• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Del Marsh, a state senator in Alabama, said he's "not concerned" with the spike in infections and touted the controversial idea of herd immunity.

A GOP lawmaker in Alabama said he's "not concerned" about the current spike in cases of the coronavirus in the state.

"In fact, quite honestly, I want to see more people, because we start reaching an immunity as more people have it and get through it," Alabama state Sen. Del Marsh told reporters Thursday.

"I don't want any deaths — as few as possible," he continued. "So those people who are susceptible to the disease, especially those with preexisting conditions, elderly population, those folks, we need to do all we can to protect them. But I'm not concerned. I want to make sure that everybody can receive care. And right now we have, to my knowledge as of today, we still have ample beds."

www.huffpost.com

GOP State Lawmaker: 'I Want To See More People' Get Coronavirus

Del Marsh, a state senator in Alabama, said he's “not concerned” with the spike in infections and touted the controversial idea of herd immunity.

Never forget that the "pro life" GOP is a death cult. To achieve herd immunity, we would end up with about 2 million dead based on the current death rate. And we may sadly get there at this rate, especially if Trump gets reelected. Meanwhile, cases are spiking in Alabama along with the rest of the south. They just had 2,200 cases yesterday according to World-o-meter and have reached 1,000 deaths.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Fucking herd immunity idea is such a scourge. Apparently Rush Limbaugh has been spreading that bullshit everywhere.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
I'm continuously shocked by the lack of humanity of these Republicans when honestly, I shouldn't be. But this kind of harrowing disregard for life is too shocking to get used to.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
People still think letting this virus rampage through the population is a good idea? How many more people need infected to achieve this kind of herd immunity? How will hospitals cope? How long does this immunity last? How many people will die? How many people will be left with long-term health problems?

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
two questions:

do we even know the long term effects of covid?

are you immune to it once you get it?

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Ahh yes, the new emerging series of "simpletons discussing science" content I hear so much about

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It is either an excuse to avoid paying people to stay home or just plain evil.

Or both! Never underestimate the GOP!

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Apparently herd immunity through infection in the US would require around 200 million people infected from COVID. Scale the amount of current deaths to that. This is what the GOP wants. And that's before finding out definitively if one cannot be reinfected.

Last edited:

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Why is the term herd immunity even being used here? That's a term you use when talking about getting everyone vaccinated, not sick.

Oct 30, 2017
Herd immunity?
I don't really know enough about the concept. And I'm going to confidently assume that neither does this guy.

As far as we know, 1% of the US population has gotten this virus. Maybe a bit more since we no doubt have under counted cases or do not know who has been asymptomatic and have had the virus.

Herd immunity? At what percentage of the population do we consider a population to have herd immunity?

But it also seems potentially possible to get the virus again especially if mutates to a new strand.
And this also doesn't account for the rest of the world. While the US is dealing with hundreds of thousands of new cases every month, why would the rest of the world open up to the US? Countries won't want us entering. And vice versa. People are not going to want to visit here. That has all sorts of negative effects.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Intentionally spreading a disease which may cause permanent lung (and now it's suggested brain) damage is insane.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
two questions:

Side effects appear to be brain damage, heart damage, lung damage for hospitalized survivors.
Nobody seems to be talking about how people are not out of the woods if they recover.

Unsure if there is permanent immunity

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not overjoyed with "herd immunity" being flagged as a 'controversial idea'; it is a thing - and a very important thing for people who can't be vaccinated - the point is more that it's not a justification to actively try to get people infected!

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
two questions:

Nope. Just read on ESPN that there is a Brooklyn Nets player who will miss the restart of the NBA season because he just tested positive for the virus for the second time after having tested positive and getting over it back in May.

Also, one of the long-term effects that has been reported is declining lung capacity and functionality.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Herd immunity?
I don't really know enough about the concept. And I'm going to confidently assume that neither does this guy.

As far as we know, 1% of the US population has gotten this virus. Maybe a bit more since we no doubt have under counted cases or do not know who has been asymptomatic and have had the virus.

Herd immunity? At what percentage of the population do we consider a population to have herd immunity?

But it also seems potentially possible to get the virus again especially if mutates to a new strand.
And this also doesn't account for the rest of the world. While the US is dealing with hundreds of thousands of new cases every month, why would the rest of the world open up to the US? Countries won't want us entering. And vice versa. People are not going to want to visit here. That has all sorts of negative effects.

You need around 70% of a population to be immune to achieve effective herd immunity.

It's absolute madness to suggest herd immunity without a vaccine is a viable strategy to combat the coronavirus.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't it take years and years of pain, suffering, death, millions (billions?) of dollars in healthcare to reach herd immunity?

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
www.huffpost.com

GOP State Lawmaker: 'I Want To See More People' Get Coronavirus

Del Marsh, a state senator in Alabama, said he's “not concerned” with the spike in infections and touted the controversial idea of herd immunity.

Never forget that the "pro life" GOP is a death cult. To achieve herd immunity, we would end up with about 2 million dead based on the current death rate. And we may sadly get there at this rate, especially if Trump gets reelected. Meanwhile, cases are spiking in Alabama along with the rest of the south. They just had 2,200 cases yesterday according to World-o-meter and have reached 1,000 deaths.
"Herd immunity" is a bullshit idea. The very phrase is deceptive. All "herd immunity' actually does is let the disease take its toll and kill millions. It gets frames like it's a process to make us safe, when in fact it does the opposite.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
At this point it's hard to deny that the Republican Party is the party of "the economy (of the few at the very top who.. Control the party, directly and indirectly)", not the party of "the lives of the people".

That's what they are, that's what they want, and if people vote republican that's what they're getting willingly, unless they don't know, in which case it's necessary for the rest to educate as much people and as well as possible.

Thing is, from this people, you can't expect any better. That's what they're for. I know you're not. And at some point enough people (not much, /enough/) have to do something (literally anything could be) that makes the effective statement of "We don't want this for us anymore".

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
two questions:

It's literally impossible to know how long immunity lasts after infection right now, since if it lasts, say, 8 months, we'd need a bunch of people who got the virus 8 months ago to catch it again. And keep in mind immunity could last 8 months but that doesn't mean once they're no longer immune they'll immediately catch it again

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
Nope. Just read on ESPN that there is a Brooklyn Nets player who will miss the restart of the NBA season because he just tested positive for the virus for the second time after having tested positive and getting over it back in May.

Also, one of the long-term effects that has been reported is declining lung capacity and functionality.

Well, your first point about reinfection isn't entirely true from what we know.... there are people who've tested positive, gotten over it, tested negative, and then later positive again due to lingering dead virus cells in the body.

I myself tested positive, symptoms essentially went away and got tested again two weeks after the symptoms started and was still positive. Just had another done on Tuesday (3 weeks after) and I wouldn't be surprised if it still shows me as positive despite not having a fever for 2 weeks now, no cough anymore, and my sense of smell and taste returning in full.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Don't a lot of survivors end up with cognitive issues? We're going to be a lot dumber as a country if we all have to get the disease. Also, I enjoy tasting my food and smelling things. I don't want to permanently lose that like a percentage of survivors are enduring.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
In May 2019, he co-sponsored a bill to change Alabama's ethics laws to allow lobbyists to give unlimited gifts to lawmakers. Also on the bill were measures to decriminalize bribery and to redefine key terms of the ethics laws in order to loosen their power to prevent corruption.[3]

In May 2020, during the COVID-19 pandemic, Marsh proposed using $200 million of CARES Act relief for the building of a new state house. $1.8 billion was given to the Alabama state government to be used for expenditures caused by the pandemic.[4]
This might be the worst politician.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Scientists need to find a way to harness stupidity. America has enough of it to power the worlds' energy needs for the next 1000 years.