• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will AOC campaigning with Bernie Sanders make a difference to the Sanders 2020 campaign?

• Yes

Votes: 324 59.8%
  • No

Votes: 128 23.6%
  • I don't know or I'm not sure

Votes: 90 16.6%

• Total voters

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
(sigh) Bernie and Warren are just going to knock each other out of the race, at this point. It's infuriating.

I don't care who gets it. But this split down the line thing is a curse.

Eventually one will drop out and endorse the other, and hopefully their base and support goes with them.

You add their polling numbers together and no other candidate could even come close.

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm starting to wonder how underrepresented Sanders may be in traditional polling methods.

When I get down about polls I remember Michigan and it's primary which had a thirty point polling failure for Bernard.He was predicted to lose by 25 and won by 5.

I've seen polls this cycle with 10 percent moe. Then there's the failure to predict Trump. These people aren't trustworthy anymore.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm afraid that one of them isn't gonna drop out until it's too late for their bases to combine and overtake Biden's
This. And I don't even necessarily blame them, each has a decent shot. If one starts strongly overtaking the other, the other has a good incentive to resign. But if they stay close *to each other*, neither will want to drop out.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eventually one will drop out and endorse the other, and hopefully their base and support goes with them.

You add their polling numbers together and no other candidate could even come close.

You couldn't just add their polling numbers together. They aren't the second choice of many of the other candidate's voters.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
We know exactly how it's going to play in 2020 when the other side mentions non stop that their guy hasn't had any major health complications, while one of the Democratic hopefuls has.

I don't even think Bernie is likely to get the nomination anyway, so this is all pointless speculation, but if he was the candidate, he'd lose.

No, we don't know. Just like we didn't know how Trump's blatant racism, idiocy, and inexperience would play out.

Like, is there evidence in the polls that suffering a heart attack was a significant setback to Bernie's chances? Is there any world where Trump's health is actually a competitive advantage, considering his age, his lack of discipline, and all that other stuff? Just as Bernie's heart attack helped to open my heart to him, could we not imagine Bernie using an event like that to his advantage, conjuring up sympathy, galvanizing a sense of collective purpose, using it to create a point of contrast between him and his opponent?

What I'm trying to say here: this rush to defeatism in the face of a significant but frequently workable health issue isn't rooted in anything concrete. Trust me, I understand the fear; health issues aside, even, it'd be nice for the average age of our candidates to be significantly lower. The process of rooting for a candidate always includes making a gamble, though. I don't think Bernie's heart attack makes him particularly more vulnerable to Republican nonsense than the endless other things that have been brought up about all the other frontrunners.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

among other things, he would hire far less from orgs like CAP (which basically exists at this point to keep the Overton window from shifting far enough left to genuinely threaten donor-class interests), would be far less welcoming to lobbyists, and would generally adhere much less to the "pay your dues to the party" model of career advancement than any of the other candidates

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, we don't know. Just like we didn't know how Trump's blatant racism, idiocy, and inexperience would play out.

Like, is there evidence in the polls that suffering a heart attack was a significant setback to Bernie's chances? Is there any world where Trump's health is actually a competitive advantage, considering his age, his lack of discipline, and all that other stuff? Just as Bernie's heart attack helped to open my heart to him, could we not imagine Bernie using an event like that to his advantage, conjuring up sympathy, galvanizing a sense of collective purpose, using it to create a point of contrast between him and his opponent?

What I'm trying to say here: this rush to defeatism in the face of a significant but frequently workable health issue isn't rooted in anything concrete. Trust me, I understand the fear; health issues aside, even, it'd be nice for the average age of our candidates to be significantly lower. The process of rooting for a candidate always includes making a gamble, though. I don't think Bernie's heart attack makes him particularly more vulnerable to Republican nonsense than the endless other things that have been brought up about all the other frontrunners.

Well it's not as bad as all those awkward pics of Biden that's for sure.

Out of the main 3 I do feel Bernie is the least likely to win, but if he can go all the way then great.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
among other things, he would hire far less from orgs like CAP (which basically exists at this point to keep the Overton window from shifting far enough left to genuinely threaten donor-class interests), would be far less welcoming to lobbyists, and would generally adhere much less to the "pay your dues to the party" model of career advancement than any of the other candidates

while that may be accurate (i do have some qualms about the "pay your dues to the party" bit given some of his campaign hires, he certainly seems to value loyalty), it seems like if the democratic party establishment is out to Stop Bernie that they'd actually grow their organizations and agents under a Sanders Presidency? i feel like it's going to open a lot of exciting career opportunities for people in the biz even if they aren't necessarily moving up to the White House staff.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Every so often I begin to question myself why I'm not supporting Bernie this go-around considering he's the closest to my political alignment (he's still way to the right of me).
I was on his train pretty much from the start in 2016, got into a few scraps with PoliGaf during those primaries to be sure. But then again, that's only because FORMA decided not to run against Clinton.

So even though I'm still not supporting Bernie in the primaries, I'm extremely happy that they're putting focus on climate change and our overall consumption. Those matter for the future and present.

Hopefully Liz steals a lot of these ideas and tries to incorporate them into her platform if she hasn't already.

Goddammit Bernie, why did you have to hire Tad Devine for 2016 and now be old as hell. Fuck.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm afraid that one of them isn't gonna drop out until it's too late for their bases to combine and overtake Biden's
With this gust Bernie has gotten I fear this will be the case.

Two months ago I was thinking this was going to be similar to the 2007 race where once Edwards conceded the left vote coalesced around Obama and that was it.

With Warren and Bernie neck and neck it very well may be the case that they doom the collective chance of a more left-wing, enthusiasm inducing candidate making it through.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddammit Bernie, why did you have to hire Tad Devine for 2016 and now be old as hell. Fuck.

I mean its been well documented why he hired Devine... I mentioned it in the first page

His 2016 presidential campaign was no different — in part because nobody who wanted a future in Democratic Party politics thought they'd survive coming near his challenge to Hillary Clinton. Jeff Weaver, who left Sanders's office in 2009 to run a comic book store, came out of retirement to work as campaign manager, but few others joined the official campaign.

"You have to remember in the very beginning, it was very hard for the Bernie campaign to hire pros," said Becky Bond, an adviser to the 2016 Sanders campaign, "because it was just very clear that you'd be totally blackballed, not just from a White House or a federal agency job, but from any of the Democratic-aligned institutions. Even vendors who weren't employed by the Clinton campaign didn't want to work for the Bernie campaign, because they were worried about not getting business in the future."

That meant that, by definition, the staff had to be filled out by renegades, people with activist rather than campaign backgrounds, and operatives accustomed to taking on the establishment.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
This. And I don't even necessarily blame them, each has a decent shot. If one starts strongly overtaking the other, the other has a good incentive to resign. But if they stay close *to each other*, neither will want to drop out.
It feels like the GOP primary, but in reverse: Whereas for them a big pool of centrist conservatives split the "moderate" vote too thin, allowing a populist to quickly lead the pools, and gain momentum from there (with big help from free media coverage), it seems during the current Dem primary it's actually the (left wing) populist vote that's being split in half by Warren and Bernie, allowing Biden to appear stronger in the pools than he really is, perhaps enough to get him to win the nomination.