• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I should write a 'realistic' zombie movie with all the shit Covidiots have been doing, but it'll probably be laughed out due to being unrealistic.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Wouldnt the police getting confirmation from doctors for individuals violate some sort of laws?

The MLB isnt going to release who gets infected during the season, surely this is illegal?

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldnt the police getting confirmation from doctors for individuals violate some sort of laws?

The MLB isnt going to release who gets infected during the season, surely this is illegal?

Maybe it violates the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996:

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) | CDC

HIPAA is a federal law that requires the creation of national standards to protect sensitive patient health information from being disclosed.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The kids are idiots but this whole thing stems from their parents' stupid beliefs.

MANY people down here think you can have a chicken pox type party so your body will develop an immunity to the virus. It's quite dumb.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
The US is the dumbest piece of shit population of people on the planet. Fuck off

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

If they got tested by their school or the health department (or if the state of Alabama paid for the tests), they definately signed a release allowing public officials to contact trace.

Civil liberties are important, but that is absolutely not the concerning part of this story.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
giphy.gif
2020 has given this GIF so much use

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Alabama Man really trying to outdo Florida Man.

My closest friend lives in Alabama, and he can attest that they already do. Remember, the main reason Florida Man became such a meme, is because their state laws allow for a unique level of transparency when it comes to reporting on crime. But there are people just as dumb as Florida Man all across the country, and they're particularly common in the deep south. This is what happens when you systematically destroy public education, so people will remain ignorant enough that they'll repeatedly vote for politicians who don't care one iota about them.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Are we sure this is actually true?

It sounds like one of those Tide Pod or Bird Box hoaxes meant to make to take in gullible old people who will believe anything about the crazy youngsters these days.
www.cnn.com

Blindfolded Utah teen crashes her car while doing the 'Bird Box' challenge

A blindfolded teen crashed into another vehicle while doing the Bird Box challenge in Utah this week, police said.

I hope enough Zoomers live to help fund my future retirement.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
At least Millenials were never this bad. We never snorted condoms, ate tide pods or drank bleach, let alone infect ourselves with coronavirus.

Gen X produced these idiots? they were supposed to be the good ones.
Ok Boomer. It's always an incredibly small subset of the population. Stop falling for these stories.

edit - literally only 86 kids ate tide pods, that is such a small number.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
As much as I'm all for dunking on my state's educational standards and ignorance that's bred in more rural areas, I would place bets on this being moderately well-off suburban kids.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live here and I'm not even surprised. Sounds like the kind of stupid shit that some UA students would do.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I will never complain about stupid people in horror and disaster movies ever again.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If a student is knowingly trying to get themselves or others infected, they should be expelled.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Someone help me understand why this isn't a prosecutable crime? If someone knowingly spreads HIV there is criminal liability.

In this particular situation, it might be a stretch since it sounds like all are aware. But what about all the Kevin's and Karen's not wearing masks while getting in people's faces, sometimes purposefully coughing on food, ect... Can we start prosecuting them?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The great America experiment is officially over. You can thank an utter failure to educate the importance of critical thinking and common sense, which sadly was an intentional failure.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What in the fuck. What in the FUCK. I keep saying we are officially in "Idiocracy" but I think we are way worse at this point.
I'm not sure if it's even idiocy at this point, Americans have always been extremely callous and cynical about public health and safety. It's why we've all basically given up on trying to solve gun violence.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Not to say it 100% isn't happening but this is shoddy reporting.

The city council is quoting the fire chief, who said he spoke to local doctors who "confirmed" this gambling story and patient health histories? How the fuck does that work?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Not to say it 100% isn't happening but this is shoddy reporting.

The city council is quoting the fire chief, who said he spoke to local doctors who "confirmed" this gambling story and patient health histories? How the fuck does that work?

Reading further down it would seem they used contact tracing, no?
Chief Smith said it was a rumor at first but they investigated the unnamed students and confirmed it through local doctors offices and the state health department.

"We had seen over the last few weeks parties going on in the county, or throughout the city and county in several locations where students or kids would come in with known positives. We thought that was kind of a rumor at first....we did some additional research....not only did the doctor's offices help confirm it but the state confirmed they also had the same information," Smith said.

Katharsios

Mar 18, 2020
Germany
At least Millenials were never this bad. We never snorted condoms, ate tide pods or drank bleach, let alone infect ourselves with coronavirus.

Gen X produced these idiots? they were supposed to be the good ones.

Nah, can just speak for myself as Gen X represantative...

Staying home on my couch and shaking my head over those idiots thinking lock them up...

Not having children myself i can at least vouch for my friends children, they know how to behave in a pandemic...

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, now I feel foolish. I thought I believed there was no bottom to human stupidity but if this was presented to me as fiction, I wouldn't believe it. It's just so stupid. Vilely stupid. How many innocent people will be infected from this?

OK, this time, I promise, I understand there's no limit to human foolishness.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "purposefully trying to give each other Covid and gambling on it" sounds like the rainbow party bullshit boomers made up a decade ago. I'm sure college students are going to parties and contracting Covid that way, but a single Tuscaloosa county city councilmember and the local fire chief are not exactly perfect sources information for the behavior of college students. The university says they investigated and found no evidence of this, and the multiple journalists are saying its bunk.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The "purposefully trying to give each other Covid and gambling on it" sounds like the rainbow party bullshit boomers made up a decade ago. I'm sure college students are going to parties and contracting Covid that way, but a single Tuscaloosa county city councilmember and the local fire chief are not exactly perfect sources information for the behavior of college students. The university says they investigated and found no evidence of this, and the multiple journalists are saying its bunk.
Yeah I don't believe this shit at all.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017

Wired said:
The latest version of the tale, from Alabama, follows the same pattern as the others. It appears to be the product of a weird game of telephone mixed with loose talk from public officials and disgracefully sloppy journalism. On Tuesday, Tuscaloosa fire chief Randy Smith told the city council that his department had heard about parties "where students or kids would come in with known positives." It sounded like just a rumor, Smith said, but "not only did the doctors' offices help confirm it, but the state also confirmed they had the same information."

You'll notice immediately that Smith didn't say anything about people trying to get sick, let alone betting on who could do it first. So why is everyone saying that's what happened? The notion seems to have originated with McKinstry, who shared it with ABC News after the meeting. It's not clear whether McKinstry had a source for this idea, and she did not reply to WIRED's request for comment. The Alabama Department of Health responded with a statement that it "has not been able to verify such parties have taken place." It's not even clear that the fire chief had it right about kids going to parties while knowing they were sick. (The Tuscaloosa Fire Department did not reply to a request for comment, either.) But that didn't stop the dogpile of national media outlets repeating and amplifying the Covid betting-pot story as if it were fact.

This is exactly the sort of dumb media hysteria bullshit that spreads because of credulous reporters believing uninformed public officials spreading a story that confirms people's pre-existing biases. If these things are actually happening it should be trivial to find someone who's participated (the same way reporters have found plenty of people who have done other dumb covid-related shit).