• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Given that it's a alternate version of a monster already in the game, I could see another 2-for update with Oroshi Kirin and another alternative version (probably Rusted Kushala).
That seems likely, especially with there being no other elder subspecies to break out without introducing a new-to-World monster like Fatalis or Lao. I'm actually shocked that after all this time there's been no subspecies for Teo and Luna in the mainline games, but considering how much every person on the planet hates Luna in particular, that may be for the best!

I do feel like we'll see Molten Tigrex sooner or later.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Kushala and Velkhana. Meh.
Would have preferred those insect monsters from the older games. World doesn't have any.

Feb 5, 2018
Honestly surprised that they haven't revealed Oroshi Kirin yet.

You would think it's a given in an expansion called "Iceborne"

Oroshi and Rusted are probably the next update after Alatreon. Considering they didnt use Gore, Rusted is the only other possible old variant left, and Oroshi was a leaked monster from 2 years ago like Alatreon. Both will likely be packed together on the account of being primarily Ice-based monsters.

Hopefully Rare species like Molten Tigrex/Lucent Narga also come back

Fatalis is probably the absolute final update.

If we are getting power creep with Alatreon and the variants, these are the only 5 monsters I see returning after.

I dunno. I could see them adding a new skeleton as the final new Iceborne monster based on stuff they're working on for the next game.
The issue is that they didn't really design a lot of the environments with those in mind, at least as far as the endgame progression has gone. That's why it was such a shock that Rajang was the first DLC monster, but given how limited his mobility options are (really, his only major environmental trigger is if you stagger him back into a wall, where he can go for the revenge charge), they went with by far the path of least resistance.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that they didn't really design a lot of the environments with those in mind, at least as far as the endgame progression has gone. That's why it was such a shock that Rajang was the first DLC monster, but given how limited his mobility options are (really, his only major environmental trigger is if you stagger him back into a wall, where he can go for the revenge charge), they went with by far the path of least resistance.
It's also clear that they didn't design certain gameplay mechanics with all monster skeletons in mind.

Hence, you can't even clutch/tenderize Rajang's head. They didn't think about the Ape skeleton when they implemented the Clutch Claw.

It's also clear that they didn't design certain gameplay mechanics with all monster skeletons in mind.

Hence, you can't even clutch/tenderize Rajang's head. They didn't think about the Ape skeleton when they implemented the Clutch Claw.
Yeah, that in-game "explanation" for why you couldn't grapple onto his head was... not convincing, to say the least.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
I want to get back into this but I have to ask if they kept the same seasonal strategy? If I missed and event or seasonal item I just have to wait for it to pop up again or did they move to "You had to be there" and I missed it forever. The former I'll be cool with but I don't think I could take the latter.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
I like Alatreon well enough but I would prefer they bring back stuff that hasn't been around forever, even if there's no way they put in new skeletons

Where's my fucking Gog :(

I want to get back into this but I have to ask if they kept the same seasonal strategy? If I missed and event or seasonal item I just have to wait for it to pop up again or did they move to "You had to be there" and I missed it forever. The former I'll be cool with but I don't think I could take the latter.
No, it's still on a pretty consistent rotation. If anything, events are more frequent now than they ever were in the base game.