• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
www.adn.com

Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski calls on President Trump to resign, questions her future as a Republican

“I want him out. He has caused enough damage,” Alaska’s senior senator said in an interview Friday from her office in the U.S. Capitol.
U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski said Friday that Donald Trump should resign the presidency immediately and that if the Republican Party cannot separate itself from Trump, she isn't certain she has a future with the party.

"I want him to resign. I want him out. He has caused enough damage," Murkowski, R-Alaska, said during an interview from her small Capitol office, steps away from the Senate chambers that were invaded by pro-Trump rioters on Wednesday.
U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski said Friday that Donald Trump should resign the presidency immediately and that if the Republican Party cannot separate itself from Trump, she isn't certain she has a future with the party.

"I want him to resign. I want him out. He has caused enough damage," Murkowski, R-Alaska, said during an interview from her small Capitol office, steps away from the Senate chambers that were invaded by pro-Trump rioters on Wednesday.
"I think he should leave. He said he's not going to show up. He's not going to appear at the at the inauguration. He hasn't been focused on what is going on with COVID. He's either been golfing or he's been inside the Oval Office fuming and throwing every single person who has been loyal and faithful to him under the bus, starting with the vice president. He doesn't want to stay there. He only wants to stay there for the title. He only wants to stay there for his ego. He needs to get out. He needs to do the good thing, but I don't think he's capable of doing a good thing," she said.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
She had the opportunity to vote in favor of removal last year and she did not, despite knowing that her vote wouldn't make a difference.
Empty words from a coward.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The old fence sitter finally getting off now that the leopards are loose. Not going to applaud her now, and fuck my state for continuing to vote her in.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Getting a 51st seat would be insane, but that's a long, long shot. She's proven that her words mean jack shit.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Give the Dem caucus their 51st vote, that's all I care about.

Nov 18, 2020
I guarantee you Romney is thinking the exact same thing. The dude was PISSED at what transpired and watching his party still defend Trump afterwards.

May 19, 2020
AP breaking: local woman watching man shit on the floor and start fires for 4 years is finally fed up with his behavior after he burns down the house

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Totally fine with have two Joe Manchins if the alternative is just one.

bishopp135

Oct 29, 2017

Basically she don't really go through the GOP primary to be elected. She can become a Manchin like senator without having to became a Democrat.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans in disarray, the media will have a hard time with this one... you love to see it in any case.

Murkowski as a Democrat or Dem-leaning independent would be interesting. Even if she was right there with Manchin or to his right a little bit, would be a strategic victory for Dems. She's probably just putting pressure on her party honestly but she won as a write-in and Alaska is a weird state, so who knows?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
kYgjAiM.gif

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
She'll go independent, not Democrat, and she'll overwhelmingly caucus with Republicans.

She'll be a worse Joe Liebermann or Manchin.

It's good to see the fracturing, but I've seen this song and dance before and every time the party simply rallies and goes back to tacitly endorsing and advancing the most extremist elements of their party for political expediency. You might get a couple moments like this, but the Republican Party was supposed to be dead in 2008.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Reposting my thoughts from the other thread:

World is a lot easier if WV and AK are going to have to underbid each other for who needs the least pork to sign off on any given bill. A few committee assignments for Murkowski seems like a small price to pay for that convenience.

Romney and her switching parties would be glorious but that will never happen. "I'm concerned".

Romney's a really different game from Murkowski. He's genuinely extremely conservative. Murkowski is more moderate, has a situation where her primary structure encourages going for Dem voters, and is extremely open to the sort of bribe-me-with-pork deals that Dems would be happy to give her. She also doesn't seem to have the personal animosity towards Dems (and Dems towards her) that Collins has. She's never been the target of the sort of raw liberal disdain that Collins has.

She'll go independent, not Democrat, and she'll overwhelmingly caucus with Republicans.

It's good to see the fracturing, but I've seen this song and dance before and every time the party simply rallies and goes back to tacitly endorsing and advancing the most extremist elements of their party for political expediency. You might get a couple moments like this, but the Republican Party was supposed to be dead in 2008.

Now that Dems have the majority locked, she actually has pretty strong incentive to caucus Dem in order to get committee chairmanships. She's run as an independent, caucus as Dem

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Wow, she's actually more than slightly concerned this time. That's progress.

I'm still fully expecting she'll fall in line like all the rest of them, but the fact she's willing to even go that far out on a limb instead of licking Trump's feet like everyone else shows just how far the GOP has fallen even in the last few years.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
They can go independent, caucus with Dems but vote their conservative conscious. Schumer can buy their votes with state-based projects when it's really important.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

Didn't she already do that? This would presumably be a step further.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Romney and her switching parties would be glorious but that will never happen. "I'm concerned".
I could totally see Murkowski switching. I don't think it'll happen but I think there's a possibility.

I cannot see the 2012 Republican presidential nominee switching no matter how mad he gets. I think he'd just retire.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
At most she will become an independent, still caucus with the Republicans, and pretend like nothing ever happened the next time the GOP gets to blaming the Democrats for something.

Nov 18, 2020
Romney will never leave the Republican party. He wants the Reagan/Bush GOP back. That isn't going to happen anytime soon, if ever, but he probably can't admit that to himself.

Reposting my thoughts from the other thread:

World is a lot easier if WV and AK are going to have to underbid each other for who needs the least pork to sign off on any given bill. A few committee assignments for Murkowski seems like a small price to pay for that convenience.

Romney's a really different game from Murkowski. He's genuinely extremely conservative. Murkowski is more moderate, has a situation where her primary structure encourages going for Dem voters, and is extremely open to the sort of bribe-me-with-pork deals that Dems would be happy to give her. She also doesn't seem to have the personal animosity towards Dems (and Dems towards her) that Collins has. She's never been the target of the sort of raw liberal disdain that Collins has.

Well I wouldn't say Romney is "EXTREMELY" conservative. For example, as governor of Massachusetts, he invested in renewable energy, supported a cap-and-trade initiative, imposed strict emissions standards, believes in human-caused climate change, proposed and signed into law near-universal health care coverage for Massachusetts, believes we should raise the minimum wage, approves large stimulus packages, approves strong safety nets for unemployed, etc.

Like I get that he's sided with the Republicans in a lot of legislation to preserve the majority. But he's not a dyed-in-the-wool conservative bastard who wants to fuck over poor people like Ted Cruz or Josh Hawley. He could be somewhat equivalent to Manchin.

Last edited:

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At most she will become an independent, still caucus with the Republicans, and pretend like nothing ever happened the next time the GOP gets to blaming the Democrats for something.
The incentive for her to switch is that she could be appointed the committee head of something with the dems and that she could strip off some pork for Alaska to get her vote.

But, yeah, seriously doubt it.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't she already do that? This would presumably be a step further.
Could Murkowski become an independent?
Asked whether she intends to remain a Republican, Murkowski said that depends on the party itself.
"Well, you know, there's a lot of people who actually thought that I did that in 2010, think that I became an independent. I didn't have any reason to leave my party in 2010. I was a Republican who ran a write-in campaign and I was successful. But I will tell you, if the Republican Party has become nothing more than the party of Trump, I sincerely question whether this is the party for me," she said.

No, she's still Republican

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Romney is stuck with the GOP because he is in Utah. Even if he entertained the idea of going Independent I think it would end his career as Utah is just too conservative

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Haha all of these Republicans and Conservative media getting ready to pivot back to how they were shitting on Trump pre-2016 election just makes me laugh.

Nah, you sold your souls, we've seen the contract. Too late to grow a moral compass when he is getting booted.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The incentive for her to switch is that she could be appointed the committee head of something with the dems and that she could strip off some pork for Alaska to get her vote.

But, yeah, seriously doubt it.
How would this even work though? Wouldn't a senior Democrat that has been a part of or caucusing with the party a lot longer have to be passed over for that to work?

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I see she did not mention if she'd vote for his removal. So, just empty words, like all the other holier than thou Republicans.

We shouldn't court those fools. If the past 4 years didn't make them leave the party or at least vocalize opposition to Trump, then these past few days don't change anything.
Focus on our base, do what they want so they turn out in the next elections, not cut deals with spineless idiots who will stab us in the back in a couple of weeks.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How would this even work though? Wouldn't a senior Democrat that has been a part of or caucusing with the party a lot longer have to be passed over for that to work?
It would, leadership might view it as worth it to have another fall-through Senator for votes and for the optics of the Republican party falling apart. And there are plenty of low-impact committees.

Nov 18, 2020
Romney is stuck with the GOP because he is in Utah. Even if he entertained the idea of going Independent I think it would end his career as Utah is just too conservative

Romney is also 73 years old and is considering retiring at the end of his term if he can get some legislation passed. That's more of an incentive to switch than someone young who has their whole political career ahead of them.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully she puts her money where her mouth is when it's her time to vote to remove Trump, unlike last time. Say what you want about Mitt, but it did take guts to be the only Republican to vote your party's president to be removed from office. You can't put a bigger target on your back than that.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Well I wouldn't say Romney is "EXTREMELY" conservative. For example, as governor of Massachusetts, he invested in renewable energy, supported a cap-and-trade initiative, imposed strict emissions standards, believes in human-caused climate change, proposed and signed into law near-universal health care coverage for Massachusetts, believes we should raise the minimum wage, approves large stimulus packages, approves strong safety nets for unemployed, etc.

Like I get that he's sided with the Republicans in a lot of legislation to preserve the majority. But he's not a dyed-in-the-wool conservative bastard that wants to fuck over poor people like Ted Cruz or Josh Hawley. He could be somewhat equivalent to Manchin.

Romney was governor of an extremely liberal state, and Romneycare was crafted to be a conservative response to liberal demands for government provision of healthcare. Hell, it was originally a Heritage Foondation proposal. It's only that it worked pretty well and liberals accepted it and ran on it that turned it to something anathema to conservatives. Plus, he doesn't have Massachusetts pulling him left anymore.

He's been a liberal ally on rule of law stuff in the Trump era, but on tax and spend stuff he's really conservative, and not really amenable to the sort of deal making that Murkowski is because he really is more ideological. I wouldn't really count on him for anything more than voting yes on appointment nominees out of courtesy.