• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
I feel like in this kind of situation you have two options:

1. Accept that this is the way the game will look when it releases and be pleasantly surprised if there are any improvements.

2. Pin your hopes on the expectation that the game will look way better at launch and feel angry and disappointed if it doesn't.

I think one is generally the healthier option.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vl9tEqW.png
Lmao

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That sums it up nicely, even if the age of the build isn't as far back as what we're hearing.

I say this gently, but you apparently have a poor understanding of how games (and art in general) come together. It's no joke to say the last "10%" of this stuff can take 50% of the time.
That's good to hear then, I'm looking forward to the graphics of halo infinite when it launches in a few months.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
If all they had in 2018 was an in engine render, does that mean the game has been put together in 2 years?

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Doesn't make a difference though. They had 5 years with this game and this is what they come up with after creating a new engine. It's too late now for them to make any noticeable improvements. 343 is a F tiered studio developing a game in a S tiered franchise. Halo needs to be in better hands.
I've never read so much hyperbole. 343 has made two very good games and this looks fun too.

www.metacritic.com

Halo 4

Halo 4 for Xbox 360 game reviews & Metacritic score: Master Chief re-emerges to battle an ancient evil force determined to wreak vengeance and annihilation. Shipwrecked on a mysterious world, faced with new enemie...

Halo 5: Guardians

Peace has been devastated as colony worlds are unexpectedly attacked. What's more, when humanity's greatest hero goes missing, a new Spartan is assigned the task of hunting the Master Chief and solving a mystery that threatens the whole of the galaxy.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Seems plausible, Campaign trailer vs Campaign demo already have differences in lighting and textures.

nrLxBRO3Npmbc_qGog_zviiFtc_IyW4qGR1Mnr433oI.jpg

i am confusd what this comparison between 2 different scenes meant to prove - different lighting conditons, different location - there is no proof of upgrade or downgrade either way.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
I might be wrong but I cant' see how you can develop a game for 6 years and spend 500m+ across 500 employees and have the last six months of development exponentially improve the graphics performance.

the game wasnt developed for six years. They built an engine then built a game. Those are two separate things that occurred.

secondly, the issue people are Having is on the textures not the actual assets. ray tracing and higher res textures would make a difference. Both of which can be improved between whenever the demo was made and launch.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
the game wasnt developed for six years. They built an engine then built a game. Those are two separate things that occurred.

secondly, the issue people are Having is on the textures not the actual assets. ray tracing and higher res textures would make a difference. Both of which can be improved between whenever the demo was made and launch.
Textures are a pretty integral part of assets

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

And as someone has literally shown in a thread, Gears 4 had a massive improvement in a months time.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
ResetEra: 60+ fps is way of life, who cares about the next gen graphics quality.

Also ResetEra: This looks like shit despite it being a cross gen 60fps 4k native game.

I swear y'all never be happy.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Wouldn't the game basically be in bug fix mode at this point if it's coming in 3-4 months? How much could it realistically have changed from six months ago?

I've done consulting on games that are remarkably put together over a year before release, while others are a hot mess months before release. you'd be surprised how much can change at the very end of development. not uncommon for earlier builds to be missing graphical effects, final textures etc either. god of war (ps4) was reported to be very rough right up until the end and it came out fantastic. of course you also have games like anthem that just never come together.

klauskpm

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
This needs to be its own thread. Mods please allow it. According to Alanah what we saw at the Xbox Showcase was an early build of 6 months.

Reddit Post and Video within the thread, start at 3:48 --- In my opinion, I wish Microsoft was upfront about this, leaving out the criticism the game is currently receiving with some. I'm sure it would save the people at 343i and Xbox a big headache of now trying to play cleanup.

EDIT -- I DO APOLOGISE ON THE ASSUMPTION OF THE 6 MONTHS, I WAS ONLY GOING BY WHAT PEOPLE ON TWITTER ARE ASSUMING.
OP, report your own post and request a title change to better reflect what she told. So it will prevent people from asking to lock the thread.

Oct 28, 2017
I believe it can look a bit better by launch, but the fact ray tracing is coming in a post-launch patch is an admission they need more time to optimise and the version we will be getting at launch will be noticeably outdated a few patches down the line.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
ResetEra: 60+ fps is way of life, who cares about the next gen graphics quality.

Also ResetEra: This looks like shit despite it being a cross gen 60fps 4k native game.

Why does this collection of different people have different opinions? That is really strange.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would MS not give them time to cut a new trailer if this was a 6 month old demo that didn't do the game many favors?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Somewhere in the Microsoft war room it was overheard,

"Let's kick off our huge Xbox Showcase that all eyes will be on with an old, shitty looking version of our signature game because we can't be bothered to edit in new footage."

The time for excuses is over. If they had some secret, jaw dropping visual splendor of a Halo today was the day to show it. This is what they have, and it's all they have.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018

fair enough, but its the messaging and marketing that doesn't help. Saying it was built up for Series X is just a barefaced lie.

Xbox execs really need to keep quiet.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Microsoft messed up the Halo presentation. You dont do a first gameplay reveal in these conditions. My heart skipped when I saw a mountain pop in when Chief was riding the elevator. This is supposed to sell people on next gen and if next gen still has texture and model pop in what's the point of all these ssd talks.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Surely this thread needs to be locked considering there Is no such confirmation

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
I am not an Xbox person, but that being said the 4K60fps showcase of Halo looked neat. Not sure why people are disappointed? Were people expecting Killzone Shadowfall type graphical leap? The game is built around older gen machines and optimized for Series X for higher frame rate and resolutions. Just wait for Halo Infinite follow up, that's when you truly see the next gen halo :)

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017

Has nothing to do with framerate. Halo 5 was 60fps too and it looked good at the time. People have every reason to expect this game to look better.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Why do people love to make excuses when they don't have to?

January when the game is going to be released after a few months is not an (early build) in any way. it is a realistic representation of the final product.

Halo was never a "graphics" game, why people don't want to embrace this simple fact? it doesn't have to look as good as Sony games. developers priorities are elsewhere and the series was always about delivering the best gameplay possible and a smooth experience, which is what really matters for a game like this.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't make any sense.

So MS is demoing gameplay for a game that's due out in a few months(ie. pretty much complete by now) for the first time using an older and uglier build that's several months old despite having a newer, and theoretically more polished, build available? I call bullshit. This sounds like damage control.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Why would MS not give them time to cut a new trailer if this was a 6 month old demo that didn't do the game many favors?

takes time and depending on what they're doing with current builds it might not be running as well. a better looking build that runs much worse would probably show worse than this. they should have went with a in game cinematic trailer with snippets of game play. they could have done a more in depth gameplay look later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.