• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Even a more recent show like Peep Show has aged relatively poorly or rather, is a time capsule for pre-2008 Western opulence, because of Mark Corrigan's material wealth.

Despite being from an upper middle class family, they are nouveau broke because Mark was 'privately educated until dad's British Aerospace shares went kaput' and he has clearly had to live more frugally into adulthood but despite that, by his late twenties, he owns a two bedroom flat from a loan manager position at a middling credit company. This is all but unthinkable for the British millennial in 2020 who is most likely trapped in some form of rent slavery. (Even Jeremy is clearly from an at least middle class background and was brought into the lower classes by trauma caused by his father abandoning him)

The changing financial situation of Britain is actually covered in the show in the series post-2008, with the long-standing employer of Mark, JLB credit going under, and Mark's continuing frugality, where we even see him abandon owning a mobile phone due to it's costs.

Also, one of my favourite scenes in the final series is when a younger character calls out Jeremy for his 'Gen-X slacker bullshit' - he lives his lifestyle out of laziness and attachment to the aesthetic of the struggling artist despite being constantly bailed out financially by Mark and his mother and having no perceptible musical talent.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Happy Endings, the best sitcom, just explained this away by everyone being lowkey rich. Besides you know, the two living in the slum.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
As a kid the weirdest one of these to me was Kramer. How the fuck was he able to afford an apartment in NY?
If he got a lease in the 80s and is rent controlled his rent is probably very cheap. NYC one bedrooms in the early 90s/late 80s could be <$700/mo in today's money. I mean yeah he has no job, but a lucky gambling night or some random misadventure could set him good for a few months.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Reminds me of Malcolm in the Middle. Parents had about 4-5 kids while the mum worked retail and no idea what the dad did.
The dad had an office job I think, so it's possible. Malcolm's family is supposed to be lower to solid middle class that doesn't save much money, which in many places of the US used to be able to afford decent sized homes. Of course all these sitcoms are tv shows that have their locations for practical or aesthetic reasons, but it is true things used to be cheaper.

Someone said Homer made $25k~. Adjusted for inflation that could be $50k today and things were cheaper back then. And they don't save much money lol, so most could go to the mortgage.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Syder What would have been the price of a two bedroom flat in Croydon in like 2003 when the show started?
This is a good question and worth looking into; housing prices in London have absolutely skyrocketed over the past five+ years or so. When the show first came out, they would have been much lower.

A 2 bed in Croydon now is like £300,000+ (or £1,000 - 1,500 to rent) and surely far outside a loan manager's grasp to buy (Mark never mentions mortgage payments IIRC).

Mark brags about earning 'above the average annual salary' in Series 4 and in Series 6, Sophie's father tries to entice Mark into moving into Nanna's cottage with a £40k salary. We see Mark has the flat from before the show starts and is probably on around £25k-30k at that time in 2003, if I had to guess. [This may need more research]

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I have a two bedroom house.....

Because my uncle died, and we sold his house that my grandfather built. It's the only way a millennial can afford a house.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of Malcolm in the Middle. Parents had about 4-5 kids while the mum worked retail and no idea what the dad did.

Over the course of that show they constantly had financial trouble. Francis emancipated at 16 or so, so they didn't provide for him much past that. Reese and Malcolm both had jobs and it's remarked in an episode or two that almost their entire paycheck went to the family. They had constant credit card debt and let the house go to rot. When Lois lost her job it was enough to basically put them into dire straits; same when Hal's company went under and tried to have him tried for their financial malfeasance. It's probably one of the more realistic sitcoms for cash issues.

Oct 27, 2017
fl
man this hirts cause im trying to build credit to buy a home. feels like i cant win sometimes.. but if he can do it i can too.. i guess

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just to point out, after Al's speech, the Librarian counters, saying that the fact that Al hasn't killed himself is what makes him a loser, not a winner, because a winner would follow through (aka, she tries to say that a winner would have killed themselves).

She was a seriously hateful woman, who admits that she hated Al because Al's family was poor (meaning, the father who built the house and left it to Al), and therefore young Al couldn't afford to pay the overdue fines on his late books. She actively sabotaged young Al's education by refusing to lend him the book that he told her he needed for his book report, and her presence drove him away from the library entirely. (Although for being unreasonably terrorized by a terrible adult, young Al definitely gives as good as he gets.)

Librarian: "You know, it's funny. I could've given you amnesty on the book. I would have for anybody else. But I always hated you. Is it wrong to hate a nine year old boy? No. Not when that boy is you."

This horrible person stayed alive for decades out of pure spite, just for the chance to nail Al on that one lost book.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Homer's a safety inspector at a nuclear power plant. That's probably a well paying career. The question is WHY is someone as incompetent as him allowed to have that job.

Mr. Burns is senile and rich as fuck. He doesn't notice that 90k a year gets pissed away on some bozo who sleeps at a control panel.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It's because it's hard to film a typical sitcom in a tiny ass house or apartment when you need a camera crew and a huge cast so every supposedly struggling working class family have the houses of a well off family

The Roseanne show had the same thing

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I think now finally most show runners realize the absurdity of a Starbucks barista affording a 1000 sq ft NYC apartment, or whatever

Though lot of it has to do with the old economy. In the 80s an assistant manager at Payless Shoes had probably obtained "the American dream"

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Not everything is oversight from writers.
Al could have just inherited the house like many do. Other people who live in NYC in old sitcoms is also not impossible.
People bought multistorage houses in Berlin in Prenzlauer Berg, in the beginning of the nineties for dirt cheap. Area was run down and only interesting for people with low income, students, artists etc. Now Prenzlauer Berg is one of the most expensive areas in the inner city area.
You can't really look at it with 2020 goggles.

People saying Malcom in the middle? That family was in a deep, constant financial struggle.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Al worked for minimum wage. There was a gag in one of the episodes where he was going through his bills for that month and they added up to several thousand dollars. Even though they did joke there were a lot of bills he didn't pay until he received a final notice, I'm pretty sure Al earned enough to cover the usual bills and Peggy's expenses.

So I think he earned a decent amount but they were never particularly well off nor did they really manage to save any money. The only time that was a thing, Al had been saving up a new car fund and Peggy spent it all on KFC and some coats so it can't really have been that much.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
All sitcoms need enough space to film. Imagine fitting 4 people in tiny space is not fun or funny. Rich or poor, most sitcom set is exactly the same size.

Yeah, it's this.

I wouldn't say they were propaganda as Married with Children and the Simpsons were both essentially satire of the typical american.familty unit ideal.

It's juts a practical thing, similar to how people don't go to work much in sitcoms because realitistically it would limit the time characters have to interact a lot.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
The Grimey scene is partially a nod from the writers commentating on the fact that Homer's life, and the Simpsons life, has gotten increasingly unrealistic over the past 3-4 seasons. The first three seasons definitely talked about money issues way more.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Between 87-91 my parents only brought home right around $26K-31K respectively, combined. Houses weren't that bad back then. $40,000 for our house. Nice neighborhood in Louisiana. 3bdr, 2bath, 1800 sq ft. My dad was in the Air Force, E6 at the time. Mom was a secretary at an engineering firm. It's not unreasonable to think Al couldn't afford the house.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
At least the Connors lived in some god forsaken small town. The Bundys live in Chicago.

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
This is kind of a thing in every show and movie from the 80s/90s.

Like the Home Alone house is ridiculous:
home_alone_house_in_real_life-758x460.png

Father of the Bride:
iu

These are goddamn mansions.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
This actually interests me...

Did he literally work minimum wage? For the entire show? I feel like that's accurate, as he was a shoe salesman in a mall, but can't remember

Peggy didn't have a career, right? Pretty sure that was part of the joke...

Do we know how he acquired the home? They always lived in the same one. Maybe his parents died and left him the house or some money for a down payment?

His kids were teenagers when the show started? So he would have bought in the 70s? And where was this? Chicago suburbs? What was real estate like back then?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
What time period did he buy that house?

My wife's parents just sold this home last week for $360k. They bought in the 80's for $34k.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He was essentially a retail manager.

I remember knowing a guy from college that was making 52k a year as a manager at the GAP (NYC area). Not bad honestly. And this was in the early 2000s.

So not outlandish.

Oct 27, 2017
This is being waaaay overthought.

The show was practically a live action cartoon. And a satire of traditional sitcoms.

Al had a house and a family and a job but also he was miserable and literally left with a nickel after taxes and toaster crumbs in the kitchen. That was the joke.

Oct 25, 2017
Though it's a bit exaggerated given it's a pretty damn low paying job, I can see it depending on when you got the house.

for example, my wife and are are both teachers.

We can barely afford to qualify for a small two bedroom condo for half a million around here.

the educational assistant in my wife's class and her husband, who does the same job, COMBINED make the same amount I do. I know because my wife was an EA a few years ago and the pay raise she got by becoming a teacher was big.

Anyway they own a older but nice 3 bedroom
House with a big yard and have two kids. Difference is they're in their late 50s and paid $175k for that house that is now closer to $800k.

this world sucks

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wow! I can finally provide some help with a question on r/AskHistorians as a lawyer who does some labor, employment, and wage work, and as a big fan of the show. I can at least give some background on what we know about the show and about the wages Al earned while joking with Griff and taking jabs at the rotund customers.

Let's rock:

Some basics on this for those who don't know: The show ran from 1987 to 1997 on Fox, and was (along with The Simpsons) the first hit for the fledgling network.

First, the income analysis. We can look at this in two ways: How much did shoe salesmen earn around that time, and how much Al Bundy actually earned.

We actually know a great deal about how much Al earned. Al earned a base salary plus commission at the store. We know from "My Mom, the Mom" (S03E12) Al earns that way, because he states he earns a 10% commission on each sale. I would say this really tells us how great of a salesman he is, considering how many customers he can insult and still earn those bonuses.

Even better, we actually know Al's base salary! In 'Tis Time to Smell the Roses, S07E23, Al is offered "a year's salary" for an early retirement. How much? $12,000. At 40 hours a week that breaks down to about $5.77/hour. Or $231/week. Of course, Peg spent Al's retirement bonus in a single day, as she is known to do, and Al returned to work the very next day. :-(

How realistic was that for retail employees in general during that time? I found data from 1993 Chicago, showing that retail clerks at that time had a mean weekly salary of $278. So, when you add in Al's commissions, it seems entirely realistic!

Just to add in general: The minimum wage of Illinois in 1991 increased to $4.25/hour. So, again, Al's compensation on the show is very realistic. Jefferson approves!

Now, the matter of the family living arrangements. We know that the Bundy family lives in a "Chicago suburb". The actual exterior shot of the Bundy house is taken from 641 Castlewood Ln, in Deerfield, Illinois. That home sold in 1998, a year after the show went off the air, for $320,000. What's more, we know from 1990 Census data that average home costs for Deerfield, Illinois, were between $1400-$1500 per month for homeowners with a mortgage. So, unless scoring 4 touchdowns in a single game at Polk High came with a big cash bonus (and BTW that fact is extremely relevant at all times), Al wasn't mortgaging a home in Deerfield (using 30% monthly income as the "affordability" figure like most banks).

Uh oh. Not looking good we would realistically see The Dodge parked in that driveway. Historical home values from the county clerk's office suggest that was not a huge sudden increase, either.

So we know Al couldn't swing that particular house, but what about in general? The median home price in 1990 Illinois was $80,100 based on the 1990 Census. But Al didn't BUY the house in 1990. He bought the house sometime before 1987.

Assuming Kelly was a child and Bud was a toddler when they bought the house, which would make sense, they could have purchased it around 1980. In 1980, the average home price in Illinois was $50,004, again using Census data from 1980. Freddie Mac data says the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate was 13.74% that year (oof). That makes the mortgage payment $466, figuring Al scraped up a 20% down payment. We can reasonably estimate $500 with taxes and insurance.

So now, in terms of a median home price and the Bundy family's likely situation, the show makes some sense. In 1987-1997, Al would maybe be able to "afford" that median house he purchased in 1980, as in, make payments, but (especially if he drove most customers away with his fat jokes, and had less commission), it would be a real struggle. The struggle often portrayed by Al's frustration on the show. And why shouldn't he be frustrated? All he wants is to sit on the couch and possibly read the occasional issue of Big Uns (or potentially the special issue with 120 pages - that's 240 "Uns"!).

Pointedly, then, the show's realisticness in terms of their home and arrangements might depend on whether Al drew any income as the founder and President of the National Organization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood.

Further reading? Kelly says reading is for girls who aren't hot. Instead, I suggest watching the show, which is available on Hulu. Grandmaster B approves.

While the exterior of the Bundys house is in Deerfield, IL, the actual address is 9674 Jeopardy Lane.

Now, Chicago's northbound/eastbound/westbound streets dont reach the 9600s. Southbound does. So looking at the longest streets running south that remain in the Chicago city limits we can see that the neighborhoods on 96th St. axis are Vet's Park, Jeffrey Manor, Washington Heights, and Burnside/Roseland.

Now, all these neighborhoods are working class, but they have been historically stratified by race and ethnicity. Of all the neighborhoods the one most likely for the white Bundys to have been living in in the 1980s-1990s is Washington Heights, as its the only neighborhood adjacent to a neighborhood with a sizeable white population (East Beverly/Beverly).

The current average cost per square foot in Washington Heights is $129, while the city average is $243. So to round it for the sake of easy math lets say its about half as much. So lets walk that back to u/BullsLawnDan 's perfectly reasonable purchase year of 1980.

In 1980 the average house in Chicago cost $70k, so that would be $35k in Washington Heights. Using all the previously provided mortgage data and supposing Al afforded 20% down, hes going to be paying $326 on the mortgage. So I would say that he would be paying closer to $350 than $500.

So hes making $924/mo. This puts him a bit above the 28% rule, but still keeps him near the ~30% of income the average American spends on housing.

So in my personal estimation, I think he could very reasonably afford to live his 80s-90s blue collar southside Chicago life.

Edit: this has honestly been my all time favorite reddit post/response and im just happy to be able to weigh in on its gloriousness.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think many people ITT realize how much more affordable it was to live in the 70s and 80s. Like my dad drove dump trucks for a living and was able to buy multiple houses. You could work at a gas station part time, go to school part time, and still afford an apartment of your own, I know that because that's what my older brother did.