• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Welp here's to another term. These SOBs love power too damn much.

It doesn't even feel like a joke anymore to say that if Trump gets a second term, there's going to be a third and a fourth, followed by a "first term for life" for Ivanka followed by one for Barron once traditional family monarchial bloodlines are passed by Senate and the Supreme Court.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
so if trump killed biden or somebody else and believed it would be in the interest in the country it would be okay?
This opens the door for a President to order the arrest of his political rivals ala Putin because it's in the "best interest of the country" or, for that matter, just killing them outright.
Really makes one wonder if Trump didn't make good on his "lock her up" promises after the election merely because he and his core group of henchmen didn't yet know what they could get away with...

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This theory is absolute nonsense but what do I know.

They haven't. This legal theory was presented "assuming arguendo". Even if the facts were as we (the Democratic Party) contend that the law would prevent us from prevailing.

tenor.gif

Ah. Well. Never mind then.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Really makes one wonder if Trump didn't make good on his "lock her up" promises after the election merely because he and his core group of henchmen didn't yet know what they could get away with...

Maybe he's saving that for his second term. They know better now, and they know if they secure a second term, that's basically Carte Blanche to start the 1000 Year MAGA Reich.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Your Honor, this case is different.

This bribery was heroic and honorable. Not like every other case in recorded history where it was slimy and self serving.

That shit is straight from the law school of Lionel Hutz.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah yes, the "if the president does it, it isn't illegal" defense. Worked well for Nixon.

That's the thing, it didn't. Back then the Republican Party still had some membership who put nation above party and Nixon resigned because he would have been impeached and removed.

Fast-forward to today and we have a president who is demonstrably more corrupt than Nixon ever was and who has engaged in crime after crime yet getting even a handful of GOP dissenters to side with the Democrats is nearly impossible.

Ralph Nader once spoke of the de-evolution of the GOP and how what was coming down the line would make presidents like Reagan and Bush Sr. look damn-near tame by comparison.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Your Honor, this case is different.

This bribery was heroic and honorable. Not like every other case in recorded history where it was slimy and self serving.

That shit is straight from the law school of Lionel Hutz.

And to think that once upon a time he was considered as one of the brightest legal minds in US history.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like that question i heard about 'if a president takes a 1 year vacation and doesnt do anything but sit on his butt, is that impeachable?'

Its not a crime to take vacation but of course you would want that mother fucker impeached.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Sad part is, it is still the most likely outcome that the GOP ends up saying this sort of thing is the new normal by "acquitting". Even though they all admit he did it, but again, they move the goal post constantly.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't even feel like a joke anymore to say that if Trump gets a second term, there's going to be a third and a fourth, followed by a "first term for life" for Ivanka followed by one for Barron once traditional family monarchial bloodlines are passed by Senate and the Supreme Court.

It's not hyperbolic to state that there will be a war in this nation before that happens.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like season 5 of House of Cards

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I like that question i heard about 'if a president takes a 1 year vacation and doesnt do anything but sit on his butt, is that impeachable?'

Its not a crime to take vacation but of course you would want that mother fucker impeached.

W took over a thousand days worth of vacation over his 8 years.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I just had a brain meltdown reading some of the responses to this tweet. One person with a Dharia (sp?) avatar was making some of the stupidest arguments I'd ever read. I actually started typing a response and ... just realized how pointless it was.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Just so we're clear...what is the exact amount of crimes you're allowed to commit in pursuit of re-election if you believe it in the people's best interest? I mean, surely you can't have someone murdered, so there's gotta be a line somewhere. I want Dershowitz to explain where exactly that line is.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Just so we're clear...what is the exact amount of crimes you're allowed to commit in pursuit of re-election if you believe it in the people's best interest? I mean, surely you can't have someone murdered, so there's gotta be a line somewhere. I want Dershowitz to explain where exactly that line is.
I'm sure they'd huff and puff at the insinuation, and "I don't engage in hypotheticals," etc.

remiri

Nov 1, 2017
Your Honor, my opponent in the General Election was on 5th Avenue, I had to gun him down since it would help my election.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
It would behoove people to not yell "HOW HIGH?" when he says "Jump!" in this situation. It's what he NEEDS.

x0yh0Be.jpg

Cuz when you drop your demands of represenative democracy (as the unalienable rights would bequeath to you), to their demands of getting off scot-free via the destruction of the county, you enshrine the latter as The Reality and destroy the former's time as The Reality.

That's what propagandists DO. They do psy ops, threaten, decieve, cheat. Call it and fight.

Haha...holy shit...you cannot make this up.

This fuckin' guy...

His argument literally makes no sense. He's arguing for the elevation of the presidency over any sort of scrutiny or checks and balances...akin to that of a dictator or mob boss.

These old fuckers are collectively out of their minds. I think leaded gasoline has severely impinged the entire baby boomer generation.

Because he wants to be dictator and mob boss, and ACTUAL dictators and mob bosses need him to skate. Too bad they got Epstein's lawyers, $25k Get Out Of Fraud Fee AG, and some low-energy Lionel Hutz-looking mofo out there cuz that's all they could get to come/blackmail.

Never saw that quote before. Figures he was ambulance chasing with no shame defending the worst of society without shame back then too.

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
The fact that I even have to ask should speak volumes, but...is this real?
Dershowitz was indeed quoted as making this statement, in an Associated Press article on Nov. 21, 1974. It was during the trial of several figures connected to the administration of Nixon (who had resigned three months earlier) for their part in plotting "to obstruct the investigation of June 17, 1972, break‐in at the Democratic national headquarters at the Watergate complex."

From the article in question:
The jury now hearing the Watergate coverup trial is confined where news of the trial cannot reach it and possibly affect its deliberations.
Nonetheless, U.S. District Court Judge John Sirica should have moved the trial from Washington to insure an impartial jury, Bailey and Dershowitz said.
"I'm not happy seeing Richad Nixon's gang being tried by blacks and liberals in the Disrict of Columbia," said Dershowitz.
He thought it would have been "a lot fairer" to have moved the trial to "a district of Maryland where [the 1972 election] was very close, and where you had a mixture of whites and blacks."
A majority of the Watergate coverup jury is black.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this right. They wanted to throw this whole thing out because they claimed it was not enough to impeach a president over and it would set a dangerous precedent for future presidents being able to be removed for small issues no matter the political party, now they are all "presidents can do whatever the hell they want if they want to be re-elected!"

Makes sense.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
So let me get this right. They wanted to throw this whole thing out because they claimed it was not enough to impeach a president over and it would set a dangerous precedent for future presidents being able to be removed for small issues no matter the political party, now they are all "presidents can do whatever the hell they want if they want to be re-elected!"

Makes sense.

Until another President wears a salmon pink suit. Or salutes a soldier with only an index finger. Or is a visible minority, female and gay. In which case Rule of Law will be the order of day, and Republicans will scream, "WE KNOW WE SAID THE PRESIDENT CAN DO ANYTHING, BUT THERE ARE LAWS, AND NO PRESIDENT IS ABOVE THEM!"

Then the goalposts will shift right back, and Trump supporters will claim they've always respected rule of law, and delete their Trump administration posts claiming rule of law is a liberal conspiracy.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
I was almost impressed by the ballsiness of this insanity. If anything I now want to read up on Dershowitz and see what other crazy bullshit is in his past.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Bunch of idiot repubs and cons.
They'll do and say anything dangerous and treasonous to stay in power.

They need to be categorized as an illegal organization like post-WWII Germany did to the Nazis.