• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I always save my games and quit them and will never trust quick resume. If by chance a game crashes like State of Decay 2 then you'll lose all the progress from when you last saved. I do the same thing on X currently. I believe Jeff from Giant Bomb brought this up too.
I think most people who suspend games, save them beforehand.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
So titles that are not supposed to work until they provide a firmware update are crashing? Why people would discuss such a thing is puzzling.

The reason why Gears is not working is because they are providing an actual update. MCC could be one of the games that will take advantage of the back compat magic. Some of the games they are not supporting with these previews is because they have bigger plans.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Weird that Halo and Gears doesn't fall back to hardware BC.

edit: How solidly is the Xbox hardware itself backwards compatible excluding emulation & patches?

Almost the entire Xbox One system for running games is virtualised. The software has no real idea of what hardware it's running on anyway.

So the Xbox One is already being "emulated" by the Xbox One OS.

So moving across to different hardware is relatively painless as the Series X runs in the same way. The QA system is to flag and correct for any games that have done anything weird.
Each game as it's own compatibility profile, so so specific tweaks and optimisations can be applied if needed.

Last edited:

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
OP gets called out by everyone including Verified media with access to the console, says sorry and will edit the OP, but just changes "BC incapabilities to BC problems."

🤔
Yeah, OP still seems very concerned about something instead of just posting the video and let people actually take in the video unbiased. Because if you watch the video and get "XBOX BC has problems and crashes" then I don't know what to tell you.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017

Multiple game crashes, but also [Edit: currently, at this very moment] BC incompatible games

Halo Master Chief Collection
Gears 5
Forza (Horizon 4) - mentioned, no start attempt

To me it is unexpected that XBox Game Studios games have BC problems with their new console...
I would have expected them to be rock solid from first day any external user got to use their system!

Here is an idea OP.
Just delete the bold part since you misunderstanding all of what you said and let people judge by themselves.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I reported the OP, there's nothing of substance to actually discuss here when you get past the poorly worded OP. Won't lead to worthwhile discussion

Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine that if Gears, Halo, and Forza are all not yet compatible it's because MS is saving those for later in the PR cycle. At least two of those should be their big BC showpieces.

TroutEater

Apr 12, 2020
So if I have a game on quick resume and it gets an update it just crashes? Would make me kinda paranoid.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It is confirmed, games like Forza and Gears doesn't work on purpose since they are waiting to release the optimization patch.
Yeah, I wish more people would mention this, though, as I feel that many people think that they're legitimately just not compatible when it's probably more likely that Microsoft just doesn't want people to think that the "enhancements" are limited to how they work without their proper enhancement patches.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So basically this thread could have just be post on the other thread because its premise went away rather fast.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Your question isn't very specific. If you insert an OG Xbox Game or a 360 game, it downloads the game to the system (the disc is just a key). Games on the current/next-gen systems aren't going to run off the disc at all.

As for BC games this gen and next, they've always downloaded the game package offline, they've never just ran off the disc you put in (as far as I know). None of the BC games I have (I have hundreds) have ever ran off the disc or just by putting it in from scratch.

So no, BC OG Xbox/360 games don NOT work if you're offline. I don't know about XB1 games on Series X. They most likely work like normal Series X games.
Thank you this is what I wanted too know

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Just as it will be the same for PlayStation, so to is it expected that the Series X & S will take some fine tuning with backwards compatible titles to make them work properly on this and future platforms.

Nice to see coverage of the console, warts and all though. Highlighting these issues publicly will draw attention to them and get them sorted out quicker, which is better for everyone.
Lol why must it be equated to the PlayStation?

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize games needed to be whitelisted. I know there's a patch coming but I would think those game would have just worked in BC without the series x enhancements.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I think it would be safe to assume that what is essentially the RAM dump- will not work if the games executable /package has been changed by a patch.
I guess so, then that's quite annoying if it happens and you haven't saved from a quick resume, not that I think I wouldn't save before changing games or shutting of the console anyway because of habit alone and not enough trust in the tech.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be curious to know if she declined the update she'd be able to quick resume if she tried again. State of Decay 2 is an always online game though, right?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
To me it is unexpected that XBox Game Studios games have BC problems with their new console...
The don't have problems. All games with the exception of Kinect games will work. The preview program is artificially limited in scope and as someone in here said they get hundred more games each week. Unless you think the MS BC team can test hundreds of games each week, than there is no technical issue to this.
that is wrong. I haven't watched video so I'm not sure if that's how they're characterized. press is receiving firmware updates that enable 200-500 BC games per update roughly once a week. if it's currently not playable for us, that does NOT mean it will not be part of BC suite; we've been told to expect everything that works on Xbox One X to work on this.
Do it's not native BC?
If I insert a disc offline will it work?
Of course and yes it's native iirc. Unlike 360 and OG, those are emulated.
The Mr. who called sony out for their bad messaging regarding BC,...please hold your horses next time...
What? Who are you talking to and why not watch the video before posting?

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who hasn't seen every bit of Quick Resume coverage, I was surprised that it keeps them in the Quick Resume state after a full shutdown. For some reason I assumed you had to keep the console in a Suspend state and that it would dump the memory after a shutdown. Very cool to know that isn't the case!

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I didn't realize games needed to be whitelisted. I know there's a patch coming but I would think those game would have just worked in BC without the series x enhancements.
In the preview program of the journalist and influencers they need to be. I don't think this will be the case once November 10 hits.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Due to the inaccurate OP & misleading information, this thread has been locked. Someone else can make a new thread on the video with the correct information presented.

Status
Not open for further replies.