• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Were things really that different during the 1980s? Nowadays owning a house and raising children would be with minimum wage is very unusual. However, I have a feeling that even that portrayal was not entirely realistic.

Oct 25, 2017
This actually interests me...

Did he literally work minimum wage? For the entire show? I feel like that's accurate, as he was a shoe salesman in a mall, but can't remember

Peggy didn't have a career, right? Pretty sure that was part of the joke...

Do we know how he acquired the home? They always lived in the same one. Maybe his parents died and left him the house or some money for a down payment?

His kids were teenagers when the show started? So he would have bought in the 70s? And where was this? Chicago suburbs? What was real estate like back then?

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that was his family's house and he never bought it, some people don't move out of their family's place (haven't seen it)

This actually interests me...

Did he literally work minimum wage? For the entire show? I feel like that's accurate, as he was a shoe salesman in a mall, but can't remember

Peggy didn't have a career, right? Pretty sure that was part of the joke...

Do we know how he acquired the home? They always lived in the same one. Maybe his parents died and left him the house or some money for a down payment?
I seem to recall the home being mentioned as the historic Bundy "estate" and such. It seems like he couldn't afford a house, it was left to him.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
In the flashbacks you can see his father lived there too. Maybe it was his parents house.
And Kelly ain't need Al money, shes pretty she don't paid for stuffs.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Dude and the family survive off of Tang and pudding pops, I'm sure all that money that they save can afford them that type of living. Even off of minimum wage.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Yep... maybe not the minimum wage part, but my Dad worked in the trades during the 80s and 90s and ours was a single income family with five people... we never starved and they owned their own home. This is all an example of how far they destroyed the middle class with Reganomics and rampant inflation.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
He never paid taxes and he stole cash from the register probably all the time. This guy had cash for sure.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
This is a trope of a ton of 80/90s sitcoms that got some scrutiny in the 21st century.

Frank Grimes straight up calls Homer out on it in that episode of the Simpsons.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think Al made minimum wage. I believe he got commission from each pair of shoes he sold.

Oct 26, 2017
Was something my family and I always noticed as well. Even today there are shows where I'm like "who is working, and paying for all of this?"

Most recently watched Euphoria and it was taking me out of the show a bit because I kept thinking "who is paying for any of this and why do none of these 17-18 yo kids have job?" Like Cassie and Lexi live in an amazing home and their mom is seen at home at all hours of the day drinking wine non stop and their dad left them and is a drug addict that has to steal fine China from them to pay for his next high. So what gives? I eventually get over it, but I always feel like the odd person out for noticing it.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda like the Homer Simpson and the Connors situation too

A Nuclear Safety Inspector is NOT a minimum wage job. Homer should've been making anywhere from 70k-100k depending on factors. Still probably not enough to afford a 4 bedroom house + expenses, but that's probably why they're always broke.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure his dad built that house with a magic hammer.

249122.jpg

Last edited:

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Bud is smart and Kelly is pretty, they later got a job and not depend on Al anymore. Al didn't even pay for Bud's college, he got grant.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017

I looked it up how much a nuclear safety engineer makes and they make about $93,000. So Homer Simpson does make good money, enough to support Marge, Lisa, Bart and maintain a steady home.

Homer has is good as a middle class worker.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Roseanne had a pretty justifiable setup. They lived in a low wage working city, had a moderate sized house with two working parents, and making ends meet because of money being tight was kind of the crux of the show (up until the last two seasons)

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's a good illustration of how generational wealth works - that your parents and their parents owning land and other necessities makes "living wage" look very, very different from group to group.

You don't see many sitcoms about white families jammed into apartments and condos. The "floor" looks very different for that demographic - though that's changing rapidly.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Even without going too far into the weeds with the details... Al and Peggy are probably mid to late 30's at the start of the series... so we're not even talking about housing prices in the 80's but likely housing prices in the 70's. And back then there was a much more clear cut Lower/Middle/Upper class. So I don't think them owning a home all that far fetched, especially as the show constantly talked about them not being able to afford food and things like that, so one could assume most if not all of the money went to basic necessities.

The Simpsons is similar but they live in an even smaller town and Homer works at the Power Plant, the largest company in the town which is probably basically Springfield's lifeline.

The Connors... I can't really recall enough details about but I remember it also being a small town and the family being portrayed as barely being able to keep their heads above water.

Basically in all of these examples, you can't just look at the size of the house but also consider the town they live in and the housing prices relative to when they would have first purchased. The Bundy's probably live in the most expensive area since it was Chicago suburbs but it was likely still a purchase made before Minimum Wage and Cost of Living were as wildly far apart as they are now.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I don't know about owning a home but you could probably have a roof over your head at least back then. You might still be homeless working multiple jobs or one missed paycheck away from it nowadays

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Was something my family and I always noticed as well. Even today there are shows where I'm like "who is working, and paying for all of this?"

Most recently watched Euphoria and it was taking me out of the show a bit because I kept thinking "who is paying for any of this and why do none of these 17-18 yo kids have job?" Like Cassie and Lexi live in an amazing home and their mom is seen at home at all hours of the day drinking wine non stop and their dad left them and is a drug addict that has to steal fine China from them to pay for his next high. So what gives? I eventually get over it, but I always feel like the odd person out for noticing it.

I just finished Euphoria and didn't even notice this because my mind was too preoccupied wondering why the teachers weren't spending the entire school day handing out dress code violations to the students like would've happened to all those kids at my school.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
A Nuclear Safety Inspector is NOT a minimum wage job. Homer should've been making anywhere from 70k-100k depending on factors. Still probably not enough to afford a 4 bedroom house + expenses, but that's probably why they're always broke.

That should be enough, assuming Springfield ain't California.

I make the low end of that range and can afford a 5/3 for a family of six (paycheck to paycheck mind you)

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Al was a salesman. He probably made commission and if you've ever actually watched the show, they were broke as hell eating Tang sandwiches.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Burns skimped everywhere though, and Homer only had a high school diploma. The safety inspector position was only created for Homer as a way for Burns to get him off his back when Homer became an activist after getting fired.

According to this, you see in one episode one of his pay stubs which suggests he makes 11.99 an hour:

https://www.vox.com/2016/9/6/12752476/the-simpsons-homer-middle-class

Not minimum wage, but still not great. Interestingly if Homer were a Springfield, OR resident that would fit in with the median income level though.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Homer's a safety inspector at a nuclear power plant. That's probably a well paying career. The question is WHY is someone as incompetent as him allowed to have that job. Can't really explain the Connors situation

Edit: just saw the post above explaining why and good lord he shouldn't be able to afford rent let alone feeding himself and his family too

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
My son Bart, he owns a factory downtown!
This sideplot in this episode was like a dream scenario for me as a kid. You, by some technicality, are endowed with a giant piece of real estate that you and a friend can fuck around in.

It's also an example of the layered joke-telling that made classic Simpsons so good. It doesn't matter that the factory is rundown and Bart acquired it for nothing and Frank Grimes doesn't knowit, it just adds to Grimes' disillusionment with the situation he's in

There's also the meta joke about Homer going to space that flirts with the idea that they've passed the point where they ran out of grounded stories to tell in the show

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Just did the math and before taxes, Homer makes $24,523.20 a year. It is literally impossible for him to afford a house + utilities + groceries + other expenses with that, but I guess we're not supposed to question it...

Don't ask him to explain how the economy works

That's the HOMEOWNERS tax

As a kid the weirdest one of these to me was Kramer. How the fuck was he able to afford an apartment in NY?

He gets by

This sideplot in this episode was like a dream scenario for me as a kid. You, by some technicality, are endowed with a giant piece of real estate that you and a friend can fuck around in.

It's also an example of the layered joke-telling that made classic Simpsons so good. It doesn't matter that the factory is rundown and Bart acquired it for nothing and Frank Grimes doesn't knowit, it just adds to Grimes' disillusionment with the situation he's in

There's also the meta joke about Homer going to space that flirts with the idea that they've passed the point where they ran out of grounded stories to tell in the show

It was a brilliant melding of the episode subplot into the A plot. Really was the golden age of that show.