• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Raftina

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
I lived in Alabama. My boss at the grocery store I worked at once told me "When they freedom of religion they were talking about freedom to be Christian without Church of England"
Americans tend to vastly overestimate the founders' wisdom, but the founders were at least aware that to guarantee religious freedom for themselves, they have to guarantee the same to all religions.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Americans tend to vastly overestimate the founders' wisdom, but the founders were at least aware that to guarantee religious freedom for themselves, they have to guarantee the same to all religions.
Very true. This guy was legit crazy, he even thought reading books that wasn't the Bible was dangerous.

That's why he gave me his lecture, I was reading an RPG book during my break.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Alabama, you so crazy...

"What should we do to increase our educational standards from dead last in the nation"

"...ban Yoga."
"Sir?"
"That's the answer. It'll solve EVERYTHING".

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
But why...? I'm so puzzled on why they waste effort banning something both beneficial to people and promotes self-improvement.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Freedom of religion unless it is any other religion besides Christianity

flag waving.gif

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
The bizarre thing is that a lot of small towns in Alabama have yoga studios because a lot of people have gotten over this nonsense.

But as per usual the crazies hold too much sway.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Mock them all you want, but can you truly guarantee that allowing yoga won't result in Alabama becoming an authoritarian hinduist theocracy in a few decades?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
There is no limit to their stupidity, is there?
These people should sue their parents, their teachers and their politicians for neglect and mental abuse. They live completely in a rotten fantasy of xenophobia and ancient nonsense that would be laughable for anyone if it wasn't so scary in this day and age.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Yoga is something that has been do westernized at this point that this argument makes no sense.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's terrifying to think what would happen if the entire country became Alabama. If these super red state politicians were in control of everything. Handmaiden's Tale is really not far off.

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
Mock them all you want, but can you truly guarantee that allowing yoga won't result in Alabama becoming an authoritarian hinduist theocracy in a few decades?
I feel like this is plausible in a terrifying way. Alabama isn't exactly showing itself as a state of moderation. Also, I thought there was a way to get past this? I thought Yoga was rebranded as Jesus poses? What a time to not be able to find the article that had that absurdity. But essentially, without ever mentioning the word yoga, they rebranded everything as something Jesus would have done. Then instead of clearing your mind for the meditation at the end it was something along the lines of saying a prayer on repeat.... aka a mantra.

swoon

Oct 25, 2017
on the plus side, this is maybe the only acknowledgement in america that yoga is apart of hinduism.

Disker

Sep 17, 2020
Then can practise it safe now at least.

Of they would said "ooohhhm" their minds would be like "Damn I should convert"

Now that won't happen.

The onion is writing itself these days.....

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
This is so so lame, those changes literally explain it all. Pathetic fucking white people. Embrace fiddle music and runrig as your heritage, not xenophobia, there is a choice

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
imagine spending time writing the laws here.

Imagine caring about this so much you called your congressperson.

Imagine enforcing this.

This is some footloose shit.

snow flakes.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's the 4kids version of yoga.

Why are these people so fucking concerned about the most inane shit?

TortadeJamon

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
And thanks to this nonsense, millions of people who had no idea that yoga was associated with Hinduism now know about it.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
lol @ banning the use of Sanskrit names. Fragile as fuck.

And even though this is Alabama, the majority of the GOP outside the state are the same kind of loony bins.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha the nerve of some people in fucking alabama demanding yoga stay banned because it can't be separated from Hinduism or Buddhism and amounts of religious activity.......why do I feel that argument would only be used against certain religions......

This whole thing is so stupid, not once have I seen someone do yoga and jumped to the thought they were doing a religious act even of some religious do it.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think I've come up with a way to sell this to the Alabama public. The only allowed Yoga pose from this point forward is "Christ the Redeemer" with your arms held straight out.

This really is some hillbilly Footloose shit. These people are literally worried about their children being converted to another religion at the slightest exposure to another cultural practice in their school. It's laughably naive and xenophobic.