• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're being a bit harsh on The Man From Uncle there.
I said it was decent (I very much enjoyed it) lol. But I'm also basing this on critical census. There are many films/games that I liked that I know were viewed as dismal. Anthem is a good example of that. There's probably someone who thinks King Arthur was a great film too. So I'm referring to the general critical census.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
They review worse but make way more money.

Beauty and the Beast (1991) made a little over 400 million dollars worldwide, although obviously much of that is in 1991 dollars.

All the same, Beauty and the Beast (2017) made over 500 million dollars *domestically.* 1.26 billion worldwide.

Even a second-string property like Jungle Book made over a billion.

I actually am glad that this movies are nothing more than cash grabs, and that they end up being very far away in quality from the orignals. The animated movies will be forever the "real" Disney's Aladdin and BatB, Jungle Book, etc. I think even Disney is quite aware of this. If they wanted anything else they wouldn't be copying their own stories bit by bit, they would try to do different things with them. They just want to appeal to nostalgia and to provide a fun moviegoing experience, they aren't trying to create everlasting classics, because they have them already.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That looked better. Like, I'm not gritting my teeth or anything. I agree with the takes that Aladdin lacks charisma which is why the Prince Ali bit worked in the first place. But I digress. Not looking like a total dumpster fire anymore.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
UGH MY CHILDHOOD

They made Alladin a muslin
Genie is now a middle aged comedy actor
They cast the princess as a WOMAN just to appeal to sjw
And to top it all there's SONGS IN IT NOW!!!? What is this? LA LA LAND!!?
Oh and the emphasis on platform style parkour is pure assassin's creed money chasing
MtLVSWC.gif
I'm honestly surprised that there isn't more outrage from the right complaining that this movie promotes Islam and Sharia law.

giphy.gif

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I actually am glad that this movies are nothing more than cash grabs, and that they end up being very far away in quality from the orignals. The animated movies will be forever the "real" Disney's Aladdin and BatB, Jungle Book, etc. I think even Disney is quite aware of this. If they wanted anything else they wouldn't be copying their own stories bit by bit, they would try to do different things with them. They just want to appeal to nostalgia and to provide a fun moviegoing experience, they aren't trying to create everlasting classics, because they have them already.

I would say the Jungle Book was fairly different, far more dramatic and less musical. It was probably the most successful remake compared with the likes of Beauty and the Beast that reference the animation almost shot by shot. I'm not sure Favreau make the same kind of changes to The Lion King without a massive fan backlash though, although the Broadway/West End version is already different and absolutely brilliant.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks better, but it's still not as creative or visually interesting as the original... That might be a problem...

Oct 25, 2017
I still think this movie is unnecessary, but it's cool to see so much brown skin on the big screen at once in a major US motion picture.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Looks much better. I never hated Will Smith as the genie as much as the rest of the internet but now I'm sold on it.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure it won't be very good but it's hard to pass up anything with the music from Aladdin and the Lion King.

It does look good though.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I still think this movie is unnecessary, but it's cool to see so much brown skin on the big screen at once in a major US motion picture.
There should have been brown people behind the camera and in the creative process as well. It's not like they brought on board a Hollywood heavy weight either, so Disney can't even argue they were aiming for bonafide and established talent.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Aladdin I'm meh on, I think he'll be fine.
Jasmine looks great, Abu looks great.
Genie looks a lot better here.
I look forward to seeing Michael Cera's take on Jafar.

Seems like they kinda blew their load with the music in this trailer. I wish they would have saved Whole New World.
Much better though.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Looks amazing, especially post a whole new world bit.

Very colourful.

A complete turnaround from the other awful teasers.

The casting barring Will Smith is still terrible.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
In the next trailer, if they've got it, they need to -
  • Show off Naomi Scott's performance a bit.
  • Show something with a bit of chemistry between Aladdin and Jasmine.
  • Show Jafar being actually menacing.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Aladdin is my fav disney film so I will see it regardless

Not sure what to think of Genie though, but at least Will Smith seems to be enjoying himself

Jafar looks like bad to me though, he's not creepy at all. He also always striked me as like a dude in his 40's at least in the animation

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Looks ok to me in this trailer and I loved Aladdin growing up. Maybe it's cause I'm so use to Robin Williams singing the song as Genie, but I'm not feeling it with Will in that spot at all.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
In a twist of fate, Will Smith looks like he'll be the best part of this, which is promising, because the Aladdin/Genie relationship is far and away the most important thing in the story.

Oct 26, 2017
Waaaaaaay better than the last two teasers.

I'm still very whelmed by this, and I can tell that Aladdin's actor will probably be the weakest part of the movie.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
UGH MY CHILDHOOD

They made Alladin a muslin
Genie is now a middle aged comedy actor
They cast the princess as a WOMAN just to appeal to sjw
And to top it all there's SONGS IN IT NOW!!!? What is this? LA LA LAND!!?
Oh and the emphasis on platform style parkour is pure assassin's creed money chasing
MtLVSWC.gif

Uhhhh...

Deleted member 25445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Whoever keeps color grading these movies just absolutely sucks.

collage-comparison.jpg

Beauty and the Beast was exactly the same and The Lion King looks no different. Nothing but dull, drab, lifeless shit.

Color is in fact, not for babbies. Live action movies can actually have deep, bold and striking colors.
I wholeheartedly agree. It's SUCH a shame.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Looks awful. Glad we bought our niece the blu ray of the animated one so she doesn't grow up thinking this is Aladdin.

Next up for her: Lion King.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jafar is hilariously miscast. Actor is too young and his voice isn't intimidating at all. I don't know how I feel about Genie yet. I absolutely love Will Smith to death, but I can't help but feel underwhelmed with the little I've seen so far compared to Robin Williams. I'm willing to give it a chance, though. Aladdin and Lion King were the two biggest movies I group up with as a kid. Saw both of them in theaters as a small child and I will always love those films.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jafar is looks like a much better sexier catch then Alladin. Go to him, Princess.