• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020

Background on why yoga was banned
The Alabama Board of Education voted in 1993 to prohibit school personnel from "using any techniques that involve the induction of hypnotic states, guided imagery, meditation or yoga."

Bill to unban yoga failed to pass legislature
A ban on yoga in Alabama public schools is expected to stay a little longer as conservative groups raised objections to a bill that would have reversed the current restrictions.

At a public hearing on Wednesday, representatives from two conservative groups said they were worried it could lead to the promotion of Hinduism or guided meditation practices. The bill did not advance in the Alabama Senate Judiciary Committee.

Bill to unban yoga is progress, but... I wonder if the sponsor knows "goodbye" is short for "God be with ye".
Democratic representative Jeremy Gray of Opelika, who has been trying since 2019 to get the ban revoked, sponsored the bill. "This whole notion that if you do yoga, you'll become Hindu — I've been doing yoga for 10 years and I go to church and I'm very much a Christian," he said.

Mr Gray's bill would allow school systems to offer yoga as an elective activity. It says that "all instruction in yoga shall be limited exclusively to poses, exercises and stretching techniques" and that all techniques "shall have exclusively English descriptive names," according to NBC News.

Chanting, mantras and "namaste" greetings would be prohibited, the proposed legislation says.

Oct 26, 2017
As someone with family in Alabama: fuck Alabama. It's like they're going out of their way to be as ignorant as possible.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Small minded fuckers. Imagine giving such stupid people the power to influence anyone else's behavior. Absurd.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
These guys must live in constant anxiety, afraid of their own shadows.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't framing it as trying to stop the promotion of hinduism violating some kind of religious or freedom of speech right?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like an Alabama thing to do. But it would be flipped in a second if Nick Saban said that he wanted his future recruits to start practicing yoga in school.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oh Susan please do cry for me I can't do Yoga in Alabama to try to fix my knee.

This is beyond parody

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Remember this when they say "Freedom of Religion"

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I genuinely don't think most people this side of the globe are even aware that Yoga is Hindu.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking up Pilates info for my wife and one of the Google suggested questions was "Is Pilates safe for Christians?" and said that unlike yoga, there is no underlying spiritual teachings or chants in Pilates so it is safe for Christians.

People are idiots

Oct 29, 2017
This kind of nonsense is useful only for state officials to show their voters how racist they are as well. There's no actual value in it as policy.

In other words, virtue signaling. In other words, the very shit conservatives accuse leftists of doing.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
On one hand, I hate that white people and capitalism has watered down and commercialize yoga so much, and I also cringe every time white people casually exchange 'namaste' with other white people.

On the other hand, we all know the ban is due to racism/xenophobia, so fuck that ban. I'm sure they have no problem with schools teaching The Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
isn't this a blatant infringement on the First Amendment
IANAL, things vary by state and I don't know about Alabama, and I haven't even read the article just the excerpts in the OP, this is just my vague understanding of "the norm" in the US. And glossing over the fact that yoga isn't actually religious: for now we'll accept the GOP's argument and assume that yoga is fundamentally equivalent to, say, Bible study:

Public schools in the US generally aren't allowed to have teacher-led prayer groups or Bible study. Even as electives. Student-led bible clubs are allowed, and so I would expect a student-led yoga club is also allowed, but teachers can't be involved.

That's my understanding of how the first amendment is applied to public schools: since teachers are acting as agents of the state, any endorsement by them of a religion is seen as state endorsement of that religion, and thus verboten.

EDIT: Or to put it another way: students are allowed to pray in school, but teachers aren't allowed to lead them in prayer. Similarly, I expect that while teachers aren't allowed to lead them in yoga, students are allowed to do yoga. Or lead each other in prayer/yoga. And to reiterate: this prayer/yoga equivalence is nonsense and I'm not endorsing it, just explaining how, under its presumption, the usual first amendment protections might apply.

Dec 30, 2020
Remember, if you're ever cornered by an angry mob in Alabama, use your knowledge of the movement of the planets to claim that an eclipse is your doing and that you won't give the sun back until they let you leave.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
Tell you what Christian Faith healing sounds like it violates the ban, but I don't think they'll ban it for some reason...

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
As a (thankfully) former resident of Alabama, this is extremely on-brand.

Christ, what a shithole. Moving away from there was the best decision I've ever made.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Did not realize that the Yoga centers were hot bed for Hindu recruitment and conversion.

Someone ought to tell the legislators to ban Hindu-Arabic numerals from being taught in schools and used state-wide. Imagine good ol' faithful Christians being indoctrinated become some combination of Hindu and Muslim! *gasp*

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How often is yoga taught in schools? In a place like Alabama, I doubt it would make it into the curriculum anyway.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Legalizing the idea that it's criminal or unethical to make people even consider practicing a non-Christian religion seems to go against the very idea of freedom.

Oct 27, 2017
Who knew yoga centers were secretly Hindu recruitment centers
And who knows what type of insidiousness could come from...worshipping a different faith

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao @ a ban on yoga since 1993.

This country is so dumb and hateful yet there's always one story each year that takes me by surprise on how dumb this place is.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I lived in Alabama. My boss at the grocery store I worked at once told me "When they freedom of religion they were talking about freedom to be Christian without Church of England"

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
You're free to practice Christianity or Catholicism or nothing. What more freedom do you want??
Of course! Anything else is bound to breed close-mindedness, cult-like behavior & practices, and terrorism. Unlike Christianity or Catholicism which has never been the driving ideology behind any backwards views or major, historical, inhumane atrocities

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
This is the dumbest shit I've read today. God forbid these backwards ass hillbillies let normal people practice stretching, mindfulness, and gratitude. Sounds really bad for the moral fibre of society.