• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
alcohol does a lot of damage in the long run because it's ubiquitous and ingrained in a lot of Western cultures, it's bad yes but but only because it's normalized by most people living in those societies.

but I think a lot of people are fooling themselves thinking that they free of vices just because they avoid alcohol, I'm even more worried about the common usage of much harder drugs like ketamine among my generation (zoomers).

there's an obvious reason that more artists are dying from overdoses these days more than ever, and the fact we have an opioid crisis but not an alcohol crisis like the early 20th century.
It's not really about not having vices. It's about the stigmatization that recreational drugs get despite the fact that alcohol is worse than just about all of them

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Yes yes alcohol is bad. I enjoy drinking way too much. I don't really see the appeal in getting wasted these days because damn do you pay the next day, but I definitely drink more often than I should and like getting a buzz.

Waste of money and bad for my body. But urghhh I don't think I'm going to just straight up stop any time soon.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Glad my whole family is off alcohol. My dad and bother used to drink, but thankfully my mom talked my dad out of it(Or argued more or less), and my brother got in trouble with friends many years ago which got him off it.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Damn that's wild, you've never been to a bar or gone to parties or anything and saw people having fun? Assuming you're at least 25 I don't know how it's possible to make it that far in life not witnessing people having drinks and having fun, making new friends and stuff
Alcohol is not a necessary component to having fun or making friends.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
if anybody ever wants to talk about giving up alcohol/beer, I'm around in this thread or DMs. there's not as many of us who don't drink, and it can be tricky in so many ways, but there's no shame in giving it a shot if you are interested or curious. after spending most of my 20s as a music critic, and thinking it was normal/required to drink while out at concerts on a regular basis, I quit about five years ago. I don't miss it. my health is way better. but the transition was really socially awkward at first—not for me, to clarify, as I found myself instantly and surprisingly comfortable without booze. it was other people who had an issue with my choice not to drink, in spite of my willingness to meet and spend time at bars. I even lost some friends, though I've come to realize I am better off without ppl that fickle as part of my friend group.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I don't drink for a variety of reasons, a main one being the taste, so this only helps to reinforce my decisions.

Now sugar and caffeine.. if those drugs of choice cause cancer...WELP. lol

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Alcohol is not a necessary component to having fun or making friends.
Well hold on now, who is arguing that it is?

You could, theoretically live an entire life devoid of hobbies. Hobbies are not a necessary component to survival. Hobbies are a recreational activity. Drinking alcohol is a recreational activity. I just find it wild that someone could live, taking the average age of users here into consideration let's say 28 years, and not witness a single instance of alcohol serving to help facilitate fun or enjoyment or happiness.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Quit alcohol this year and don't see myself going back. Too expensive and most liquor gives me bad stomach pain. Only alcohol I like to drink is draft beer at bars, but none are nearby me anyways.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't drink for a variety of reasons, a main one being the taste, so this only helps to reinforce my decisions.

From what I remember caffeine actually has some health benefits. However there may be a link between roasted coffee beans and cancer if I remember correctly, so maybe a double-edged sword if coffee in particular is your vice.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
Well hold on now, who is arguing that it is?

You could, theoretically live an entire life devoid of hobbies. Hobbies are not a necessary component to survival. Hobbies are a recreational activity. Drinking alcohol is a recreational activity. I just find it wild that someone could live, taking the average age of users here into consideration let's say 28 years, and not witness a single instance of alcohol serving to help facilitate fun or enjoyment or happiness.
you'd be shocked how many people have very negative memories related to drinking and people drinking :)

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I've already quit smoking and eating meat due to health concerns.

I'm gonna also stop drinking, won't I?... sigh

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Young people developing liver disease is also on a big uptick. Drinking is trash. Literally nothing of value.
I don't think there is connection with alcohol here. At least here in Finland young people drink less than ever not to mention humans (and so younger persons too) have consumed alcohol since dawn of time so it would be weird if suddenly lead to big increase in that regard.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I often wonder if we will look back in a few decades and look at alcohol the way we do at tobacco now.
It seems obvious that it is unhealthy.

It's just so utterly entrenched in our social lives.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Been teetotal most of my life. Just dabble every other year and have a glass of cider when I feel like taking a risk. Aside from that though, mainly just drink water and occasionally lemonade or a coke when I'm out for a meal. Literally 99% of what I drink is filtered water.

The alcohol obsession in the UK is really, really bad. You're not "one of the guys" unless you drink shitloads.

Never smoked in my life either. Hate the smell.

Divorced Dad

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
I'm a recovering alcoholic myself. I've spent the last 25+ years drinking an ungodly amount prior to getting sober. We're talking 1.5L of vodka and 12 beers a day (still have no idea how I was able to accomplish so much drunk all the time).

Alcohol to me is terrible. It almost killed me and added very little to my life. However, as long as you are an alcoholic and not susceptible as I was to it, then by all means enjoy it. I still wish I could enjoy a cold beer after a hard days work or a bourbon when I 'm out at a social function.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Dang, I didn't even know alcohol caused cancer. I don't even drink much, but maybe should cut back even more. Guessing that includes stuff like "healthy" red wine or Champagne?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Dang, I didn't even know alcohol caused cancer. I don't even drink much, but maybe should cut back even more. Guessing that includes stuff like "healthy" red wine or Champagne?
I think the increasing consensus is that alcohol is unhealthy even in small quantities. And let's be honest who actually only has half a glass of wine with a meal?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018

Sugar intake beyond the recommended daily limit over time does increase risk of cancer for sure.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Wine or champagne being good in any way (drink a glass with your meal and everything is cool!) is a myth and lie. Even the smallest amount of alcohol is unhealthy and it doesn't matter which it is.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
News like this makes me glad I never really liked the taste of it. I haven't had anything with alcohol in it for probably 2 years now. Before that, at most one or two beers 2-3 times per year. Now to cut down on sugar...

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Here in the UK, I feel there would be a lot of pushback if they tried to limit alcohol consumption like with cigarettes.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there is connection with alcohol here. At least here in Finland young people drink less than ever not to mention humans (and so younger persons too) have consumed alcohol since dawn of time so it would be weird if suddenly lead to big increase in that regard.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...e-deaths-among-young-adults-fueled-by-alcohol

https://www.uwhealth.org/news/uw-health-seeing-trends-of-increased-liver-disease-in-young-adults

There are tons and tons of articles about this subject. Its only getting worse.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
From what I remember caffeine actually has some health benefits. However there may be a link between roasted coffee beans and cancer if I remember correctly, so maybe a double-edged sword if coffee in particular is your vice.
I just like the taste of coffee. It is more a dessert for me. I am not a daily drinker thankfully but.. I do love me some cola..
Sugar intake beyond the recommended daily limit over time does increase risk of cancer for sure.
My whole family is riddled with type 2 diabetes already so limiting my sugar intake would be the smart choice but..

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'm guessing this also extends to inhalation of fumes from alcohol-based cleaning stuff? At work everyday we use 70% IPA (isopropanol) for cleaning , so I can't imagine that'd be great because of the fumes.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
If 2e9 global consumers every year and 0.78e6 cases, this is 0.00005 cases for every drinker or about 50 for every 1 million drinkers. Seems genetics also plays a role in certain cancer types, as well as what type of alcohol is being consumed, i.e. tied to production process. It seems a low rate, but adds between 3-9% increased risk as compared to nondrinkers.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
i dont drink that often, maybe once or twice a month, dont think its gonna be that much of a negative effect on me imo.
It won't. There are people that don't drink and get cancer all the time. Eating red meat gives you cancer, read the China Study.

My father in law doesn't drink at all and he had oral cancer; had to cut 30% of his tongue off. His dad never had a drink either and he died of pancreatic cancer. There are plenty of examples out there.

All my grandparents drink a little and no cancer. It's not a scientific explanation, but I don't think it will hurt you if you drink a little.

Oct 30, 2017
I was dangerously close to becoming a functional alcoholic last year and early this year. Realized that it was truly worsening my depression and have done my best to cut it out.

I drink maybe once every week or two and that's like a margarita if my wife and I go out to eat.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I just like the taste of coffee. It is more a dessert for me. I am not a daily drinker thankfully but.. I do love me some cola..

My whole family is riddled with type 2 diabetes already so limiting my sugar intake would be the smart choice but..
i feel ya. currently trying to switch from soda to tea.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"the proportion of cases deemed caused by alcohol was highest for cancers of the oesophagus, pharynx, and lip and oral cavity."

Wait, what's the implication for mouth wash then?

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
"the proportion of cases deemed caused by alcohol was highest for cancers of the oesophagus, pharynx, and lip and oral cavity."

Wait, what's the implication for mouth wash then?
I have no information on that one way or another, but luckily there are some decent alcohol-free mouthwashes out there regardless.