• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Went in with low expectation, like most people. I loved it! The visual was spectacular, saved for some jarring CG bit.
A whole new world sequence was fantastic. Will Smith's was acceptable, too.

Aladdin and Jafar's acting left a lot to be desired, tho.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Aladdin and Jafar's acting left a lot to be desired, tho.

I thought Jafar was good enough, I kind of agree with you on Aladdin, but his chemistry with both Naomi Scott and Will Smith I thought was fantastic, so I didn't mind it as much. I was happy with all the lead performances.

I saw it for a second time last night and my biggest complaints are still One Jump Ahead and a third act getting sloppy.
Overall, this is the most fun I've had with a movie this year. Probably even more than Endgame tbh.
And actually, I'm hoping they make a sequel, without Guy Ritchie.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Jafar was good enough, I kind of agree with you on Aladdin, but his chemistry with both Naomi Scott and Will Smith I thought was fantastic, so I didn't mind it as much. I was happy with all the lead performances.

I saw it for a second time last night and my biggest complaints are still One Jump Ahead and a third act getting sloppy.
Overall, this is the most fun I've had with a movie this year. Probably even more than Endgame tbh.
And actually, I'm hoping they make a sequel, without Guy Ritchie.
Same here. I'll come back for a second viewing.
The leads totally sold that A Whole New world sequence!

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed it! Definitely better than the RT score suggests. It's missing the magic of the animated for sure, but it was a fun time in the theatre.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was definitely better than a lot of the negative pre-release buzz folkes on this board were giving it.

I enjoyed it more than the live action B&tB, Maleficent, and Dumbo. Maybe even a tad more than Jungle Book.

You can't expect the same dynamic quality that animation brings, but this movie was pretty good once it got going. Will Smith isn't Robin Williams, but he was charming and funny and had some cool moments.

A fun family summer popcorn movie.

The new song didn't mesh in perfectly, but damn if Naomi Scott didn't perform the shit out of it.

Last edited:

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

I don't know how or why One Jump made it in the movie the way it did. So many spots where it speeds up or slows down just to get the lip sync in. And even then, why did they have them sing that slow/fast in those shots in the first place? Just retake the scene til it matches instead of adding a 200% speed to the shot.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
It's on par with the Cinderella remake.

Lots of changes intended to flesh out Jasmine and Jaffar so they're more... textured? Good intentions. Though because of the added side characters, it feels a bit more crowded and rushed. Didn't dislike the Genie/Handmaiden romance, which was probably the biggest deviation. Appreciated the changes to Jasmine and Jaffar.

Jasmine is ... distractingly better at singing than everyone else. Like, maybe that's why she got more songs? Cause those new songs stood out, both in quality and in being non-diagetic to the story compared to the original songs.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how or why One Jump made it in the movie the way it did. So many spots where it speeds up or slows down just to get the lip sync in. And even then, why did they have them sing that slow/fast in those shots in the first place? Just retake the scene til it matches instead of adding a 200% speed to the shot.

That bit was so incredibly jarring. I'm so baffled that made it to the final release in the shape it was. It seriously felt like such an afterthought. They didn't even try to clean it up at all, the footage is just straight sped up. Really weird.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
The original was my favorite Disney. I went in with low expectations and I enjoyed it a lot. It has imperfections but the character motivations were better.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As a huge fan of the original, probably one of my most watched movies ever, this was actually pretty enjoyable. However my super familiarity with Aladdin meant it was almost impossible to not be constantly comparing both movies. I was kinda distracted by the little changes and tweaks they made here and there. It's some same but different, but still same shit. I found most of it unnecessary, like how the red jewel is still the cause of the Cave of Wonders caving in, but instead of hypnotizing Abu it just falls on his hands. Or how Aladdin tricks the Genie into escaping from the cave. Or how both movies have a CGI crazy carpet ride set piece, but they happen at entirely different moments. Or needless changes in the dialogue just to mix stuff up. There's a lot of shit like that peppered throughout the film. Like they were trying too hard to not be just a remake of Aladdin, but you're still working within the same story, characters, core and structure, so what are you even trying to do here. Many of these changes are not really for the better, more like a step sideways at best. But others help make the movie seem more believable to be honest, like the extended introduction scene for when Prince Ali first enters the palace. That actually kinda worked for me. Or working a bit more to develop Aladdin and Jasmine's relationship, or actually explaining how they can't recognize Aladdin when he's Prince Ali. Some stuff's actually alright.

Also seemed like they purposefully were trying to avoid having the remake resemble the original at all. There are barely any visual nods. But it's a nice looking movie overall. The guyritchie-isms were kept to a minimum, although I was surprised that some of the worst moments in the movie were the big set pieces. Especially One Jump Ahead. I think everyone has commented on this, but whatthefuck at the constant slowing down and speeding up of the action, it was so jarring, never mind somehow Aladdin still singing at normal speed during those moments. The whole sequence in general was a total failure frankly, didn't work for me at all. Expanding on the idea of freerunning could've been cool but in the end it's just a mess. The original is littered with little fun vignettes in basically every shot but this one just has none of the imagination and creativity of the original. I also thought the A Whole New World scene was pretty lame and basic compared to the original. While I do like the new more bombastic arrangement, funnily enough it kinda doesn't fit what seems to be a much more lowkey sequence. I guess it's a victim of having to ground it down a tad cuz live action. It's a bit strange how sometimes the movie goes absolutely over the top, but for other stuff it just tones everything way down.

As far as the actors go, I was surprised by Mena, I gotta admit. He starts out shaky but grows on you, he plays off pretty well with the Genie. And like everyone has mentioned, Will Smith steals the show the same as Robin Williams did. By the end he definitely ended up making the role his own, which was a tall order no doubt. Really enjoyed his performance and his take on the character. Had no issues with his blue CG self either. I actually thought Naomi Scott was kinda dry as Jasmine, didn't really make a strong impression on me despite having vastly more screen time here, but I appreciate the attempt at giving her character more agency and turning her into less of a damsel in distress. Her one song is actually pretty nice, but I'm not exactly sure how well it fits into the movie for now. Her handmaiden is alright.

But most other characters are just straight up bad The less is said about Jaffar the better. I don't mind giving this character some kind of backstory, but dude could he be any more wack. Completely non-threatening and lacking in anything resembling screen presence. Then there's the sultan who might as well some nameless extra in the background. OTOH I love the OG Sultan, such a funny little character. They really screwed up with those two. Just being different for different's sake.

So overall I think this movie is basically succeeding on the strength of the original and also thanks to Will Smith. So they didn't mess it up too bad. Still mostly shares the same story and the same music, but it could've been better. I think it's gonna end up being a huge crowd pleaser though. Overall a pretty good effort if disconnected from the fact that it's a remake of a superior film.

Funnily enough I think the nostalgia that makes me nitpick the shit out of it also helped me enjoy it more than I would have probably. :P

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I saw it this afternoon. Didn't think it was great, but I went in with low expectations, and I enjoyed myself overall. Like Beauty and the Beast, I didn't care so much for the new songs, but I thought most of the originals were fairly well done. The One Jump Ahead scene was weird, and I didn't particularly like this version of Friend Like Me. The latter just made me miss Robin.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone on the fence about whether to see this film or not, don't be, go see it. I really enjoyed it and I thought it was going to be a disaster. Well played Guy Ritchie, well played.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to catch it this afternoon since Godzilla is apparently butt. It was probably better than I was expecting. Entertaining, even with its warts. It stuck a little too close to the original, especially the dialogue (specifically Genie, thought they'd shy away from Robin Williams as much as possible but I guess not) but ultimately that's probably what they are going for. The musical numbers were fine. I actually thought human genie was really good, but blue CG genie had this strange combination of the uncanny valley CG, and Will's dialogue/delivery being so stilted and off, I'm assuming those parts were filmed/recorded separately, at least it felt that way. Kind of wonder if they should have just let Will play this genie as more of a human the entire time, but then you lose a lot of the spectacle i guess.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Just got out from seeing it. Maybe it's the fact that Aladdin is my favorite Disney movie, but I fucking loved the remake/reimagining.

It's not perfect of course, but still highly entertaining. Will Smith was great, in fact the whole cast was.

Although I do wish Jafar in this one would have said "YOUR REWARD, YOUR ETERNAL REWARD" lmao

Oct 25, 2017
I liked that a lot more than I thought I was going to. One Jump Ahead left me cold, but by the time the genie showed up, I was mostly on board. Naomi Scott was great.

Re:Will Smith he was better than I thought he would be, but I still wish they'd gone a different way with the casting. The fact that it did end with basically the same rap that Demi Adejuyigbe made up was pretty funny.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
While it wasn't as bad as I though it'd be, I still didn't like it. Most of the changes from the original just left me scratching my head and Will Smith can't sing at all. Atabian Nights was especially terrible.

Some random thoughts:

- They removed every single mention of Islam.

- The entire movie is weirdly devoid of humour. And the few comedic scenes there are are of the "lol so awkward" type.

- Due to the rearranging of some scenes some stuff felt incredibly rushed (especially the beginning). I saw a comment saying "The original is 90 minutes and perfectly paced and this is 128 minutes and somehow feels rushed." I completely agree.

- Framing Jafar as some sort of weird incel is an, uhm, interesting choice.

- Speechless is terrible. Holy shit. Talk about the absolute worst place to put a song. They literally pause the movie to have Jasmine sing the song. It also felt incredibly redundant since the message of the song has been repeated through dialogue already so many times before she starts singing. If you completely deleted that scene it chamges absolutely nothing.

- Some of the VFX work is awful as well. The Genie in Genie-form looks very bad and A Whole New World's green screem is incredibly obvious.

- Oh my sweet Iago, what the hell did they do to you?

- DJ KHALEEEEEED

Just saw it today and I agree with a lot of these points.

I don't think I'll go out of my way to see it again, but if it's on TV I might stop and watch it.

Also, was anyone else surprised at that "washing the cat" joke?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched this today.

It was absolutely excruciating.

The movie only works when Will Smith is in human form. Every other scene was dire. Blue Smith is... an uncanny valley nightmare. The songs are all flat. The humor is trying. A lot of the problems come from stretching scenes out way longer than in the original film, yet somehow most of the characters end up being less interesting in this version.

Maybe I'm being hyperbolic, I dunno. But i legit considered walking out at several points in the movie.

Side note, I really hated how Blue Genie moved. Trying to blend realism with squash-n-stretch zaniness just doesn't work.

Just got out from seeing it. Maybe it's the fact that Aladdin is my favorite Disney movie, but I fucking loved the remake/reimagining.

It's not perfect of course, but still highly entertaining. Will Smith was great, in fact the whole cast was.

Although I do wish Jafar in this one would have said "YOUR REWARD, YOUR ETERNAL REWARD" lmao
I dunno, man, this script is nowhere near as well-crafted and memorable as the original and characters like Jafar, the Sultan and Iago have zero charisma. Even when it's lifting lines directly from the original the delivery dulls the shine.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched this over the weekend and I still prefer the original movie over this as the live action version suffers heavily from pacing problem, a weak lead character, a new song that really didn't need to exist, a weak villain.

Will Smith was good as genie as rather than try have have him copy Robin William Genie, he just did it his own style. I still prefer Robins Genie though as I love his manic energy and I just feel that he shows more heart. Not that Will Smith isn't capable of showing heart just that he wasn't given the chance.

I also liked the the Genie/Handmaiden romance but it really needed to be fleshed out more and just ties back to my biggest problem with the pacing, the movie just doesn't allow any scene breathing time so it's just all rushed.

Oct 28, 2017
California
I watched this today.

It was absolutely excruciating.

The movie only works when Will Smith is in human form. Every other scene was dire. Blue Smith is... an uncanny valley nightmare. The songs are all flat. The humor is trying. A lot of the problems come from stretching scenes out way longer than in the original film, yet somehow most of the characters end up being less interesting in this version.

Maybe I'm being hyperbolic, I dunno. But i legit considered walking out at several points in the movie.

Side note, I really hated how Blue Genie moved. Trying to blend realism with squash-n-stretch zaniness just doesn't work.

I dunno, man, this script is nowhere near as well-crafted and memorable as the original and characters like Jafar, the Sultan and Iago have zero charisma. Even when it's lifting lines directly from the original the delivery dulls the shine.

Yeah fair points the Sultan and Jafar did feel a little flat, but I thought Jafar would have turned out to be a total disaster based off of the trailers, but he was ok.

Not as good as the original, but like I said I was still entertained.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
My wife and I LOVED it.

Magical movie. Our daughter is too young so we went ourselves for a date night, and got swept away in the charm of it all. This was really made with love for a new generation and it deserves its success.

All the principles sold it well, good chemistry everywhere, plausible motivations, and the modernization of Jasmine I thought was a real home run... it was understated, but to shift her sexuality into a more assertive ambition and drive was well handled, and the pivot to not elevating Aladdin but instead Jasmine I thought was deft and timely. To have her desire to be sultan come through because she made these men listen to her and see her for who she was - she didn't have to change so much as to be brave enough to show them who she was - and to actually get the title based on her actions, instead of giving Aladdin Princedom by her father and marrying into it - was flawless. Beautiful moment empowering and I can't went for my daughter to see that one day.

Will Smith nailed it and owned every scene he was in. All his added plot scenes were clever and fit in well with the themes of the film.

favorite live action Disney film of all the reboots.
Not even sure what I could complain about even if I tried. Jafar having a deeper voice? Eh, by the end the guy just went full crazy and he did it pretty well so it was all good for me

Last edited:

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Saw this weekend and enjoyed it way more than expected. I liked that Smith really did his own thing. Great casting all around actually. The addition of Jasmine's friend worked well. Was cracking up at the jams.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I never saw the original (plan to) but i loved this movie, Will Smith fucking carried this, Dahlia was also very pleasant as well. A Whole New World had some super weird camera shit going on and Speechless just felt like it came out of nowhere in a bad way. Can't wait for the soundtrack really

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it a few days ago and I've decided I like this movie.

As most people here, I went in with low expectations, but I definitely had a good time. I appreciate how Will Smith approached Genie. He knew Robin Williams crushed the role and that it wasn't going to be easy, but I think he successfully managed to make it his own. Naomi Scott also won me over. She proved me wrong - the entire Speechless section was when I realized this movie had a reason to exist. Maybe it's because it was new and unexpected, but I think it was a great attempt at modernizing the character - not to mention the song itself is great. I never thought about it until now, but Jasmine really lacked a solo song, so I'm glad she got it here.

Jafar, on the other hand... Everything surrounding him was botched in this version. I don't fully blame Marwan Kenzari, but I don't think he was the right fit for the role. Jafar should be sinister and menacing, which I never thought he was here. The climax was also underwhelming...
He doesn't turn into a snake, Jasmine doesn't get trapped in an hourglass - there's no sense of urgency like in the animation.
This is where the movie falls apart.

The rearranged music is mostly great. I actually prefer this new version of Arabian Nights. The original was short, but this one is longer and has additional lyrics. I also thought Will Smith did a good job with the vocals.

Overall, as I mentioned, it was a good time. I think it's significantly better than the other live-action remakes I've seen from Disney. I don't know how often I'll rewatch it when the original exists. I don't think it was as good, but I also don't think it needs to be. It's its own thing and I think fans of the original should at least give it a chance.

Last edited:

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Saw today, questions...

So genie brings carpet back? Carpet is sentient though, right? Looks line genie can and does raise the dead

And did I miss something, but it looks like genie didn't have magic powers anymore after being free. This world is totally screwed once Abys Mal shows up.

And at the end when Aladdin was saying "second," I totally expected him to say "second rate" referencing Return of Jafar. How did they miss that?

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Saw today, questions...

So genie brings carpet back? Carpet is sentient though, right? Looks line genie can and does raise the dead

And did I miss something, but it looks like genie didn't have magic powers anymore after being free. This world is totally screwed once Abys Mal shows up.

And at the end when Aladdin was saying "second," I totally expected him to say "second rate" referencing Return of Jafar. How did they miss that?
Yeah, Genie just straight up becomes a normal human being. I guess Disney doesn't want any sequels.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, Genie just straight up becomes a normal human being. I guess Disney doesn't want any sequels.
It'd be a fun thought experiment to watch the series and see how long they survive without genie's magic saving their asses. Would they even make it one episode?

And that's if we ignore Return of Jafar for the sake of argument.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I would actually like to see them tackle the two sequels. They have more room for improvement and there's less pressure on Disney's part. I doubt it'll happen though.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I liked the movie.
I do have to say I didn't really like Jafar, the animated Jafar was much better.
Also, Jasmine's actress is an amazing singer compared to everyone else, so it makes sense that they gave her a new song...
but I thought her new song was out of place personally, it didn't really match the whimsical tone of the rest of the old songs, it sounds like a western pop ballad compared to the very broadway sounding original songs.
Also I did not really like Aladdin's character arc, he kind of becomes a jerk for all of 25 seconds, then sings 10 seconds of "street rat" and decides he is a good guy again. That was really rushed.
Still I liked it, Will Smith was great.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Now that I've watched it over the weekend, here are my thoughts:

I agree that Will Smith was fine... as long as he didn't try to imitate Robin Williams. He did his best with the material given to him, but it was clear he was struggling at times.
Aladdin and Jasmine did well with their roles. Jafar though... he was clearly miscast in this role. He didn't really fit how I pictured him.
The choreography was alright, but it's painfully inadequate compared to the animated movie. This would have been a herculean task to match in live action regardless. Again, it begs to question why to do so besides making more money.
The more I think of it, the more I get ticked for not having the Prince Ali reprise. Speechless is okay, but didn't do much for me. Disney stays scoreless in the new live-action song content .

Overall, it could have been better, but it's a slight upgrade from Dumbo. 5.75/10

That .5 was deducted specifically for having a genie who fucks like who the hell was asking for that?

Last edited:

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Scar though... he was clearly miscast in this role. He didn't really fit how I pictured him.

That may be because Scar should be in Lion King, not Aladdin :p

Genie wanting to be 'human' (possibly again) makes sense. Could have ended up like a Genie similar to Jafar. That's why he knows the power hungry type.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I had some pretty low expectations going into this, but I liked it a lot!

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Jafar and Sultan were bad, but I liked it. Wasn't sure if Speechless was in tone with the movie(the lyrics work just the rendition sounds frozen esque). Placement was odd but it had a good message.

Genie was great, Aladdin was great. Jasmine was also great

Jam scene had me dying

Arabian Nights in this>>>>>original

8/10 for me. Probably one of the more enjoyable Disney remakes.

Neidii

Oct 30, 2017
I have to say, I went in to this film with the expectation that Will Smith was gonna be a huge meme and that the rest was going to be meh. When credits rolled I realized I had been completely wrong and was blown away. I loved it! Will Smith carries this movie, he is a fantastic genie! Loved all the songs. Jasmin was really good, liked the additions to her story and character. 8/10

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have to say, I went in to this film with the expectation that Will Smith was gonna be a huge meme and that the rest was going to be meh. When credits rolled I realized I had been completely wrong and was blown away. I loved it! Will Smith carries this movie, he is a fantastic genie! Loved all the songs. Jasmin was really good, liked the additions to her story and character. 8/10
I was surprised and really enjoyed the extra effort they put into her story. She actually sings too which shocked the hell out of me.. she's just great overall.

Speechless is an enjoyable and fitting addition.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the original and went in expecting the remake to be inferior but okay in its own right, nothing special. A few days later here I am having seen it three times.

I'd argue the remake is better than the original in most aspects. The character changes to Genie and Jasmine in particular were perfectly fitting of their respective characters. My god especially Jasmine. She actually feels like a more realized character, and her ambition fits far better than in the original. Speechless was also a "Let it Go" moment for me. You can really feel the emotion from Naomi, to the point where she's on the verge of tears by the end which hit me every time I watched it.

Honestly this is probably a top 20 Disney Movie for me.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I would actually like to see them tackle the two sequels. They have more room for improvement and there's less pressure on Disney's part. I doubt it'll happen though.
If they did, I'd want something a little more original than Return of Jafar at least, just lazily rehashing the story beats of the first movie. The final battle even uses mostly the same music.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Also, Jasmine's actress is an amazing singer compared to everyone else, so it makes sense that they gave her a new song...
but I thought her new song was out of place personally, it didn't really match the whimsical tone of the rest of the old songs, it sounds like a western pop ballad compared to the very broadway sounding original songs.
Yeah, her songs stood out because they didn't seem to be happening within the movie compared to the others. Just weirdly placed and a different style. And she's a really good singer, the disparity was kinda noticeable in A Whole New a World.
If they did, I'd want something a little more original than Return of Jafar at least, just lazily rehashing the story beats of the first movie. The final battle even uses mostly the same music.
Iago isn't even a character in the remake so a remake of Return of Jaffar would need a new plot.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
We went to it and loved it! Gorgeous visuals and great music.

I thought Will Smith and Abu were awesome!

Jasmines performance singing and acting crushed Aladdins imo and during "A Whole New World" I thought her vocals were on another level than his. He wasn't bad she was just great.

Jafar was just fair.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I think when people get over their "its not robin williams so its not good" and "jafar doesnt turn into a snake, so i hate it" there is actually a great family movie there that pays alot of homage to the cartoon version aswell as does some great new things of its own

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
loved it .. didnt like the new songs but understand they were there to help the new narritive. I think they really made it fit beside the original.

biRdy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Denver
As someone who didn't really care about the original Aladdin, I came out smiling and actually enjoying it.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- They removed every single mention of Islam.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of them erasing that and the writers and director clearly have never been to a Muslim wedding. Our Wedding are nothing like Western wedding and this is why white folks shouldn't really be writing stories without doing actual proper research.

a whole new world lacked , egypt, china, and parts of europe right?

Yes, they just stick close to the city.

I think when people get over their "its not robin williams so its not good" and "jafar doesnt turn into a snake, so i hate it" there is actually a great family movie there that pays alot of homage to the cartoon version aswell as does some great new things of its own

I am sorry no, it suffers from pacing problem as it rushes through the movies and as a brown skin person of colour. I feel that more effort could have gone into this movie than just making a mediocre movie.

It's true what they say, mediocre white male get the world handed to them while PoC have to work harder just to get a glimmer of a chance.