• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

The Alamo Drafthouse Cinema chain is planning to open its first Los Angeles location with a "soft launch" in early July in the city's downtown.

The Texas-based chain, which has 38 locations, specializes food and drink service with unique programming. It announced Wednesday that the Los Angeles site, located at the Bloc, would offer an opening slate of independent and blockbuster films, as well as repertory titles featuring classics and "hard-to-find" cult favorites.

The cinema chain also announced that it will expand its Alamo Season Pass subscription beta test in Los Angeles, under which members of the subscription plan will be able to watch a movie a day and reserve their seats in advance for one monthly fee. Pricing for the beta test in the L.A. theater has not yet been announced. Rachel Walker will be head of creative and programming at the location.

Hell yeah.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Whenever I see the name of this chain I always think it's a beer garden. lol

Well Central Texas is known for it's German heritage (Alamo Drafthouse is headquartered in Austin), so I can see why they chose that name (fun fact: The oldest operating business in Texas is a German Beer Garden in Downtown Austin).

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Wish they'd expand overseas to London. I've had enough of being the cinema police to morons who can't turn their phone off for two hours.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plus they're going to have the monthly subscription service, Downtown is changing the game

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy. As a Texas native I love it so much. I've been out of cities/out of state the past 6 months and outside of friends and family it's the next thing I miss. The food is delicious, and not having to deal with kids (unless past a certain age and accompanied by an adult), loud talkers, or phone surfing assholes was the best.

I don't go to movies as much by myself but if I had a local alamo drafthouse, I'd be going by myself more often just for the food and beer.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Fucking Finally. Why did it take so long to build this thing after being announced like 5 years ago?

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My opinion of them has waned slightly in the past few years now as their food/beverage quality has steadily decreased to a pretty embarrassing level. Regardless, I still attend showings where managers throw out awful teenagers and shitheads on their phones so it's hard to be too angry at them. I love the fact that their strict policies have begun to leak out into other similar chains.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It says you can rent movies for free, is that with the paid membership only or is it like a library card?

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
It says you can rent movies for free, is that with the paid membership only or is it like a library card?
You need to sign up for their loyalty rewards program (free) and watch 50+ movies at the theater in a year. Not sure how it works with the theater season pass, probably a monthly cap on the movies counted towards the loyalty program or maybe they just count money spent at the concession stand.

Rental Prices and Late Fees:
  • Video rentals are $2.99 for a 4 day rental. If there are DVD extras discs, those are included free of charge.
    • If you rent 4 movies you get your 5th rental FREE!
    • Victory Top Brass members get two free rentals a day!

wxLPpIv.png

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
Alamo Drafthouse is amazing. The only place I'll go to check out a movie at this point (outside of the Drive-In). They're all about making the experience what it should be so you don't have to listen to people talking over the movie, kids screaming, people checking their phones, etc... Los Angeles' movie-goers are going to love it.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Alamo Drafthouse coming to Atlanta:

giphy.gif

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, now let's get one in the Philly area; maybe I'd start going to the movies again. Enjoy, you lucky bastards: