• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned - Platform Warring

Multiple game crashes, but also [Edit: currently, at this very moment] BC incompatible games

Halo Master Chief Collection
Gears 5
Forza (Horizon 4) - mentioned, no start attempt

To me it is unexpected that XBox Game Studios games have BC problems with their new console...
I would have expected them to be rock solid from first day any external user got to use their system!

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they've been gradually adding new compatible games. They sent consoles out to influencers a month prior to launch, it's expected some things wouldn't work. I wouldn't worry about something like Forza or Halo not working at launch.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
It's refreshing that she kept issues or problems in but given the source and how consistent she is...also not surprised.

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
I would suspect that the reason those games are incompatible is that Microsoft has an Xbox Series X Optimization patch in the works, so they want players to see that version instead of something that they will never see on launch hardware.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Odd about those first party games. đź‘€

Expect them to be ready to go at launch though.

edit: All the replies saying don't worry are refreshing and hilarious at the same time. Wish this level of maturity was applied across the board. Instead we have threads devolving over PR word choice and how we should all be "skeptical/concerned/worried".

Last edited:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Weird that Halo and Gears doesn't fall back to hardware BC.

edit: How solidly is the Xbox hardware itself backwards compatible excluding emulation & patches?
Sony ensured it was fully bc on a silicon level hence 99% compatibility across 4000+ titles.

Last edited:

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't be concerned, still plenty of time to get it sorted for launch or even shortly after launch. Perhaps some can appreciate Sonys 99% of games will work speech now though, both consoles will have games that don't work and thats not only ok but also expected.

Jun 23, 2019
Isn't this a little bit misleading? Maybe MS has a day one patch to fix compatibility issues especially if they only had like 500 games available during the test. No way Xbox drops the ball like this after all the goodwill they built up so far.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
FWIW, Gamekult mentioned in their DIRT5 live the console receives almost daily updates. Makes sense since the software is not finale but eh. I am not worried.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Respect to her for showing the issues there too, that was a good preview.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Isn't this a little bit misleading? Maybe MS has a day one patch to fix compatibility issues especially if they only had like 500 games available during the test. No way Xbox drops the ball like this after all the goodwill they built up so far.
What's misleading about showing the issues she has with her preview unit? That's called transparency. Most reasonable people would understand XSX software is still getting fixed and these potential issues probably won't occur with retail units at release.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
Just as it will be the same for PlayStation, so to is it expected that the Series X & S will take some fine tuning with backwards compatible titles to make them work properly on this and future platforms.

Nice to see coverage of the console, warts and all though. Highlighting these issues publicly will draw attention to them and get them sorted out quicker, which is better for everyone.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm sure they'll work by launch. This is why Sony talked about the "how 99% of games worked but some might experience issues" stuff.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Both consoles will have day 1 system software updates.
Why would they be ready a month prior when you can give your engineers an extra month of time to get it done?

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I wonder if they have a little extra custom series x optimization coming for Halo MCC, hence its exclusion currently like Gears 5.

Couldn't soften the blow of no infinite at launch

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Over a month out from the retail release of the console they're obviously working on everything. Nothing to worry about here in my opinion.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I would suspect that the reason those games are incompatible is that Microsoft has an Xbox Series X Optimization patch in the works, so they want players to see that version instead of something that they will never see on launch hardware.
It is confirmed, games like Forza and Gears doesn't work on purpose since they are waiting to release the optimization patch.

Editor @ Ars Technica Weighs In

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
BC incompatible games

that is wrong. I haven't watched video so I'm not sure if that's how they're characterized. press is receiving firmware updates that enable 200-500 BC games per update roughly once a week. if it's currently not playable for us, that does NOT mean it will not be part of BC suite; we've been told to expect everything that works on Xbox One X to work on this.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I'm expecting those first party titles to have the biggest improvement patches on or close to day 1 so they are currently still being worked on. No sense in pushing half done upgrade patches to them.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
To me it is unexpected that XBox Game Studios games have BC problems with their new console...
I would have expected them to be rock solid from first day any external user got to use their system!

I dont think its BC problems. I suspect they have more elaborate patches for those games that are more "on going" types that they want these preview people to show off at some point. We've already seen Gears running 120 on Series S, etc.

Jun 23, 2019
What's misleading about showing the issues she has with her preview unit? That's called transparency. Most reasonable people would understand XSX software is still getting fixed and these potential issues probably won't occur with retail units at release.

I'm just saying this is going to give people the wrong impression. People don't care about being reasonable when they take any chance they can to dunk on Xbox.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's all due to not being final code at all. Microsoft sent the console early out and many people told us that there is a whitelist for games that gets bigger and bigger.
I think it will all work just fine come launch.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I love that she left in the info/footage of snags and issues. I want the nitty-gritty with these new machines, just to keep expectations in check. I know this is still preview builds of almost everything, but some of that is definitely gonna be there at launch.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Great video and display, though I wish she would have swapped to something other than Ori everytime, just to get an idea of a more real world application for game switching.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I think maybe the title should have been what the youtube title was and not something editorialized to seem bad when the games just isn't available for preview purposes yet.

Though it crashes a bit much, hoping for a day 1 patch to fix any such problems with quick resume.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
actually interesting to see but yeah press has preview builds and they're getting newly compatible games on a regular basis. it's not "BC problems" it's just a whole fuckload of games to get ready by launch and they'll be fine.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 is getting updated to be Series X Optimized so it would make sense that it's not on the current preview whitelist of games.

Halo MCC very well could be as well given the updates that have been coming to PC. Well just have to see in a few weeks.

Mokubba

Oct 27, 2017
I expect all this to be working at launch but I would've thought 1st party games would've been first priority for BC.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I heard Maximilian say that those (and other) games don't work yet because the system isn't out yet and there are specific patches in the work for some of these bigger games.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to introduce you to this nifty new thing the kids are using. It's called the internet

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
This is why I always save my games and quit them and will never trust quick resume. If by chance a game crashes like State of Decay 2 then you'll lose all the progress from when you last saved. I do the same thing on X currently. I believe Jeff from Giant Bomb brought this up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.