• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I'm shocked that this isn't unwatchable trash, apparently. The trailers made it look awful, and that 1-minute clip from Prince Ali looked even worse.

But yeah, RT score doesn't mean all that much. A lot of the reviewers seem to say that the most positive thing you can say about this is that it isn't a tranwreck and it's watchable. That's not exactly high praise.

The thing I've always found misleading about RT (not that MC for movies is tons better) is that something that gets 100% 3/5 reviews will get a 100% RT score, whereas something that gets 70% 5/5 and 30% 1/5 (i.e., daring/divisive film, probably more interesting) will get 70%. RT is perfect for Disney which can crank out thoroughly adequate movies like nobody's business.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
If the clips they showed aren't representative of the final movie, I might watch it at some point in the future.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked that this isn't unwatchable trash, apparently. The trailers made it look awful, and that 1-minute clip from Prince Ali looked even worse.

But yeah, RT score doesn't mean all that much. A lot of the reviewers seem to say that the most positive thing you can say about this is that it isn't a tranwreck and it's watchable. That's not exactly high praise.

At the same time, the reviews also seem to say the worst thing you can say about the movie is that it's unnecessary since we're only a little over 20years removed from the movie and Mena's voice can be flat at times. It's completely okay is pretty much where the movie is at.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
https://imgur.com/hMoPXI1

Overall it was a very fun romp. Smith NAILED it, movie gave justice to the original material big time and all the songs were good. I also liked what they went for with Jafar. And to top it off I'm honestly really happy that Disney is continuing on their cultural streak after Black Panther, because hot damn was this movie straight up dope on the message, plus it was sensibly made.

I feel like the UAE won't like it very much tho, same for some other countries. I've always liked how Ritchie manages to capture the essence of characters, and personify it really well on screen even if some of his flicks have been on the miss side a few times.

Would not mind watching it again down the line, 8/10 (for me)

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
This just popped in my head...

With all of these live-action of Disney Cinematic Multi-verse or whatever, maybe they'll surprise us with all of Disney Princess & Princes in one film like Avengers in form of...

Live-action Kingdom Hearts film.

I'll watch that.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
This is currently at 58 on Metacritic. Beauty and the beast got a 65 on Metacritic and that's hot trash. I think reviewers have been too kind to these Disney remakes so far, but hey, maybe I'll be surprised about Aladdin

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This falling around 60-70% is probably a fairly major accomplishment given the troubled production and poor early reception.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are shocked that people like it. Social media impressions over the past couple of weeks have been mostly positive.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel identically.
The only thing that gives me some pause is that Dumbo reviewed poorly so critics do have their limits.
Dumbo was fighting an uphill battle when the story was revealed to be from the human's point of view. Not to mention trying to turn a barely 60 minute animated movie into a longer full featured blockbuster.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
This thing is all over the place, lol. I'll still take my girls if it's over 55%...although that's pushing it. Anything less and we'll wait for digital.

Nov 1, 2017
Never understood what was so bad about the trailers apart from the genie CGI and the inherent cynical capitalism of these live action remakes

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just saw it, I think the reviews are being quite generous tbh. Will Smith does a good job as the Genie and Jasmine sings well, but otherwise the film just feels so soulless and mechanical. Richie's direction is all over the place, the editing is really obnoxious in places, the script is about 75% exposition and the CGI is a mess (especially a third act chase that reminded me of the blurry goop from last year's Robin Hood). Oh and Jafar sucked.

It's also about 30 minutes too long and Smith takes too long to show up (about 40 mins). Unless you really love the source material (which I don't, FYI), there's no reason to see it.

On a side note, surprised how much cleavage they gave Jasmine. Not a complaint, mind.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I'll still go and see it. I don't like the casting outside of Will Smith, but the songs sounds good for the most part. The costumes and movie just looks super average. We'll see!

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
Variety:
Where the director really shines is in melding practical elements with virtual ones. Whether making Smith's computer-enhanced and cerulean-skinned Genie look natural sharing the screen with Aladdin or swooping the camera along magic carpet rides through virtual sets, Ritchie's style embraces the kind of expressionism needed to pull off such a fanciful tale.

Hollywood Reporter:
Despite having helmed some relatively family-friendly entertainments as the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes movies and King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, Ritchie wouldn't seem an obvious choice for this material. Indeed, the director responsible for such films as Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels provides an undertone of grittiness here that feels misplaced. You can tell his heart is more in the elaborate chase sequences and pyrotechnics than the musical numbers, which, as is so often the case these days, are so frenetically assembled that they seem to have been edited in a Cuisinart.

Entertainment Weekly:
And yet, the new Aladdin is hardly the folly that the advance bad buzz prepared us for. The candy-colored costumes and production design are stunning, Alan Menken's songs are as infectious as ever, the dance numbers have an electric Bollywood flair, and some of the bazaar chase sequences have a Young Indiana Jones sense of rollicking, Rube Goldberg fun. But mostly it all feels too dutiful, too familiar.

IndieWire:
But that's not enough to save the film's flatlining final act, in which Genie is muted, Jasmine is expected to deliver emotional twists via confusing musical sequences, and Aladdin undergoes a series of serious motivation changes on a minute by minute basis. There's plenty of plot to drive Ritchie's film — but the third act of "Aladdin" is so laden (and leaden) with major plot points that it wallops all the fun that came before. Younger viewers will surely tune out, but the older set is likely goners too. It's the perfect time to call for once last wish: make this whole thing as fun as the first two acts, voila!

The Wrap:
Ritchie's "Aladdin" looks so familiar that, if anything, it's hard to imagine why Ritchie wanted to make it. Disney seems to have smoothed out all the wrinkles in the director's familiar, if sometimes oppressive style. .... The original "Aladdin" was an innovative motion picture, heralding a new era of CG-assisted animation and celebrity stunt-casting. It was bold and exciting. The remake rehashes the original in a pleasing but perfunctory way: It's extremely satisfying to see these roles finally filled by non-white actors, but the movie still feels like a wholly western interpretation of one of the tales from "One Thousand and One Nights."

Forbes:
Guy Ritchie's Aladdin entertains and charms almost through sheer force of will. The leads are so likable (and, yes, the inclusive casting matters, especially for a find like Massoud), the movie is so big and colorful and the songs are so memorable, that it almost doesn't matter that the story feels like someone dropped the original screenplay in a blender and then randomly taped it back together. Aladdin is neither the disaster we feared (Beauty and the Beast) nor a new Disney classic (Pete's Dragon). It's not quite "good," but it mostly justifies its existence.

Last edited:

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it sad that I'm pleasantly surprised with 65%.

I was literally expected under 10

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm good with the original.
Good thing for you that the original isn't going away then, and it was never going to.

Well, pretty nice to know the movie is apparently good and enjoyable because I was planning to see it soon, maybe a week after it's out because I still need to watch a few (Hellboy, Brightburn, The Hustle and a Peruvian one called Retablo).

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Reading some of the reviews, I feel those that love the animated film will enjoy the live action film. Those that were meh for Aladdin, they didn't like the film.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Keep on dropping! Might actually end up in rotten territory.

The very mediocre BatB remake ended up at 71. Some critics go easy on Disney.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The original is tied only with The Lion King as my absolute favorite Disney animated film so this is a pleasant surprise. I was never *not* going to see it.

Oct 27, 2017
The live action Disney films have been more miss than hit, I feel. Really enjoyed Cinderella and Jungle Book but not much else.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like what I expected. A middling, mostly useless, expensive remake of a classic. Probably just like Batb

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I plan on watching it, but my pecking order for movies releasing this week that I plan to watch is definitely Book Smart >>>>>>>> Brightburn >>> Aladdin. Might take me a while to get to as well, since the subsequent week has Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Rocketman. Hell, I'm low key more excited for Ma than Aladdin.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it'll drop further. The mid 60s is still higher than I was expecting for this based on the trailers. It'd be nice if it turns out to be good overall and King Arthur was just a one off terrible movie from Ritchie.
Really I just hope he gets his mojo back before doing Sherlock Holmes 3 because those movies are far better than they should be and I love them.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
The way they gutted Jafar's characteristics is disappointing. He basically becomes your average ho hum villain.

Last edited:

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
This looks like above Maleficent but below BatB score wise.

I may eventually catch it at some point but the trailers don't make it seem anything more than average at best.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
abOaZzt.jpg

We've entered Rotten-Ville.

Maybe this can return back to to 60-70s, but it's looking like we've got a Pet Cemetary 2.0 here.