• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I do love all the 'but is it sustainable posts?'.

Y'all think MS or the various market analysts praising the subscription service haven't thought about this but forum dwellers do?

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I think they do. We've tried the playing console games on phones and tablets before and it wasn't something people did a lot compared to how much switch are out there. I don't expect this to change.
Care to provide examples?

The idea of playing BotW on a TV, and then undocking it and continuing to play it, and playing Halo Infinite on your Xbox, and then booting it up on your tablet through Xcloud is the same. Just different means to get to the same outcome.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a learning period of course.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I like a big variety of games. Don't get me wrong there are some games on gamepass that I would like or have already played and enjoyed. However I have a pc, PS4 pro and a switch and there is nothing on gamepass that is having my attention at the moment.
I have had gamepass pc since near launch and have played:
gears of War 1, enjoyed but didn't feel in a rush to play another one.
banner saga 1&2 (enjoyed),
Outer worlds, enjoyed but found it a bit lightweight
Vampyr - was enjoying but the game left gamepass before I finished it,
Plague tale - kind of enjoyed but clearly haven't found it very compelling as I haven't been back to it for a long time

So I am not getting good value and should probably drop it. The price is low enough that I haven't bothered to yet!

To me, this is what they are going for. It doesn't matter if they release games every month that someone wants to play, as long as they release them "early enough" before someone finally realizes that spending money for nothing isn't really worth it. Doesn't matter how cheap it is if you aren't using it. It seems like some have never rented a game in their life or something, and see this as revolutionary.

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Netflix used to post DVDs to people....these sort of services change over time. xCloud is on iOS now and you can use that as part of Game Pass sub. I would imagine that MS are looking at every possible device to put Game Pass on.

Hmm Netflix changed from DVDs yes, but it's a low investment. It takes nothing to sit and watch television or movies. It's much different playing video games. It's not something people just do on the go like that especially if the hardware isn't specifically built for that function. This isn't about the cloud either...I just don't think it will be normalized the way Microsoft see it. It's a big investment tho. We'll see

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
do you honestly believe that people Care that much about whether or not Microsoft make enough money on Gamepass or not? Come on...

I do care, but not about if MS makes enough money or not. I care about the business model and its implications and I simply want to talk about it without being called "concern troll" or "fanboy". I know that these people indeed exist, but it's not healthy for any discussion if you are categorized instantly as being one if you are are not cheering for Gamepass.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft wanted to just focus on the value of GamePass; they should have just saved this Showcase until September when they add xCloud support to the GamePass subscription.

I imagine most people were watching to see what Microsoft's next gen response to Sony's PS5 showcase would be. Instead Microsoft's answer was just the XSX doesn't matter since you can get these games elsewhere through GamePass.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Series X is a necessity to retain that core audience short term, nothing more. xbox are not all in on next gen in the same way Sony are with PS5, that's clear.

But IMO no, even gamepass is not the thing they want to sell first and foremost, at least not GP itself in the longer term. The real prize and potential golden goose is what gamepass offers the potential for, especially with 1P content. There's an ongoing base subscription, yes, fine, but it's not going to be sustainable on that alone. What is necessary are further ongoing payments, micro transactions, pico payments, service games that bring in more $ than one and dones ever could. This will, positively has to, alter the types of games xbox 1P produce, how they produce them, the standard to which they produce them and their cadence. It'll also affect greenlighting of third party as time goes by. This is why Halo is now Infinite and why practically everything else will lean towards this model.

There's also a potential industry-wide downside to gamepass and anything like it, that not many people consider or want to entertain, in that it devalues games themselves. It absolutely will pressure the way games are funded, designed and concieved. Gamepass might currently be allowing a number of small indies a safety net and stress-free, guaranteed path to market - we've seen a few devs state exactly this - but they'd be thinking very short-term and blinkered if they imagined this continuing off into the future if they intend to make the same kinds of games. Small one-and-done games are being brought on solely to bulk GP's current library, to swell a value proposition needed in the early phase - they're not going to be an important part of what the service is down the line. Same as when platformholders lean on Indies in early years of a platform only to go cold on them when they no longer have that use, don't be surprised to see thistory repeat here. That kind of game just isn't a long term, sustainable part of what gamepass is going to be all about. It's real future is a multitude of twists on the GaaS model with a guaranteed flat subscription fee for xbox and a series of platforms upon a platform with masses of potential to take in $s beyond the previous $60 retail game in a box.

These are some very good points. It reminds me of Apple Arcade in a way. When they first launched it the small developers were praising Apple's willingness to support small teams with these great games. Then a year into it, Apple started canceling contracts on specific games that didnt have "high replay value" because they weren't keeping people coming back to the service. It's not exactly apples to apples comparison but can certainly be seen as what the future might be for Xbox Game Pass. Yes initially it's great for all kinds of games but obviously the goal is to have games on there that keep people using the service repeatedly which lends itself more to those online games and service games. Will be interesting to see what Gamepass evolves into after a couple of years and if it actually pushes some of these developers even more into the Sony side where they are at least guaranteed higher revenues and profits since it's strictly off sales of their game and not a calculation based on downloads and use time.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo and Sony would go bankrupt if they offered this, only reasons is sustainable for Xbox is because they have MS.

It's also the reason they can invest Netflix-like money despite having a fraction of their user base.
They wouldnt go bankrupt lol - they would just make much less money then they are right now.
So there is no incentive - MS offers GamePass because their first party sales were lackluster and the games didnt sell consoles, so they had to come through with a strong service to convince outsiders to jump in.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
I like a big variety of games. Don't get me wrong there are some games on gamepass that I would like or have already played and enjoyed. However I have a pc, PS4 pro and a switch and there is nothing on gamepass that is having my attention at the moment.
I have had gamepass pc since near launch and have played:
gears of War 1, enjoyed but didn't feel in a rush to play another one.
banner saga 1&2 (enjoyed),
Outer worlds, enjoyed but found it a bit lightweight
Vampyr - was enjoying but the game left gamepass before I finished it,
Plague tale - kind of enjoyed but clearly haven't found it very compelling as I haven't been back to it for a long time

So I am not getting good value and should probably drop it. The price is low enough that I haven't bothered to yet!

I mean you played a bunch of games that would have cost you multiple times the cost of gamepass to play otherwise. How much value do you want?

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
MS/Xbox crew dropped the ball on the messaging and the showing was definitely not one that got people screaming "fuck, i need a Series X at release!"

tbh, all this "Gamepass woohoo!" stuff is annoying at this point. there are first party games on it that don´t materialize for the next years, the other stuff is third party, mostly later than the normal release. also, there are games that many people have already bought and a bunch of indie games which is cool but many people don´t care about that.

The messaging for a year has been Microsoft doesn't care if you buy a Series X.

Just buy game pass.

The presentation was bad for Series X but all of those games on that service is far more impressive than anything else.

So much of this forum continues to miss the point and I can understand why.

Oct 25, 2017
Care to provide examples?

The idea of playing BotW on a TV, and then undocking it and continuing to play it, and playing Halo Infinite on your Xbox, and then booting it up on your tablet through Xcloud is the same. Just different means to get to the same outcome.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a learning period of course.

Sony tried this with PSNOW putting it on everything known to man and it didn't work. Google Stadia is having a hard time right now and curation is not it's problem. It showed how you can do it for YouTube which is the top video service in the world but I don't think people are jived with the idea of playing video games from those devices yet.

BOTW is not running off the cloud and is on a physical console that is designed to dock on or off. It is not your smartphone that has many of different functions in which adding playing a video game requires an additional accessory. I'm not sure whats hard to get.

Xcloud is positioning itself as a play anywhere thing...but since this has been tried before, are people going to invest in that way to play. For Xbox gamers, I doubt that most people will play games like that themselves. This forum be damned but this will tire out just like the other attempts. I'll eat crow if it's widely adopted but it's not normalized right now and I doubt it will be in the future. It just aesthetically looks different and that will be the hurdle. Luckily for them, it's apart of the service so it get to pass the metric without an additional cost.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
They wouldnt go bankrupt lol - they would just make much less money then they are right now.
So there is no incentive - MS offers GamePass because their first party sales were lackluster and the games didnt sell consoles, so they had to come through with a strong service to convince outsiders to jump in.

bankurpcy was a hyperbole, yeah, but the point is Sony wouldn't gamble with their most profitable branch when there's no need to. PS users aren't fucking jealous of game pass, that's for sure.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
my "problem" with game pass is that games are very time intensive and as an adult i'd rather play what i want instead of chosing one of a selection that i get from a service like that.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
Hmm Netflix changed from DVDs yes, but it's a low investment. It takes nothing to sit and watch television or movies. It's much different playing video games. It's not something people just do on the go like that especially if the hardware isn't specifically built for that function. This isn't about the cloud either...I just don't think it will be normalized the way Microsoft see it. It's a big investment tho. We'll see

This is just gibberish.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I tried gamepass and it certainly is okay if you are looking for $/hour gaming, but for something specific and long term implications of AAA games being designed with coming to GP day1 in mind I am against it.

Being honest I am not sure where Xbox is right now. Are the games in general less interesting for me personally? Was what was shown yesterday objectively bad? Does Halo Infinite look like an open world game being developed with gamepass in mind? Are we too harsh? Is it normal in the transitional phases of console generation to be like this or are we seeing the drawbacks of developing for cross generational consoles with vastly different hardware?

One of the problems for me I guess was that they basically only showed Halo Infinite gameplay (which wasn't appealing to me) and a lot of cinematic teasers where it is hard to get excited for even if you know they are going to be on gamepass day1.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just buy game pass.

The presentation was bad for Series X but all of those games on that service is far more impressive than anything else.

Again, this would make more sense if they weren't launching directly against Sony and pushing "worlds most powerful console!" tag lines.

They may want to be more service based, but their actions around hardware remain very much entrenched in "us v them", so it's not a huge surprise people aren't getting the message 100%

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A great point

I hope gamepass is the model going forward

i would NOT want to pay 60(70?)$ for b-grade titles from sony like days gone, tsushina or ratchet... they should be included in a sub.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
bankurpcy was a hyperbole, yeah, but the point is Sony wouldn't gamble with their most profitable branch when there's no need to. PS users aren't fucking jealous of game pass, that's for sure.
Oh i agree - seems like many GamePass subs cant understand that other players might be just be happy with what is being provided on other plattforms. Its like a Netflix sub getting mad about people still watching new releases in the Theater or also having a HBO/Disney+ subscription.

Even if its a good service, not being on board doesnt mean that you have to be jealous of the service or its subs - it might just not be for you.

I feel a service like GamePass would have much bigger impact 1-2 generations ago. Nowadays there is already so much free and cheap content - time is more of a factor, especially with those ever increasing backlogs. My Steam and Switch backlog is already massive - same for the PS4 games i plan to play on PS5...when you already have access to so much content, a renting service...no matter how great just aint gonna affect you much.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
To me, this is what they are going for. It doesn't matter if they release games every month that someone wants to play, as long as they release them "early enough" before someone finally realizes that spending money for nothing isn't really worth it. Doesn't matter how cheap it is if you aren't using it. It seems like some have never rented a game in their life or something, and see this as revolutionary.

Yup, I had Gamefly for like 4+ years. I had the 2 game out model. And it was great, I had a curated library through their rental system that always seemed to pick me a as a preferred customer. SO I always got the games in my que regardless if they were hot titles or not.

After my job changed and I'm getting older, I have limited time to play that many games. That and games now are trying to keep you in their world for 60+ hours, or a lifetime aka destiny.

I'm now very selective. I think I bought a total of 4-5 brand new games this year with a couple of gems from steam sale. Still have not finished some of them. I don't have the time, so to me Gamepass isn't for me. But for someone who is trying to be a little more price conscious I see gamepass being an amazing value and easy pick for not having to go to a store and pick one game that has a 90+ on meta. Now they can play indies that they may never have picked up.

In terms of getting games into people hands, I love it. I think this helps smaller developers. My issue for me is I buy so many humble bundles that my backlog of indies is so staggering I stopped buying indies out right. There are also just too many within the same genre that overlap in my opinion.

For me buying a few games here and there at full price and on sales like at black friday works for me because of time.

My issue is not the service, it's the type of games they have I either bought like DMC 5, or MS first party IMHO are not interesting enough or even at a quality level that interests me to play them.

Maybe halo, i think gameplay wise infinite looks fun as hell. But I still have not even played Doom Eternal yet.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
Sony tried this with PSNOW putting it on everything known to man and it didn't work. Google Stadia is having a hard time right now and curation is not it's problem. It showed how you can do it for YouTube which is the top video service in the world but I don't think people are jived with the idea of playing video games from those devices yet.

BOTW is not running off the cloud and is on a physical console that is designed to dock on or off. It is not your smartphone that has many of different functions in which adding playing a video game requires an additional accessory. I'm not sure whats hard to get.

Xcloud is positioning itself as a play anywhere thing...but since this has been tried before, are people going to invest in that way to play. For Xbox gamers, I doubt that most people will play games like that themselves. This forum be damned but this will tire out just like the other attempts. I'll eat crow if it's widely adopted but it's not normalized right now and I doubt it will be in the future. It just aesthetically looks different and that will be the hurdle. Luckily for them, it's apart of the service so it get to pass the metric without an additional cost.

Sony did a half-hearted job with PS Now. Stadia doesn't have the content right now, and Google is not very familiar with the Gaming business - it shows.

I am actually really excited for xCloud in connection with Game Pass. It means that I have to clutter my living room with one plastic box less and I can play everything from the comfort of my PC in the best possible graphics quality without worrying about specs.
That all, and its success with me or other consumers, stand and fall with game streaming becoming so seamless and working perfectly that it becomes a no-brainer like Netflix does. It just has to work as they promise it to work. It might not at the start and need a few years to get there but they have to start somewhere.

It definitely helps to lower the entry barrier by making it a part of Game Pass. So I can at least give it a try and see if it convinces me without making any further investment. I wouldn't do the same with PS Now or Stadia – neither have the content that I am looking for. That is not say, however, that both these services will ultimately catch up with the content.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think if MS positioned the presentation as a "Gamepass Direct" from the start, it would have been better received overall. Trying to make the point during the presentation probably didn't have the same kind of impact, you aren't going to have people's undivided attention for an one hour long presentation.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A great point

I hope gamepass is the model going forward

i would NOT want to pay 60(70?)$ for b-grade titles from sony like days gone, tsushina or ratchet... they should be included in a sub.

Ghost of Tsushima and Ratchet are b grade now????
These threads are wild man

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just you wait. Gamepass will lead to the death of single player experiences...any day now.

I always thought that mindset was odd. Honestly I'd think gamepass would encourage more single player games sense Microsoft could make them profitable day one instead of hoping that enough people buy the game with no extra revenue streams.

Sarevok

Jul 13, 2020
Gamepass should be a norm in the industry. It gets games into spotlight and even games without huge marketing plans get recognition.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
You are trying to show growth from the Netflix then to the Netflix now to point similarities into how xcloud will be adopted. It's not the same. Whether it's gibberish or not will be determined by the future. Bye.

No, when you say it takes nothing to sit and watch TV or movies and that its different playing video games or that its not something people just do on the go it is complete gibberish.

You are trying to generalize peoples investment in different forms of entertainment to fit your argument. There are plenty of people who are laser focused watching TV or movies just like there are also people who plays games to defocus. I use Destiny for this. The mobile and phone market for gaming is huge and maybe xcloud can be good for those people.

Also, the Netflix analogy was more to say how much these sort of services can change over time. Netflix didnt start out on everything, it took time and I am sure xCloud and Game Pass will be the same.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I always thought that mindset was odd. Honestly I'd think gamepass would encourage more single player games sense Microsoft could make them profitable day one instead of hoping that enough people buy the game with no extra revenue streams.
It will, they just won't be 40 hour single player games. Probably just 10 hour single player games and that's ok because that means no bloat

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass is a great deal, but I don't know what changed yesterday vs the last couple of years. It's not like everything they showed will hit the system at or around launch, it will all be spread out over the next 2-4 years.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Guess Gamepass will be the bailout excuse everytime MS has a poor showing.
Has been the case for a while already, so thats gonna to continue.
Great service, but its not gonna be answer to every Xbox issue since the value differs from person to person.

More importantly its a known quantity - everyone knows that GamePass is massive and every first party + deal time exclusive game will show up there. If MS wanted to have the massive positive reaction they would waited with this anouncement until this event - but we have known about this for the last 2 years, nothing really changed.
So you would PREFER to pay for every single ps5 exclusive? You DONT want the option to get them in a subscription?

is that what you are saying

if that is the case - just listen to Alanah
I doubt you get games on the level of Sony first party with single player focus with such a subscription service - TLOU 2 might alone sell 20m copies. How much money does MS make per year with GamePass ? Just because it works for MS and their more service games oriented approach doesnt mean its gonna work out the same for every publisher.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Is it though or is it difficult to keep up population numbers on a brand new comeptive shooter on a console that will probably cost $500

Plus launch games are usually ass (Ryse, Resogun). Look pretty but ass

Comparing Ryse to Resogun is like comparing The Order 1886 to Geometry Wars, it's a really weird comparison.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Comparing Ryse to Resogun is like comparing The Order 1886 to Geometry Wars, it's a really weird comparison.
There wasn't much to grab from my launch PS4, should I have said Dont Starve or DC Online.

We are talking console launches right. Should I have said Knack, not that I would ever willingly buy that game (but did play at a later date when it was free)

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
This is why that showcase was weird, it seemed like they were trying to sell game pass on not series x. I do think game pass and services are their future, that seems to be the direction they want to go. So I'm not really sure why the are even producing hardware at this point. Just go full 3rd party and be done. That showcase pretty much cemented that a series x is not in my near future, the PS5 is and may upgrading my PC. This is not even a console war thought, this is just the truth, their future is services and games. Put game pass and xcloud on Switch and PS5. I think that is where they want to go and what they have been doing best for a while.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
The show marketing was all about Halo. On the pre show people said Halo every few minutes.

Sure gamepass is awesome, but the main course of the show was Halo, there is no denying that.

And Halo, while it looks to play good, graphically it's ugly.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Just buy game pass.

I know that MS is about services and not since yesterday, problem is that this approach doesn´t get people to buy a new console, there is no reason at all for that. from a console market perspective they do many things completely wrong.

besides that, i don´t care about their "get gamepass!" shows that they are doing for quite a time now and i am surely not the only person that thinks so. i will continue to buy my games physically that i am interested in just like some people still like to buy vinyl or cd´s instead of subscribing to a music streaming service.

The show marketing was all about Halo. On the pre show people said Halo every few minutes.

Sure gamepass is awesome, but the main course of the show was Halo, there is no denying that.

Because they have nothing else for their "next gen" launch this year.