• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
The whole skeleton thing baffled me so much I spent some time looking into it. It seems like it's more a case of companies self-censoring just to be safe rather than there being any actual rule, and it's more that the culture and people themselves simply don't really like seeing skeletons in media. They find it kind of tasteless and disrespectful to the dead rather than scary or anything like that. This was my understanding after a good hour or so googling around and reading up on it.

As for the censoring of black figures (as happened with John Boyega), that shit is just inexcusable and disgusting. Absolutely shameful that western companies get into bed with these backward cretins just for money. Grow a fucking spine.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Not surprised by the racist part
I am.

Disappointing. Why do other people of color have to pick on us too. It's so disheartening. Moreso than anything else if I'm being honest.

I think I've spent my last dollar on League of Legends.

edit: actually if Arkane is any indication, this feeling doesn't trickle down to Riot so I'll keep spending there until I see otherwise.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Led by 2 Black developers, a Black kid being pushed hard as one of the game's major characters.
Seems like Riot has more creative control here. Wasn't the LoL stuff here before the Tencent investment? I don't think they have leverage for that.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Ghosts and skeletons are a no-no for CCP. Oh, and time-travel sure as shit ain't gonna fly as well.

It's enough funnier than that if I remember correctly.
I think the policy is like "no ghosts after the founding of the new China". It's ok if you're making a historic drama with ghosts in it, but ghosts are exterminated when CCP took over.

Oct 27, 2017
Ive always been confused
The history of slavery and the aftermath is one of the primary reasons why black people are seen as lesser and treated as lesser in countries ran by white people.
Why are black persons treated that way as well in Asian countries? You see racist depictions of black people in japanese media for instance, where did that even come from? American occupation of japan?
Like racism exists in every culture ofc but the way how black people are depicted in non white countries still boggles me

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Tencent is a whole can of worms

mashable.com

Footage of China's largest internet company's wild, sexist staff party has gone viral

Female employees were on their knees unscrewing caps of bottles gripped between male employees' thighs.

giphy.gif

what... the... fuck...

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Tencent is a whole can of worms

mashable.com

Footage of China's largest internet company's wild, sexist staff party has gone viral

Female employees were on their knees unscrewing caps of bottles gripped between male employees' thighs.
Your avatar fits this post so well. What the actual fuck

EDIT: I had to read to see they weren't in fact giving them the sloppy knob on stage, but were unscrewing caps. Still a crazy amount of what the fucks though

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
And this will only get worse now that the CCP has tighten their grip on Tencent and other entertainment giants in china.

They outright don't want femboys or anything disturbing their strong male / beautiful female worldview in their media.

So i'm not surprised no poc and bigger breasts are demands to get your script produced by them.

...you think the CCP demands bigger breasts?

The CCP?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Ive always been confused
The history of slavery and the aftermath is one of the primary reasons why black people are seen as lesser and treated as lesser in countries ran by white people.
Why are black persons treated that way as well in Asian countries? You see racist depictions of black people in japanese media for instance, where did that even come from? American occupation of japan?
Like racism exists in every culture ofc but the way how black people are depicted in non white countries still boggles me

Idk but the west exports a lot of racism. Like probably by virtue of US pop culture exports which emphasize white as the ideal, if that's all foreign countries are seeing, it makes sense that they'd develop and internalize racist ideology.

Though this is not to excuse home grown racism, which I'm sure exists. Human beings love to hate and be bigots.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Idk I guess because I'm still tapped into the ongoings of society I just can't fathom how some people would still think like that, especially when we've seen how it can hurt a business/career.
And it still hasn't hurt their business/careers. They're not operating this way because "they just don't know this is bad." They know exactly what they're doing and what they're trying to promote.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I mean...more concerned my ass. I can be concerned about both of em.
I am concerned as fuck about MS, they been evil since forever and Phill not being a shitty evil overlord doesn't make the company that owns his division less evil.
Tencent and MS in the same boat. MS in Brazil is the same as Tencent here.
Many American companies sound nice and all IN AMERICA but keep on killing people outside of the boarders...well within as well but y'all keep forgetting they multinational.

lol the Microsoft whataboutism didn't take long

Psykoboy2

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Some companies Tencent invests in:

Riot Games (League of Legends) - 100 percent
Epic Games - 40 percent
Bluehole (PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds) - 11.5 percent
Ubisoft - 5 percent
Activision Blizzard - 5 percent(idk how this one works)
Platinum Games - Undisclosed investment
Discord: Undisclosed investment amount

Didn't they pour some money into Bungie as well? Not for Destiny, but I think their next IP.

Oct 27, 2017
Ive always been confused
From Article said:
Since the 7th century, Africans have maintained a consistent commercial relationship with China. During the Tang Dynasty, Arab traders brought African slaves from east Africa to China. They comprised one of the many commodities in the Arabs' large-scale maritime trade with China. During this era, the first Chinese cultural perception of African people developed. These "dark-skinned" people were known as Kunlun. They were described as lower class, ignorant, scary, and dangerous. Although there were far more enslaved Chinese, some wealthy Chinese preferred the exotic Kunlun slaves.
Read more about it at the link below.

www.blackpast.org

Africans and African Americans in China: A Long History, A Troubled Present, and a Promising Future? •

In the article below independent historian Robin Loftin explores the past, present, and possible future relationship between the world’s most populous nation and people of African ancestry. Africa and China have had contact for more than a thousand years. Some scholars assert that the contacts …...

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...you think the CCP demands bigger breasts?

The CCP?

It's not as laughable as it sounds sadly.

They have a new official plan to strengthen the old "male has to be manly" and "women have to be pretty" and of course no gays or femboys viewpoints.

They're demanding that males have to be manly and not feminine. I don't think bigger breasts (not for every single woman of course) are an unbelievable jump from there.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Ive always been confused
White supremacy is a global epidemic.

We can point to some of the primary culprits like slavery but the truth is it's only one of many.

If you look closely you see it everywhere. And if you ignore it long enough you think it's a problem that doesn't exist.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Probably old fashioned ideas on what sells? It seems so fucking wild for a publisher to expect that they can give creatives those types of notes but maybe they're used to having that sort of sway.

I'm guessing the "no ghosts" has something to do with China's censors.
This is my guess as well. It's reinforcing stereotypes based on what sells where it's going to be sold.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I mean...more concerned my ass. I can be concerned about both of em.
I am concerned as fuck about MS, they been evil since forever and Phill not being a shitty evil overlord doesn't make the company that owns his division less evil.
Tencent and MS in the same boat. MS in Brazil is the same as Tencent here.
Many American companies sound nice and all IN AMERICA but keep on killing people outside of the boarders...well within as well but y'all keep forgetting they multinational.

You said it. It's easy to forget when US news isn't covering it.

Also see: Nestlé and ExxonMobil

Edit: regarding the racism, I recall somewhere that Chinese culture is turned off by dark skin due to the idea of white skin = clean. They see having dark skin as a dirty peasant working in the sun.

And probably a bit of white supremacy in there too.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
How is it whataboutism when she brings it up in the video? Did no one of you watch that video or am I not supposed to react to the content of the post? Y'all never learnt that not getting screwed over is an option?

Her general discussion in the video was about the giant tech companies. Of which they obviously mentioned Microsoft.

The point of the clip and this thread was Tencent.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Not everything bad happening in China is a CCP ruling guys

It's not as laughable as it sounds sadly.

They have a new official plan to strengthen the old "male has to be manly" and "women have to be pretty" and of course no gays or femboys viewpoints.

They're demanding that males have to be manly and not feminine. I don't think bigger breasts (not for every single woman of course) aren't an unbelievable jump from there.
But then they tell companies to reduce breast sizes in so many others game and animation lol.

May 17, 2018
Damn, I hope Sony doesn't reign her in after this. I know she was psyched that they allowed her to keep up podcasting which is something they never do, but I worry they'd look at this as a problem cause corporate gonna corporate.

Not the focal point here because *fuck* tencent, but still.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Damn, I hope Sony doesn't reign her in after this. I know she was psyched that they allowed her to keep up podcasting which is something they never do, but I worry they'd look at this as a problem cause corporate gonna corporate.

Not the focal point here because *fuck* tencent, but still.
Don't think Sony cares tbh.