• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Alec was a friend of mine and this is just the fucking worst. I'm still mostly numb. It's coming in waves.

Take care of yourselves. Talk to people. Get help, even if you just have an inkling you might need it. And believe victims.

And jesus christ leave his friends and family alone.
My condoleances. Stay healthy and safe; that's my wish to everyone involved with this tragedy.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I also believe it should be considered to avoid discussions about accusations, or at least, strongly ask to users to not jump too quickly on things...Because that feels unhealthy.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
at this point i genuinely believe it would be best if we banned all discussion of game devs' personal affairs from this forum because it is clear too many people on era cannot handle this shit in a reasonable way. it's a tragedy that alec's victims had to make this a public issue to get anything done about it because the internet at large lacks the humanity to not just harass and ridicule and insult everyone involved, right up until shit like this happens.

zoe, alec, and everyone else's lives are not a fucking soap opera for us to watch with popcorn in hand, rooting for our favorite teams and hooting and hollering at every new twist and turn. they are human beings dealing with complex personal issues that we know very little about other than what is presented to us (which is very little). era culture has reached the point where, in an attempt to project "wokeness", too many of us are treating other people's lives with all the delicacy of an internet console war argument. even now, in this very thread, after everything that's happened.

most of you didn't know alec. most of you don't know zoe. we're all just random people on the internet engaging in voyeurism over some shit that frankly was not and is not our fucking business. stop ripping each other's throats out about it and leave everyone involved alone.

I'm in agreeance. Especially with the bolded. These discussions are looking more and more like TMZ for gaming subculture nerds every day, complete with snarky, empty takes and a hatefully unhealthy dose of cancel culture. It's where a very large portion of this community's toxicity is brewed and short of a moderational reckoning, I think one final "cancel" is in order.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
at this point i genuinely believe it would be best if we banned all discussion of game devs' personal affairs from this forum because it is clear too many people on era cannot handle this shit in a reasonable way. it's a tragedy that alec's victims had to make this a public issue to get anything done about it because the internet at large lacks the humanity to not just harass and ridicule and insult everyone involved, right up until shit like this happens.

zoe, alec, and everyone else's lives are not a fucking soap opera for us to watch with popcorn in hand, rooting for our favorite teams and hooting and hollering at every new twist and turn. they are human beings dealing with complex personal issues that we know very little about other than what is presented to us (which is very little). era culture has reached the point where, in an attempt to project "wokeness", too many of us are treating other people's lives with all the delicacy of an internet console war argument. even now, in this very thread, after everything that's happened.

most of you didn't know alec. most of you don't know zoe. we're all just random people on the internet engaging in voyeurism over some shit that frankly was not and is not our fucking business. stop ripping each other's throats out about it and leave everyone involved alone.
How can we make the line between internet voyeurism and activism distinct when vital complainants of movements are embedded in that culture. This is not and should be limited to Era. Quinn's activism lives on the internet and uses it as a vehicle to expand the message in a necessary way.

Oct 25, 2017

This is the best post in this thread. Everyone should give this a read.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I also believe it should be considered to avoid discussions about accusations, or at least, strongly ask to users to not jump too quickly on things...Because that feels unhealthy.

Banning discussions on accusations of abuse is the opposite of helpful. It's forcing victims back into the shadows.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017

I am inclined to agree.

Victims need support. The law needs to investigate all allegations thoroughly.

Due process is also needed for those accused.

We cannot descend into a carnival of horror for all parties.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised not a lot more people commit suicide too after having the entire internet come after them (especially if these people are already suffering from mental illness).

Now Zoe is going to face the same shit too which is ironic considering people are attacking her for pressuring someone into suicide which is exactly what they're doing now to her.

Awful situation all around when you consider he was a victim of abuse as well. And yeah don't read the comments on that tweet since both sides are acting like dicks as expected.

Stuggatz

Jun 6, 2018
Lots of gasoline for internet hate mobs this week. I think our society would benefit by eliminating statute of limitations on sexual assault as well as expanding remedies for civil suits stemming from sexual assault. That makes reporting these crimes to authorities a viable option. That way the arbiter of these difficult situations will be an expert or a dedicated group of peers dedicated to sifting through the rubble. As it stands, we're just a bunch of mildly-informed morons making judgment calls (which, not coincidentally, happen to match our pre-conceived notions) and acting accordingly.

It's not productive to use social media to direct internet hate mobs against our perceived enemies.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I believe this was frankly a show of support.

With a lot of abusers they get the "he was such a nice person, perfect in every way. he helped me get through something, he could never do this"

This was to counteract that and I don't think i disagree with it.
Agreed.

I think above all else, his death is a tragedy. That doesn't mean he shouldn't have been called out. That doesn't mean more voices shouldn't have chimed in with corroborating stories. I don't know his personal financial situation, but I don't believe he became literally unemployable with this news. It was too soon for a redemption arc, but it could have happened. This clearly wasn't a healthy man pushed to suicide by internet bullies. I didn't see any prominent voices pushing for harrassment targeted at him. Maybe they could have done a better job of encouraging people not to target him personally. But who knows if that would have done anything.

Ultimately, he felt the consequences of his actions were too much to bare. If he was innocent in this I believe someone would have spoken up for him, and the idea that the indie game community is somehow bewitched by feminist obligation and willing to just lie and pile on is ludicrous. There's a lot to learn here though.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Consider who benefits from banning discussion of abusive behavior by public figures.

Hint: it's not victims.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Theres nothing wrong with outing abusers and forcing them from the industry. People shouldn't have to work with toxic people. People also shouldn't have to forgive abuse.

Problem is of course, Alec was a game Dev, and I'm assuming he saw his future and his life was over. And forgiveness is not something his victims should just hand out cause he asks.

Honestly I dunno what the answer is. I don't think there can be one.

gg can go to hell though.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the best post in this thread. Everyone should give this a read.
No, it isn't. Read these two posts:

What you're advocating for is the type of "whisper network" abuse victims have traditionally had to use to try and warn others instead of being able to publicly warn people about abusive behavior. Alec Holowka was a public figure with power in the industry and people deserved to be made aware that he was dangerous.
These things only reach the venue of public discourse because the victims feel like there is no other way to be heard. This is seemingly not an uncommon thing in the games industry. Banning discussion of these things does not make them go away. Problems don't disappear just because we refuse to address them. Banning discussion of things in the gaming industry is counter productive. If the system didn't fail these people so often we wouldn't have to discuss it.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't want to sound insensitive, but this will cause an enormous backlash against the #metoo in video games. Especially targeted towards Quinn.
Which would show their hypocrisy since the channers usually cheer for driving people to suicide. Not that I expect any consistent logic from that scum.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
banning discussion of anything that's not directly related to games is kind of myopic and seems not dissimilar to That Place sequestering "politics" as its entire own board separate from off-topic
not knowing that someone is an abuser, a gator, a homophobe, whatever doesn't make them... stop being that?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I am inclined to agree.

Victims need support. The law needs to investigate all allegations thoroughly.

Due process is also needed for those accused.

We cannot descend into a carnival of horror for all parties.
I agree with you, but there is no due process. The courts are empty, or stacked not due to corruption necessarily but the same old biases against abuse victims that have always been.

The internet was started to form communities in virtual space, but we're alone. We're all alone.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Banning discussions on accusations of abuse is the opposite of helpful. It's forcing victims back into the shadows.
Seriously. It was made public. It absolutely needs to be discussed.

What some people seem to be proposing with regards to banning these sorts of discussions here is akin to the "keep politics out of my video games!" we've all heard uttered from the darkest basements.

Victims should not be silenced here or anywhere.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with that no side is doing any good here. When the 'cancel culture' started acting up and demanding Alec's removal and extradition from the industry it was coming from a morally justified place of making abusers answer for their evil acts. Despite the tragedy that this ended up with it's still currently the right thing to do among difficult decisions when a victim comes forward to not let abusers keep get away with it when sometimes the only sliver of a chance at justice is the mob's justice driving change

It's definitely messy and like we see here sometimes the abusers can have tragic and intensely difficult struggles of their own but standing with the victims and demanding the abusers be held accountable is the most moral imperative outcome to change the culture at large to take away from this whole tragedy.

While I generally agree, 'internet mob justice' rarely brings about the change that's actually needed.

It only tends the make matters worse. It encourages violent rhetoric against not only the abuser, but also the abused. The 'mob' splintering off into groups who start to attack each other and those involved, each group trying to one up each other and 'win'.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Can people ever rise above their worst actions? On the internet the answer to that question is no. If you did something bad but you turned your life around you'll likely never amount to more than who you were at your worst online.

I can't say what Quinn's objective was in her actions but I can say what the result was. That lead to a chain of events that ended a person's life. That's a hell of a thing to go to sleep at night knowing you contributed to in any way at all. People need to reflect on this the next time someone decides to go on Twitter and make a post to expose someone. You have to know that when you do something like that you will ruin someone else possibly for the rest of their life because online people will always be held to their worst.

The guy had mental health issues and reading between the lines it sounds like he was struggling to make sense of his actions in any case. The problem with the Internet is that even if somehow Alex and Zoe had worked through their issues outside of social media, there'd still be wankers out there giving them shit. It's just not the place for issue resolution. People can fuck up really badly in life and turn it around. But not under the glare of social media.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
The amount of people in this thread who want to silence victims deeply disgusts me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with outing abusers and victims should never be afraid of speaking out just because of something like this.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can people ever rise above their worst actions? On the internet the answer to that question is no. If you did something bad but you turned your life around you'll likely never amount to more than who you were at your worst online.

I can't say what Quinn's objective was in her actions but I can say what the result was. That lead to a chain of events that ended a person's life. That's a hell of a thing to go to sleep at night knowing you contributed to in any way at all. People need to reflect on this the next time someone decides to go on Twitter and make a post to expose someone. You have to know that when you do something like that you will ruin someone else possibly for the rest of their life because online people will always be held to their worst.
What a load of complete bs.

1. The "chain of events" you speak of certainly didn't start with Zoe going public with the accusations.

2. Threatening self-harm is a common psychological tactic for abusers to silence their victims and to control them. Victims should never be given the feeling that they cannot speak up.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Why am I not surprised the lions' share of tut-tutting about internet mobs comes from folks who were MIA when the initial allegations broke?

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Go to hell for this you victim shaming asshole.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This entire thread has been based on kneejerk reactions. That is all these threads are. There has to be another way for victims to go about it, other than trial by social media.

We are not the court of public opinion. We're a forum. Acting like posts in this thread drove Alec to suicide is a woeful misrepresentation of what happened.

Again, we cannot simply go "nope, don't talk about accusations" because the industry tried that for 30+ years and it clearly was not working.

Even right now, people are jumping to conclusions and kneejerking about things. There is a way to discuss these kinds of topics without instantly resorting to this kind of behavior, and that's the kind of thing that needs to be corrected.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
This entire thread has been based on kneejerk reactions. That is all these threads are. There has to be another way for victims to go about it, other than trial by social media, because it helps no one in the long run.

I never thought I'd see people against the #metoo movement, but here we are.

The whole point is that there is not another way.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
This entire thread has been based on kneejerk reactions. That is all these threads are. There has to be another way for victims to go about it, other than trial by social media, because it helps no one in the long run.
But what? The legal system that has no way to account for crimes in a space without blood? The muddiness of allowing the abuser and the abused to be pushed into a forced unwanted group therapy i.e. both continuing on as if nothing happened and trying to work together? The unions that frankly are still years off if they happen at all under the weight of a system that loves disposable wage slaves?

I just don't think public scrutiny should be disposed of entirely.

May 26, 2018
In some way this feels like a failure of the system. Social, legal, or whatever. Like it's kinda designed (or allowed) to protect "damage," and all sorts of fucked up shit happens because we don't have anything in place to counteract it, like corrupted seeds growing in a garden. People abused. People dying. Floundering in an ocean of communal suffering and crying out.

What are we going to do?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it is, but it's sadder that society's lack of protection and awareness of abuse led to this for both abusers and abused.
Exactly. Our society lets these things happen, lets abuse fester beneath the surface unchallenged and unremedied until the dam bursts and then the multitude of the abuse is thrust into our view. Then in an attempt to assuage guilt for having let this situation exist for so long, society then takes the most destructive approach to the few instances it has unwillingly acknowledged as if that wipes everyone's hands clean of the culpability.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to pretend that I can comprehend what Zoe went through before she made this public, what Alec went through and now what Zoe and Alec's family are going through after this most tragic of updates. All I can do is give my condolences to all involved. It's a terrible situation that leaves many people scarred for life. I'm particularly upset for Zoe, considering what she has already been through. I can't bring myself to read about this situation beyond this site however, considering the vile things people are alluding to that are being said about Zoe.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I actually feel like crying right now. There are so many post here that are basically we should silence victims because think about what affcet it will have on the abuser. Why does no one care about the affects on the victim of being shut up or the abuse they receive or the very abuse thta made them victims in the first place? This is just so shitty.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
I never thought I'd see people against the #metoo movement, but here we are.
I'm absolutely not against it, if anything, I want better for the victims because going this route is not helping anyone. Has this situation helped Zoe? Absolutely not, this is the worst way it could have gone. Stop trying to misconstrude my words.

Nov 11, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): inappropriate speculation on mental health in a sensitive thread
Acting like posts in this thread drove Alec to suicide is a woeful misrepresentation of what happened.

This could have very well happened you nor
I have the answers to this.

I hope the victims his family and friends can all get through this tough situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.