• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
RogerL

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
that is wrong. I haven't watched video so I'm not sure if that's how they're characterized. press is receiving firmware updates that enable 200-500 BC games per update roughly once a week. if it's currently not playable for us, that does NOT mean it will not be part of BC suite; we've been told to expect everything that works on Xbox One X to work on this.

OK, should have written Currently BC incompatible... will fix...

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'd like to introduce you to this nifty new thing the kids are using. It's called the internet
Shrug, guess I have too high a standard for expecting reasonable when I converse with people here. Alanah shouldn't be coddling idiots.

The video is just a perfect, real world, unedited demo that we should have more of for this stuff.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the most misleading and blatant OP I've seen in quite a while, kudos

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Weird that Halo and Gears doesn't fall back to hardware BC.

edit: How solidly is the Xbox hardware itself backwards compatible excluding emulation & patches?
Sony ensured it was fully bc on a silicon level hence 99% compatibility across 4000+ titles.
Yeah but what about Joe's Diner tho

MasteroFlich

Banned
Jun 15, 2020
User warned: drive-by posting/platform warring, not reading the OP
The Mr. who called sony out for their bad messaging regarding BC,...please hold your horses next time...

Mokubba

Oct 27, 2017
These are the games announced getting day 1 upgrade patches -- ms doesnt want press to show them off until the patches are done. Not sure why this is surprising.
Makes sense.

Didn't know their day 1 patch was already announced.

Edit: off course, all the upgrades they showed off for Gears.
Had a brain fade for a sec and forgot it's not a separate SKU.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
that is wrong. I haven't watched video so I'm not sure if that's how they're characterized. press is receiving firmware updates that enable 200-500 BC games per update roughly once a week. if it's currently not playable for us, that does NOT mean it will not be part of BC suite; we've been told to expect everything that works on Xbox One X to work on this.

Yeah I wouldn't read too much into it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

To me it is unexpected that XBox Game Studios games have BC problems with their new console...
I would have expected them to be rock solid from

It will 100% be because those games have patches, but they haven't been released to journalists.
Also, as has been pointed out, only some games are available for journalists right now anyway.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 are getting enhanced on top of being BC so I'd imagine the patch just isn't ready.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's misleading about showing the issues she has with her preview unit? That's called transparency. Most reasonable people would understand XSX software is still getting fixed and these potential issues probably won't occur with retail units at release.
Meanwhile, on Twitter.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Halo MCC barely worked for so long, I'm not surprised it's held together with bandaids.

As mentioned, Gears and FH4 are getting XSX versions, so not an issue there.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will 100% be because those games have patches, but they haven't been released to journalists.
Gears 5 and Forza 4 have definitely had them announced
Honestly now I just want a full list of games that are crashing because that could likely mean they'll be BC Enhanced!

Cyros

Oct 27, 2017
Are FH4 and Gears 5 going to be games that you run in BC mode? I thought they'd be getting a Series X/S SKU via smart delivery?

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Microsoft adding XBS specific features/enhancements for some of their first party titles, e.g. Gears of War 5? I'd imagine that's why they are not working.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Shrug, guess I have too high a standard for expecting reasonable when I converse with people here. Alanah shouldn't be coddling idiots.

The video is just a perfect, real world, unedited demo that we should have more of for this stuff.
She shouldn't edit her video, no. But the OP shouldn't make it out to be something it's not like BC incompabilities, she literally says the game that crashes out is because it has an update and the games that aren't compatible are not JUST YET. Which there is reasons for, they release new games for preview in waves and these will have patches.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I always save my games and quit them and will never trust quick resume. If by chance a game crashes like State of Decay 2 then you'll lose all the progress from when you last saved. I do the same thing on X currently. I believe Jeff from Giant Bomb brought this up too.

Game didnt crash. It went back to the dash because there was a update

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 is getting updated to be Series X Optimized so it would make sense that it's not on the current preview whitelist of games.

Halo MCC very well could be as well given the updates that have been coming to PC. Well just have to see in a few weeks.
I won't be surprised to see MCC at 4k120 on Series X. That's probably the easiest upgrade they can give the collection on the console given the games already run at 4k60 on X1X.
Gears 5 and FH4 are getting SX Optimized so it's not surprising.

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this a little bit misleading? Maybe MS has a day one patch to fix compatibility issues especially if they only had like 500 games available during the test. No way Xbox drops the ball like this after all the goodwill they built up so far.
Anybody with a smidgen of common sense knows that not only is this a work in progress but you're never going to get it 100% right with backwards compatibility.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Having watched the video, I think "crashes and bc incompatibilities" is maybe stretching credibility, because the "crash" was the game prompting for an update, and the incompatibility was specific titles that are disabled in the preview as native patches are finished in the leadup to launch. I was expecting like a *hard* game crash, or games showing odd behaviors/performance.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
She shouldn't edit her video, no. But the OP shouldn't make it out to be something it's not like BC incompabilities, she literally says the game that crashes out is because it has an update and the games that aren't compatible are not JUST YET. Which there is reasons for, they release new games for preview in waves and these will have patches.
I agree with that. OP shouldn't have editorialized the thread title. I thought that was what Alanah titled her video.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably just some issue with the current host oor system OS build. Besides the architectural similarities, all Xbox One games run in a VM containing their own GameOS so it's unlikely there is any real compatibility issue

e: The 'is not compatible' message is just driven by a whitelist

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I am not too surprised there are problems with BC sometimes. Its an emulator right? also a work in progress.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Do it's not native BC?
If I insert a disc offline will it work?

We know Xbox One titles are what you'd call "native" BC, because DF was able to use the unpatched disc version of AC Unity for some of their recent coverage. Original Xbox and 360 titles download the patch the same way they did on XB1, though.

I am not too surprised there are problems with BC sometimes. Its an emulator right? also a work in progress.

It's worth watching the video, it sounds like the thread title is giving the wrong impression.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
I was impressed that switching from Control to Ori took 8 seconds in the video. Both games are 1X enhanced, so take 9GB of RAM. This would give the average transfer of 2.25GB/s, so very near the advertised speed of the SSD. I wonder if we can extrapolate that to 12s between native Series X games.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017

Multiple game crashes, but also [Edit: currently, at this very moment] BC incompatible games

Halo Master Chief Collection
Gears 5
Forza (Horizon 4) - mentioned, no start attempt

To me it is unexpected that XBox Game Studios games have BC problems with their new console...
I would have expected them to be rock solid from first day any external user got to use their system!

i think Bakalar mentioned those games were on the incompatible list too on the beast cast

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
What's misleading about showing the issues she has with her preview unit? That's called transparency. Most reasonable people would understand XSX software is still getting fixed and these potential issues probably won't occur with retail units at release.

The OP says MS is having BC problems with their first party games and that's not the case?

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
This is non-final hardware and issues like these are expected. What is strange is the fact that only Alanah shared them.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Do it's not native BC?
If I insert a disc offline will it work?

Your question isn't very specific. If you insert an OG Xbox Game or a 360 game, it downloads the game to the system (the disc is just a key). Games on the current/next-gen systems aren't going to run off the disc at all.

As for BC games this gen and next, they've always downloaded the game package offline, they've never just ran off the disc you put in (as far as I know). None of the BC games I have (I have hundreds) have ever ran off the disc or just by putting it in from scratch.

So no, BC OG Xbox/360 games don NOT work if you're offline. I don't know about XB1 games on Series X. They most likely work like normal Series X games.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
OP gets called out by everyone including Verified media with access to the console, says sorry and will edit the OP, but just changes "BC incapabilities to BC problems."

🤔

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yea but it looked like it had to start from scratch after that losing whatever part she was up to using quick resume no? I imagine the game has to quit to apply an update.
She doesnt go back to it because its still downloading the update when the vid stops. Dont know really. Quick resume works even after a full console cold reboot.
Might still work after a patch also? No idea. Guess will see. Good to maybe indeed to save if you want to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.