• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Just did the math and before taxes, Homer makes $24,523.20 a year. It is literally impossible for him to afford a house + utilities + groceries + other expenses with that, but I guess we're not supposed to question it...

Household Median income in the US as of 1989 (the year The Simpsons started) was $30k.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
You're forgetting the amount of money he was stealing from work.

He pocketed shoe sales money constantly.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry for the hijack, but I see Al Bundy's name and it gives me an occasion to signal boost this fantastic Youtube channel :

Also make sure to watch José's videos about the Roseanne and the Conners show.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
About as realistic as all those sitcoms on Disney Channel and Nick where they live in a mansion in San Francisco or a luxury, multi-story apartment in LA. Dad works pest control, mom's a nurse lol or something like that.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sitcom peeps always live in unrealistic houses or apartments they should never have been able to afford.

TV brainwashing the common people.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
could be a few variables at play in actual reality.

It was probably left to him or low income subsidies, state programs, cheap location etc etc...

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Al inherited the home since there were flashbacks with him as a child in the same house. Beyond that they were eating toaster crumbs and he drove a 20 year old car. Not exactly a winner...

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
That Simpsons pay slip is from 24 years ago lol.

There was also the episode where Homer left his job at the power plant to work in bowling for minimum wage which he liked more but had to go back to the higher paying job to support Maggie. It's not that he's dirt poor, but he is poor for a person who had to support three kids and a wife

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Sitcom peeps always live in unrealistic houses or apartments they should never have been able to afford.

TV brainwashing the common people.

I think the exceptions are Seinfeld (Jerry's apartment is nice but not absurd, and he's supposed to be making decent money) and maybe Chandler from Friends, who I remember as being extremely well-compensated.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This sideplot in this episode was like a dream scenario for me as a kid. You, by some technicality, are endowed with a giant piece of real estate that you and a friend can fuck around in.

It's also an example of the layered joke-telling that made classic Simpsons so good. It doesn't matter that the factory is rundown and Bart acquired it for nothing and Frank Grimes doesn't knowit, it just adds to Grimes' disillusionment with the situation he's in

There's also the meta joke about Homer going to space that flirts with the idea that they've passed the point where they ran out of grounded stories to tell in the show
Grimy, as he liked to be called, probably would have been in a better financial situation if he didn't blow his money on hookers.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I think the exceptions are Seinfeld (Jerry's apartment is nice but not absurd, and he's supposed to be making decent money) and maybe Chandler from Friends, who I remember as being extremely well-compensated.

Chandler and Ross were pretty much the only two making good money consistently throughout the show.

Also never forget Monica, the cook/chef/linecook that has the most free time in the entire world.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's the issue with sitcoms. They're essentially wish fulfillment.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
Grimy, as he liked to be called, probably would have been in a better financial situation if he didn't blow his money on hookers.

He was a very frugal guy. He probably payed for them with coupons.
latest

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was something my family and I always noticed as well. Even today there are shows where I'm like "who is working, and paying for all of this?"

Most recently watched Euphoria and it was taking me out of the show a bit because I kept thinking "who is paying for any of this and why do none of these 17-18 yo kids have job?" Like Cassie and Lexi live in an amazing home and their mom is seen at home at all hours of the day drinking wine non stop and their dad left them and is a drug addict that has to steal fine China from them to pay for his next high. So what gives? I eventually get over it, but I always feel like the odd person out for noticing it.

Disability? Child support maybe trust fund. Lots of reasons that can happen.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did he work for minimum wage? He was a shoe salesman, right? I think it was metaphorical. Working for a shitty boss, being stepped on, having to be on your knees a lot, having to deal with smelly feet, etc.

yah, people miss the point of the show. Al lived in a hell of his own creation. He was his own worst enemy, etc. If he were a caring father and a loving husband chances are his life would have been much happier.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
As a kid the weirdest one of these to me was Kramer. How the fuck was he able to afford an apartment in NY?
The real Kramer had already made it rich through some inventions of his, I believe, which probably the inspiration for the TV Kramer.

The TV Kramer's a bit inconsistent. Sometimes it's suggested that he's legitimately broke and has to mooch off of Jerry, there are other points where he does seem to be more in line with reality.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The real Kramer had already made it rich through some inventions of his, I believe, which probably the inspiration for the TV Kramer.

The TV Kramer's a bit inconsistent. Sometimes it's suggested that he's legitimately broke and has to mooch off of Jerry, there are other points where he does seem to be more in line with reality.
what did he invent?

grand

Oct 25, 2017
This is 100% the Simpsons dilemma (though Homer was likely making BANK as an unqualified safety inspector. Thank god for that early episode to justify the next 30 years lol). But ultimately that was the middle class ideal of the late 80s and early 90s which was portrayed in every sitcom.

Far more unrealistic was Friends. Nothing about that show was grounded in economic or demographic reality

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure there was an episode about the hammer Al's male family members used to attempt to build a room for themselves but were never successful at doing so. Which tells me Al wasn't paying for that house.

Peg stayed home to do nothing but watch the kids, eat bon-bons, and buy shit from the home shopping network, so it's not like they had to pay for daycare. But he was barely making enough to put food on the table and clothes on their back.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Roseanne had a pretty justifiable setup. They lived in a low wage working city, had a moderate sized house with two working parents, and making ends meet because of money being tight was kind of the crux of the show (up until the last two seasons)
And they had like two or three mortgages on the house.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Eh, Roseanne had a pretty justifiable setup. They lived in a low wage working city, had a moderate sized house with two working parents, and making ends meet because of money being tight was kind of the crux of the show (up until the last two seasons)
With Roseanne it's said that they have multiple mortgages out on the house, but at the same time have episodes where they are unable to pay the power bill. After Dan loses his bike shop and Roseanne is out of work they very nearly do lose the house, until Bev steps in and helps Roseanne and Jackie open up that diner(I believe Dan goes back to being a contract drywaller at this point).

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
yah, people miss the point of the show. Al lived in a hell of his own creation. He was his own worst enemy, etc. If he were a caring father and a loving husband chances are his life would have been much happier.

This is an interesting take. In retrospect it makes sense. I think this is partially intended by the writers especially later on, but I think the first season is all "poor Al"

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Should be said that Homer lucked into his job. It's shown that the reason he even works at the plant in the first place is because he assured Mr. Burns he would be a pushover employee that would be completely at his whim in a flashback, although before that it's shown that he obtained his current position by threatening litigation because of the numerous safety violations found throughout the plant, and Mr. Burns essentially buying him off. Pretty good for a guy that didn't even officially graduate high school until he was in his late 30s, let alone having any sort of college degree.

Although in "And Maggie Makes Three" it's shown that Homer is able to pay off all his debts before Maggie comes along, enabling him to work at the bowling alley, which must mean their house is actually paid for.

Last edited:

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Assuming kelly was 16 in the show, maybe they bought the house in 1971 - just as she was born. Google tells me minimum wage was around $1.15 an hour then in illinois. The average home price was around $30k.

He did have second jobs every now and then too. Maybe he had help with a down payment and just eeked by. He seems to have had the same car and clothes for the whole series.

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Toaster leave-ins, weenie tots and Girly Girl beer are everything Al ate, on the rare occasions he DID eat, so the rest was spent on the home