• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
To be honest, Era should put guideline to this type of Post.

I remember the Cristiano Ronaldo / EA post people get banned and insulted for not taking the victim side in that issue and at the end, the case was dropped by the district attorney's office.

we really need some guidelines or rules about posting this kind of things.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think women just randomly wake up in the morning every so often and say to themselves "I'm gonna accuse some dude of sexual assault today"?

You think this is 100% impossible? If so, I admire your blind faith towards human honesty. I'm not downplaying anything but believing *each* claim isn't healthy either...

I remember the Cristiano Ronaldo / EA post people get banned and insulted for not taking the victim side in that issue and at the end, the case was dropped by the district attorney's office.

Good luck on this.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky

no

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

A wold famous athlete having their sexual assault case dropped did not come as a surprise to literally anyone.

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US
You think this is 100% impossible? If so, I admire your blind faith towards human honesty. I'm not downplaying anything but believing *each* claim isn't healthy either...

Good luck on this.

I mean, you can believe there's a huge conspiracy against all these men, with people from many different areas of game development and journalism, or you can believe consistent testimony from many different people. Hint: prosecutors who actually give a shit about victims believe the latter.

Edit: A case being dropped as evidence of innocence? Oh, my sweet summer child, I have some news about rich people and the justice system.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn depressing. Was planning on starting Cultist Simulator. Why is treating your peers with basic respect such a difficult concept to grasp for some people?

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017

There is no optimism about human nature involved here. This is us saying "All evidence points to sexual assault and harassment being absurdly common, underreported and hidden due to fear of retribution, and often not followed up on even when it is reported."

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Legally speaking, innocent until proven guilty. But also, like, where there's smoke, there's fire.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
A wold famous athlete having their sexual assault case dropped did not come as a surprise to literally anyone.

"Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt," the district attorney's office in Clark County, Nev."

Maybe in Era got more evidence than the district attorney's office, is crazy to see people get hostile against the ones that actually prefers to wait for authorities before putting the blame on ppl about matters that we actually can 't prove beyond a social media post.

This kind of Post need to have a guideline and is for good.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017

Same Ronaldo case where he admitted she said no and paid her 300k to go away?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
There is no optimism about human nature involved here. This is us saying "All evidence points to sexual assault and harassment being absurdly common, underreported and hidden due to fear of retribution, and often not followed up on even when it is reported."

Its like no one is paying attention

Look at our current culture and state of the world

Its a no brainer to side with the victims based on how consistently shitty men have been over the past several generations in various spaces.

Especially when combined with success and power.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
"Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt," the district attorney's office in Clark County, Nev."

Maybe in Era got more evidence than the district attorney's office, is crazy to see people get hostile against the ones that actually prefers to wait for authorities before putting the blame on ppl about matters that we actually can 't prove beyond a social media post.

beyond a reasonable doubt

This does not mean he is innocent at all. Learn the damn legal system.

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US

Hey asshole, you forgot the very important part when you were reading it. Here, I bolded it for you. Here's another hint: that doesn't mean he didn't do it. Rape isn't something you can always get physical evidence from, so a lot of rape and child sexual exploitation trials rely on..........EYEWITNESS TESTIMONY. YOU KNOW. LIKE A VICTIM TALKING ABOUT IT.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
God is the game industry more prevalent with these types of people than other industries? I could actually see it being true. Some people never able to have good female relationships as children in highschool (due to "nerd" culture) then suddenly they have some notoriety and never built the control in the childhood to contain themselves. Sad.

Almost as sad is seeing all the vitriol that goes around in these threads. It seems these threads have the LEAST amount of common decency between posters as any other thread (even if justified).

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

Imagine you're a 911 operator. Someone calls and says they were just shot. Would you send help, or would you say "I'm skeptical, because believing each claim isn't healthy"?

Our justice system is based off of believing in human honesty. It's why people testify under oath. What is an oath, anyway?

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Imagine you're a 911 operator. Someone calls and says they were just shot. Would you send help, or would you say "I'm skeptical, because believing each claim isn't healthy"?

Our justice system is based off of believing in human honesty. It's why people testify under oath. What is an oath, anyway?

I don't think you're making the argument you think you're making. The reason why the #metoo movement exists is in great part due to the fact that the justice system is broken and victim feel lost and powerless.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, no. ERA's not a court and it shouldn't have the same standards. Courts have the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard for criminal cases because they're able to deprive someone of their liberty. All we can do is call someone an asshole and not support them, so our standards get to be a lot more lenient.

Unless you're suggesting that we should all forgive O.J. for what he did.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Yep. But i blame a large part of the industry almost as much as i blame goobergaters. It wouldn't have grown and had the malicious effects it had without the deafening silence from almost anyone with power.

I definitely remember what the gaming press looked like in the 90s and early 00s, especially the advertisement. GG was just the audience they explicitly catered to and cultivated expressing itself; they wouldn't exist if the industry hadn't been courting their like for decades.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'm not gonna let all you dudes with your usual bag of worn out abuser-enabling arguments and faux civility make me angry today because I am SO PROUD of all these women speaking out.

Game development can be a truly miserable place for woman because of men and the bravery of the past few days will help to bring more women in and keep those who are close to burning out.

I know someone close to me who was groped and harassed multiple times by a guy whose behaviour was shrugged off because "oh, that's how he is". And, more importantly, he was an irreplaceable genius coder.

I hope assholes like that are starting to feel afraid. I hope more of them see consequences.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I never heard of this particular person until this topic, but after reading the Twitter threads I'm so damn glad he's being called out.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
So many gross posts in this thread but I can't say that I'm shocked. Some gamers care more about their games than they do these brave women who are outing abusers for the scum they are.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Our justice system is based off of the idea that some guilty people will be found not guilty. There is an incredibly high barrier for a guilty verdict, because there's a lot of weight behind stripping people of their freedom and incarcerating them.

Its asinine that this even has to be explained to people

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you're making the argument you think you're making. The reason why the #metoo movement exists is in great part due to the fact that the justice system is broken and victim feel lost and powerless.

Everyone has their day in court. On a base level, the justice system works. The problem is when you look at profit driven lawyers, dirty cops (including rape kit backlogs and victim blaming during the reporting process), corrupt judges, biased juries, and back room settlements.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Dismissing Allegations of Sexual Misconduct Over Multiple Posts in this Thread

According to OP, that statement was made on Twitter, not 911.

And please let me know when Twitter became a reliable source of testifying under oath.

I know I'm the devil when I my kid come back hurt from school because of a fight and one of the question I ask is "What did YOU do?". Rape and violence DO happen. There ARE bad people in the world. There are also two sides of a story which people too often tend to forget.

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US

And please let me know when Twitter became a reliable source of testifying under oath.

I know I'm the devil when I my kid come back hurt from school because of a fight and one of the question I ask is "What did YOU do?". Rape and violence DO happen. There ARE bad people in the world. There are also two sides of a story which people too often tend to forget.

How's your reading comprehension so bad yet you still can write

Also: yes you are. Ain't making yourself look like you're a good father at all.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

You realize that these movements are backed up by looking at long form statistics about our unbalanced culture of sexual assault for this very reason

Its why they say.. in the absence of absolute evidence trust the testimony of the victim because more often than not in our current environment they are the ones being silenced

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Reporting abusers on Twitter often leads to charges. Much of MeToo broke on Twitter. It's why you have to wait instead of kneejerk posting to discredit victims.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Good luck on this.

Yes I have no faith in the men who take opportunities to abuse women. I believe in the women who chose to speak out because it is so much easier to pretend nothing happened ( both from the victims and perpetuators' end) than to find the courage to speak out. What's the personal benefit in lying? It is difficult to get justice, men tend to get away and resume their lives and the women who speak out get harassed by other men.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Everyone has their day in court. On a base level, the justice system works. The problem is when you look at profit driven lawyers, dirty cops (including rape kit backlogs and victim blaming during the reporting process), corrupt judges, biased juries, and back room settlements.

Understand your point more after reading your latest post, it was just confusing to me. Didn't know where you were going with this. But I do now!

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I have no faith in the men who take opportunities to abuse women. I believe in the women who chose to speak out because it is so much easier to pretend nothing happened ( both from the victims and perpetuators' end) than to find the courage to speak out. What's the personal benefit in lying? It is difficult to get justice, men tend to get away and resume their lives and the women who speak out get harassed by other men.

The amount of women who would consider lying and subject themselves to such risk are so statistically insignificant its laughable to use them as a defense

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017

Bro people got banned for taking Ronaldo's side because he fucking admitted it