• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

Trump attorney Alan Dershowitz, responding to a question from Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) about whether it matters if there was a quid pro quo, argued that it didn't if the president believed he was acting in the nation's interest.
And, Dershowitz said, Trump believes that him staying president is in the public's interest.
Every public official, Dershowitz said, "believes that his election is in the public interest. If a president does something which he believes will help him get elected in the public interest, that cannot be the kind of quid pro quo that results in impeachment."
Dershowitz said it shouldn't be impeachable for a president to think, "I'm a great president; I think I'm the greatest president there ever was; if I'm not elected, the national interest will suffer greatly," and act accordingly.

Dershowitz represents the fundamental belief of the Republican party - campaign finance violations, gerrymandering, blatant lies, voter suppression, election interference, and lame duck fuckery can't be wrong, because Democrats do not deserve representation.

Oct 27, 2017
A brilliant argument from the mind that advocated lowering the age of consent because he liked to party with Jeffery Epstein.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
*unless the President is Democrat because that would not be in the best interest of the country. Heil Trump! Republican Republic for life.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why Republicans just don't admit laws apply to Democrats but not to Republicans? I'm pretty sure at least 30 million Americans will agree with that. May as well go public with it and try to make it a law.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
lol

edit: i know posts are supposed to have ~more content~ or whatever, but is there anything else to say besides "lol"? i think the fuck not.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NHwJGy8.png

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah yeah, so what? He comitted a crime, a crime that helps him stay in office. But like it was a totally awesome crime that is totally in the nation's best interest! I'm a respected lawyer of law and stuff.

Dec 31, 2017
Lol...so basically remaining President is in the public's interest...so anything that ensures that is very legal and very cool.

Oct 27, 2017
Haha...holy shit...you cannot make this up.

This fuckin' guy...

His argument literally makes no sense. He's arguing for the elevation of the presidency over any sort of scrutiny or checks and balances...akin to that of a dictator or mob boss.

These old fuckers are collectively out of their minds. I think leaded gasoline has severely impinged the entire baby boomer generation.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Something something shooting a guy on Fifth Avenue. They're saying the quiet part out loud. In giant gold letters on the front of the White House. "He can get away with anything. Literally anything."

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
What does the fucking Supreme Court judge sitting behind him think about this?

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah yeah, so what? He comitted a crime, a crime that helps him stay in office. But like it was a totally awesome crime that is totally in the nation's best interest! I'm a respected lawyer of law and stuff.

This is driving me nuts from the republicans.

"Wow I feel so much better now. This guy that the president hired to defend him said that there is nothing impeachable about what he did. Really give me totally valid cover to vote against removal."

Pretty much the same as:

(tons of evidence shows that this guy murdered someone)
"The accused murder's lawyer said his client is innocent. Guess I should vote not guilty now."

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Be right back, I'm going to go commit a random crime and then get off by saying that I believed it would make the country better.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So you can only impeach a president that believes he is not the best for the country. Okay, I get it.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Every time I tune in, the republicans have an incredibly weak defense. Nothing surprising here.

Oct 29, 2017
So you can only impeach a president that believes he is not the best for the country. Okay, I get it.

But in the same breath they are saying that it is impossible to tell what was/is in the president's mind as he commits these acts/crimes. So on one hand they want to say that he believed he was acting in the best interest of country, and on the other hand saying there's no way to tell what he believed or was thinking in these moments.

They're just talking and talking and saying nothing.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
How does Trump, a liar/cheat/failed business man/intellectual midget/general scumbag, get these people to basically take a bullet for him?

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Advocating Violence; Numerous Prior Bans for Advocating Violence
Be right back, I'm going to go commit a random crime and then get off by saying that I believed it would make the country better.

Eliminate McConnell, Graham, Trump, his sons, Kushner, Nunes, etc for the greater good of the country.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Dershowitz calling Trump corrupt in 2016 when omparing to Clinton:

"When you compare that to what Trump has done with Trump University, with so many other things, I think there's no comparison between who has engaged in more corruption and who is more likely to continue that if elected President of the United States,"

remiri

Nov 1, 2017
Ah yes, the "if the president does it, it isn't illegal" defense. Worked well for Nixon.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Well, his country club privileges on the Cape has been permanently revoked...

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Why even bother with this pretense? Just come out and say, "Trump is our dictator now, he can do whatever he wants". His base would be fine with that, and I don't know if swing voters are paying enough attention to notice.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
This is the kind of statement that, if said to you in a debate, would cause you to stop and recalibrate your brain to deal with the disingenuous stupidity you're dealing with.