• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"He may be an anarchist who has voted only once in his life, but the comics legend Alan Moore is calling on his fans to oppose the "rapacious, smirking rightwing parasites" currently in government and join him in voting Labour.
UK voters may find choosing between Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn unappealing, but the comics legend is in no doubt, declaring "some leaders are so unbelievably malevolent and catastrophic that they must be strenuously opposed by any means available".

(...)

"Please get out there on polling day and make your voice heard with a vote against this heartless trampling of everybody's safety, dignity and dreams," he said. "A world we love is counting on us. If we'd prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting – even passively – this ravenous, insatiable Conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert."
(...)

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I hope things get better over there, for everybody. I've heard some not so great experiences that minority groups have gone through.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
He isn't dropping Anarchism because he is participating in an election lol

Intentionaly misleading title from the Guardian

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's a really terrible time to protest vote. Right wing parties around the world have gone bat shit crazy recently, so there really isn't "the lesser of two evils anymore." It's fascism vs. no fascism now.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope things get better over there, for everybody. I've heard some not so great experiences that minority groups have gone through.
I'm dreading this shit so bad I can't sleep at times, the last few weeks have been particularly bad. I'm honestly terrified about what might happen.
I already have the feeling that people are going to let us down and vote in the Tories or Lib Dems, parties who'll either make it worse or keep us in the same situation, I'm not sure what that'll do for my mental state but we'll see.

So many play with politics like it's a game, in my case it may be life or death...shit, sorry for rambling.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
Weird headline, he's still an Anarchist.

But he's right to lend his support to the Labour party. More austerity will be terrible for the British working class and the only hope for serious structural change is via a Labour government.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah shit is getting serious, I doubt it will have much effect though. I've seen the people around me they either don't care, don't understand or will vote Boris, because Corbyn is an evil racist terorrist.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
The World will look up and shout "Save Us" and I'll whisper....

....Please get out there on polling day and make your voice heard with a vote against this heartless trampling of everybody's safety, dignity and dreams," he said. "A world we love is counting on us. If we'd prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting – even passively – this ravenous, insatiable Conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert."

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with a lot of what Moore has said/written over the years, but I do agree with everything in this letter.
Yeah, I thought it was important that people actually read how he announced his decision to vote Labour as I know people are 50/50 on Moore.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The World will look up and shout "Save Us" and I'll whisper....

....Please get out there on polling day and make your voice heard with a vote against this heartless trampling of everybody's safety, dignity and dreams," he said. "A world we love is counting on us. If we'd prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting – even passively – this ravenous, insatiable Conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert."
Heck, I laughed. Would be better in comic form.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I would love to see Alan Moore debate Frank Miller sometime. Two critically-acclaimed comic writers, both batshit insane, and completely opposite politics.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Crap headline. It isn't "dropping anarchism" to realize that you can use electoral politics to minimize harm and stick it the chuds. Utilizing something at your disposal is different from wholeheartedly endorsing it as a good system.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see Alan Moore debate Frank Miller sometime. Two critically-acclaimed comic writers, both batshit insane, and completely opposite politics.
Moore did a takedown way back in 2011 when Miller was in full islamophobia mode with Holy Terror and attacking Occupy.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/dec/06/alan-moore-frank-miller-row
Who knows what it would be like know though, since Miller has admitted he went over the line back then and said he voted for Hilary.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
Couldn't have asked for a better treat than my favourite living writer penning a passionate (and, as always, beautifully worded) condemnation of the Tories.

Considering his track record with entities that have previously betrayed him, the fact he has praise for Labour's current programme is a real sign of how much of a break it is with the neoliberal era. Take note.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I'm dreading this shit so bad I can't sleep at times, the last few weeks have been particularly bad. I'm honestly terrified about what might happen.
I already have the feeling that people are going to let us down and vote in the Tories or Lib Dems, parties who'll either make it worse or keep us in the same situation, I'm not sure what that'll do for my mental state but we'll see.

So many play with politics like it's a game, in my case it may be life or death...shit, sorry for rambling.

It's fine, it helps to express your worries, and you've done it in a way that's not destructive by nature. I'm hoping all goes well for you guys over there. I'm sure for some groups, or families coming from money, politics is an exercise in gaining clout. If people get negatively impacted, then its fine as long as they're not THE RIGHT KIND of people. Politicians are a piece of work. Stay positive, look for opportunities that will make your future all the more better. All the same good luck out there.