• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. I haven't seen the movie, but his acting in the trailer single-handedly turned me off the movie (apart from the awful Jafar). He seemed to be able to capture none of Aladdin's rougish charm and mischief, nor his sincerity. On the other hand, Naomi Scott nailed the role of a Princess stifled by her cloistered life. She lived Jasmine. And all of this was clear from the trailer itself.

Yes Hollywood is racist, and yes, getting roles isn't easy for POC actors. But being mediocre doesn't help.
I hate that it has to be an either-or conversation, too.

Like I can't have a negative opinion on someone representing my community because, to some, any representation is good representation. Then we end up with people like Nav and Mena (less so than Nav). Ain't no downplaying of systemic issues here, I'd just rather not the flag bearers or people who are supposed to open doors be tightening the locks instead.

And I'm sure those people clamoring for any form of representation can also understand what it's like to be told what your community should do to represent itself.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dude was great, but he's not white, and Hollywood has a limited number of evil henchmen roles to go around. Because let's face it, that's all the rest of Hollywood will look for.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Avatar... Sam worthington kept getting roles, and he is a shit actor.

Speaking objectively, both movies made billions, why is Sam able to get roles while Mena cannot?
Speaking of Worthington, he was cast on Clash of the Titans and Terminator Salvation before Avatar was even out, solely on the "strength" of being the lead on an upcoming James Cameron blockbuster. He doesn't get many or any major roles anymore.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I hate that it has to be an either-or conversation, too.

Like I can't have a negative opinion on someone representing my community because, to some, any representation is good representation. Then we end up with people like Nav and Mena (less so than Nav). Ain't no downplaying of systemic issues here, I'd just rather not the flag bearers or people who are supposed to open doors be tightening the locks instead.

And I'm sure those people clamoring for any form of representation can also understand what it's like to be told what your community should do to represent itself.
That's what I was thinking too. Even on super progressive forums like Era, there's this underlying (quietly racist) assumption that all POCs support (or should support) all other POCs. We're people, just like white people, and have a variety of opinions. Why's that so hard to understand.

There are probably dozens of incredibly talented poc actors who are facing the same problem as this guy, but who don't have the platform to air their troubles. I personally think the Aladdin movie was really bad for him, because it gave him the false notion that's he's competent at his craft. Otherwise, the rejections might have made him work a lot harder to be a better actor. Now he thinks he's already there, and instead of trying to improve his craft is lashing out at the racism in Hollywood. Not that Hollywood isn't plenty racist, but this interview is unlikely to better his chances.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah but it didn't make sense in the context of my post which was replying to Middle Eastern or Muslim actors.
The first part was about Ali and things he has said in the past. I used the Lance interview to support that this type of thing has been going on forever.

And either way the sarcasm in my reply was so obvious.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a meritocracy, you should have figured this out by now. You're conveniently forgetting all the mediocre-to-bad white actors having no problems with getting work after big movies.
im not forgetting, i just dont think he was good and that can also play a part in him not getting roles. like it was stated in the article, Rami Malek aint having trouble finding work. He was just in an Oscar winning film (whether or not it deserved those awards is another story) and is the next bond villain. is systemic racism playing a role in this actor not getting callbacks or offers or auditions? most assuredly, that's probably 75% of the pie right there, but it doesnt help that he isnt very engaging as an actor either, but I guess he also has a show on Hulu, so its not all so bad.

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first part was about Ali and things he has said in the past. I used the Lance interview to support that this type of thing has been going on forever.

And either way the sarcasm in my reply was so obvious.
Oh I got that, once again it just didn't seem right in the context of my post. Perhaps explaining a bit why your posting this clip might've helped.

Oct 26, 2017
He knows his is the third name with a prominent Egyptian background that has gained any kind of visibility in Hollywood since the 1960s. He'll have to work harder for the opportunities in an industry that won't rub two pennies to expand diverse representation.

im not forgetting, i just dont think he was good and that can also play a part in him not getting roles. like it was stated in the article, Rami Malek aint having trouble finding work. He was just in an Oscar winning film (whether or not it deserved those awards is another story) and is the next bond villain. is systemic racism playing a role in this actor not getting callbacks or offers or auditions? most assuredly, that's probably 75% of the pie right there, but it doesnt help that he isnt very engaging as an actor either, but I guess he also has a show on Hulu, so its not all so bad.

A lot of assumptions here . Going back to Rami though, Rami isn't having trouble now. He's talked plenty about his hardships in the industry over the course of some 16 years that he's been in it. He's had his share of difficulties too and he had to play a lot of white people to get to where he is now. Look back on his history and see how many Adam, Josh Clark, Will , Kenny and Andy roles he's had to play.

Last edited:

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Daniel Radcliffe is in a lot of movies and on a lot of theatre productions.

Just because he's not in popcorn movies like a new Harry Potter or this forum's sacred cow of Feige, doesn't mean he doesn't get work.

And him not being a leading man has probably more to do with him being very short. You can fake Tom Cruise or Al Pacino 5'7" but not with Radcliffe's 5'4" or whatever.

He also chooses to do smaller films along with TV and stage performances. You don't see him in big stuff because it doesn't interest him.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
He's better off going to streaming TV. Just because he did Aladdin doesn't suddenly make him Chris MCU.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Hollywood can be racist as shit, but I have no sympathy specifically for Massoud. It's been five months. Not to mention he's being disingenuous, as he immediately landed follow-up roles after Aladdin wrapped (but before the release).

Though, it's a shrewd PR campaign. It may actually payout for him.

Oct 26, 2017
He knows his is the third name with a prominent Egyptian background that has gained any kind of visibility in Hollywood since the 1960s. He'll have to work harder for the opportunities in an industry that won't rub two pennies to expand diverse representation.

A lot of assumptions here . Going back to Rami though, Rami isn't having trouble now. He's talked plenty about his hardships in the industry over the course of some 16 years that he's been in it. He's had his share of difficulties too and he had to play a lot of white people to get to where he is now. Look back on his history and see how many Adam, Josh Clark, Will , Kenny and Andy roles he's had to play.
Yup. Look at his work in stuff like Until Dawn and the Need For Speed film. He basically had to whitewash himself to play those roles.

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
If the dude isn't getting auditions, the first course of action is to probably get a new agent. The agent should be setting up auditions, etc.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
So you understand Hollywood can be racist but have no sympathy for an actor who is being impacted by it because "it's been five months."

Cool.

Speaking of disingenuous statements, I was clear the reason I have no sympathy for Massoud is because he's being disingenuous regarding his post-Aladdin prospects to get some buzz going. He immediately landed post-Aladdin roles after the movie wrapped.

CaughtBeing

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But he doesn't ?
His last big role for Hollywood was in 2012.

You are wrong. He kept getting 'roles', I didn't argue big or small. He is going to be in Avatar 2 and Avatar 3, big. The point is, Sam has a steady steam of movies he will be staring. When the argument being made is that Mena is not able to get role because he was bad in Aladdin(I disagree on here) is being disingenuous.

CaughtBeing

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Worthington, he was cast on Clash of the Titans and Terminator Salvation before Avatar was even out, solely on the "strength" of being the lead on an upcoming James Cameron blockbuster. He doesn't get many or any major roles anymore.

The point remains, he still has a chance to get a role. He is able to 'audition'.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of disingenuous statements, I was clear the reason I have no sympathy for Massoud is because he's being disingenuous regarding his post-Aladdin prospects to get some buzz going. He immediately landed post-Aladdin roles after the movie wrapped.
It's still a fact that he hasn't had any auditions in over half a year.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't write a character with a note saying a specific race, they tend to just default to white. Even if you write "Asian" or "Black", once the production company gets there hands on it they will probably default to white, unless you use their race in the context of the story. It is easier for bigger budgeted movies to have diverse casts because those movies are more apt to be profitable, unfortunately many mid/low budget movies, unless the movie's story depends on a characters' race, will default to white.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

He is the male lead in one of the biggest movies of all time.

If he were white, he would have gotten multiple auditions in that 5 month period. That's the problem. And you are tying to brush off a legitimate issue by moving the goalposts.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
And he also complained about getting opportunities until recently. This isn't anything new.

This reminds me of when Bobby Lee saw Steven Yeun at an audition.

Yeun has been getting roles in indie and South Korea stuff though, so at least he has that.

Fucking hell, man. Both these vids irritate and sadden me so much. Bobby Lee bringing up Aaron Paul is spot on. He had tons of deals after Breaking Bad. Meanwhile I've seen Steven Yeun in fuck all.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Insider insight: Hollywood is conditioned to imagine the midwest as its target demographic. This affects the way even prospective/spec writers select their subject matter. So the entrenched racism exerts its influence at the level of conception: at the DNA level of potential scripts, before you even get to character.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
He is the male lead in one of the biggest movies of all time.

If he were white, he would have gotten multiple auditions in that 5 month period. That's the problem. And you are tying to brush off a legitimate issue by moving the goalposts.

He's attempting to establish a narrative that he hasn't gotten any work since Aladdin because he is a person of color Muslim. It's disingenuous. Post Aladdin's May 2019 release he has had another movie and a major TV show role. Very few actors receive that much exposure, income, or opportunity in a calendar year.

EDITED. I was misinformed of his religion.

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
He's attempting to establish a narrative that he hasn't gotten any work since Aladdin because he is Muslim. It's disingenuous. Post Aladdin's May 2019 release he has had another movie and a major TV show role. Very few actors receive that much exposure, income, or opportunity in a calendar year.
He's talking about auditions. Actors should be going to those on a regular basis.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not even auditions ? Thats rough.
Seems like Production companies are not interested or willing to pay what they think he would be charging post his Disney gig.
Its messed up for us minorities out there,

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis