• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US
If you want to see a more successful version of DARVO, look at ProJared's "apology" and how quick people ate that up.

Anyway, I fucking hate rapists and abusive people, so I'm glad it's finally fucking happening.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I've been out of the loop this week. Who else is getting dirt dug up on them?
Ken Wong

www.resetera.com

Ken Wong (Monument Valley) accused of abuse and harassment

It was an open secret apparently on what a piece of shit Ken Wong is but this really puts it in perspective. Total trash.

Alec Holowka

I think someone else too, it's hard to keep up.

edit: thanks everyone, it was Jeremy Soule

www.resetera.com

Jeremy Soule (Skyrim/Guild Wars 2 Composer) Accused of Rape

http://www.nathalielawhead.com/candybox/calling-out

Last edited:

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
What do victims have to gain out of faking allegations like this other than vitriol from incel-tier peanut brain posters like you
Don't you think this reply of yours might be a little bit overboard? The post looked to be in bad faith but personal attacks like that are excessive
OT: man, another one? Is abuse of power that tempting, or is developing games specially attractive to scummy people?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
User Banned (1 Month): Trolling About Sexual Abuse Over a Series of Posts; Prior Severe Ban for Dismissing Sexual Harassment
Maybe believe women

Your attitude is why so many victims don't come forward until much later.
I heard the issue is that the police in the US don't react on rape allegations. Does the same thing apply in UK?

Also, what's next am I the reason people get abused too?

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I've been out of the loop this week. Who else is getting dirt dug up on them?
Jeremy Soule, well known game composer
Alec Holowka, Co designer on Night in the Woods
Ken Wong, a designer on Monument Valley
Ben Judd, former Capcom translator who worked on the Mighty No 9 and Bloodstained Kickstarters campaigns
Vlad Micu, freelance consultant for indie devs
Marc Ten Bosch, indie dev

Wouldn't be surprised if I was missing one or two

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you think this reply of yours might be a little bit overboard? The post looked to be in bad faith but personal attacks like that are excessive

Don't you think after numerous horror stories we should stop being concerned about tone when people bring up the same tired bad faith arguments that time and time again have been discussed to not be rooted in any statistical truth

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
And you might want to think why you chose to focus on the guy that "went a bit overboard" and not the person who called victims liars? One is waaaaaaaaaay worse than the other.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to see a more successful version of DARVO, look at ProJared's "apology" and how quick people ate that up.

Anyway, I fucking hate rapists and abusive people, so I'm glad it's finally fucking happening.

Well crafted DARVO is terrifying because of how effective it is and how quickly people latch onto it.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I heard the issue is that the police in the US don't react on rape allegations. Does the same thing apply in UK?

Also, what's next am I the reason people get abused too?

There are a lot of reasons victims don't report this stuff - there's no one thing exclusive to one region.

You're not the reason people get abused unless you enable abuse or abuse others, no.

But your attitude is still part of why women don't come forward with this stuff until much later.

Which actually enables a culture of abuse so uh, yeah partially

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
DARVO is a really interesting concept. It's amazing how five letters can break down an entire psychological reaction shared universally by abusers when they're called out.

It stands for:

Deny
Attack
Reverse Victim and Offender

Basically, abusers never admit that they were wrong. Ever. It doesn't even cross their mind. Instead, they deny the claims, and then use psychological manipulation to make themselves the victim, and the victim the abuser.

When the victim is made the bad guy, not only does it invalidate the claims, but it also furthers the abuse against the victim, which gives abusers even more enjoyment. It's like turning lemons into lemonade.

DARVO can be very convincing, so spectators can join in the demonization of the victim, which means that the general public starts abusing the individual. It discourages other victims from coming forward, and perpetuates our culture of silence.

You can see this dude start his DARVO spiel when he claims this is a campaign of harassment.
Was about to google it, thank you. And fuck that guy. And all other abusers as well.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Jeremy Soule, well known game composer
Alec Holowka, Co designer on Night in the Woods
Ken Wong, a designer on Monument Valley
Ben Judd, former Capcom translator who worked on the Mighty No 9 and Bloodstained Kickstarters campaigns
Vlad Micu, freelance consultant for indie devs
Marc Ten Bosch, indie dev

Wouldn't be surprised if I was missing one or two
Bold mine
WTF Ben Judd too?!

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
WOW. That response from Alexis. "Let me hide in my tower, stop calling me out, I'll get my lawyers and the police on you". What an infant. Own up to your crimes, take the punishment and learn from it. He's just going to try and deny it until people forget and try and get away with it again. Throw the book at him.

Oct 26, 2017
And you'll believe any one of them.
Do you think women just randomly wake up in the morning every so often and say to themselves "I'm gonna accuse some dude of sexual assault today"?
Do you also think they have some weird hive mind thing going on where they just happen to home in on the same guy?

When it's multiple accusations with references to it also being an open secret, then yeah, I think I will choose to believe.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
(I never said that, that was someone else)

Sorry.

But no. It wouldn't be the better reality. It would just add fuel to the overwhelming fire that is the tendency for people to frame women as liars trying to get ahead. We cannot wave a magic wand and change reality. Noone can give back what was taken from these women, so our only option is to consider their words.

"i like the games though" is the #1 reason it's so fucking hard to change the bullshit culture of this industry.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
How about you wait until you've heard the following trial procedure or an actual blowout of supporting cases instead of just believing whatever random profile picture has jumped on the bandwagon?

She isn't random, she's a writer in the videogame industry. Thus, her suffering and talking about being abused in the video game industry is something along the lines of the opposite of random.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
How about you wait until you've heard the following trial procedure or an actual blowout of supporting cases instead of just believing whatever random profile picture has jumped on the bandwagon?

Is this the alt account of the guy who was banned for peddling this same shit yesterday?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do the victims really want that? I would think they'd want to stay low profile.

Perhaps - is it possible to signal boost their stories without them? It's really a conundrum when you want to be supportive and fight against this behavior in a way public enough to have a real effect - but it's the double edged sword of naturally inviting some toxicity with it.

I'd imagine that's part of what makes it so difficult to even talk about

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
And you might want to think why you chose to focus on the guy that "went a bit overboard" and not the person who called victims liars? One is waaaaaaaaaay worse than the other.
I'm not arguing that is worse, it is. Simply implying that a curated forum with a progressive stance would suggest more elaborate ways to deal with suspicious attitudes than calling people names. But I agree with you that my post could be read in an apologetic way, and believe me, that was not my intent. So allow me to rectify

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Several women have corroborated the story though...
And they're not just "random profile pictures", either. Rhianna Pratchett, for example, is a well-known industry figure. She's worked on Heavenly Sword, the Tomb Raider reboot games, Mirror's Edge,...

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

That's not how the justice system works.

Only a very very small percentage of allegations go to court, because it's not worth pursuing without some certainty a conviction can be brought.

Many of these allegations are trans-national. so that's already a barrier.
And then there is the fact that even just by saying it, these women are now going to probably get their lives further ruined.

The idea that someone has "everything to gain" when it comes to addressing sexual assault in this industry is laughable.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
*multiple known and named women in games dev make accusations of abuse and rape, with other known and named women in games corroborating the accusations*
Asbsand: Lol ya'll really will believe anything a random avatar will say on the internet, what if it's all fake?

What you're practicing isn't skepticism. It's indifference.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
And they're not just random profile pictures, either. Rhianna Pratchett, for example, is a well-known industry figure. She's worked on Heavenly Sword, the Tomb Raider reboot games, Mirror's Edge,...

Yep, and Rhianna Pratchett is an amazing person within the industry. I got to hang around with her back in the Overlord days, and I loved talking with her about her work. I was specifically told I shouldn't talk to much about her father, so I made sure I did not during interviews. Her insights were amazing.

So yeah, I can safely say this Alexis Kennedy thing is true. He can play the victim all he wants, with all the people corroborating the story, he's got no case if he even does go to the police. Which seemed like an empty threat to me.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And you'll believe any one of them.
A Stanford study shows that 98% of sexual assault allegations are true. So it makes sense to give accusations a very serious benefit of the doubt. We should give the accused a chance to defend themselves if they can, but it's not wrong to believe victims practically all of the time. Furthermore, only 40% of incidents are generally reported, meaning we should encourage victims to come forward without fear of repercussion.

Obviously the false accusations do happen and are extremely unfortunate and harmful to all everyone. We can't pretend it never happens. But it is extremely rare, and in general it is sensible to believe the accuser.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

You need to assume that victims are telling the truth so that they get the support they need. It's a balancing act. It's why we arrest people when they're charged, and release them when they're cleared.

If this is a lie, the truth will come out eventually. But instantly trying to discredit victims as a kneejerk reaction is dangerous and says a lot about how you process empathy.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
As a massive fan of Sunless Sea, this is incredibly disheartening to hear. So many of the good memories I have from that game are going to be tainted because of this shitstain. Hopefully the other people behind it aren't as trash as him.

I can only hope that the victims find some peace and that more are empowered to come forward and name their abusers.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if a celebrity like ProJared is necessarily comparable to an outing of someone behind the scenes.

People like ProJared have fans who will defend them no matter what they do. It'd be a more apt comparison if someone like Kojima got ousted.

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018
While it is disappointing to hear this guy is a prick (that tweet response, WOW) the disappointment is overwhelmed by how great it is to see shit like this being brought to light instead of remaining an "open secret in the industry". I want to know who all of these assholes are so I can avoid giving them any money.