• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Another example why these sorts of news should be banned in a forum where people know fuck nothing about devs lives.

Again, that doesn't help things at all. Banning discussion of real things happening in the world benefits no one.

Banning STUPID "I just popped into this thread to say this one thing byyyyyyyye" takes on the other hand would make more sense.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, how about we ignore the dude with 95 posts and multiple sexist trolling comments in his history who is obviously trying to account suicide and get screenshotted on GAF/Bore/etc.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
it's important for people to face consequences for their actions and be held accountable by victims, but it's another example of disastrous consequences of trying to solve problems through grandstanding on social media.

rip. other than the family of alec i feel terrible for the accusers and the night in the woods team, the guilt surrounding a seemingly avoidable suicide is horrible and also wildly disproportionate to any actions they've taken. i hope they have access to care mechanisms.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
This is not a "random accusation," this is a woman with a name and face who credibly came forward with allegations of abusive behavior towards an individual and was almost immediately backed up by several corroborating accounts from others.

This is exactly how the process works when we cannot count on law enforcement, the judicial system, or wider society to fix the problem of sexual abuse and assault. If you don't like it, fix the system.

Alec Howolka, and Alec Howolka alone, is responsible for Alec Howolka's death. No one else. End of discussion.

This is the post everyone should be quoting and saying "I agree" instead of that shitty "take politics out of my games" one

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
One less abuser equals to less abuse in this world and the ultimate goal should be to get rid of abuse

The man was trying to get help. The death penalty is only rarely used for a reason, because rehabilitation should always be the goal of the legal system, not execution. Fucking hell, man.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Victims speak out publicly because their chances of making any headway in the justice system are slim to none. (Only .5% lead to conviction) Not only that but the amount of people actually reporting sexual assaults and the like is low due to fear, such as retribution (only ~23% are reported)

Out_Of_1000_SexualAssaults_053019.png

The Criminal Justice System: Statistics | RAINN

The majority of perpetrators of sexual assault will not go to prison.

This is not the victim's fault, as terrible as the outcome may be.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One less abuser equals to less abuse in this world and the ultimate goal should be to get rid of abuse
Or, how about we focus on ending cycles of abuse and helping abusers get the help they need to become better people? Rehabilitation, not punitive measures, should be the priority in all things.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Fuck man. I know "both-sidesing" is usually bullshit, but this is the one time I'm willing to pull it.

People on Twitter calling for Zoe's head are obviously ridiculous, and I think anyone on Era can agree on that. But people on Twitter (and HERE) celebrating Holowka's death are just as vile. Like are we not on the same page here? Do we not believe in rehabilitation?

Are The Gamers really that incapable of taking the blinders off and realizing that not everything is a game? There are no "sides." Nobody fucking won here, and nobody is going to. This shit isn't a contest. This is a tragedy, every step of the way. Y

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the victims. But this whole situation took a dark turn. Perhaps threads like this one should be discussed somewhere else. That's all I'm saying.
I don't think it helps if we just move this whole matter to another sub forum and that sub forum continues as before.

I think this is an opportunity for growth and change and if we shut that off in another sub forum less people will learn or experience the growing pains of this process.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

We should never be happy someone ends their life. I'm happy that they cut ties with him no matter the outcome but I want them to live what he did and at some point try and make some kind of contribution that was more positive

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
We should not ban conversations like this because it does no good to the victims. It is true that many of us here see red in a moment of fury, but there are so many others who can sympathize and who can display rightful anger without becoming monsters. We just need to be so much better at handling these situations. Both with the victim and the abuser. And by that I mean we believe the victim and do not celebrate when someone takes their life.

RIP to Alec and I desperately hope that his family finds solace and comfort in this time. They must be going through so much pain. And I really hope Zoe recovers well from all this and knows that there are people supporting her and wishing the best for her. She doesn't deserve any backlash at all for what Alec did to his life.
You guys are seriously blaming victims, we should be celebrating this, Zoe got her abuser back in the end
This on the other hand is absolute trash.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
This is not a "random accusation," this is a woman with a name and face who credibly came forward with allegations of abusive behavior towards an individual and was almost immediately backed up by several corroborating accounts from others.

This is exactly how the process works when we cannot count on law enforcement, the judicial system, or wider society to fix the problem of sexual abuse and assault. If you don't like it, fix the system.

Alec Howolka, and Alec Howolka alone, is responsible for Alec Howolka's death. No one else. End of discussion.
Fantastic post

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
He didnt deserve to die for this. He deserved to be brought to justice. Noone should be celebrating any of the goings on with any of the situations surrounding this. Noone shoudl be cheering for revenge we should be searching to better ourselves.

stump sock

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, what purpose does leaving this thread open even serve at this point. It's clear that people aren't equipped to talk about this and/or you've got some blatant false flag posters. Just close this.

Oct 26, 2017
Situations like this are failings of the companies that people work for and of the authorities. There shouldn't be the need for people to air this stuff on social media. Companies should have processes in place such that employees can come forward in confidence. The authorities should have a setup in place so that victims can come forward. Playing this type of thing out on social media is never going to work out well for either party. People who know nothing about the situation pick a side and pile in making the situation more volatile.

This seems really hard to do in indie game development. They work together in units of 1 to 5 people.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Ignoring Staff Post, Dismissing Credible Accusations of Sexual Assault and Concern Trolling About Suicide

So bullying someone into suicide is the best we can do and we shouldn't try do better ourselves or have any kind of retrospective self criticism.

Gotta.

End of discussion indeed.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Victims speak out publicly because their chances of making any headway in the justice system are slim to none. (Only .5% lead to conviction) Not only that but the amount of people actually reporting sexual assaults and the like is low due to fear, such as retribution (only ~23% are reported)

Out_Of_1000_SexualAssaults_053019.png

The Criminal Justice System: Statistics | RAINN

The majority of perpetrators of sexual assault will not go to prison.

This is not the victim's fault, as terrible as the outcome may be.

Well said. Zoe has been through a lot and should never be made to suffer in silence if that is not what she wants.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So bulling someone into suicide is the best we can do and we shouldn't try do better ourselves or have any kind of retrospective self criticism.

Gotta.

Who bullied him into suicide? Are you saying that the company shouldnt have cut ties with him because that was likely a big contributing factor as well.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Has there been a denial of the things he was accused of? Why are people acting like the Internet mob or Quinn is responsible.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

I'm really not cool with boiling someone who struggled with mental illness and abuse down to this, even if they did terrible things. Just doesn't feel right, especially after the statement by Alec's sister.

edit: for clarity, the victims are not to blame either. Shouldn't have to be said but here we are.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah its a real hijacking of the situation. I think some people are just misguided about things such as...nuance.
Sure. I don't have a problem with saying harassment campaigns, even against alleged abusers, are not acceptable. What happened here is tragic. But the response of "shut down threads that publicize abuse" is just such a terrible response to it. It reeks of wanting things to go back to the way they were when victims had even less of a voice to speak with and it's no solution to what happened here. Then when you get people mentioning the "good vibes of video games" it's hard not to suspect they have the ulterior motive of just not wanting to hear about victims suffering on their electronic toy forum.

If people don't want to have to deal with this sort of thing, I would direct them to 99.9% of other video game communities. There's not some scarcity and shutting down one of the limited channels that will actually lend a sympathetic ear to victims is an offensive idea to me, personally.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So bullying someone into suicide is the best we can do and we shouldn't try do better ourselves or have any kind of retrospective self criticism.

Gotta.

Who did we bully?

The way some of you guys are talking you would think that this forum did anything other than read the news and discuss it and give their take. This isn't GG here, there was no campaign of hate or coordinated take down or any of that bull shit.

Last edited:

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Yeah there seems to be a lot of people who cannot tell the difference between calling out the abuser and telling them to kill themselves. People acting like the twitter "mob" was literally everyone advocating for suicide. It's a pretty disingenuous argument

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I'm really not cool with boiling someone who struggled with mental illness and abuse down to this, even if they did terrible things. Just doesn't feel right, especially after the statement by Alec's sister.
I don't think they meant it specifically that way, moreso to say it's no one *else's* fault. There could certainly be some internal factors and such that contributed.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
If people don't want to have to deal with this sort of thing, I would direct them to 99.9% of other video game communities. There's not some scarcity and shutting down one of the limited channels that will actually lend a sympathetic ear to victims is an offensive idea to me, personally.
Yeah thats what i was talking about earlier. People are quick to jump on internet mobs, but there's a massive mob on the internet and real life that is very much against abuse victims and discussion of abuse.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I took Olanzapine during a decade and met a lot of atypical people to tell you that "mental issue" doesn't mean anything reliable, like saying "biological issue" for a disease, it covers multiple and various situations where some are more social than mental. People can commit suicide without mental issue, and no pathology has ever been an excuse for anything except legal responsibility. And if you promote legality against mobs, defamation is among one of the easiest offense to defend.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
For people who want to "ban discussion" there is an ignore thread feature for a reason. Besides this is a discussion forum don't click the thread if you don't want to deal with the "drama". I promise you there are thousands of threads where this isn't being discussed.

Truly horrible situation all around. I worry that abuse victims will be concerned to speak out for fear of having "blood on their hands".

Dorkmgl

Oct 26, 2017
This is a good reminder that there is a human at the other end of a lot of this and while we'll probably never know the full story it sounds like this person was sick and tried to get help and not malicious.

People really need to consider what they're doing to folks in these cases. While some people definitely are, not everyone is a piece of human garbage cause they did something wrong.

Obviously this person did something wrong, and something wrong may have been done to him to cause it. Something was definitely done wrong to make him kill himself. Hes still at fault for what he did but he probably did not deserve to die for it.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I think it's possible for folks in these situations to express some level of sympathy towards the person or their family without diminishing their actions and the harm that they have caused.

Also, it goes without saying, fuck the people who are trying to blame this on the victim(s), not saying it's anyone on here. Shit like that, is just another level of the whole toxic culture of abuse.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
What I find troubling about this is that this is clearly the most exciting thing that has happened all day for a lot of people on here. So many people throwing around hot takes as though this civil case is some kind of spectator sport that they get to comment on, and clearly enjoying the arguments.

Have some respect. For everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.