• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
A report into Alec Baldwin's fatal shooting of Halyna Hutchins on the set of Rust has found management "knew that firearm safety procedures were not being followed".

New Mexico workplace safety regulators have issued the maximum fine against the film production company.
They said it "demonstrated plain indifference to employee safety" and imposed a $139,793 (£107,019) penalty.
"Our investigation found that this tragic incident never would have happened if Rust Movie Productions, LLC had followed national film industry standards for firearm safety," said Environment Cabinet Secretary James Kenney.

"This is a complete failure of the employer to follow recognized national protocols that keep employees safe."

news.sky.com

Alec Baldwin Rust shooting: Halyna Hutchins' death caused by 'complete failure' to follow gun safety rules

State authorities issue a "willful-serious" citation as they say established rules weren't followed on set and that Ms Hutchins' death could have been avoided.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I applaud the maximum fine judgement, but $140k? That's it? That's the price of a life + the trauma for everyone involved + halting of their careers?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't appear to be the outcome of the trial, this is an independent investigation that carries its own fine.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Dude this would traumatize me for life. Like I can't imagine shooting a real gun let alone pointing and shooting what you thought was unloaded to then kill a person who likely you know and everywhere there knew.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
If that is the maximum fine then there is little incentive to take better precautions

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
People having a hard time understanding what this fine means.
This is just one part of it, like having a speeding ticket for plowing into a crowd of people before any trial starting.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
People having a hard time understanding what this fine means.
This is just one part of it, like having a speeding ticket for plowing into a crowd of people before any trial starting.
Right, this is just one arm of the state bureaucracy doing the maximum they are empowered to by law. This has nothing to do with criminal charges, civil trials, or even what other agencies could potentially enforce.

Saying "is that all, they should have done more", is literally nonsensical here.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure these findings will be used when criminal negligence trials or even stronger charges are brought against the people responsible.

This sounds pretty conclusive.

OP
OP
DinkyDev

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
Long in the spotlight for Alec Baldwin's fatal shooting of Rust cinematographer Halyna Hutchins last October, the film's armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed is now declaring a degree of vindication after a vital safety report's release today.
"After OSHA's very comprehensive safety investigation involving numerous interviews and review of documents, it has concluded that production willfully failed to follow national gun safety standards, which caused this tragedy," said Reed's lawyer Jason Bowles to Deadline this morning. "OSHA found that Hannah Gutierrez Reed was not provided adequate time or resources to conduct her job effectively, despite her voiced concerns," the Albuquerque, New Mexico-based attorney noted.

deadline.com

‘Rust’ Armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed Claims Exoneration After OSHA Report On Fatal Film Shooting Puts Safety Violations Blame On Producers & Supervisors

Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed is declaring a degree of vindication after a vital safety report's release Wednesday.

JTDailyUpdate

Nov 1, 2017

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
This investigation will be used in the actual court proceedings so it only spells bad news for all the management involved when that gets underway.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Is Baldwin part of "management"?

The report has the structure of the on-set management.

Alec Baldwin, Actor and Producer, and Joel Souza, Director, negotiated with various producers to help create and fund the Rust project. Alec Baldwin's authority on the set included approving script changes and actor candidates.

Other names are listed as handling day-to-day functions and decisions.

Arbitrary number? No even numbers.

It's the maximum penalty allowed by law. It was originally set on a round number, but yearly adjustments have been made since then.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Baldwin might have to pay as a general one of the producers but I've still yet see specific evidence that he is directly at fault for this.

A lot of people don't realize how different a producer role can be from another producer role

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
If what the set Armour is saying is true, surely this should fall in criminal territory if everybody in production including Baldwin knew to never point a gun at anybody and were ignoring safety standards of guns on set.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Alec Baldwin Says Government Report 'Exonerates' Him in Deadly New Mexico Film Set Shooting

Actor Alec Baldwin claims that an occupational safety report released Wednesday by New Mexico authorities "exonerates" him from wrongdoing in a deadly shooting on the set of the film "Rust."
"We are grateful to the New Mexico Occupational Health and Safety Bureau [OHSB] for investigating this matter," reads a statement Baldwin posted on Instagram. "We appreciate that the report exonerates Mr. Baldwin by making clear that he believed the gun held only dummy rounds."
"Additionally, the report recognized that Mr. Baldwin's authority on the production was limited to approving script changes and creative casting," the statement continued. "Mr. Baldwin had no authority over the matters that were the subject of the Bureau's findings of violations, and we are pleased that the New Mexico officials have clarified these critical issues. We are confident that the individuals in the report will be held accountable for this tragedy."
the state's report was highly critical of "Rust" management but was largely sympathetic to armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed. The latter was under contract to provide only eight days of armorer duties on the production, state investigators determined; the rest of her time was said by the state to have been earmarked for general prop duties.
lawandcrime.com

Alec Baldwin Says Government Report 'Exonerates' Him in Deadly New Mexico Film Set Shooting

Actor Alec Baldwin claims that an occupational safety report “exonerates” him from wrongdoing in a deadly shooting on the set of the film “Rust.”

Kastanjemanden

alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2022
Don't think we needed a government report to exonerate him when it was already clear he didn't do anything wrong but hey at least we got something

OP
OP
DinkyDev

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
The footage from Alec Baldwin's interview with the police after the shooting has been released.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me, the armorer's role in all this sounds more and more dubious.

ca.yahoo.com

'I'm sorry, I'm sorry I'm sorry.' Documents reveal new details about 'Rust' shooting

The documents include a 204-page case report summarizing the investigation, which remains open and ongoing.

While working as an armorer on "The Old Way," a Nicolas Cage western shot in Montana, Gutierrez Reed sent Kenney a text message on Aug. 15 in which she asked the weapons provider if she could "shoot hot rounds out of the trap door," the report stated.

"Wtf is a hot round?" Kenney asked in response, to which Gutierrez Reed replied, "Like a pretty big load of actual ammunition," according to the report.

The report states that Kenney "tells her never to shoot live ammo out of tv/movie guns, and to only use blanks" and follows up by saying, "It's a serious mistake, always ends in tears."

"Good to know, I'm still gonna shoot mine tho," Gutierrez Reed responded, according to the report.

It sounds very likely to me that she had live ammo that she had used for "shooting for fun" on a previous film starring Nic Cage.

It doesn't seem like a stretch to think she mixed up ammo and then brought live ammo from the previous shoot onto the Rust set, and then loaded the prop gun for Baldwin with said live ammo without properly checking it.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ca.yahoo.com

'I'm sorry, I'm sorry I'm sorry.' Documents reveal new details about 'Rust' shooting

The documents include a 204-page case report summarizing the investigation, which remains open and ongoing.

While working as an armorer on "The Old Way," a Nicolas Cage western shot in Montana, Gutierrez Reed sent Kenney a text message on Aug. 15 in which she asked the weapons provider if she could "shoot hot rounds out of the trap door," the report stated.

"Wtf is a hot round?" Kenney asked in response, to which Gutierrez Reed replied, "Like a pretty big load of actual ammunition," according to the report.

The report states that Kenney "tells her never to shoot live ammo out of tv/movie guns, and to only use blanks" and follows up by saying, "It's a serious mistake, always ends in tears."

"Good to know, I'm still gonna shoot mine tho," Gutierrez Reed responded, according to the report.

It sounds very likely to me that she had live ammo that she had used for "shooting for fun" on a previous film starring Nic Cage.

It doesn't seem like a stretch to think she mixed up ammo and then brought live ammo from the previous shoot onto the Rust set, and then loaded the prop gun for Baldwin with said live ammo without properly checking it.

I felt my stomach twist and turn reading that. How can one be so fucking damn irresponsible?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I felt my stomach twist and turn reading that. How can one be so fucking damn irresponsible?

Things are becoming a lot more clear now that those details are out and yeah it is gut wrenching. She can take her "someone sabotaged the guns!" theory and shove it ... it seems very likely SHE is the cause of live ammo on the set, and on top of that she also didn't properly check the ammo when loading it.

These are the same guns from the Nic Cage shoot too ... so likely the ammo/"blanks" were also the same, she fucked up big time.

She was reckless and stupid in wanting to shoot real ammo for fun on a movie shoot, was dumb enough to mix in that live ("hot") ammo with what should have been blanks only and now someone is dead because of it.

Oct 27, 2017

ca.yahoo.com

This was clear as day as soon as any details started emerging honestly. She's fucking irresponsible and dangerous, and even if other people were at fault for creating an an unsafe set, it was her responsibility to ensure that any and all firearms were safely handled, stored, and keeping fucking live ammo off set.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was clear as day as soon as any details started emerging honestly. She's fucking irresponsible and dangerous, and even if other people were at fault for creating an an unsafe set, it was her responsibility to ensure that any and all firearms were safely handled, stored, and keeping fucking live ammo off set.

Yup she keeps hiding behind the "well the set was dangerous and stressful" ... but there never should have been live ammo on set and if there wasn't, I don't care how unsafe other things were, the central and core reason someone died is because the armorer decided she wanted to bring live ammo onto set for recreational fun and then was dumb enough to mix up live and dummy rounds.

Even on a "safe set" where everything is just peachy and there's a huge budget, if you have one idiot decide to bring live ammo onto set to have some fun shooting guns ... the chances of a terrible mix up happening skyrocket.

Oct 27, 2017
If what the set Armour is saying is true, surely this should fall in criminal territory if everybody in production including Baldwin knew to never point a gun at anybody and were ignoring safety standards of guns on set.
She's fucking full of shit, and has done nothing but try to shift responsibility and create batshit conspiracy theories to avoid any and all scrutiny for her failure in her role that she deserves.

Pointing a gun at the camera is not an uncommon thing; when your armorer is a dipshit who loses track of the guns, and has somehow overlooked live ammo being shot through the prop guns on set by other dumbfuck crew, then you have a problem where someone needlessly died. But these kind of things are safely practiced on hundreds of movies sets regularly, and those kind of shots are safely completed often.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can even see in the rehearsal footage released that Baldwin isn't recklessly waving the gun around or pointing it at people for shits and giggles, he's doing what the scene calls for and if that's the shot the DP/director wanted, it doesn't look like he'd be able to point any other way. On top of that he's said he was only point the gun where the DP/director were instructing him to in order to get the shot according to his version of events which the 1st AD, script supervisor, director any anyone else should be able to confirm.

The armorer is full of shit, she likely brought live ammo onto set after forgetting about it from a previous shoot, she then didn't check the rounds properly before loading the weapon. She is the one at fault.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

ca.yahoo.com

What a fucking horrible human being jesus