• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
MV5BMjQ2ODIyMjY4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzY4ODI2NzM@._V1_.jpg

The next line of Disney's long list of reboots, The House of Mouse hopes to rebound from the lackluster performance that was Dumbo to bring Arabian Nights in live-action form.

Synopsis
A kindhearted street urchin and a power-hungry Grand Vizier vie for a magic lamp that has the power to make their deepest wishes come true.

Cast
TBD

Mena Moussand as Aladdin
Naomi Scott as Jasmine
Will Smith as Genie
Marwan Kenzari as Jafar
Navid Negahban as The Sultan
Alan Tudyk as Iago
Frank Welker reprising as Abu

Since this thread is unlikely to be active that long for a spoilers thread, tag spoilers for the first 2 weeks of release.

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know most people here are negative about this, but I'm cautiously optimistic. It won't match the original, I'm going into the movie with that in mind just as I did with the previous remakes. But that doesn't mean it's bad just because it doesn't match the quality of one of my favorite movies of all time.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Wow am I the first review here? Nice... alright I'll start things off. Just came back from the theater.

Overall: Will Smith was great as the Genie. He literally stole the show in every scene he was in. His songs were also well done (don't let that GMA clip fool you, Prince Ali was actually good.)

Now for the rest of the film... yeah. It starts of bad.. like REALLY BAD. One Jump is horribly done, Aladdin and Jasmine are introduced in seconds and the song just starts. The pacing is also bad. They actually fast forward the scene so it matches the beat of the music, and it's incredibly jarring. Aladdin is fine, Jasmine is not good, and their chemistry is non-existent. Jafar is w/e, not particularly good or bad. The film picks up around the middle and is carried by Will Smith until the end. There are some changes from the original, they expand on certain aspects of Aladddin and Jasmine's character. I feel like Guy Ritchie was the worst person to pick for this. The most jarring thing about this movie is the pacing during the songs. There's no buildup and they're not done well at all (Sans Friend like Me and Prince Ali). Everything else is just ok... Beauty and the Beast was better.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OP's cast is really damn good... I'm going to play that movie in my head, and skip this turd.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Resetera has quite the hate boner for this movie. I expected to see and hear some terrible things but as usual era is just being the overdramatic kid.

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
Resetera has quite the hate boner for this movie. I expected to see and hear some terrible things but as usual era is just being the overdramatic kid.

lol i mean when trash like Beauty and the Beast is rocking a 70%, I dont think theres room to call Aladdin at 59% all that great.

Literally only Dumbo so far has worse reviews for these live action Disney flicks so far.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like nothing Disney remakes will ever again hit the highs of their near-perfect Cinderella remake (it just missed songs and talking animals, but the script and casting and writing were soo good)

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The carpet chase in the third act is so fucking ugly lmao. Reminded me of that crappy chariot chase from last year's Robin Hood. Just a blurry mess of bad CGI.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I....really really liked it. I liked it a lot. I'd love remakes of Return of Jafar and The King of Thieves.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Just got out of an early screening that my school held.

Will and Naomi were the two who seemed the most into the role. I actually really like Will as the Genie. It just bothered me that his songs were on the more flat side compared to Robins. Like there was a ceiling he was hitting when the song should have been hitting a higher note but wasn't.

Jafar was as bland and boring as the trailer depicted him. Didn't really care much for Mena as Aladdin although his singing voice sounded pretty damn close to the original. The main problem is pretty much the problem I had with the Prince Ali clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxd96_p47o0

Everything just looks so staged, bland, clean and small. Once the Genie and Aladdin are inside the palace walls, they have conversations of Aladdin telling Jasmine the truth. Problem is that it's all taken place on this super small patio with a huge CGI backdrop.

Overall an okay film but just feels pointless. Doesn't change enough from the original to warrant it so you just end up comparing.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Overall: Will Smith was great as the Genie. He literally stole the show in every scene he was in. His songs were also well done (don't let that GMA clip fool you, Prince Ali was actually good.)

Now for the rest of the film... yeah. It starts of bad.. like REALLY BAD. One Jump is horribly done, Aladdin and Jasmine are introduced in seconds and the song just starts. The pacing is also bad. They actually fast forward the scene so it matches the beat of the music, and it's incredibly jarring.

Will did steal the show as the Genie. No Robin Williams but he makes it his own which is best he could do. I agree with One Jump. Song was fine, but the scene itself just looked bad. Can easily tell they sped up / slowed down spots for no reason besides 'trying' to match lips to song. Should have been redone to match better in real time which im really surprised they didn't.

Rest of the movie was decent tho. Just sucks it started off on a bland note.

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
Surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The trailers and sneak peaks really don't do it justice.

Agree with the weirdness of some of the filming of certain songs, but Prince Ali and Friend Like Me definitely impressed me.

Will Smith did great. Obviously no one is Robin Williams, but he made Genie is own and it worked. Probably my favorite part of the movie is how much more active Jasmine is compared to the original. One scene in particular towards the end allowed Naomi Scott to bring a strength to the character that was alluded to but not shown in the original.

Probably my favorite of the live action remakes, even if I recognize Jungle Book is the better movie overall.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Everything just looks so staged, bland, clean and small. Once the Genie and Aladdin are inside the palace walls, they have conversations of Aladdin telling Jasmine the truth. Problem is that it's all taken place on this super small patio with a huge CGI backdrop.

100 times THIS!
All the places in the original that were giant (The cave of wonders, the Palace Throne Room, Aghrabah) were all so small and tiny in this film. Hell Aladdin could see the exit to the cave of wonders from the Genie's Lamp. That's not a cave, that's a hole.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Saw this tonight.

What an absolute fucking shit show.

I should mention, of the Disney live-action remakes: I like Beauty and the Beast well enough. Thought Jungle Book was pretty strong. And Cinderella is one of my favorite movies ever (it's just so pure). I'm a huge Disney fan.

This was just... so bad. So, so bad. I'm going to collect my thoughts and write some more on it tomorrow. 'Friend Like Me' in particular is one of my favorite Disney songs, and they butchered it so badly. I could feel myself sinking into my seat as the song went on.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Go in with low expectations.

I've seen the movie and I actually think it's decent. The singing isn't nearly as good as the original, but it's okay. I wanted more romance with jasmine... it has less than the original. But overall I expected worse from this movie. I like the new jasmine song...it's better than the new beauty and the beast music.

Disney needs to stop with these remakes. Maybe make live action sequels or something. These movies are no where near the quality of the original films. I fear for lion king.

Last edited:

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Just got back

Too long, the main 3 are fine though. I thought will Smith was going to be dreadful but was great. The songs were solid, but when speechless started going and shit was disappearing it was so god damn stupid. They could have implemented that song way better.

My buddy fell asleep by the end, I stayed up through but damn this movie was just utterly boring from basically start to finish.

Also the forced love relationship with genie........eeeeehhhhhhhh

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the movie. It was a enjoyable film and while it may never top original it did its job. I enjoyed this better than all other live action Disney films.

Harusame

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
Just came back from the theatre. Went in with slightly low expectations due to some of the reviews so far, but I actually quite enjoyed the movie a lot. The only weakest part of the movie was Jafar, but all the other actors played their part well. Will Smith and Naomi Scott were brilliant during all the musical aspects. It is hard not compare this movie to the original animated movie, but I see this movie in line with the stage play renditions of Aladdin on Broadway and the one they had at California adventure. They are very good in their own rendition, and while the animated movie was excellent, this movie rendition is very good in its own aspect.

Overall I had an enjoyable time with this movie. Definitely wished I didn't have any pre-conceptions coming into the movie due to the reviews.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I expected to hate it, but really enjoyed it. Will Smith was great as the genie and I actually rather like some of the changes and additions.

Apr 19, 2018
Re-posting my impressions from the Review Thread:

It's very solid fare, and I left on a good high. They pull the right amount of elements from the original to make it an earnest retelling, with enough differences to not make it slavishly so. It's pretty much what I had hoped for.

What I dug:

- Menken's new score. He understands the legacy of these songs better than anyone, and he integrates their melodies into several key scenes. Arabian Nights in particular has a far larger presence, thanks to how it now serves as a villain motif to Jafar. A Whole New World also gets some very memorable reprisals.

- Those Bollywood-style dance numbers are spectacular. The harvest dance sequence is a lot of fun, and even the obligatory all-cast number during the finale was welcome.

- Will Smith's Genie. True, there are a lot of Smith-isms on display and more than once you're going to be reminded of his character in Hitch, but he makes for one helluva entertaining wingman to Aladdin. I'm also impressed by how much of the Genie's powers are on display; you really only get a glimpse in the clips and trailers, but he goes full-tilt with magic in the film, and it translates well to live-action.

- Prince Ali is far and away my favorite musical sequence. The clip doesn't do the full scene justice; in context and on the big screen, it is a showstopper in the truest sense of the word.

-I'll admit that I thought Dalia would have been a superfluous addition, but she's a welcome presence to the cast. She shares some of the better comedic beats with Genie and Jasmine.

- Rajah. I was delighted when he was first revealed to be in the movie after initial reports saying that he wouldn't be. He gets plenty of screentime too.

What I felt a little more ambivalent about:

- While both Speechless and A Whole New World are musically sound (Scott belts out great performances), their accompanying sequences are much less interesting. The green-screen is noticeably rough during A Whole New World, and it was enough to take me out of the scene.

- Iago is largely stripped of his character, serving as little more than a glorified surveillance drone. I understand the decision to ground him more in reality, but paring down his dialogue to the bare minimum of squawking repeated phrases is a disappointing contrast to Gottfried's memorable turn in the original.

- The Sultan, too, is a far less interesting figure, due to his low-key performance. It's another inevitable case of comparing what came before, but I imagine most are going to miss that affably goofy side of the character.

- I wasn't feeling this Jafar for a lot of the film. I get the sense that they were maybe trying to go for a less overtly wicked version, but in the process eliminated the deliciously villainous charm of the character. What we end up with is a Jafar that's still painfully (and frustratingly) obvious in his evil machination, while portraying it in the most paint-by-the-numbers generic bad guy way possible. (And yes, no Prince Ali Reprise either.)

Last edited: