• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
After watching a great toco toco documentary on this guy, I was shocked to not realize, until now, just how influential he really was.

I was even more blown away by his 2003 interview translated on Shmupulations.

—But this same Nishitani-Yasuda team would later give birth to the masterpiece Street Fighter II.

Yasuda: That's right. But during Forgotten Worlds, we found ourselves in the midst of a serious ROM production crisis and our production capacity dropped to 20%.

wasn't faring well either.

—You got to witness first-hand the difference between Japanese and American tastes.

Yasuda: I asked one of the Capcom USA employees, and another Japanese person who was living in America, what the reason for this was. What I learned was that, in America, it appeared that game centers used a token system, where people would buy a bunch of tokens and then use them in a flurry all at once. In other words, while Japanese people would treat an arcade game as something you spent 100 yen on for each play, in contrast Americans would buy all their tokens up front and then buy multiple credits for a game in one go. They weren't trying to clear the stages on one coin; they just wanted to have a good time punching and beating stuff up.

I realized then that if Capcom wanted to succeed in America, we were going to have to make an about-face and create a game like Double Dragon or Datsugoku. With those thoughts in my head I returned to Japan, and the new game I thought up was Final Fight.

—That makes sense. A belt-scrolling fighter.

Yasuda: I was really aggressive about my ideas when I got back. Nishitani had not been to America, so I was the only one insisting that we had to change course. But Nishitani was very smart, and he soon grasped the situation, and he helped me out on the planning for Final Fight.

The first and most important thing was that I wanted to make an action game with better movement than Double Dragon or P.O.W. To that end I added a jump button, plus the ability to do different attacks depending on how many times you hit the attack button.

I also wanted to improve the efficiency of our development process. With Mahjong Gakuen, I had experienced how adding more people could speed up the development: we used about 20 people to make Mahjong Gakuen and muscled through it in a month. I was excited to see what amazing feats we could pull off with a properly organized development, and I was very eager to put that experience to use on Final Fight.

—You were moving on from a time-intensive, craftsman approach to game development, towards a more efficient, factory-like development.

Yasuda: On a good day I could draw 8 animation patterns. At the same time, two graphics designers could be working on pixel art, and two designers could work on backgrounds. In this way we established an assembly-line style division of labor. As a result, amazingly we managed to finish Final Fight in half a year!
4003083cd1ce9bdf927ae4242ee314a4.jpg
17y4u2iwdkemajpg.jpg

efd.png

So this guy not only did the art for a shit ton of Capcom's library, but also contributed to the actual game design.

Let's talk about his great work in games. Also on Gundam.

Turn.A.Gundam.full.958447.jpg

WHOOPS! I did not see "Appreciation Thread" as implying he died. Real sorry, all! Can the mods change the title for better accuracy?

Last edited:

Tracker_TD

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the thread title scared me until I read "Appreciation"

anyway I found it funny/cool when he drew that Bowsette meme from last year

krg

Oct 27, 2017
holy shit! I read the title and for a second it gave me the impression he passed away... wtf.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Great artist. Also extremely thirsty. I like that he wants to remake SF2 and will work for free if Capcom ever asked.

Screen%2BShot%2B09-26-16%2Bat%2B07.25%2BPM.PNG

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Great artist. Also extremely thirsty. I like that he wants to remake SF2 and will work for free if Capcom ever asked.

Screen%2BShot%2B09-26-16%2Bat%2B07.25%2BPM.PNG
...I mean, this is presented like a cute story, but all I got from it was a man shouting his fetishes at a woman. The art is great, but he sounds pretty horrible in this story to be honest.

CyberCaesar

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
If only Capcom could find a writer half as passionate as Akiman is about his art, maybe then Street Fighter would still be on top of Mortal Kombat. Akira Yasuda is legend.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A woman asked him, why is this like this and he began getting angry passionate about his fetishes

That shit is kinda weird tbh

Ah okay! As a non-native English speaker I didn't understand that the verb "shouting" implies he was angry, I thought maybe he was shouting in surprise or laughingly or something.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
...I mean, this is presented like a cute story, but all I got from it was a man shouting his fetishes at a woman. The art is great, but he sounds pretty horrible in this story to be honest.
That was my impression as well. Just look at the weird fetishistic Chun Li skins he designed for SFV. One is wearing fucking baby clothes....guy seems like a weirdo.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Regarding the fetish-y stuff, hasn't Akiman also done a load of hentai stuff (including stuff around a cosplayer, too)? It's possible I'm thinking of someone else, but the Shimomura quote half-triggered some kind of memory.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A really amazing artist, and also a total pervert.

Regarding the fetish-y stuff, hasn't Akiman also done a load of hentai stuff (including stuff around a cosplayer, too)? It's possible I'm thinking of someone else, but the Shimomura quote half-triggered some kind of memory.
Yes, he did. With cosplayer Ushijima Iiniku.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OgdyeYf.jpg

The best thing about his Chun Li is she actually looks a bit Chinese, unlike with the other art styles of the series where everyone just looks "manga"

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At one point, [Yasuda] wanted to live a healthy life, so he said, "OK I'm going to drink milk." So he'd always buy these little packs of milk. He'd be working, and then he'd reach down to his little milk packs and drink them.

Around his desk, he had like 100 of these packs. So he'd grab one, shake it, and whenever he'd find one with milk in it, he'd drink it and put it back, without even looking at it. And he never knew what the expiration dates were.

So he started drinking milk to be healthy, but he was always complaining he had diarrhea.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Akiman is a fucking weirdo (pervy af) and his weirdness is hilarious.

My favorite Akiman stories are in here https://www.polygon.com/a/street-fighter-2-oral-history/

In 1985, artist Akira Yasuda showed up to a Capcom job interview dressed in pajamas and a tie. He left his portfolio at home, saying fans stole his work because it was too good. Asked why he chose pajamas, he replied he wanted to look presentable and that was the only thing he owned with a collar.

Capcom developer Yoshiki Okamoto sat on the other side of the room, amused by Yasuda's antics. Okamoto, himself known for pranks and outlandish behavior, liked Yasuda's work.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
That was my impression as well. Just look at the weird fetishistic Chun Li skins he designed for SFV. One is wearing fucking baby clothes....guy seems like a weirdo.
Lol it's not baby clothes, it's Chinese sleepwear, like this:

bab70a635627f45e3b09b1fac6d05cfe--silk-pajamas-traditional-fashion.jpg

But yes, she looks very weird due to her proportions and the odd pouch thing and ...Crocs.

I thought you were going to mention the "training" costume. That's much worse.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely an eccentric but his art is untouchable. Constant inspiration for me.

OP
OP
Don Fluffles

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised that, among all the Capcom/ex-Capcom stars - Shinji Mikami, Hideki Kamiya, Keiji Inafune, etc. - we rarely talk about this insanely talented guy.

Is it his lewder stuff? Because Star Ocean V was a dud? Or Red Dead Revolver's pre-Rockstar troubles?

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Nice OP. Love this guys work and nostalgic as it's part of my gaming childhood. Street Fighter Alpha artwork is some of my favorite in all of gaming.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol it's not baby clothes, it's Chinese sleepwear, like this:

bab70a635627f45e3b09b1fac6d05cfe--silk-pajamas-traditional-fashion.jpg

But yes, she looks very weird due to her proportions and the odd pouch thing and ...Crocs.

I thought you were going to mention the "training" costume. That's much worse.
The training costume doesn't look like baby clothes to me? In any case, do you know who designed the Battle Costume? I don't think it was Akiman.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
He made Chun's 3S sprite and animated it himself because nobody else wanted to do it at the time.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Akiman's art still echoing through the look of modern Street Fighter games shows how inspiring his works are

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The training costume doesn't look like baby clothes to me? In any case, do you know who designed the Battle Costume? I don't think it was Akiman.
No I'm saying the training costume is a better example of whatever fetish he may have. No idea about the Battle Costume unfortunately.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017

domstah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ATX
He would fall asleep at his desk during production of Red Dead Revolver, with Gundam art on one screen and "Playboy.com" on the other.

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Capcom had a shit ton of great artists back in the day though some are still there. Akiman, Kinu Nishimura, Edayan, Bengus, Ikeno....so much talent.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I had to unfollow his twitter since it's at least 50% pervy stuff, but yeah I freaking love his art. Top 3 Capcom artist for sure.