• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the dancing fun? Yes. is it Good? God No. As someone who watched lots of Indian films, and has an extended Indian family, it's shocking how bad the choreography is.

My (controversial and bold) conclusion? This movie is considered good by people who don't know any better.
What are some better films that you can recommend, Indian or otherwise?

I enjoyed the song & dance routines in Aladdin as well as some of the action sequences, but felt that the rest was kinda lacking. I would certainly like to see something similar but with more flair.

There's a large Indian community in town, so the local AMC actually shows a lot of recent releases in Hindi with subtitles.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
In my showing on the row behind us were a family with two girls, about 5 or 6, and the were giggling and laughing constantly once Genie showed up, it made the film even more fun as people were smiling reacting to the girls reactions. I think it's a really fun family film, I would be surprised if it had bad word of mouth.

The trailers should have included more Carpet and Abu and played up the fun side of the film.

Last edited:

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oded Fehr from the Mummy movies would have been an AMAZING Jafar, definite lost opportunity there.

Abu actually came out of this unscathed, him and carpet are basically just CG versions of the original animated versions, they were definitely the closest to how the characters were portrayed in the original film.
That's good about Abu and Carpet, fingers crossed they don't change Lion king too much, I would be totally ok with the same Audio laid over the new CGI

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oded Fehr from the Mummy movies would have been an AMAZING Jafar, definite lost opportunity there.

Already been done.

Screen-Shot-2016-10-24-at-10.06.23-AM-625x352.png

Mar 18, 2019
Audience scores:

CinemaScore - A
PostTrak - 90%
Rotten Tomatoes - 93%

This seems like yet another movie where there is a big divide between critics (and loud voices on social media) and general audiences.

On a somewhat related note, there's something I'd like to add about the movie, something that is routinely getting overlooked in most critics' reviews of the movie: what Aladdin means to people of Middle-Eastern and South-Asian heritage.

There were millions of Middle-Eastern and South-Asian kids who loved Aladdin, and identified with its cast, because they could see themselves in it. Despite the old Aladdin having problematic stereotypes, it was the closest thing that Middle-Eastern and South-Asian kids had to any sort of positive representation in Hollywood, warts and all. And since then, there haven't been any Hollywood blockbusters with a positive portrayal of the Middle East.

The Aladdin remake is the first time in decades that a big-budget Hollywood movie has come along actually presenting a positive portrayal of the Middle East. It does away with some of the problematic stereotypes that plagued the old Aladdin, and tries to present a more culturally and historically authentic Middle East that is more representative of the Islamic Golden Age. Aladdin also has the most ethnically and racially diverse cast ever seen in a Disney movie (which is appropriate, since classical Baghdad was the world's biggest and most diverse city of the Middle Ages). Which makes this an important movie, especially for people of Middle-Eastern and South-Asian heritage.

Yet I don't see this mentioned in critics' reviews. If it was a Marvel movie, they'd be showering it with praise for diversity and representation. Yet when it comes to Aladdin, critics are instead trying to tear the movie down, trying to destroy (intentionally or unintentionally) whatever little positive representation that Middle-Eastern and/or South-Asian people have in mainstream Hollywood.

In other words, I'm kind of glad that audiences are ignoring the critics (yet again). The critics may refuse to acknowledge it, but I believe Aladdin will be an important movie, especially for people of Middle-Eastern and South-Asian heritage, comparable to what Black Panther means to African-Americans, and what Crazy Rich Asians means to East/Southeast-Asian Americans.

Last edited:

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
The only truly "bad" thing here is this take and the one you're defending. Insinuating that only idiots enjoy Aladdin is preposterous, pretentious, and offensive.
I don't think saying people that enjoy aladin don't know any better necessarily mean you're calling them idiots, there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity. While the disconnect is not as big man of steel and batman v superman have positive audience scores and negative critic reviews, that doesn't mean those movies are good. The first time i watched man of steel I thought it was a decently fun movie but as time has gone on i've become more aware of the problems with that movie and my opinion changed.

What are you talking about? Besides looking like a fool.
I'm saying that the movie is not that great and just because people liked it doesn't make it good

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Damn, was he at least better than the guy in the movie? He already looks way better in this still.

The Aladdin remake is the first time in decades that a big-budget Hollywood movie has come along actually presenting a positive portrayal of the Middle East. It does away with some of the problematic stereotypes that plagued the old Aladdin, and tries to present a more culturally and historically authentic Middle East that is more representative of the Islamic Golden Age. Aladdin also has the most ethnically and racially diverse cast ever seen in a Disney movie (which is appropriate, since classical Baghdad was the world's biggest and most diverse city of the Middle Ages). Which makes this an important movie, especially for people of Middle-Eastern and South-Asian heritage.

Yet I don't see this mentioned in critics' reviews. If it was a Marvel movie, they'd be showering it with praise for diversity and representation. Yet when it comes to Aladdin, critics are instead trying to tear the movie down, trying to destroy (intentionally or unintentionally) whatever little positive representation that Middle-Eastern and/or South-Asian people have in mainstream Hollywood.

In other words, I'm kind of glad that audiences are ignoring the critics (yet again). The critics may refuse to acknowledge it, but I believe Aladdin will be an important movie, especially for people of Middle-Eastern and South-Asian heritage, comparable to what Black Panther means to African-Americans, and what Crazy Rich Asians means to East/Southeast-Asian Americans.
I thought the same thing, honestly shows the hypocrisy of some of these critics, it's also something my dad thought about the original movie, that it gave Middle Eastern kids someone they could admire and play pretend of their own in Aladdin and Jasmine. What happened to "representation matters" for Aladdin and Disney properties?

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019
I thought the same thing, honestly shows the hypocrisy of some of these critics, it's also something my dad thought about the original movie, that it gave Middle Eastern kids someone they could admire and play pretend of their own in Aladdin and Jasmine. What happened to "representation matters" for Aladdin and Disney properties?
On the one hand, critics praise Black Panther for strong African and African-American representation, Crazy Rich Asians for strong East-Asian and Southeast-Asian representation, and Frozen and Captain Marvel for strong female representation.

Yet on the other hand, critics bash movies like Bohemian Rhapsody (representing a gay Persian-Indian refugee played by an Egyptian-Canadian actor), Alita (which has a diverse cast and crew, with strong female and Latinx representation) and Aladdin (which has the most diverse cast in any Disney live-action movie, with strong female, Middle-Eastern, South-Asian and African-American representation).

According to critics, "representation matters" for some movies, yet doesn't matter for other movies. The double-standards of critics is puzzling.

Last edited:

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Audience scores:

CinemaScore - A
PostTrak - 90%
Rotten Tomatoes - 93%

This seems like yet another movie where there is a big divide between critics (and loud voices on social media) and general audiences.

On a somewhat related note, there's something I'd like to add about the movie, something that is routinely getting overlooked in most critics' reviews of the movie: what Aladdin means to people of Middle-Eastern and South-Asian heritage.

There were millions of Middle-Eastern and South-Asian kids who loved Aladdin, and identified with its cast, because they could see themselves in it. Despite the old Aladdin having problematic stereotypes, it was the closest thing that Middle-Eastern and South-Asian kids had to any sort of positive representation in Hollywood, warts and all. And since then, there haven't been any Hollywood blockbusters with a positive portrayal of the Middle East.

Good post. I hadn't considered it through those lenses.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just saw the movie.

It was decent apart from Jafar. The actor they got to play him is completely wrong for the part and does a terrible job. He isn't menacing at all. When they do a sequel, hopefully they recast him.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, critics praise Black Panther for strong African and African-American representation, Crazy Rich Asians for strong East-Asian and Southeast-Asian representation, and Frozen and Captain Marvel for strong female representation.

Yet on the other hand, critics bash movies like Bohemian Rhapsody (representing a gay Persian-Indian refugee played by an Egyptian-Canadian actor), Alita (which has a diverse cast and crew, with strong female and Latinx representation) and Aladdin (which has the most diverse cast in any Disney live-action movie, with strong female, Middle-Eastern, South-Asian and African-American representation).

According to critics, "representation matters" for some movies, yet doesn't matter for other movies. The double-standards of critics is puzzling.
I know this post is super old but I have to point out that those movies in the latter group got bashed because they were bad movies...

Representation matters but the movie has to be good, too.

Just saw the movie.

It was decent apart from Jafar. The actor they got to play him is completely wrong for the part and does a terrible job. He isn't menacing at all. When they do a sequel, hopefully they recast him.
Worst part of the film, for sure. Jafar is the best & most important character in the original and he completely drags the remake down.

Not that it needed any help, tbh.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

Bohemian Rhapsody is a bad argument to make, as the movie did its best to villify all the gay characters in the movie, even Freddie Mercury himself, with zero basis in reality.

Mar 18, 2019
I know this post is super old but I have to point out that those movies in the latter group got bashed because they were bad movies...

Representation matters but the movie has to be good, too.
Except for the fact that the movies in the latter group all got high audience ratings. And one of them won the most Oscars this year.

Mar 18, 2019
Bohemian Rhapsody is a bad argument to make, as the movie did its best to villify all the gay characters in the movie, even Freddie Mercury himself, with zero basis in reality.
In hindsight, representation depends on how well it connects with the people being represented. Bohemian Rhapsody connected more with straight, white and East-Asian audiences than it did with the gay, South-Asian or Middle-Eastern demographics being represented. Alita connected more with white, Asian and male audiences than it did with the Latin and female demographics being represented.

Aladdin, however, did connect very well with Middle-Eastern and South-Asian audiences. It became the highest-grossing movie of all time in the Middle East, and topped the box office in India (where it's rare for Hollywood to beat Bollywood). And in America, the majority of audiences were female and non-white audiences. This would suggest that Aladdin did a very good job at representation.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except for the fact that the movies in the latter group all got high audience ratings. And one of them won the most Oscars this year.
Well, I tend to find my own opinions line up with critics more often than audiences. Audience ratings don't really mean much to me and I doubt they mean much to most people.

Oscars are a whole other matter and I think most people would also agree that the Oscars largely got it wrong this year.

Oct 25, 2017
Sad thing is Genie had way more unique personality and characterization then anything the advertisements suggested.

Jafar is the only negative I had with this.

Mar 18, 2019
Well, I tend to find my own opinions line up with critics more often than audiences. Audience ratings don't really mean much to me and I doubt they mean much to most people.

Oscars are a whole other matter and I think most people would also agree that the Oscars largely got it wrong this year.
You can't really make a judgement of what "most people" think based on critics, social media, or social circles. Critics and social media usually represent a loud minority, rather than the silent majority. When a movie like Aladdin makes more than $1 billion at the box office, then that's the silent majority speaking with their wallets. That's not to say blockbusters can't be "bad" movies, but it indicates that a ton of people clearly enjoyed the movie.

Yes, Bohemian Rhapsody was hated by critics and a loud minority on social media. But again, the silent majority spoke with their wallets at the box office, and Hollywood cast their votes at the Oscar ballot box. Some people may not agree with the choice (like almost every Oscar season), but it is what it is.

BTW, about the whole Jafar thing, the original Jafar got criticism for perpetuating Arab stereotypes. So they toned down the stereotypes in the remake... Although they probably went a bit too far with Jafar.

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this tonight on demand, and I liked it. Movie got really good when the Genie showed up and did his number.

Really enjoyed it overall. Wish I would have seen this in theaters.

Dec 22, 2017
I actually liked the casting for Jafar. He seemed like someone who could actually weasel their way into a position of power and influence and stay undetected.

Oct 27, 2017
necroing this as I finally saw this last weekend.

As someone who counts Aladdin as my favourite Disney movie (and had high standards in judging the remake), I have to say that I thought it was pretty good. It does enough to justify a new version of the story while still staying pretty faithful to the original. The cast were good and I even enjoyed some of the changes that they made.

— Initially I wasn't sold on Jafar being much younger, but I liked the idea that he was a parallel to Aladdin and could have been a road he went down if his situation never changed.
— Genie being bit more "worldly & cynical" with regards to lamp users was an interesting change but makes sense given the types of people who are after the lamp, as he points out.
— Jasmine's handmaiden was a good addition, giving Jasmine someone to bounce off of, and Dalia herself was quirky and lovable.
— Making Agrabah a Silk Road port city makes much more sense for various princes to venture to rather than the middle of the desert.
— Adding more for Jasmine's narrative path was a very good move. She was always implied by the original to be very capable in here own right and obviously not just a prize so it was great to see the logical extension of that.
— Carpet doing the Carlton dance during Friend Like Me was great Fresh Prince nod.
— Some CG stuff aside, the general transition from animation to live action was handled well, with much of the "magic" retained despite obvious changes for realism.
— The musical numbers (despite minor changes) are just as great as you remember them.
— The added dance sections were great.

— low-key though, the best part is the look on Jafar's face when Aladdin tells the Sultan "Jafar is not who you think he is". The look of incredulity is perfect. you can almost feel his urge to say "Are *YOU* really going to say that about *ME*?!"

My only three real negative points were:

— They removed Jafar's song (his spin on Prince Ali), which was delicious in its vitriol in the original.
— Jasmine's song (she was always my fav princess and I loved how they expanded on her on the remake), but I didn't like the song itself. To me it didn't feel like it fit - more like a broadway musical number than a traditional Disney song. more like something from a completely different type of musical. But that is a minor complaint.
— No way too say this other than that the majority of the named cast were very light. Some meta-commentary on colourism can definitely be made there.

Overall though, I would definitely recommend it to anyone who liked the original.

Last edited:

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
— Jasmine's song (she was always my fav princess and I loved how they expanded on her on the remake), but I didn't like the song itself. To me it didn't feel like it fit - more like a broadway musical number than a traditional Disney song. But that is a minor complaint.

Disney musical numbers are already modeled on Broadway, to a T, that's their sound. Menken is a Broadway guy and brought that sound to Disney with the Little Mermaid. I agree 'Speechless' doesn't fit in, but that's because it _doesn't_ sound like a Broadway song, it sounds like any old pop song.

Oct 27, 2017
Disney musical numbers are already modeled on Broadway, to a T, that's their sound. Menken is a Broadway guy and brought that sound to Disney with the Little Mermaid. I agree 'Speechless' doesn't fit in, but that's because it _doesn't_ sound like a Broadway song, it sounds like any old pop song.
I don't know if I'd say it was a pop song, but it definitely felt like it was from a different kind of musical than Aladdin or Lion King or any of the others you think of from the golden age. Thats what I meant at least. perhaps you're right though.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I thought any song that Will Smith wasn't a part of lacking severely. The energy of the movie overall was low compared to the animated, and definitely not as comical.

I was surprised they kept genie cross dressing in the Prince Ali song, though.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I thought any song that Will Smith wasn't a part of lacking severely. The energy of the movie overall was low compared to the animated, and definitely not as comical.

I was surprised they kept genie cross dressing in the Prince Ali song, though.
What's interesting is they got rid of timon and pumbu in lion king wearing the hula skirts and stuff.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
The climax felt kind of lame compared to the original. No fight with Jafar, no snake transformation. It just kind of ends.

Oct 25, 2017

First off, criticizing a flawed movie does not equate to "trying to tear the move down, trying to destroy whatever little positive representation". As someone else said, it still needs to be a good movie. Now, if you can name specific people or at least platforms/websites that called for increased diversity and then didn't comment at all on Aladdin's diversity, then I'd agree that's at least a bit hypocritical. But all you've done is generalize a lot of individuals with diverse opinions.

Either way, some did praise the diversity:

New Yorker negative review:
The director of the latest "Aladdin" is a middle-aged white Brit, Guy Ritchie, but the diversity of his cast is quite in keeping with the tangled roots of the tale. We have an African-American, Will Smith, as the Genie, and a Cairo-born Coptic Canadian, Mena Massoud, as Aladdin. Princess Jasmine, whom he woos, is played by Naomi Scott, whose Ugandan mother is of Gujarati Indian descent. Marwan Kenzari, a Dutch-Tunisian actor, takes the part of the dastardly vizier, Jafar. The show is deftly stolen, like a bracelet slipped from a wrist, by the Iranian-American Nasim Pedrad, famed for her impersonations on "Saturday Night Live," which run all the way—and it's a hell of a way—from Kim Kardashian to Christiane Amanpour. Here, Pedrad plays Jasmine's handmaiden, Dalia, who, in an unprecedented twist, has a crush on the Genie. Good luck with that.

Others were still concerned with the nature of the representation, whether or not you agree with them:

News.com.au
Disney and the filmmakers had a difficult balance of trying to be culturally specific and yet also pan-Arabic or subcontinent at the same time. Which means now we get a flashy dance number but not the line "Praise Allah", which the Sultan uttered in the original — and Aladdin, Jasmine and the Genie still have American accents.
The result feels clunky, a movie where all the pieces don't come together quite well enough despite good intentions.

Pakistan Express Tribune
Director Guy Ritchie doesn't do anything particularly inventive with the material and the filmmaker's decision to muddle up Arabian and Indian aesthetics is disconcerting. A western view of the eastern world that conflates different cultures as well as makes the suggestion that people of colour are interchangeable seems downright problematic.
I'm not saying I necessarily endorse these opinions -- it's complicated, particularly considering the history of the Aladdin tale. But there has absolutely been a big conversation about it in other forums. It just isn't always noted in reviews.

Mar 18, 2019
I saw the movie last week. And I really enjoyed it. It was a fun, entertaining movie, and lives up to the original. Will Smith did a great job as Genie. My favourite scene is the Jam scene.

Mar 18, 2019
First off, criticizing a flawed movie does not equate to "trying to tear the move down, trying to destroy whatever little positive representation". As someone else said, it still needs to be a good movie. Now, if you can name specific people or at least platforms/websites that called for increased diversity and then didn't comment at all on Aladdin's diversity, then I'd agree that's at least a bit hypocritical. But all you've done is generalize a lot of individuals with diverse opinions.

Either way, some did praise the diversity:

New Yorker negative review:

Others were still concerned with the nature of the representation, whether or not you agree with them:

News.com.au

Pakistan Express Tribune
I'm not saying I necessarily endorse these opinions -- it's complicated, particularly considering the history of the Aladdin tale. But there has absolutely been a big conversation about it in other forums. It just isn't always noted in reviews.
I thought it was a very good movie. And it seems that so did most audiences. But critics have differing tastes and/or standards compared to general audiences.

As for the nature of representation, I didn't think it was anymore problematic than, say, Black Panther or Crazy Rich Asians, both of which also received some criticism about their representation of African-Americans and Singaporeans, respectively. There will always be some flaws with any representation.

As for the criticism of conflating Arabic and Indian cultures, that's quite ironic coming from a Pakistani critic, since Pakistani culture itself is a product of that very conflation of Indian, Arabic and Persian cultures. Either way, it seems like the comments section disagrees with the review.

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw this yesterday. Growing up, this was my favorite animated Disney movie. The trailer originally really bothered me but I was actually really impressed with the movie overall. Will did a great job and I was able to separate his performance from Robin.

I was bummed with the lack of a good sorcerer fight. Would've been cool to see how current Disney money and magic would have been showcased. Otherwise good movie