• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Guy said Microsoft showed a ton of big AAA games, so there is tons to be excited about. Guy said what AAA games did you see, implying there wasn't much.

Just because some of your aren't excited about what was shown, doesn't mean there is nothing, just means it doesn't hit your tastes. Doesn't mean what they showed doesn't exist or is shit

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yea, cuz inXile and Ninja Theory's side projects are what we were talking about when mentioning major announcements. Cmon, dude
We were talking about the Coalition and the Initiative and you hand waved that away

Also by your logic, Miles Morales shouldn't could cause it's a side project. Or Ratchet shouldn't count as that's a side project.

Oct 27, 2017
Too much found on a couple negatives and refusal to look at any of the positives. It's exhausting. But hey, still lots to be hyped and excited about no matter what some are trying to push
I still can't help but laugh at people going through to find bad still frames of games that a player is never going to notice while it's in motion. It's just like... nothing better to do?

This is a gaming forum and with the games that are coming in the future from Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft you'd think people would be excited and celebrating them but I guess it's too much of an ask.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Nothing she said isn't true. I don't even know why some people are pushing back against those comments.

My PC is leagues ahead of my Xbox One S, but I've been gaming exclusively on the S for the past month because of Game Pass. I'm playing games I've never been interested in and becoming a fan. Having all their first party offerings available the first day is nice given how cheap Game Pass is. It will save me money in the long haul and if there are times when there is nothing to play I can cancel the subscription and turn it back on when I see something again.

Looking forward to playing Infinite, Fable, Avowed, Hellblade 2, Forza, and Psychonauts 2 on day 1 for $10. As someone said, it can be used as a glorified rental service if you're smart about it.

Couldn't you also be playing all their first party offerings on your PC as well?
(edit: I only say this because you said your PC was leagues better than your Xbox One S)

Oct 27, 2017
I know you edited but just wanted to say that I don't think we're ever getting an answer there lol.

Yea, cuz inXile and Ninja Theory's side projects are what we were talking about when mentioning major announcements. Cmon, dude
InXile's RPG is now a side project and Ninja Theory's projects are just nothing.

I won't be responding to your goalpost moving trolling again. Think what you want.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Thats literally not the point but keep moving them goalposts bra
What do you mean? Can you explain your point to me again?

Guy said Microsoft showed a ton of big AAA games, so there is tons to be excited about. Guy said what AAA games did you see, implying there wasn't much.

Just because some of your aren't excited about what was shown, doesn't mean there is nothing, just means it doesn't hit your tastes. Doesn't mean what they showed doesn't exist or is shit
Wait... you seem to be arguing the same thing as me but it only applies to Sony's games?

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Gamepass is a godsend for kids, they don't have the money for all the new games they see their favorite streamers are playing but if they have gamepass they can play the latest and greatest games for a fraction of the cost.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Not all the games available on console GP are on the PC version. Its why the PC version is cheaper.
Which is why I said first party offerings, it seemed like that's what they were talking about

edit: Crap, sorry you're the person I quoted, but yea it did seem like you were talking about first party games =p

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
This is a weird...argument?

Halo is flagship franchise for Microsoft, of course it's going to generate more discussion. Whether or not game pass is an incredible, pro-consumer value (it is) doesn't have anything to do with that? Like we should just...cool it on the Halo talk because Game Pass is a good deal? I don't understand.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I don't know if I'll be able to afford both consoles but I'd like an Xbox Series X for game pass.

That said, I'm currently subcribed to it on PC (have a laptop that can run games at mid at least) and PS Now: I have the same problem with these services than I have with Netflix, Amazon, etc, I just don't use the services. My reasoning is "cool, I'll play the games I don't want to buy there" but those games are not on the services or my time is full on games that I buy on release.

Played Street of Rage 4 on Game Pass and never used it again, played This is the Police on Now, never used it again.

This year I bought Kakarot, Dreams, Doom Eternal, FFVIIR, The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima. Gonna resub to FFXIV, gonna buy Captain Tsubasa and maybe Avengers.

None of these games are on PS Now or Game Pass for obvious reasons.

Again, it still sounds like a super appealing service but I don't treasure quantity over the games I really want to play and waiting for a couple of months on "those games to be on discount" isn't an option for me, the waiting starts when a game is announced for me, by the time it releases I expect that wait to be over.

The value is awesome, I just don't think it fits my playstyle and I'll probably make the mistake to buy the console and not use it lol

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Which is why I said first party offerings, it seemed like that's what they were talking about

edit: Crap, sorry you're the person I quoted, but yea it did seem like you were talking about first party games =p

lol. Yea I mentioned first party titles because its part of it and saves me money, but there are other games on that service I want to try.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Imploring people to praise these huge mega corporations is just so weird to me, especially one that has like a valuation of a gazillion dollars. Everything these companies do, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Apple, Google, is all for the purpose of increasing marketshare, pushing out the competition so that they can then control the market and then do anti-consumer things. Anything pro-consumer along the way is just a side effect.

If you, as an individual likes something a company does, cool. But why do you need everyone else to praise it along with you?

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People talk about variety and then don't like variety.

Their output looks far more varied than what's Sony's first party is doing. Nothing wrong with either.
Absolutely. I can't imagine Sony investing a lot of money into games like Flight Simulator, Gears Tactics. or Age of Empires. I like the direction Microsoft is going.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017

Uhhhh from what we've heard of InXile's RPG project, it's supposed to be a major IP, even potentially above Fable and Avowed.

I believe that's the project with God of War's combat designer. So it's going to make waves by all accounts.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
inXile's new game is AAA and being built with UE5. They've got Rockstar talent and God of War's lead combat designer working on it so far. Definitely not just a "side project".

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
inXile's new game is AAA and being built with UE5. They've got Rockstar talent and God of War's lead combat designer working on it so far. Definitely not just a "side project".

And the studio is led by Brian Fargo. A legend in the games industry who has so many connections. The only thing he never had was money, which isn't a problem anymore.

On the RPG front, Microsoft won't be beat between Avowed, Fable, and InXile's project (we can throw the inevitable Outer Worlds 2 and Wasteland in there too). If they can just bring back Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, all bases will be covered for RPGs lol

Microsoft's greatest enemy right now is time. Not games. They're developing a very varied lineup but these things take time, especially now in a global pandemic.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the premise of this is strange because... gamepass is already out and people have given MS their props for gamepass. if gamepass was a new thing then... yeah... people would talk about it more.

gamepass is a service that allows you to play a bunch of games and so people are going to talk about the games?? because that's what gamepass is about...

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought her and Bossman's take on it were decent. I think Sony & MSFT are doing completely different things, strategically, and there's stuff I like and dislike about each. I also feel like C19 is definitely making it hard to work (I work in AAA) so even though having video conferences to showcase stuff should ideally make it easier to broadcast (it does) it doesn't mean preparing the content for these showcases is any easier than pre-C19 times.

MSFT showed some great original stuff yesterday like The Gunk and Everwild, which I think are just overshadowed by the response and confusion surrounding other big ticket franchises. ID@XBOX and the recent MGS acquisitions are bearing new fruit and that's exciting to me.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
the premise of this is strange because... gamepass is already out and people have given MS their props for gamepass. if gamepass was a new thing then... yeah... people would talk about it more.

gamepass is a service that allows you to play a bunch of games and so people are going to talk about the games?? because that's what gamepass is about...

I think what is being missed (and I think this is a messaging issue that Microsoft isn't winning) is that the value shown at yesterday's show is unprecedented. If we never heard of Game Pass before yesterday and they announced at the end of the show "for $180 you can play everything we showed today and many more games over the next 3 years" people would lose their shit. Many people here have their subscriptions extended for much less than $180. There was billions of dollars of investment on display yesterday and we can access all of it cheap. Every game you're on the fence about, you can try at no additional risk. It's crazy and goes beyond value. It changes the paradigm of how as a gaming consumer, we can explore games and commune about them. Yesterday's show took the service to another level.

Then again, while I feel Alanah is great at what she does, this is really Microsoft's problem. They haven't been able to connect with gaming consumers for a long time despite the fact their marketing is positioned so well. Very few people are talking about Game Pass value after yesterday's show because their marketing and messaging just doesn't land.

Oct 27, 2017
I think what is being missed (and I think this is a messaging issue that Microsoft isn't winning) is that the value shown at yesterday's show is unprecedented. If we never heard of Game Pass before yesterday and they announced at the end of the show "for $180 you can play everything we showed today and many more games over the next 3 years" people would lose their shit. Many people here have their subscriptions extended for much less than $180. There was billions of dollars of investment on display yesterday and we can access all of it cheap. Every game you're on the fence about, you can try at no additional risk. It's crazy and goes beyond value. It changes the paradigm of how as a gaming consumer, we can explore games and commune about them. Yesterday's show took the service to another level.

Then again, while I feel Alanah is great at what she does, this is really Microsoft's problem. They haven't been able to connect with gaming consumers for a long time despite the fact their marketing is positioned so well. Very few people are talking about Game Pass value after yesterday's show because their marketing and messaging just doesn't land.

The marketing of "low monthly entry fee" is working. It tells us that we can save money (like Alanah said, "It is so good for gamers, it's such a good deal, you save so. much. money."). But like you noted, the reality of a subscription that comes out to $180 a year kind of makes it a harder sell. With the annual mindset, you only begin to "save money" if you had already planned to purchase at least 2-3 XBOX exclusives at $60 full price within a year.

I'm purposely not factoring in availability of third party games on GP as part of the "saving money" argument, because there's no assurance or guarantee that they'll be on the service, or that they'll remain on the service. The analog to this would be if you were a Netflix subscriber in the hopes that they'll eventually-hopefully-maybe put your favorite non-Netflix movie/TV series (back) in rotation.

Of course, older 1st party games available on the service add to its value, but you can always scoop up the games you're actually interested in playing on sale or discount and still probably come out ahead compared to the amount you'd pay for GP annually.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass is a godsend for kids, they don't have the money for all the new games they see their favorite streamers are playing but if they have gamepass they can play the latest and greatest games for a fraction of the cost.
I have a feeling kids that play on PC are probably spoiled rotten with Fortnite, Epic Game's free weekly game/s to keep (up to over 130 right now), Amazon/twitch prime games (I think monthly they give out around 5 games, and also free stuff in random games), PS+ free games, Xbox Gold free games. They are filled to the brim with just one or two of those. And then you have games being so cheap now. Spending a constant allowance on a service when you get free stuff + the cheap stuff you know you like and can keep (for PS+ you can't but they usually stay subbed to it) is likely a easy choice for the kid on a budget.

Kids these days get so much for free.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The marketing of "low monthly entry fee" is working. It tells us that we can save money (like Alanah said, "It is so good for gamers, it's such a good deal, you save so. much. money."). But like you noted, the reality of a subscription that comes out to $180 a year kind of makes it a harder sell. With the annual mindset, you only begin to "save money" if you had already planned to purchase at least 2-3 XBOX exclusives at $60 full price within a year.

I'm purposely not factoring in availability of third party games on GP as part of the "saving money" argument, because there's no assurance or guarantee that they'll be on the service, or that they'll remain on the service. The analog to this would be if you were a Netflix subscriber in the hopes that they'll eventually-hopefully-maybe put your favorite non-Netflix movie/TV series (back) in rotation.

Of course, older 1st party games available on the service add to its value, but you can always scoop up the games you're actually interested in playing on sale or discount and still probably come out ahead compared to the amount you'd pay for GP annually.
So what you're saying is, if you ignore large chunks of value that gamepass gets you, it still manages to look like it breaks even value wise?

It's very easy to not pay 180 for it as well, as there are discounts all the time, plus conversion deals and trials. There's also the Microsoft rewards program which adds up over time. If you go diligent with it you can actually earn Gpu for "free" just by collecting all the reward points you can.

So it's more like 100 dollars a year for at least 4 or 5 good to average first party triple a games, plus 10+ other first party smaller games plus currently around 200 other indy games, many of which are considered very highly and quite a few launch day 1 into the service.

As if that wasn't enough value you alps get to chat about games in the most excellent Gamepass and chill thread!

Gamepass isn't for everyone but it offers absolutely tons of value for absolutely tons of people.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Absolutely. I can't imagine Sony investing a lot of money into games like Flight Simulator, Gears Tactics. or Age of Empires. I like the direction Microsoft is going.
Huh? Sony lets their devs do exactly what they want pretty much especially if you already find some success. That's the entire mission statement of worldwide studios and MS repeated it as a goal when they starting acquiring studios.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Completely different creator payment system.
For now...

GamePass is a great deal just like Spotify is a great deal and Netflix is a great deal.

Rights are expensive. It's existence will change game design and it can only stay around if it dominates the market. The Xbox brand is a great launching point, but these are the caveats.

I think Spotify is a great deal but it sucks for musicians who have to find alternate ways to monetize. GamePass is a great deal but we are only really seeing how it works in the investment/loss-leading phase of the model. The end goal is to swallow up the model of $60 games just as Netflix wants to devour the theater business. It is in the process of doing that now.

I will enjoy it now as games made for the other model are thrown on there. There is a lot of value.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Sony lets their devs do exactly what they want pretty much especially if you already find some success. That's the entire mission statement of worldwide studios and MS repeated it as a goal when they starting acquiring studios.

While I believe that's true and Sony has put out some truly unique games throughout their history, nowadays it does feel like there's an implicit understanding among the studios that third person action adventure games are going appeal to the overall playerbase.

Not that there's really a problem with that either, Sony has made some fucking rad games lately. I'm sure having multiple studios working on the same kind of game actually pushes innovation and craftsmanship within the genre.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017

Agree, it's great for those who buy a lot of first party games or want to play a bunch of different games. I don't normally spend $180 on games in a year. I also don't have the desire to play games I'm not already greatly interested in due to time constraints.
I did find a couple of games from yesterday's show very intriguing but they appear to be years away from completion. I'll consider getting an X if those titles pan out but it take a lot more games like that to get me to consider full price game pass.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Gamepass is incredible, I love it. But at the same time, there are not too many games that blow me away on there. I don't think Sony is in a position to want to force their top First Party titles to be available for one price. But perhaps they'll adjust that in the future.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't quite get the point she was making about the industry being money hungry and pumping micro transactions into games, are these things Microsoft has never done?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't quite get the point she was making about the industry being money hungry and pumping micro transactions into games, are these things Microsoft has never done?

You can make in game purchases in some games, but everything can be acquired without spending actual cash. Her point was that its a great value during a time where most people are just trying to yank money out of your wallet.

Kind of weird they have a service that costs about $10 bucks a month that gives people access to well over 100+ games with more to come and all Microsoft Studio games, yet people are trying their best to spin it as a bad thing.

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
MS/Xbox crew dropped the ball on the messaging and the showing was definitely not one that got people screaming "fuck, i need a Series X at release!"

tbh, all this "Gamepass woohoo!" stuff is annoying at this point. there are first party games on it that don´t materialize for the next years, the other stuff is third party, mostly later than the normal release. also, there are games that many people have already bought and a bunch of indie games which is cool but many people don´t care about that.
Did they drop the ball though? I think secretly that don't really care to sell hardware as much as they want everyone to believe. They want to sell a butt load of subscriptions though. Thats the Key to thier whole marketing campain but they dont want to flat out say so.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
You can make in game purchases in some games, but everything can be acquired without spending actual cash. Her point was that its a great value during a time where most people are just trying to yank money out of your wallet.

Kind of weird they have a service that costs about $10 bucks a month that gives people access to well over 100+ games with more to come and all Microsoft Studio games, yet people are trying their best to spin it as a bad thing.
Right but she was complaining specifically about Assassins creed giving the ability to speed up leveling, didn't Forza offer very similar boosts for it's economy?

It's a good value for a game rental service that I use, but this narrative of good guy Microsoft just wanting to offer people value doesn't sound intellectually honest to me.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Right but she was complaining specifically about Assassins creed giving the ability to speed up leveling, didn't Forza offer very similar boosts for it's economy?

It's a good value for a game rental service that I use, but this narrative of good guy Microsoft just wanting to offer people value doesn't sound intellectually honest to me.

If Horizon 4 had that I can't remember it. It's been awhile since I played it though so maybe.

No big corporation is your friend. Doesn't matter if its MS, Sony, Nintendo etc. Just pointed out GP is a good value.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't get Forza Horizon 4 because of the Poverty (base game) vs VIP Pass, VIP Pass gives you double credits for every reward or something.

I decided to just wait for a crazy sale, and The Crew 2 beat them to it for me. Got The Crew 2 for $20, it has a VIP pass like thing too. I'm glad I got The Crew 2, planes, hover craft, monster trucks, lots of different disciplines, and I really like the first game with it's car loot drops (TC1 still seem better even without aircraft and loot chests scattered around the USA map).

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't get Forza Horizon 4 because of the Poverty (base game) vs VIP Pass, VIP Pass gives you double credits for every reward or something.

I decided to just wait for a crazy sale, and The Crew 2 beat them to it for me. Got The Crew 2 for $20, it has a VIP pass like thing too. I'm glad I got The Crew 2, planes, hover craft, monster trucks, lots of different disciplines, and I really like the first game with it's car loot drops (TC1 still seem better even without aircraft and loot chests scattered around the USA map).

Never heard of the VIP pass, but I had a good time with the game. It's really good and worth checking out if you insist on buying it. Best racer I've played this gen.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018

MS are definitely trying to make money on Gamepass no question, they're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

But given the recent subscriber numbers for Gamepass that were released, in the not too distant future let's say 10m are paying for Gamepass accounts avg $8/month (as more people roll off introductory offers into full subs).

It's pretty easy to see that being worth a billion a year in revenue.

And I highly doubt MS are spending close to a billion on locen5sing the content on Gamepass.

All MS is doing is building a subscriber base and then splitting the revenue with those Devs who want in.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of the VIP pass, but I had a good time with the game. It's really good and worth checking out if you insist on buying it. Best racer I've played this gen.
All I knew about it was from a review, there's more than double credits looking at the page.

"Forza Horizon 4 VIP Membership features more exclusive rewards than ever before. VIPs receive 3 Exclusive Forza Edition cars, VIP Crown Flair, VIP Vanity Items, VIP Emote and Car Horn, Free Player House, 2x Credit race rewards, weekly bonus Super Wheelspins, and more. VIP Membership can be purchased separately and is included with Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate Edition. Become a VIP today!"

Buy Forza Horizon 4 VIP | Xbox

Forza Horizon 4 VIP Membership features more exclusive rewards than ever before. VIPs receive 3 Exclusive Forza Edition cars, VIP Crown Flair, VIP Vanity Items, VIP Emote and Car Horn, Free Player House, 2x Credit race rewards, weekly bonus Super Wheelspins, and more. VIP Membership can be...

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
MS are definitely trying to make money on Gamepass no question, they're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

But given the recent subscriber numbers for Gamepass that were released, in the not too distant future let's say 10m are paying for Gamepass accounts avg $8/month (as more people roll off introductory offers into full subs).

It's pretty easy to see that being worth a billion a year in revenue.

And I highly doubt MS are spending close to a billion on locen5sing the content on Gamepass.

All MS is doing is building a subscriber base and then splitting the revenue with those Devs who want in.
I have a feeling the price will have to go up as more content gets added to it. If it never go up $5 on PC, and whatever it is on console, then that would be great especially for one month renting.