• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those that are saying that the replies blaming Zoe Quinn are an isolated incident by random commenters, check the quote tweets of the original announcement. (and do not signal boost them here)

Many "Cancel culture is a mistake" tweets with tons of retweets.

A victim calling out their abuser is not necessarily the same as "cancel culture." You can say that one is a mistake while supporting the other unless you think hate mobs are an inevitable and unavoidable result of calling out abuse.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
There you go again assuming that I'm saying Zoe Quinn (the accuser and alleged victim here) should have done anything else. I'm not. This isn't on her for calling out her abuser. I'm talking about the hate mob on Twitter and elsewhere that forms in the hundreds, the thousands, or even the tens of thousands to turn on the accused and use their collective resources and power to do whatever they can to make that person's life hard. It's mob justice.

what is this "hate mob," exactly? Zoe Quinn made her allegations publicly, and this was newsworthy and widely reported on. Scott Benson and Bethany Hockenberry weighed their options and decided to publicly cut all ties with Holowka, which was also newsworthy and widely reported. Is your argument that Benson and Hockenberry did the wrong thing by cutting ties with Holowka, or that some of the people reacting to/reporting on Holowka did so in an uncivil manner, or what?

I did NOT say that victims should "keep their mouths shut out of concern for the well-being of their abusers".

Keeping your mouth shut is NOT equivalent to stating your point differently!
Why are you lying? I literally did not say what you stated.
Talk about what I stated, or don't bother.

well, then please elaborate on who exactly did the wrong thing here and what exactly you think they should have done differently, because I'm not seeing the mischaracterization just yet

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's because it was probably a major factor. There is no excuse for what this man did to people and the suffering he inflicted on them, and he deserved an appropriatelevel of retribution which it seems he had largely avoided. The fact remains that you have someone with a history of mental illness seeing a torch taken to their reputation, career, relationships both personal and professional, and thousands of strangers hurling invective (justified or otherwise) at them, all in a rather short period of time. I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

Again, I'm not so sure there were many people encouraging self harm or suicide. There are some gross posts in this thread celebrating it, so I'm sure there were individuals - But to pin blame on the public internet reaction to news of someone being outed as an abuser seems like a path toward pinning the blame on the person who outed the abuser.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
What a sad, horrible mess, front to back. By his sister's account, he was also an abuse victim with mental health struggles. Just goes to show what a wretched, cyclical mess abuse is, and how it can poison and destroy multiple lives.

I'm sure the Internet will handle this in a measured, responsible fashion with empathy for all parties.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
That's not what I said. Please do not put words in my mouth. You don't need to make up a quote. My words are right there. If you have an issue with what I said feel free to point it out instead of making stuff up. I literally said this is not the accusers fault.

This happens way, way too much here and it's not cool at all.

Happened to me just the other day and I was like fuck that I'm not even gonna engage in the thread anymore thanks to it.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
This is just... So sad.

My heart is aching for so many people involved in this situation.

I can't even put it into words.

Its just a dull ache.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please break down what the hell you mean, because it just sounds like you're victim blaming and then saying "I'm not victim blaming though".
The victims are not a part of the mob.

I don't believe they meant that abuse survivors shouldn't come forward online. I think they just meant that people should react in a less... aggressive manner to their allegations. (Certainly supportively towards the survivor but maybe cool the attitude towards the accused. It honestly doesn't help anyone, no matter how justified you may feel it is.)
this guy gets it

Again, nowhere in my post did I say this was the victims fault. I actually said the opposite. Making assumptions about what I "actually mean" and putting words in my mouth doesn't change that.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I'm starting to be fucking done with this forum. The way that some people are speaking about that kid is the same way people spoke about Etika hours before the police found his body. I constantly see people acting like they're comprehensive and emphatic with mental issues, but whenever something happens for real they're the first to post smug responses like "it's the coward's way out" or "he shouldn't have acted this way in the first place". Seriously, what the fuck? Have you ever had contact with someone with a mental disability? Have you even fucking bothered to read his sister's explanation?

Some of you are absolutely disgusting. Get off your fucking high horse, a person with mental issues just commited suicide and you're acting like he was a nazi. He did a terrible thing and there's nothing we can do about it, but acting like his death is a relief? Come the fuck on. I bet you all that if Zoe Quinn read some of the stuff in here, she would be nautious by the awful mentality of some. I hope the mods do something about it, I don't really care if I get banned myself for being this violent.
Many ppl never head a real life contact with mental illnes and are very ignorant and clueless about it, and that's a fact!

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
what is this "hate mob," exactly? Zoe Quinn made her allegations publicly, and this was newsworthy and widely reported on. Scott Benson and Bethany Hockenberry weighed their options and decided to publicly cut all ties with Holowka, which was also newsworthy and widely reported. Is your argument that Benson and Hockenberry did the wrong thing by cutting ties with Holowka, or that some of the people reacting to/reporting on Holowka did so in an uncivil manner, or what?
I believe Holowka's DMs were open for a bit. I can't begin to imagine the rush of DMs saying "kill urself rapist" that he likely got.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. What do cancel culture advocates want the cancelled to do?

Rewind time and not do it, I suppose.

This whole things is a rough read.
That's because it was probably a major factor. There is no excuse for what this man did to people and the suffering he inflicted on them, and he deserved an appropriate level of retribution which it seems he had largely avoided. The fact remains that you have someone with a history of mental illness seeing a torch taken to their reputation, career, relationships both personal and professional, and thousands of strangers hurling invective (justified or otherwise) at them, all in a rather short period of time. I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

This. I'm surprised there aren't more people taking their own lives over things like this, regardless of the horrible things they might have done.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
what is this "hate mob," exactly? Zoe Quinn made her allegations publicly, and this was newsworthy and widely reported on. Scott Benson and Bethany Hockenberry weight their options and decided to publicly cut all ties with Holowka, which was also newsworthy and widely reported. Is your argument that Benson and Hockenberry did the wrong thing by cutting ties with Holowka, or that some of the people reacting to/reporting on Holowka did so in an uncivil manner, or what?
Yeah, I don't get why people are now going this was cause by "internet cancel culture", there's no evidence he was receiving mointains of abuse, he locked off twitter as soon as the incident happened, and given the way the gaming community actually is, it's far more likely that Zoe Quinn receiverd much much more abuse.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
It can both be true that Quinn didn't do anything wrong and accusers can and do have every right to come forward, and that social media is a fucking dumpster fire filled with people who lack the maturity, intelligence, education, empathy, or life perspective to talk about anything that is complicated or tangled or messy or ugly. The internet-at-large still has zero idea how to deal with abuse, comforting the abused, dealing with abusers, mental illness, etc.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I'm starting to be fucking done with this forum. The way that some people are speaking about that kid is the same way people spoke about Etika hours before the police found his body. I constantly see people acting like they're comprehensive and emphatic with mental issues, but whenever something happens for real they're the first to post smug responses like "it's the coward's way out" or "he shouldn't have acted this way in the first place". Seriously, what the fuck? Have you ever had contact with someone with a mental disability? Have you even fucking bothered to read his sister's explanation?

Some of you are absolutely disgusting. Get off your fucking high horse, a person with mental issues just commited suicide and you're acting like he was a nazi. He did a terrible thing and there's nothing we can do about it, but acting like his death is a relief? Come the fuck on. I bet you all that if Zoe Quinn read some of the stuff in here, she would be nautious by the awful mentality of some. I hope the mods do something about it, I don't really care if I get banned myself for being this violent.

It's a problem with cancel culture all the way around. People read a public accusation and practically trip over themselves with excitement to bring down the accused. These are statements made on social media, they're not sworn statements in a court of law. I'm not saying Quinn or anyone specific is lying, that's not the point. The point is people hear one side of a story and go into a feeding frenzy to ruin a career. We seem to worry less about showing empathy and support for the accuser and more about lashing out with sanctimonious wrath against the accused.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh with the way the altright spins things he probably got a lot of support from them.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be other ways of going about these horrible situations other than trial by social media and the internet. It's not right, for any individual involved in the situation.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Cant wait for the faux saint shitheads to pretend he didnt do any of this and use his death to absolve him just like they do everytime a shithead polititian bites it.

No sympathy for abusers.

Whether he did or didn't doesn't change the fact that he suffered from depression and that it caused him to commit suicide.
He hasn't killed himself simply because he's been outed as an abuser. Show some fucking empathy for people with mental illness. It's likely that a lot of his past behaviour was down to his mental issues. Being able to explain why he did what he did (both the abuse and the suicide) doesn't absolve him but it at least gives decent people an opening to feel a bit of empathy and recognise this situation for what it is - shit for all concerned. You not being able to wait to jump on here and attack imaginary people who may or may not be trying to absolve him on twitter tells me everything I need to know about you. And you're no better than the people you're so quick to jump on here and criticise.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
is this going to be a trend? 3 people have died this year due to social media pressure and apathy towards mental health issues.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The victims are not a part of the mob.

this guy gets it

Again, nowhere in my post did I say this was the victims fault. I actually said the opposite. Making assumptions about what I "actually mean" and putting words in my mouth doesn't change that.

Making assumptions about what you actually mean is natural when you're super vague about what an "internet hate mob" is. Like, you're just blaming "cancel culture".

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a long history of Holowka's acts of abuse that needed to be known and understood, but the ensuing reaction from the social media crowd wasn't the most productive one. Did Benson and Hockenberry talk to him?

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
User banned (1 week): disingenuous commentary and concern trolling surrounding sexual assault
Christ, that's shitty. Glad he's being put on full blast, and I hope he gets what's coming.
just awful. good for her that she could finally share her story, that takes a lot of courage. hope he gets what he deserves.
another creator I had respect for turning out to be a monster...
what the, he is a monster
Everyone's a monster my friends.
While I'm not sure I regret buying Night in the Woods while being unaware, I wouldn't have bought it had I learned of this beforehand.

What a fucking awful man this Alec Holowka. That part about
jamming his fingers inside her and "walking her around the house by them"
is downright repugnant.

Was he a lead writer on NitW? Because it's extra sickening that someone would use his understanding of mental issues and depression for predatory purposes, which seems like what he was doing there.

These are just in the first 20 posts here. Let's not act like people weren't saying horrible things about this guy as soon as this broke.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the very least, start protesting in public places and set up unions!
That's not an alternative for her speaking up about her abuse. Victims deserve to be heard. Plus Zoe Quinn already supports those things in the industry. She should be able to speak about her abuse publically, the problem is our society's inability to deal with this subject in a manner that is anything other than destructive.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tbh with the way the altright spins things he probably got a lot of support from them.
And how do you know he wanted their support or even accepted it?
He did deserve it, he did this because he was caught. I can't feel bad for him at all.
giphy.gif

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I legitimately hate the gaming community and this is one of the reasons I've always been ashamed to associate myself with it:

A man who had the chance to better himself died and all many people can think of is ways to punish the woman whose life he negatively affected. Era is one of the few more progressive bastions of gamers on the internet, but everywhere else I look I see shit like this.

Guys, when you see something like this, don't spread it, don't engage with it, just report it.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Every time someone calls this a "progressive" forum, a "bastion", I will point them to how flippantly and recklessly mental illness is discussed.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are just in the first 20 posts here. Let's not act like people weren't saying horrible things about this guy as soon as this broke.

He didn't deserve death.
He did deserve being cut off from positions of power and employment opportunity in the industry he was an abuser.

Literally no one in those posts was wishing for death as the outcome.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His death does not make his acts less monstrous.
I never said that his death changes anything about what he did. What he did was terrible but by using words such as "monster" we're denying the simple fact that most people are, in theory, capable of doing terrible things and that it is, in fact, quite human to do terrible things. If you're calling others monsters, you're basically robbing yourself of the chance to self-reflect on the human condition and the bad impulses we all carry within us. You're also pre-destined to end up as one of those people on the news who say "oh, I never saw it coming, they always seemed so nice". And last but not least, you're robbing offenders of the chance to see the errors of their ways and change for the better. If they're flawed humans who did terrible things, maybe they can change. If they're monsters, there's little hope for them. This kind of attitude simply isn't helpful.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Many ppl never head a real life contact with mental illnes and are very ignorant and clueless about it, and that's a fact!
Right? I recall how back when the Etika thing happened, he published that horrible, horrible video of him saying his last goodbye, and tons of people were assuming this was just another stunt, and even some were asking for a boycott and to "stop giving people like him a platform". It's not even a matter of having contact with people with mental illnesses anymore, it's a matter of human decency and purely understanding how people work. This is terrible news and anyone who's happy about his death is as terrible as the people they hate on a daily basis.
It's a problem with cancel culture all the way around. People read a public accusation and practically trip over themselves with excitement to bring down the accused. These are statements made on social media, they're not sworn statements in a court of law. I'm not saying Quinn or anyone specific is lying, that's not the point. The point is people hear one side of a story and go into a feeding frenzy to ruin a career. We seem to worry less about showing empathy and support for the accuser and more about lashing out with sanctimonious wrath against the accused.
Yeah, I've noticed that. Gladly I cut ties with all social media years ago (the only thing I have right now is ResetEra, actually) because of how disgusting some people can be. I don't even need to hear the other side of the story, I don't really have a reason to believe that Quinn is lying at all, but man, the amount of insults and death threats Holowka must've gotten in these last few days must have been terrifying. Everyone should be properly punished for what they've done wrong, but cancel culture is a cancer that has to be taken care of.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Why do these kind of things always have to result in public shaming all the time? What does an audience actually add to situations like this? As we see it adds absolutely jack shit if not worse, a friggin death. What the hell

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts go to Zoe and all his other victims, who will have even more difficulty to go on with their lives now.

I am also very tired with another story of an abuser whose crimes are minimized because "he was abused as well" and "he was depressed".
Many, many people have been abused, suffer from depression, or both, and do not become abusers themselves. Abuse or depression do not minimize or absolve anyone for any crime, and it doesn't make it easier for his victims to recover from what he did to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.