• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Glad to see so many people enjoying it. My only real complaint is that I felt the whole new world carpet ride itself wasn't as impressive as in the original. I was hoping they'd go above the clouds, see a statue, fly with birds.. that scene seemed to like creativity in comparison with the rest of the film, which surprises me, as this is the most famous section of Aladdin. Having said that, the performances/singing were really great still and I love this rendition.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
sorry no, it suffers from pacing problem as it rushes through the movies and as a brown skin person of colour. I feel that more effort could have gone into this movie than just making a mediocre movie.

It's true what they say, mediocre white male get the world handed to them while PoC have to work harder just to get a glimmer of a chance.
Considering the audience's reception to the movie, nah this is far from mediocre.

Pacing aside, I'd REALLY like to hear what people who deem this so inferior to the original have as their reasons. Making Jasmine, Jafar, and Genie actual characters alone makes the remake better for me personally

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I am sorry no, it suffers from pacing problem as it rushes through the movies and as a brown skin person of colour. I feel that more effort could have gone into this movie than just making a mediocre movie.

It's true what they say, mediocre white male get the world handed to them while PoC have to work harder just to get a glimmer of a chance.
The pacing problems exist in the original too. I mean it taks place in the span of a week. After Jafar becomes Sultan he just lounges around on Agrabah with nothing to do until Aladdin returns. Princess Jasmine falls in love with Aladdin in a couple of days and has no real depth to her character.

As a brown skinned PoC I appreciated the diversity of this cast as opposed to the all white cast of the original voice actors

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Well. It wasn't the trainwreck I thought it would be, especially after listening to the music beforehand.

It was decent, I had a fun time. Will Smith was better than I had thought (and feared after listening to Friend Like Me, which worked in the movie). A lot of it was awkward though, with pacing issues, and the signature Guy Ritchie SLOW MO DRAMATIC shots (me and my sister's husband burst out laughing at the loooooooooong slow mo scream as Aladdin fell off the balcony lmao).

However. Jafar was just flat out terrible. Like, I cannot understand how anyone looked at that performance and thought it was good, or fine, or acceptable, or even so bad it's good.

Zero menace, zero slimy charisma, zero personality. Like god, he just sat there while Jasmine Soapbox Speeched her way back into power. Everything about him, from his voice, his acting, even his outfit (his HAT WAS CROOKED THE WHOLE FILM), was just up and down awful.

Other than Jafar though, the rest was fine. Speechless is obviously done by a different song writer and sticks out like a sore thumb, but it's not a bad song. I laughed at it literally stopping the film though.

So....yeah. Better than I thought it would be.

Also, Abu and Carpet were cute AF.

Last edited:

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Yea I don't get how someone can not like Speechless, the message behind it, the performance, and what it does for Jasmine as a character. And the film itself - I mean, she doesn't seduce Jafar to distract him so Aladdin can Dave the day. She speaks, and moves these men to her side and gains a kingdom. She's Sultan!

And also

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well. It wasn't the trainwreck I thought it would be, especially after listening to the music beforehand.

It was decent, I had a fun time. Will Smith was better than I had thought (and feared after listening to Friend Like Me, which worked in the movie). A lot of it was awkward though, with pacing issues, and the signature Guy Ritchie SLOW MO DRAMATIC shots (me and my sister's husband burst out laughing at the loooooooooong slow mo scream as Aladdin fell off the balcony lmao).

However. Jafar was just flat out terrible. Like, I cannot understand how anyone looked at that performance and thought it was good, or fine, or acceptable, or even so bad it's good.

Zero menace, zero slimy charisma, zero personality. Like god, he just sat there while Jasmine Soapbox Speeched her way back into power. Everything about him, from his voice, his acting, even his outfit (his HAT WAS CROOKED THE WHOLE FILM), was just up and down awful.

Other than Jafar though, the rest was fine. Speechless is obviously done by a different song writer and sticks out like a sore thumb, but it's not a bad song. I laughed at it literally stopping the film though.

Jafar is bad. I just thought he would be worse than worse, like distractingly terrible. My expectations were sub-zero. Having said that, having accepted that he would be this bad, I thought he was serviceable. Still horribly miscast, still woefully squandered in terms of potential, but not bad enough to rip me from the film.

I say this as someone who thinks Jafar is the best villain in the Disney animated world. He sucked but it wasn't the show stopping performance I thought it would be.

If I didn't see any of the trailers or reveals before hand and knew nothing of the film, I would have been incredibly disappointed with him.

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
Overall the movie was worth a watch, but Jafar was terrible as everyone points out. I was also equally disappointed how they murdered Iago's character. Gottfried's performance was really great in the original. Iago has so few lines in this one. I was not a fan of how the sultan was also changed to a more serious character. Smith did a decent job, and he nailed the scene where
Aladdin sets him free.
Pedrad was also a good addition.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Overall the movie was worth a watch, but Jafar was terrible as everyone points out. I was also equally disappointed how they murdered Iago's character. Gottfried's performance was really great in the original. Iago has so few lines in this one. I was not a fan of how the sultan was also changed to a more serious character. Smith did a decent job, and he nailed the scene where
Aladdin sets him free.
Pedrad was also a good addition.

Iago really pissed me off. It's especially odd given how they
set up the sequel, with Jafar trapping Iago in the lamp with him. Iago was a huge part of Return of Jafar, and this just won't work. Unless they said Jafar granted Iago a voice so he had someone to talk with in the lamp, lol.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I...I didn't hate it! The cast was pretty good. I was surprised by both Aladdin and Jasmine's actor. They actually had chemistry! Will Smith is finally having fun again. I liked some of the changes! Dahlia was a great addition and the actress was awesome.

Only criticism is that flying carpet ride being too dark. But thier voices a did justice to the original. I'm a big Leah Salonga fan so I was going to be especially hard on Naomi Scott but she was amazing!

Last edited:

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I enjoyed it way more than I thought I did. I hadn't seen the original in a while so when Arabian Nights started with that fantastic one shot I got legit chills.

Will Smith was my favorite part of the movie, I was really worried about how Friend Like Me was going to work out, but they nailed it at the end. The bit where Genie's hand is controlling Aladdin with puppet strings was on par with the original movie.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Jafar is bad. I just thought he would be worse than worse, like distractingly terrible. My expectations were sub-zero. Having said that, having accepted that he would be this bad, I thought he was serviceable. Still horribly miscast, still woefully squandered in terms of potential, but not bad enough to rip me from the film.

I say this as someone who thinks Jafar is the best villain in the Disney animated world. He sucked but it wasn't the show stopping performance I thought it would be.

If I didn't see any of the trailers or reveals before hand and knew nothing of the film, I would have been incredibly disappointed with him.

He was distractingly terrible for me. I was hoping from the trailers that they were just going for a more "quiet menace" or someone who seemed harmless before they went nuts. If that was their goal though, I thought they failed. He was just bad all around.

("Give me your hand!"
"How about my foot," he says with deadpan boredom.)

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
He was distractingly terrible for me. I was hoping from the trailers that they were just going for a more "quiet menace" or someone who seemed harmless before they went nuts. If that was their goal though, I thought they failed. He was just bad all around.

("Give me your hand!"
"How about my foot," he says with deadpan boredom.)
He was bad no doubt. I thought him and Aladdin were miscast though Aladdin did a better job.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
He was bad no doubt. I thought him and Aladdin were miscast though Aladdin did a better job.

I was okay with Aladdin in the end. He was decently charming, had good chemistry with Will Smith and Naomi Scott, and was okay at singing. Made some dumb faces though haha.

But yeah....Jafar.......... 😔

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I was okay with Aladdin in the end. He was decently charming, had good chemistry with Will Smith and Naomi Scott, and was okay at singing. Made some dumb faces though haha.

But yeah....Jafar.......... 😔
IMO Aladdin is an equally disappointing component of the film. He is just so charming and endearing in the original. Aladdin in this movie just kinda stood around and let everybody else carry him.

That said,

Best scene in the movie by far was Aladdin/genie arriving after the parade/Prince Ali song. I was dying

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My wife's been 3 times now and is itching to go again

I've been twice and could happily go for another viewing, really loved it and my 3 year old keeps singing Speechless

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I can't get over this:

My sisters saw it. They thought it was OK but felt the editing was poor. Sounds in line with what people have been saying here.

I still can't process how bad the casting choice for Jafar is. He looks like goofy, gormless dad.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
IMO Aladdin is an equally disappointing component of the film. He is just so charming and endearing in the original. Aladdin in this movie just kinda stood around and let everybody else carry him.

That said,

Best scene in the movie by far was Aladdin/genie arriving after the parade/Prince Ali song. I was dying

Oh, live action Aladdin definitely isn't as charming as animated. Animated Aladdin is charismatic to a T.

LA Aladdin was fine enough though, he had a nice smile and when he was trying to be charming, he was charming. I feel it was more direction with him? Like they had him so NERVOUS half the film because he was a pretender, with awkward smiles and the "I'm LYING HAHAHA" kind of personality, whereas Animated Aladdin walked the walk and talked the talk because he could pull it off and knew he could. Animated Aladdin was just more sure of himself in his deception lol.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh, live action Aladdin definitely isn't as charming as animated. Animated Aladdin is charismatic to a T.

LA Aladdin was fine enough though, he had a nice smile and when he was trying to be charming, he was charming. I feel it was more direction with him? Like they had him so NERVOUS half the film because he was a pretender, with awkward smiles and the "I'm LYING HAHAHA" kind of personality, whereas Animated Aladdin walked the walk and talked the talk because he could pull it off and knew he could. Animated Aladdin was just more sure of himself in his deception lol.
Yeah, I think they wrote him wrong to be fair. OG confident Aladdin is far better and makes for a more charismatic performance. I didn't hate him but he was definitely flat and IMO didn't have great chemistry with Jasmine, who really owned her role.

Speaking of which, I really loved
the change to her storyline to want to become Sultan. I loved a lot of the changes to her character!

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think they wrote him wrong to be fair. OG confident Aladdin is far better and makes for a more charismatic performance. I didn't hate him but he was definitely flat and IMO didn't have great chemistry with Jasmine, who really owned her role.

Speaking of which, I really loved
the change to her storyline to want to become Sultan. I loved a lot of the changes to her character!

Yes! I forgot to mention that in my initial post. I really appreciated what the film did for Jasmine.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yes! I forgot to mention that in my initial post. I really appreciated what the film did for Jasmine.
The only thing I didn't like is how they doubled down on her buying Aladdin's lie, I never thought her character would believe it, even in the original. Though they at least showed some doubt on her face at least

But she was really great, and she actually sings her songs it looks like!

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The new interpretation feels more organic imo. Most people probably won't be able to pull off such a 180 in converting from a poor thief to a rich prince over night and knowing exactly how to pull it off. It didn't feel as earned in the original.

Iago really pissed me off. It's especially odd given how they
set up the sequel, with Jafar trapping Iago in the lamp with him. Iago was a huge part of Return of Jafar, and this just won't work. Unless they said Jafar granted Iago a voice so he had someone to talk with in the lamp, lol.
The original sequel was direct to VHS and wasn't even well received. I think it's the least of their worries here.

The only thing I didn't like is how they doubled down on her buying Aladdin's lie, I never thought her character would believe it, even in the original. Though they at least showed some doubt on her face at least
They put emphasis on that scene for a reason. Genie and even Dalia are like "she really bought that??" and the latter even tells that to Jasmine's face. It's evident from her reaction that she puts more belief in the lie because she wishes it were true. Akin to a confirmation bias.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The new interpretation feels more organic imo. Most people probably won't be able to pull off such a 180 in converting from a poor thief to a rich prince over night and knowing exactly how to pull it off. It didn't feel as earned in the original.

The original sequel was direct to VHS and wasn't even well received. I think it's the least of their worries here.

They put emphasis on that scene for a reason. Genie and even Dalia are like "she really bought that??" and the latter even tells that to Jasmine's face. It's evident from her reaction that she puts more belief in the lie because she wishes it were true. Akin to a confirmation bias.

It was received well enough to warrant a third movie. Regardless, Iago should have been given more character. This coming from someone who enjoyed the new film enough to bring the kids to see it three times.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was received well enough to warrant a third movie. Regardless, Iago should have been given more character. This coming from someone who enjoyed the new film enough to bring the kids to see it three times.
He had less character, but he did more than serve as "Jafar's number one cheerleader" which I liked. His role was pivotal in several acts of the movie. But yeah, they took a bit too much away from the original incarnation.

Oct 28, 2017
California
After a few days, I still really like it lol. Definitely worth watching again and I can't wait for the blu-Ray.

However, what was kinda disappointing was the climatic battle scene went from Aladdin surfing on a giant ruby, slicing snake Jafar to Iago turning into a big ass monster bird (which was fine in and of itself).

Oh, and I really liked the Speechless song. When I heard that they were going to add original songs I got worried, but they were pretty good.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Was it established that the

Genie lost all his powers?

How is a sequel even going to be possible.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Was it established that the

Genie lost all his powers?

How is a sequel even going to be possible.

its kind of ambiguous right? Jafar has magic even prior to becoming a genie. Being a genie for so long and being able to do magic outside of wishes means Genie probably can do some level of magic even without his genie powers. Beyond that, it might be worth it to merge the stories of 2&3. Have Aladdin's dad be the one who releases Jafar and Jafar manipulate his dad into making a wish that gives Jafar some control of him. Genie can run defense magic while Aladdin makes a plea to break his dad from the spell and put Jafar back in his place.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thing is, I think Jafar is such a massive part of the story and such a hugely effective character in the original that this film completely limps from scene to scene as he is here. He's the engine of conflict for the plot and he needs that presence and charisma.

Honestly, Jafar is easily the second best character after Genie in the 92 version and no other characters in this film are stepping up to fill the void.

This movie really drags before we get to Will Smith. All of Jafar's scenes now being longer but less interesting are dragging it down.

Last edited:

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017

But she was really great, and she actually sings her songs it looks like!

I agree with below that it was more of a confirmation bias thing. She just wanted it to be true.

She does sing! She's pretty good.

I guess I enjoy endlessly charming grifter Aladdin more haha. Aladdin is one of my fave Disney princes because he's such a charmer, so I guess I'm biased. But he's slick and I think that's the point in the animated film haha.

Thing is, I think Jafar is such a massive part of the story and such a hugely effective character in the original that this film completely limps from scene to scene as he is here. He's the engine of conflict for the plot and he needs that presence and charisma.

Honestly, Jafar is easily the second best character after Genie in the 92 version and no other characters in this film are stepping up to fill the void.

This movie really drags before we get to Will Smith. All of Jafar's scenes now being longer but less interesting are dragging it down.

I can agree, but I guess I found the rest well enough that Jafar didn't kill it. But yeah, any scenes with him exclusively were dead in the water, any time he tried to be menacing, I was laughing. His attempt (or how they directed him) at "barely concealed hatred/anger" was terrible, and I was dying while he just sat there and let Jasmine talk her way back at the end. I know it was empowering for her, but he just lounged in his chair and I was like SAY ANYTHING. The Most Powerful Sorcerer in the World (TM) would have put a silencing spell on her immediately haha.

Also, his genie form was HILARIOUS.

Aaaaah, such a missed opportunity in general with Jafar. Even if he was younger and ~hot~ they could and should have done so much more with him.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with below that it was more of a confirmation bias thing. She just wanted it to be true.

She does sing! She's pretty good.

I guess I enjoy endlessly charming grifter Aladdin more haha. Aladdin is one of my fave Disney princes because he's such a charmer, so I guess I'm biased. But he's slick and I think that's the point in the animated film haha.
That's fair. But it's kinda back and forth even in the original. He goes from poor boy to professional royal to the exact opposite of a charmer and needing Genie's advice when he meets with Jasmine 1 on 1. Much more back and forth without much in between or more organic growth in his behavior.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
This movie was fun. I can't even remember if I even watched the original. It was so long ago and I was so young.
Some great memeable moments there too. Can't wait for HD clips to come out.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
I've seen this 3 times already. Randomly went on Tuesday night and the theater was full. Each time I've seen the movie I've had a really engaged audience. It has been really fun. Might go see it oneeeee more time with my little cousins before it's out of theaters. I should just wait for the dvd but it's not the same as seeing it in on the big screen.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I enjoyed it a lot, this is probably the first remake that I think lives up to the original, and has changes that I think enhance it.

Jafar was a bit on the snivelling side, but he had his moments(namely when he used the staff).
And I liked his added back story about him being a thief too, gave him and Aladdin some common ground.

One Jump Ahead was definitely the highlight.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018
Just saw this. Charmless and boring. Will smith genie as awful as you'd think and the only time I was sorta impressed was that song on the cave when the cgi went wild.

The rest of it is dreadful and it dragged.

There's always the original that we can watch I guess. Awful and the new songs are bad too

4/10

Window

Oct 27, 2017
He had less character, but he did more than serve as "Jafar's number one cheerleader" which I liked. His role was pivotal in several acts of the movie. But yeah, they took a bit too much away from the original incarnation.
Iago was too much of a plot crutch for me to like this version. Every single secret is pretty much discovered because of him. Original was way more funny with Gottfried's voice.

I may post some more detailed thoughts later but I liked this. It's a passable live action interpretation of the original, with commendable but I think unsuccessful attempts to give characters (mainly Jasmine) more depth. The original is maybe my favourite Disney animated film so this had a lot to live up to but it just lacks the charm and fantastical visuals of the animated film. A whole new world was a massive disappointment. On the other hand a friend like me was done really really well and closely matched the surreal visuals of the animated film. Don't why they couldn't do th same for a whole new world. Smith was very good as Genie as I had suspected when his casting was announced. He posses the right skillset combination of comedy, singing, acting and just being a charismatic on screen personality to pull it off.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Went with wife and we had a great time with the movie, original Aladdin is my favourite Disney animation, at least from the Princess line of films and was reluctant to watch this one. Fears were indeed put to rest though, the 3 leads were great in their respective roles, Jasmine actually surpassing my expectations. Songs were amazing as ever even the new one, we were humming the songs after the movie was done.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Saw it tonight, was surprised at how full my theater was on a random Tuesday night.

I liked it, but like others have said Jafar was not good at all. I also thought Iago was nowhere near as good as Gilbert Godfried's version. I hope this is successful enough that we can get a sequel (that preferably isn't a Return of Jafar remake and instead a remake of the far superior King of Thieves).

I liked Beauty and the Beast a bit more though.

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing about the movie will be remembered by me in a few months but it was an ok watch.
One thing I did find is that the Genie scenes had quite the "Poochie the dog" feeling to them. It worked better in the cartoon.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
went reading and found out Disney was casting for either a Middle Eastern or South Asian actor for Aladdin. Mena was the perfect choice and if they had gone with a South Asian actor I would've been pretty pissed off. That would've been Disney conforming to the notion of having these races of people conflated as if they're all the same, but they're not. The fictional city of Agrabah is Middle Eastern and not in the sub-Indian continent, therefore an actor of Indian descent shouldn't be in consideration to be cast as the lead

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the fan backlash with this move wasn't so much.

I watched it with very low expectations and it ended up being pretty good. I really liked all the leads. Will Smith was great, mena and Naomi were great too.

I actually hope we get a sequel.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the fan backlash with this move wasn't so much.

I watched it with very low expectations and it ended up being pretty good. I really liked all the leads. Will Smith was great, mena and Naomi were great too.

I actually hope we get a sequel.

Yeah there's no fan backlash. This movie is very well liked thats why its doing so well.