• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif
Not just that part the part after too. Very weird.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to all big profile cyberpunk media ever created?

They all are financially supported, made and promoted by huge corporations.

Is that bit ironic? Sure, but not exclusive to this production.
By this logic, we should argue the same over any fictional work that criticizes capitalism, especially when its sold in a capitalistic system

You're both right of course. I just wonder if it isn't rather cynical to use the genre in this day and age seeing how corporate influence has increased since even just a decade or two ago. A lot more money is to be made via movies and games now, and so it feels like the production and the marketing themselves undermine the setting and the narrative of the genre.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
User banned (1 week): Trolling, inaccurately generalizing different Era members just to pick fights. Previous ban for inflammatory generalizations against other members.
Era members in Hogwarts Legacy thread- "Rowling may be a TERF, but I won't punish the devs. Day 1 buy for me!"

Era members in this thread- "You don't get it. It's about ethics in journalism! Oh she's not a journalist? Well then it's about ethics in influencer-land! You expect me to compromise with my morals and be okay with this? This is anti-consumer. I will write pages of comments about this SeRiOuS issue in this thread."

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
These relations come across as iffy when it's someone who's in the general vicinity of games criticism and has some amount of influence.
Like, she's said she's not reviewing it, but she might still cover the game. Because of this relationship, will that coverage now be inclined to be more positive or omit negative stuff like CD Projekt's history of transphobia? One might wonder about stuff like that going forward.

The other aspect that's questionable is just...recognizing Youtube, Twitch personalities in a game, can take you out of the world, feel weird and pandering. And yeah, these people typically aren't actors, so if they also have performances in the game...that might also stand out in a bad way. Just this sense that the quality of the game is being compromised in the name of marketing.

It's all just sort of mildly iffy.
But it's also kind of cool, I guess?

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Seems she's an influencer or maybe just a "person who enjoys games." And what the fuck is this garbage take about "lacking impartial credibility" when she stated she's not reviewing the game months ago now.

You're getting pissed off just to get pissed off and it's a real bad look for you.
Well, when you start getting paid by organizations you cover, yes you absolutely lose any impartial credibility due to a conflict of interest. And lol I don't care how I look here. This is, after all, my opinion.

CD Project courting these people shows me they are completely ok with turning people who talk about games into just another marketing arm. Not a fan.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Gonna need a threadmark why this is bad because all i see here is ignoring her review because they paid her. I mean it's not like she's hiding the fact that she's in the game

instead of reading 200 reviews on this game i'll just read 199?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gonna need a threadmark why this is bad because all i see here is ignoring her review because they paid her. I mean it's not like she's hiding the fact that she's in the game

instead of reading 200 reviews on this game i'll just read 199?
she not gonna review the game , she said that months ago.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i haven't been following this story until this thread, and 11 pages in i don't get the "outrage"
she recused herself from reviewing the game
A lot of people still think critics of any kind of media are objective and especially in games media , lots of people think games reviews should be objective .

People do not like influencers in their games , despite this being a thing for years .

Its also a game made by CDPR which had pretty bad messaging as far as PR goes when it comes to sensitive topics.

now multiply this by ten as far as emotions go and you get your usual ERA thread

matunter

Oct 26, 2017
An influencer/personality/ex-journalist who's primary value (at least to me) is effectively communicating their (hopefully) impartial opinion on games then popping up in one of the biggest games of the year is just poor optics - regardless of who you are, whether you're reviewing the game, and how little the in-game model looks like you

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
She doesn't just have a chair she got a jacket when they sent her a invite to the press gameplay session last month. What a total shill

this thread mannnnnnnnn

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
If people like her are in a game, I don't care but they need a professional voice actor. I'm sure she sounds like shit and a game like 2077 is all about immersion. She is untalented at voiceacting but kind of steals an opportunity for a professional. It's not her fault though. CD Project is the one to blame.

Yeah I'm going to be so immersed by mediocre actor KEANU REEVES disappearing into the Transformative role of Johnny Silverhand and not just being mediocre actor KEANU REEVES with a robot arm.

Like, what?

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not outraged I just don't like seeing depictions of actual people in games.

Keanu being in it was cool at first but I've changed my mind on that as well and wish they hadn't done it.

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The initial trailer for this game had me so excited. I thought CDPR were going to do a serious attempt at an open world, noir cyberpunk thriller. Everything since the gameplay reveal has been a goofy as fuck media circus. "Keanu is a wisecracking ghost sidekick and check out all these youtubers you can meet!" Is just not what I expected.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of emotional energy you folks expend about this shit is wild. On all sides of the issue.

Who. the fuck. cares.

Normandie

Banned
Jul 14, 2020

I am getting big Brie Larson is a nintendo fan vs Henry Cavil builds a PC terms of responses in this thread.

Yeah.

Anybody who follows Alanah Pearce already knows what's up. She said she's not reviewing it. All this hand-wringing seems a little overwrought in this circumstance. People who know who Alanah is don't need people trying to tell them she's in the game and is biased. Thanks, we know. I also know fast food isn't good for me and I shouldn't sit on the couch playing video games all day.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.

Anybody who follows Alanah Pearce already knows what's up. She said she's not reviewing it. All this hand-wringing seems a little overwrought in this circumstance. People who know who Alanah is don't need people trying to tell them she's in the game and is biased. Thanks, we know. I also know fast food isn't good for me and I shouldn't sit on the couch playing video games all day.

Exactly.

Did anyone give a shit when Greg Miller was in Spiderman PS4? Or when he did voices in Lego games?

No. Instead we got people in this thread losing sleep over the potential bias in the "Inside Gaming and Funhaus reviews" when Alanah broke down what it's like to review games

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
So I think it's fair to speculate every influencers that has a cyberpunk gaming chair was casted to be 3D modeled in the game. Waiting for Parris model next.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Exactly.

Did anyone give a shit when Greg Miller was in Spiderman PS4? Or when he did voices in Lego games?

No. Instead we got people in this thread losing sleep over the potential bias in the "Inside Gaming and Funhaus reviews" when Alanah broke down what it's like to review games

funhaus and word bias makes me chuckle shows how no one watched a video by them. Even there paid promotion videos which they disclose at start of a video they shit on the game *cough* Anthem *cough*

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably going to be the latter, let's be real. They had Angry Joe voice a troll in Witcher 3, and he doesn't have any VA experience at all.

My guess is it's going to sound like Jessica Chobot's character in Mass Effect 3. It works but it doesn't quite fit in due to lack of skill compared to the other voice hires.

This is probably what is going to happen. Most people wont care, but a lot will still be playing the game, immersed in the story delivered by actually talented voice actors, and they will reach this part "Oh yeah, this is the ex ign employee that got this part because shes an influencer."

I think this is weirder than say, Death Stranding having tons of cameos because as far as I know they were personal friends or fans of Kojima and none of them were in the "Game Journalism" side of the industry (Unless I'm mistaken).

EDIT: Same goes for Greg Miller, Coh and any youtuber getting a part in a game. Its marketing tactics.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
This is probably what is going to happen. Most people wont care, but a lot will still be playing the game, immersed in the story delivered by actually talented voice actors, and they will reach this part "Oh yeah, this is the ex ign employee that got this part because shes an influencer."
Personally I'm going to see it as "Ayy it's the place in the game where Alanah Pearce is!" I have a thing about self-inserts in games. I think there's something funny about it. Jessica Chobot in Mass Effect I did not care for because they made her fairly major to the game (a Normandy Crew and romance character) and her appearance and voice acting was just jarring.

Alanah in CP2077 is jarring but it's probably a minor appearance that is easily missable, which I'm all for. I'm looking forward to see what lines she was given and how it is in the game.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Era members in Hogwarts Legacy thread- "Rowling may be a TERF, but I won't punish the devs. Day 1 buy for me!"

Era members in this thread- "You don't get it. It's about ethics in journalism! Oh she's not a journalist? Well then it's about ethics in influencer-land! You expect me to compromise with my morals and be okay with this? This is anti-consumer. I will write pages of comments about this SeRiOuS issue in this thread."

I am getting big Brie Larson is a nintendo fan vs Henry Cavil builds a PC terms of responses in this thread.

Do you think maybe it's inappropriate to broadly accuse (or insinuate) Era posters are arguing in bad faith due to sexism? If you have a problem with a specific post, by all means call it out.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are you really conflating people getting upset a gaming media journalist having a part in a videogame with people dismissing trans issues? Really?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard of this person it it really doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Giving me a good first impression though.:D

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
seems this will be the new norm instead of randomly generated npcs if this and death stranding are anything to go by, which is probably preferable...if it doesn't stop character artists doing what they do

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
These relations come across as iffy when it's someone who's in the general vicinity of games criticism and has some amount of influence.
Like, she's said she's not reviewing it, but she might still cover the game. Because of this relationship, will that coverage now be inclined to be more positive or omit negative stuff like CD Projekt's history of transphobia? One might wonder about stuff like that going forward.

The other aspect that's questionable is just...recognizing Youtube, Twitch personalities in a game, can take you out of the world, feel weird and pandering. And yeah, these people typically aren't actors, so if they also have performances in the game...that might also stand out in a bad way. Just this sense that the quality of the game is being compromised in the name of marketing.

It's all just sort of mildly iffy.
But it's also kind of cool, I guess?
Basically sums up how I feel.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Are you really conflating people getting upset a gaming media journalist having a part in a videogame with people dismissing trans issues? Really?
I'm pointing out that somehow this little issue that doesn't significantly impact anyone's life seems to generate more discussion and hand-wringing than a literal TERF ruining people's lives.

Also, she's not a "gaming media journalist". She's not any kind of journalist. She's an influencer. She makes content and people watch that content. She has no obligation to either you or anyone else to reveal what companies she's working with or what NDAs she might have signed. Don't like her content? Don't watch it. Don't like her acting in video games? Don't buy those games.

Think her actions have broken a rule or law? Go file a complaint.

There are so many constructive ways of dealing with this instead of writing pages of concerned poetry on Era. Cheers.

Oct 26, 2017
There are so many constructive ways of dealing with this instead of writing pages of concerned poetry on Era. Cheers.
I mean even then, it doesn't even need to be "dealt with".
She's a person who likes video games and has centered her livelihood around them and is getting small role in a video game she's extremely excited about. There's nothing to hate here, there's nothing to be concerned about. It's a nice little story and that's it.
It's just another reminder that despite the overall progressive slant of this forum, it's still full of obnoxious gatekeeping nerds.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
I hope she's changed her voice, I feel it would pull me right out of the game otherwise.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
She's a person who likes video games and has centered her livelihood around them and is getting small role in a video game she's extremely excited about. There's nothing to hate here, there's nothing to be concerned about. It's a nice little story and that's it.
It's just another reminder that despite the overall progressive slant of this forum, it's still full of obnoxious gatekeeping nerds.
Oh for sure. This "ethics" crap isn't even subtle.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Reading more about their appearances I'm really curious what kind of role they are portraying.

This made me more into the idea of including media personalities this way. I was lukewarm on it after Death Stranding.

luminosity

Oct 30, 2017

Exactly!!!

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Quoting again for emphasis. Well said.

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
100%