• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strifel

Oct 13, 2021
User warned: Recent pattern of spamming low effort threads
Really fun platformer, this game was great with satisfying gameplay and levels.

images

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
My younger brother had this and I would play it all the time. The animation quality was absurd for a Game Boy Color game.

YouTube doesn't do it justice but it looks really nice IRL.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
They ported the Genesis version on a Nintendo console ?!?!
It's the version Disney "likes," (their animators worked on it, has the movie's music, etc,) so it's the one that got chosen for a very late port lol. They didn't have to bug Capcom for their SNES version, either!

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The Game Boy Color version is actually something of an enhanced port of the original Game Boy version, which itself was a handheld recreation of the Genesis version. An up port of a down port, so to speak. The GBC version has much better animation, the stages have a bunch of newly drawn background assets, the framerate is improved, and the game controls much more smoothly.

The North American boxart for the game claims that the game supports the GBC IR feature, but there's nothing in game that uses it. It more than likely was going to have UbiKey support at some point; UbiKey was a neat little thing where there'd be a hidden Ubisoft Key stashed away somewhere in Ubisoft GBC games; If you found it and transferred it to another Ubisoft GBC game via the IR port, it'd unlock secrets, sometimes as small as bonus mini-games to entire secret levels.

Oct 28, 2017
They ported the Genesis version on a Nintendo console ?!?!

When the original console versions came out, Capcom still had the Disney license for Nintendo platforms (at least in the U.S.). For other platforms Disney retained the rights and farmed it out to Virgin. By 1995 Capcom's Disney license had run out, so Disney and Virgin were able to release their version on the Game Boy.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
the SNES aladdin game is generally regarded as the better one right? I only had the Genesis one and man I fuckin loved it. Had no idea the gb one was a port, would have been nice to carry around

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Lmfao that warning in the OP slayed me for some reason
Hah, same. I opened it and started laughing, because when I saw the title, I immediately said to myself "oh what the fuck are we gonna have in here" And then the warning, LOL

I thought the mods hated Aladdin on Game Boy, HAH! Cracking myself up.

Aladdin on Game Boy, the mods, "Oh no you fuckin do not!"

groganos

Jan 12, 2018
Ohhhhiiiiyyyoooo
the SNES aladdin game is generally regarded as the better one right? I only had the Genesis one and man I fuckin loved it. Had no idea the gb one was a port, would have been nice to carry around
It is now but I'm fairly sure back in the release period the genesis was higher regarded probably due to the sword combat and "real disney animation." I still think the genesis was better and there's some form of revisionist history that's occurred over the last two decades but I digress.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
When the original console versions came out, Capcom still had the Disney license for Nintendo platforms (at least in the U.S.). For other platforms Disney retained the rights and farmed it out to Virgin. By 1995 Capcom's Disney license had run out, so Disney and Virgin were able to release their version on the Game Boy.
Ty for this info. Nice piece of history especially when you know how "which is the best 16 bits version" debate is.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I wasn't even aware there was a Game Boy Color version of Aladdin. I wonder what a game based on the TV show -- something like Nasira's Revenge aside, I suppose -- would've been like.

May 24, 2019
Was it this one or Game Gear with the surprisingly good 3D rooftop effect?

Edit: The bump is stranger than the OP. Were you looking back into the pages of abandoned gaming topics or searching for Game Boy Aladdin?

Last edited:

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
This thread is beautiful. OP getting warned was a fun laugh.

And thanks for the Aladdin memories, though I think I only ever played the SNES version.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018

Subjective to what kind of game you liked really. The SNES one felt more like Prince of Persia or a slower paced Pitfall:The Mayan Adventure while Genesis was closer to Earthworm Jim or both ports of Lion King/ The Jungle Book in terms of flow.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It is now but I'm fairly sure back in the release period the genesis was higher regarded probably due to the sword combat and "real disney animation." I still think the genesis was better and there's some form of revisionist history that's occurred over the last two decades but I digress.
I can't speak for every playground, but at my school, the Genesis version was absolutely considered superior. And my school was primarily ruled by the SNES kids.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

The gameplay of the snes one is better but it's an absurdly easy game. I prefer the megadrive one personally, esp the new final cut version.