.

Cultivated that audience.

There's still stuff like that at E3. Anyone there this year might have noticed the scantily clad women dancing at the BANG energy drink booth. Couldn't believe they let that kind of stuff into E3 still.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Why do people keep this stuff as an "open secret". Did we learn nothing from Saville or Weinstein? People who know about this stuff and don't do anything have to take a serious look at themselves.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I don't recognize a single name being mentioned in here or in the twitter links. This is going to require a deep dive.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, if the allegations are false, "I'm taking legal action against false accusations against myself" is a reasonable step. But as it's far more likely that he's the abuser here, the whole thing is just even more disheartening.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
DARVO is a really interesting concept. It's amazing how five letters can break down an entire psychological reaction shared universally by abusers when they're called out.

It stands for:

Deny
Attack
Reverse Victim and Offender

Basically, abusers never admit that they were wrong. Ever. It doesn't even cross their mind. Instead, they deny the claims, and then use psychological manipulation to make themselves the victim, and the victim the abuser.

When the victim is made the bad guy, not only does it invalidate the claims, but it also furthers the abuse against the victim, which gives abusers even more enjoyment. It's like turning lemons into lemonade.

DARVO can be very convincing, so spectators can join in the demonization of the victim, which means that the general public starts abusing the individual. It discourages other victims from coming forward, and perpetuates our culture of silence.

You can see this dude start his DARVO spiel when he claims this is a campaign of harassment.
Interesting.

What should someone do in case they're indeed falsely accused? Is there any way that won't back fire? How do you defend yourself against an ill-intended person? Denying but without attack, is my first guess, but if someone really are falsely accusing you of something that didn't happen, isn't there something you should do against someone who slander your name? What would be the best moves in such cases?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was watching a video about entertainment treating the subject of men being sexually assaulted or raped as a joke once and it was legitimately revolting, I couldn't even finish it.
Yes it's a serious problem, also that tweet in no way attacks any victims of abuse. It's a call for help from someone who is part of the large cohort of victims who don't fit into the male perpetrator/female victim paradigm. It's expressing the frustration with the exclusion of other paradigms from the conversation.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Yes it's a serious problem, also that tweet in no way attacks any victims of abuse. It's a call for help from someone who is part of the large cohort of victims who don't fit into the male perpetrator/female victim paradigm. It's expressing the frustration with the exclusion of other paradigms from the conversation.
Yeah, I hope they'll feel like they come forward someday.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well that's a shithead to add to the list.

I'm all for caution but here it's pretty evident that there's more than just smoke.

Edit: removed a poorly written sentence that could be misinterpreted.