• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to sound insensitive, but this will cause an enormous backlash against the #metoo in video games. Especially targeted towards Quinn.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
There's no winners here. Guy who was abused commits abuse, tries to rehab but can't get over his demons. The past few days probably tipped him over the edge. What a shitty situation.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh geeze. Everyone deserves a chance to become a better person. Even if it might not be possible for him to make amends to those he harmed due to the extent of what he did, it still would have been better if he were able to get the help and self-improvement he needed. It's a shame he didn't allow himself that chance.

EDITED for clarification

Last edited:

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I'm just sad. I'm terribly sad. And I think that's about all I need to feel right now. Fucking sad.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Going by the NitW backer update that went out tonight, he was in fact "working on himself" after these issues last surfaced during development of that title.

For those who backed the project, the update is (I thought) a worthwhile read.

Sad. Thank you for sharing this piece of information.
Based on the tweet by his sister, in mourning, this was a serious chronic depression. The anger issues were likely due to depression... or medicine.
In hindsight, it makes sense, with the remarks about the tone of the voice when saying "hello" or "hmm".

I am sorry. I should not have posted in this thread or looked for pseudo-evidence.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
That is so sad. He shouldn't have done the things he did, certainly, but it also shouldn't have come to this. Horrible situation all around.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): inflammatory community generalizations, prior bans for inflammatory behaviour
Oh geeze. Everyone deserves a chance to become a better person. Even if it might not be possible for him to make amends to those he harmed due to the extent of what he did, it still would have been better if he were able to get the help and self-improvement he needed.

Not according to this forum they don't.

You're either pure or you're fucked

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This why internet hate mobs don't work

The accusers are not at fault here. This is just a shitty situation all around. I never know how to feel about this stuff.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Just... wow. Very sad situation all around, I hope Zoe Quinn doesn't feel guilty for sharing her story.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to sound insensitive, but this will cause an enormous backlash against the #metoo in video games. Especially targeted towards Quinn.

True, but more education is the answer, not more anger.
If they don't want to listen, ignore them.

I can already see some people (not you) misinterpreting people's comments in this thread.
Oh geeze. Everyone deserves a chance to become a better person. Even if it might not be possible for him to make amends to those he harmed due to the extent of what he did, it still would have been better if he were able to get the help and self-improvement he needed.

Very much this.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
This why internet hate mobs don't work

I'm assuming we're about to see a lot for this and: this is such an incredibly insensitive, practically cruel framing of this situation. There was no "hate mob" here, there was just people coming forth about abuse. Nobody was calling for his death. I don't think anyone was even going at him- he locked his account immediately.

This whole situation fucking sucks but his accusers are not to blame for any of it.The hate mob that exists is the people who are rabidly attacking Zoe and the other accusers.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Jesus christ. What a horrific ending. And just when I thought that the studio response was going to be a positive conclusion to this story.

Condolences to his family.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not according to this forum they don't.

You're either pure or you're fucked
The rest of the responses in this thread right now kinda say the opposite.

Everyone cutting ties and expressing their disdain for Alec's behaviour is at least an understandable, if not appropriate reaction for what he did, especially given he's a semi-public figure. But he at least deserved the chance to improve and maybe attempt to redeem himself later on down the road once he is better. It's a shame his mental illness and the chaos of the information coming out got to him before that.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming we're about to see a lot for this and: this is such an incredibly insensitive, practically cruel framing of this situation. There was no "hate mob" here, there was just people coming forth about abuse. Nobody was calling for his death. I don't think anyone was even going at him- he locked his account immediately.

This whole situation fucking sucks but his accusers are not to blame for any of it.The hate mob that exists is the people who are rabidly attacking Zoe and the other accusers.
I edited my post to clarify that I am not blaming the accusers at all.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

He deserved a chance, yes, after some time had passed and if the people he wronged chose to forgive him. You can't seriously claim that he was denied that chance when he was only outed as an abuser for the first time less than a week ago.

whether you realize it or not, this is tantamount to saying that those who came forward should have kept their mouths shut and left it to whisper networks

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
It should be a wake up call to a lot of people that no one is all good or all bad, and that people are capable of changing and growing. But who am I kidding, people will still act like idiots on social media and think they know everything about everyone and pretend they're the arbiters of what's right and wrong.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He deserved a chance, yes, after some time had passed and if the people he wronged chose to forgive him. You can't seriously claim that he was denied that chance when he was only outed as an abuser for the first time less than a week ago.

whether you realize it or not, this is tantamount to saying that those who came forward should have kept their mouths shut and left it to whisper networks
Apologies for the misunderstanding. I'm not saying others denied him the chance. I'm saying he denied himself the chance.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The rest of the responses in this thread right now kinda say the opposite.

Everyone cutting ties and expressing their disdain for Alec's behaviour is at least an understandable, if not appropriate reaction for what he did, especially given he's a semi-public figure. But he at least deserved the chance to improve and maybe attempt to redeem himself later on down the road once he is better. It's a shame his mental illness and the chaos of the information coming out got to him before that.

That's cuz he's dead.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think this is going to change any minds on #metoo on either side of the discussion. But I do think that mental health is going to become a much bigger topic in the gaming industry going forward.

I believe the focus right now should be in supporting everyone who was affected by these events rather than attacking anyone. This should be a time for healing.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

I am pretty sure OniLinkPlus was just saying that situation happening would have been better than his death, not a better alternative to the accusations happening to begin with.

EDIT: ah, yeah, they just said as much

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Sad. Thank you for sharing this piece of information.
Based on the tweet by his sister, in mourning, this was a serious chronic depression. The anger issues were likely due to depression... or medicine.
In hindsight, it makes sense, with the remarks about the tone of the voice when saying "hello" or "hmm".

I am sorry. I should not have posted in this thread or looked for pseudo-evidence.
I don't know that it was public information before the backer post went live, FWIW.

The whole situation is rough. I feel for Zoe and the others who suffered from Holowka's actions, for Holowka's family and for Scott and Bethany on the NitW team, and for Holowka himself. His depression doesn't excuse his behavior, but does help explain it. I don't think anyone wanted this outcome.

Coming off last night's post, I hope that Scott + Bethany get whatever support they need to get through this. Scott was already taking it pretty hard from what he said in that backer post.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horrendous situation for everybody involved. There are no winners with this. Brutal for him, his family, Zoe Quinn, the NiTW devs. Really tragic cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.