• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
My daughter is 25 so I grew up with cartoon Aladdin and we loved watching it (and I played the Sega game) and can't see a reason to see this movie without hating myself afterwards.. Especially since I loved Robin Williams....

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Will Smith was a great. I liked his take on the character a bit more than Robin Williams tbh. Both his musical numbers were great as well. The first 2 acts were really enjoyable and funny. Third act was just kind of meh but that had more to do with the original story being 90 minutes/threadbare.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You seem to be under the impression that the only thing that matters is critic reviews, rather than the actual paying audience.
No?

The person I replied to said it was becoming laughable that 57% of critics thought this movie was worth a watch while audiences seem to mostly like it. Why is this laughable?

And the notion that critics don't go into movies to be 'entertained' is preposterous. Critics went into Endgame, John Wick, Shazam, Pikachu and Long Shot wanting to be entertained but the buck stopped with Aladdin? Please. You just want critics to agree with your take, and when they don't, then it must mean that they're wrong. That's your ego talking.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. Will Smith, Naomi Scott, and Nasim Pedrad are wonderful. Mena is okay to good. Jafar exists. Iago's one liners are wonderful. Music numbers are okay to great. I liked the dance scenes.
While I like they gave Jafar some backstory, it really could have used actual development rather than just hinting he was likely a street rat in Jasmine's mother's kingdom.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
Paying for it also influence your bias so I don't see how it's automatically a better metric.

Paying a meek 11 for a movie is not enough to make my opinion bias, iv seen plenty of movies i thought were shit and even walked out on.

No?

The person I replied to said it was becoming laughable that 57% of critics thought this movie was worth a watch while audiences seem to mostly like it. Why is this laughable?

And the notion that critics don't go into movies to be 'entertained' is preposterous. Critics went into Endgame, John Wick, Shazam, Pikachu and Long Shot wanting to be entertained but the buck stopped with Aladdin? Please. You just want critics to agree with your take, and when they don't, then it must mean that they're wrong. That's your ego talking.

of course Critics go to movies to be entertained, they can also be wrong when its your job to nitpik a movie to death. you tend to score a movie based on every thing you think is a flaw. When someone goes to a movie to be entertained, not because its their job, they tend to overlook some things critics might drive a score down for. I loved endgame, john wick, long shot when i saw them, i also liked Aladdin

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
Your opinion isn't the objective opinion, it's not laughable that 50% of critics disagreed with you.

I love how the apologists only argument is it's RT audience score lol. Where movies like Unplanned and Dogs Journey also have over 90%.

Why not use IMDb and Metacritic users if you're going to go into user scores on websites.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Your opinion isn't the objective opinion, it's not laughable that 50% of critics disagreed with you.
I mean it is laughable when something like Beauty and The Beast has a 71% score even though it was a souless adaption that miscasted it's lead and plenty of medicore Marvel movies receive high ratings yet Aladdin actually manages to keep the charm and fun experience even with it's misteps like miscasting Jafar.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
I love how the apologists only argument is it's RT audience score lol. Where movies like Unplanned and Dogs Journey also have over 90%.

Why not use IMDb and Metacritic users if you're going to go inter user scores on websites.

Rotten tomatoes now verifies the audience member has seen the movie for one.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
of course Critics go to movies to be entertained, they can also be wrong when its your job to nitpik a movie to death. you tend to score a movie based on every thing you think is a flaw. When someone goes to a movie to be entertained, not because its their job, they tend to overlook some things critics might drive a score down for. I loved endgame, john wick, long shot when i saw them, i also liked Aladdin
"They can be wrong"

Doesn't work like that.

You also seem to be under the impression that your opinion on Aladdin is the objective one, by your own admission, everyone else is wrong.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017

Why not use IMDb and Metacritic users if you're going to go into user scores on websites.

Because RT verifies people reviewing it actually saw it, unlike MC and IMDB, where anyone can review a movie, regardless of seeing it.

"They can be wrong"

Doesn't work like that.

You also seem to be under the impression that your opinion on Aladdin is the objective one, by your own admission, everyone else is wrong.

Critics can, have been and will continue to have the ability to be very wrong.

I'll take the verified 4k+ reviews on RT from normal people over some movie snob that gets paid to nitpik any day. And again, im glad i ignored the "critics"

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Critics can, have been and will continue to have the ability to be very wrong.

I'll take the verified 4k+ reviews on RT from normal people over some movie snob that gets paid to nitpik any day. And again, im glad i ignored the "critics"
gLA5U4H.gif

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
Y'all acting like something that JUST came into play is that legitimate lol. There's plenty of non verified reviews that have been posted for the movie just by taking a quick look.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Another great movie with a huge critic audience disconnect, what a surprise! This really is becoming laughable.
I mean its not really laughable. The movie is not good . Will Smith is great and everything else is pretty serviceable(Aladdin,Jasmin, servant girl) to bad (Jafar). The critics review the film as a whole while the audience is just saying if they got some enjoyment. Both can be correct like the Venom critic vs audience divide.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Took the kids and better then I expected. Keep expectations low and you might enjoy it.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh are we playing the "post a gif as a reply because i dont have a real comeback" game? Neat, its ok to be wrong, just like critics
I mean, your ego is so impossibly huge that you believe your opinion on a movie is objective and any critic who didn't like it went into the movie to nitpick it and not be entertained and thus are "wrong". Like, how do I even reply to this? How do I try and explain to you that art is subjective and that 43% of critics didn't all decide that Aladdin was gonna be the blockbuster of the summer where they would decide to dislike it from the get go but were able to be "right" about other blockbusters?

I can't fix your delusions.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all acting like something that JUST came into play is that legitimate lol. There's plenty of non verified reviews that have been posted for the movie just by taking a quick look.

Except the default review score is only verified reviewers. Once you include non-verified reviews (ie the reviews that include obvious trolls), it drops to 88%.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, your ego is so impossibly huge that you believe your opinion on a movie is objective and any critic who didn't like it went into the movie to nitpick it and not be entraineed and thus are "wrong". Like, how do I even reply to this? How do I try and explain to you that art is subjective and that 43% of critics didn't all decide that Aladdin was gonna be the blockbuster of the summer where they would decide to dislike it from the get go but were able to be "right" about other blockbusters?

I can't fix your delusions.

What Ego do you keep referring to? I replied to you basically implying that another posters, and any other opinions other than the critics did not matter, yet *I* have the ego

I dont know what happened in your past to cause you to shill so hard for critics as the end all be all, but man if you think I have the ego here...

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I mean its not really laughable. The movie is not good . Will Smith is great and everything else is pretty serviceable(Aladdin,Jasmin, servant girl) to bad (Jafar). The critics review the film as a whole while the audience is just saying if they got some enjoyment. Both can be correct like the Venom critic vs audience divide.
Except the movie is good and works really well as a whole

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
What Ego do you keep referring to? I replied to you basically saying that his, and any other opinions other than the critics did not matter, yet *I* have the ego

I dont know what happened in your past to cause you to shill so hard for critics as the end all be all, but man if you think I have the ego here...
Me: art is subjective, there is no objective truth

You: Why do you think critics are the objective truth

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017

This is where I'm at. The movie is not good, but it is enjoyable, hence why there's so much back and forth on this. This movie has a massive disconnect between "Good" and "Fun."

Are the songs fun? Yes! Are they Good? Hell no. Anyone who knows anything about editing, film pacing, or musicals can tell you the song portions are awful in this film. It's done so poorly the editors had to manipulate the frame pacing so it synched to the action correctly.

Is the dancing fun? Yes. is it Good? God No. As someone who watched lots of Indian films, and has an extended Indian family, it's shocking how bad the choreography is.

My (controversial and bold) conclusion? This movie is considered good by people who don't know any better.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
I haven't seen it yet, but I don't understand why they didn't cast someone who appeared to be more Jafars age.

Disappointed iago and aboo doesn't seem to have the same style of character
Oded Fehr from the Mummy movies would have been an AMAZING Jafar, definite lost opportunity there.

Abu actually came out of this unscathed, him and carpet are basically just CG versions of the original animated versions, they were definitely the closest to how the characters were portrayed in the original film.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My (controversial and bold) conclusion? This movie is considered good by people who don't know any better.
That is neither bold nor controversial, just silly. It's effectively "Only ignorant people find this movie good." Like what the hell?

May as well have gone with the classic "if you disagree with me you're wrong" at this rate.

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The movie is decent - the source material is just that good. It's sort of like One Punch Man season 2. Its animation is mostly garbage but it's still sorta fine thanks to the good source material.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
Better than expected reviews but doesn't change the fact that Guy Ritchie is an utterly shit director and even his only two 'good' films (Lock Stock and Snatch) are no better than mediocre. He really is crap.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I guess we gotta agree to disagree. Its enjoyable but incredibly uneven. The actor they picked for Jarfar isn't up to the task and the third act suffers for it.
If they set out to make a fun, enjoyable movie and they made a fun enjoyable movie, whats the problem?
This is where I'm at. The movie is not good, but it is enjoyable, hence why there's so much back and forth on this. This movie has a massive disconnect between "Good" and "Fun."

Are the songs fun? Yes! Are they Good? Hell no. Anyone who knows anything about editing, film pacing, or musicals can tell you the song portions are awful in this film. It's done so poorly the editors had to manipulate the frame pacing so it synched to the action correctly.

Is the dancing fun? Yes. is it Good? God No. As someone who watched lots of Indian films, and has an extended Indian family, it's shocking how bad the choreography is.

if fun and enjoyable were the aims, and most accounts are that it is fun and enjoyable, how can it still not be good?

If it were just serviceable i could understand people saying its bad, but it makes no sense to say its fun and enjoyable but its bad.

Is it a perfect film in all its aspects? No. Is it enjoyable and fun? Yes. Would i recommend it for someone looking for a fun movie to take their kids? Absolutely yes. Would i recommend a bad movie? Absolutely not.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
If they set out to make a fun, enjoyable movie and they made a fun enjoyable movie, whats the problem?
It was fun and enjoyable until it wasn't and that's the problem. The first 2 acts with Will Smith are really entertaining and engaging. As soon as he recedes into the background and the drama with Jafar has to play out its just not compelling. Jafar was not a good villian and as a result the last part of the movie becomes a slog where I'm left wishing I was watching more stuff with Aladdin and Genie.

Watching a movie isn't some binary experience. I can enjoy parts of a movie while also recognizing some of its flaws. I really liked most of the movie yet I completely agree with its critic score.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. Smith was actually great as the Genie. Jafar and Iago, though... Borderline terrible. The last act falls a little flat because they're so much more in it.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
It was fun and enjoyable until it wasn't and that's the problem. The first 2 acts with Will Smith are really entertaining and engaging. As soon as he recedes into the background and the drama with Jafar has to play out its just not compelling. Jafar was not a good villian and as a result the last part of the movie becomes a slog where I'm left wishing I was watching more stuff with Aladdin and Genie.

Watching a movie isn't some binary experience. I can enjoy parts of a movie while also recognizing some of its flaws. I really liked most of the movie yet I completely agree with its critic score.
I dont agree that it completely fell apart. I think the guy playing Aladdin was good and Jasmine was great. I actually thought this Jasmine was better than the cartoon. Jafar was the weak point but mostly because the og jafar was so great. My kids thought jafar was scary.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Terrible trailers yet a fun movie.

Decent acting by all mains. Fun action. Catchy songs, especially Speechless.

Jafar was the weakest link. He wasn't terrible but just a bunch of unfulfilled potential. Loved that Jafar had a real reason for being "evil" but the actor just couldn't elevate his performance to the motivation/potential.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'll repost my Facebook "mini-review" from this morning, since it sums up enough of my thoughts on the film:

"Just got back from the Disney employee screening of Aladdin, and, honestly, I loved it. The original animated film is my favorite Disney movie, so I went into this one with genuine reservations. Those reservations were unfounded.

It's a really well done adaptation of the animated film, and Will does a fantastic job as the Genie. Much like Williams before him, he makes the character his own, and he's no less as charming and endearing as the inimitable Robin Williams.

It's funny, it has heart, it expands on characters (especially Jasmine, who is fleshed out so much more than she was in the original, and the songs are just as catchy and well done as the original film (Friend Like Me and Prince Ali are standouts for me, personally).

I definitely recommend it. It surprised me how enjoyable it turned out after all the internet kerfluffle."

I really liked it a lot, and actually wouldn't mind seeing it again in a theater that wasn't just coworkers and other Disney/FOX employees. I'm interested to see how the general audience reacts to it. I was very pleased with Will's Genie. Genuinely funny and charming, as was Aladdin himself. I had never seen him in anything before, so I didn't know what to expect from him.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly much better than the trailer led me to expect. It drags a bit and can be trimmed (like the whole unnecessary genie subplot) but it's certainly better than B&B by quite a bit. Will Smith was actually decent and didn't make me dislike his intepretation of the genie. The whole gifting scene and the jam runnning joke was a pretty damn great addition.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
You seem to be under the impression that the only thing that matters is critic reviews, rather than the actual paying audience.
Plenty of shitty movies out there that make plenty of money that doesn't make a movie good.

Not enough eyerolls in the world for this hot take.
Don't think its that hot of a take at all, there is plenty of shitty content across the entertainment spectrum that's bad yet popular