• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

Amazon.co.jp: Limited Edition
Amazon.co.jp: Limited Edition with Amazon exclusive B2 poster

https://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/cont/item/BCQA-0009

Hypersonic remix (Dolby TrueHD), 2001 remix (AC3) and original 1988 Dolby Stereo mix (PCM) are included. English sub and dub too, most likely the 2001 Pioneer dub.

Hell yes.

Day fucking 0 for the 4k Remaster. Please do it in Dolby vision. This thing needs love
This.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This new movie/tv series will be horrible 3D CGI anime crap guaranteed, sigh. Also, I already have the Blu-ray of Akira, not interested in buying it a 4th time - VHS, DVD, Blu-ray so far and that is enough for me, especially since I don't own a 4k player as Sony cheaped out on the PS4 Pro.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
This is amazing news - the 4k Akira, complete works AND a new film. I will be all over them when they release in 10 years time.
I thought you were joking. Then I checked Ebay.

I paid £8 for that 20+ years ago, and think I still have it.

I'm laughing! :D
The Genga art book is also going for silly prices, despite only being released a few years back. It's a beautiful book, but not worth that kind of money.

I hate the internet's second hand book market with a passion.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
When people ask me what my favourite films are, Akira is in the list and it's usually with people saying "huh, what?" afterwards.

A legendary film. Cannot wait for remaster. Still need a game version of it though!!

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Wow. I can't imagine the series will live up to expectations but I'm looking forward to it anyway.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017

Amazon.co.jp: Limited Edition
Amazon.co.jp: Limited Edition with Amazon exclusive B2 poster

https://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/cont/item/BCQA-0009

Hypersonic remix (Dolby TrueHD), 2001 remix (AC3) and original 1988 Dolby Stereo mix (PCM) are included. English sub and dub too, most likely the 2001 Pioneer dub.

I preordered this at Japanese LE prices because I'm a crazy person.

Also because this ships to the US if you don't get the poster, should be in the same region, and has English dub and subs.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Man, I still need to read the manga. But glad to hear they're adapting it as I've heard nothing but great things. I've been eyeing that massive Viz collection for a while, hoping for a sale.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will buy all of these things. I really hope the complete Akira is hand drawn animation and not CGI.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
the new akira series is going to be some terrible looking cg thing
excited for the 4k remaster though

TheGameshark

Oct 27, 2017
Catonsville, MD
I'm a huge otomo fan and have been wanting to read Domu for a while but the prices are outrageous. Glad it's getting a re release. Interested to see what this Akira series is going to look like. Glad they're going to tell the stuff that happened in the other like 4 volumes. I imagine there will be some cgi but hopefully it's not all over the place.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Holy shit.
I don't expect this to measure up to the original film but just seeing the second half of the manga adapted is something I've wanted for years.

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of debbie downers in this thread.

Yes, most possibly the new series won't be as good, animation-wise, as the classic film, but with that high standard, I guess we should have to cancel 99.99% of anime production in Japan. They still can make a good product.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
When I heard about a new Akira series based on the manga my dumb unoriginal brain made the obvious Akira: Brotherhood joke, but now that I think about it... that wouldn't be the most ill-fitting title.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome. As influential as the neon metropolis of the Anime is, I always preferred the post apocalyptic parts of the manga more.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Overall, i think I prefer the movie.
For starters I think Tetsuo's arch is better balanced over the length of the movie compared to the manga, where he basically goes batshit right away in the first chapter.
And contrary to most, I really liked the twist that Akira had been just a bunch of organs in jars for a while.
Not to mention the amazing OST adds a lot to it and to the overall aesthetics of the production.

But yeah, there's stuff from the manga that deserves an adaptation; not a low budget one though.

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
Can't wait for the origin story of the Akira name, Solo style: "Ah, Kira, here you are. Take a seat."'

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
I await for the new series to be revealed as being completely 3D.

Ugh. This. I want to be optimistic about it because I adore the manga and think it's a far more solid narrative than the film, but a 3D manga adaptation would very likely cheapen the legacy of this film's groundbreaking animation. And I do not see Sunrise shelling out the nearly infinite funds required to create the original film to meticulously hand-draw an anime series

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Series will be some 3D CG garbage, like Berserk and new GitS SAC. And if they're just now having discussions about it, I imagine it's many years away.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
6GDfjhN.gif

giphy.gif

This right here is the best post I've seen all year.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd also do a reprint of the colored manga

Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't ever reprinted it, but it may be something to do with the translation? In the sense of, I'm not sure if the translator owns the copyright to the translation, which may prevent an easy reprint. Otherwise, it could just be red-tape, or bad blood - it was published under the Epic imprint by Marvel, and I seem to remember higher-ups wanting to push the series out ASAP whilst the colourist was taking ages.

I own both the original releases, and a scan of them, and It really is a work of art, but there's no doubt a newer release would look even better.